• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

If you really want to be scientific about this, there is no way to tell from the reports if the phones were warped/bent after they were unboxed or if they came that way unless someone immediately checked out the phone with a ruler or whatnot when unboxing it and then again later. Also, it's nearly impossible to verify if some of the pictures are legitamate complaints or are a result of someone purposefully bending the phone for the Internet hits.

I agree completely, people really jumped to conclusions with the whole "bend gate" scenario.

Mononoke

Banned
From what I can tell they're warping, not bending. I've seen a few bends, but I chock that up to db Pete doing dumb things.

Yeah the issue is warping over time and not a strong pressure bending the phone. Would a better test be slight pressure over an extended period of time to see if it warps? Ie. Testing more realistic pressure situations like being in jeans over a period of time.

Yeah the issue is warping over time and not a strong pressure bending the phone. Would a better test be slight pressure over an extended period of time to see if it warps? Ie. Testing more realistic pressure situations like being in jeans over a period of time.

In this situation I'd say the best test would be to measure the temperature inside of someone's jeans after doing moderate physical activity, and then apply the heat to the phones while compressing them. From the stories I've read I really do think heat is bigger factor over pressure. Kind of like a moderately warm iron lol.

Mononoke

Banned
In this situation I'd say the best test would be to measure the temperature inside of someone's jeans after doing moderate physical activity, and then apply the heat to the phones while compressing them. From the stories I've read I really do think heat is bigger factor over pressure. Kind of like a moderately warm iron lol.

Interesting. If heat plays a factor, I wonder if having a case on it even helps at all. I just figured the extra support against the back would help prevent it. I also put the glass side against my body. Might all be pointless and won't help a thing.

DOWN

Banned
The 6+ fits my hand like a glove.

OT3XxPS.jpg

Sure, if you don't ever need to use the keyboard.

Interesting. If heat plays a factor, I wonder if having a case on it even helps at all. I just figured the extra support against the back would help prevent it. I also put the glass side against my body. Might all be pointless and won't help a thing.

Honestly you probably have nothing to worry about lol. A case will work fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I've definitely got smaller hands and using the keyboard isn't a problem, even one-handed.

Just hold the phone so that your pinky is supporting the base of the phone around the charging port.

http://youtu.be/gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

Video #2

Bendghazi 2 - Bend Harder

This one actually does look fake. He actually has his fingers in the middle of the phone like the tests done by consumer reports which report 90 lbs of pressure and that thumb push was not even 20 pounds of pressure in the middle of the phone not the volume rockers. It's almost as if he is trying to justify his first video and doing it in front of an audience sort of like David Blain and the audience reacts with ooohs

This one actually does look fake. He actually has his fingers in the middle of the phone like the tests done by consumer reports which report 90 lbs of pressure and that thumb push was not even 20 pounds of pressure in the middle of the phone not the volume rockers. It's almost as if he is trying to justify his first video and doing it in front of an audience sort of like David Blain

He's also providing upwards force along with the force pushing down. They really aren't comparable.

He's also providing upwards force along with the force pushing down. They really aren't comparable.

There is upward force In the consumer force too. Have you studied science? When you apply the downward force the sides where the phones rest on each corner has a comparable upward force

I've definitely got smaller hands and using the keyboard isn't a problem, even one-handed.

Just hold the phone so that your pinky is supporting the base of the phone around the charging port.

Pretty much. I typed the exact same way on my iPhone 5. Always supported it so it doesn't slip downwards and out of my hand. Typing with one hand isn't a problem.

Is it just me or has anyone put up an iPhone 6 and the 6 Plus and felt the iPhone 6 screen to be superior to the Plus?

I know it has lower resolution but the colors or the sharpness on my iPhone 6 beats the iPhone 6 Plus. I have them both and I took them inside a dark room, set them both at equal brightness and I've gone through the home screen, few pictures and especially web browsing where the sharpness seems to be better on the iPhone 6 rather than the 6 Plus. I like the colors that seem to be warmer and giving out a much natural look than the 6 Plus.

Has anyone noticed this yet or is it just me?

According to Apple's tech specs the 6 has a slightly higher contrast ratio than the 6+. Not sure how of a real life impact this has but it's something. Personally I love the screen on my 6.

Is it just me or has anyone put up an iPhone 6 and the 6 Plus and felt the iPhone 6 screen to be superior to the Plus?

I know it has lower resolution but the colors or the sharpness on my iPhone 6 beats the iPhone 6 Plus. I have them both and I took them inside a dark room, set them both at equal brightness and I've gone through the home screen, few pictures and especially web browsing where the sharpness seems to be better on the iPhone 6 rather than the 6 Plus. I like the colors that seem to be warmer and giving out a much natural look than the 6 Plus.

Has anyone noticed this yet or is it just me?

Science says you are wrong
http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the iPhone 6 Plus is the Best performing Smartphone LCD display that we have ever tested.

RoKKeR

So I haven't had my phone go under 50% battery yet so far with 4~5 days of use... should I drain the battery over the weekend?

Thinking about trying out a 6+ after only using Android. Not that i'm not happy with my Android phones I just wanna see whats all the hype about for iOS. Little scared to take the dive though.

BFIB

According to Apple's tech specs the 6 has a slightly higher contrast ratio than the 6+. Not sure how of a real life impact this has but it's something. Personally I love the screen on my 6.
Agreed. I was a major basher on the screen resolution early on, but that's what I get for doubting Apple when it comes to displays.

Sean

Banned
Google Hangouts app takes a ridiculous amount of battery. I've typed literally two quick messages on it all day and it has used up 33% of my iPhone battery (just from "Background activity") today according to battery usage screen.

Did a quick search on Twitter for "Hangouts battery" and found a lot of people complaining about it too.

Thinking about trying out a 6+ after only using Android. Not that i'm not happy with my Android phones I just wanna see whats all the hype about for iOS. Little scared to take the dive though.
That's what I'm doing. Look at it this way: Android will likely only get better while you're away, and you can always return if you don't like iOS.

That's what I'm doing. Look at it this way: Android will likely only get better while you're away, and you can always return if you don't like iOS.

Yeah plus I may end up liking it and not switch back. I like to try things before I write them off and since I always used Android (and black berry for work but i fucking hate black berry) its time to try. Especially now they got the big phone.

jetsetrez

Anyone else have WiFi connectivity issues with iPhone 6 and iOS 8 (stock and 8.0.2)? My home wifi works perfectly fine, but at work, almost everything takes like 5-10+ seconds before it finds the server, everything feels super sluggish. Really putting a downer on a wonderful device for me. :(

There is upward force In the consumer force too. Have you studied science? When you apply the downward force the sides where the phones rest on each corner has a comparable upward force

I know, but literally producing two different forces unevenly across a phone is different than using a press that only provides pressure where you want it. I'm an engineer, I know how physics work.

RedAssedApe

Banned
kind of reminds me of that whole ds4 thread in gaming...except in that case people weren't purposely trying to destroy their sticks to show that they were defective lol

like that issue though we probably won't really know if this is an legit issue until further down the line when people have been using the phone for awhile.

frico

Anyone else have WiFi connectivity issues with iPhone 6 and iOS 8 (stock and 8.0.2)? My home wifi works perfectly fine, but at work, almost everything takes like 5-10+ seconds before it finds the server, everything feels super sluggish. Really putting a downer on a wonderful device for me. :(
Yes, fixes I have read about is turning off cellular data while you're on wifi (this helped) and not connecting to the 5ghz band on a router.

I know, but literally producing two different forces unevenly across a phone is different than using a press that only provides pressure where you want it. I'm an engineer, I know how physics work.

So you are saying the bending by the person is more accurate way to measure the bending than consumer reports or Apple , it's ultimately about pressure applied because it bend where his thumbs were applying pressure not where his fingers were

That actually is really good when compared to 5s and standard 6 battery.

I feel like I had similar battery life with my 5s when I first got it. The difference was that my usage might have been different than what it is now, and back then we obviously did not have a breakdown of what app used the battery the most. It was just guess work.

So you are saying the bending by the person is more accurate way to measure the bending than consumer reports or Apple , it's ultimately about pressure applied because it bend where his thumbs were applying pressure not where his fingers were

I never said that, my whole point was that it's possible to bend the phone, even though the lab experiments show that it takes more pressure. In actuality I don't see "bend gate" as an actual issue.

Also I didn't even watch the guy bending with his hands at first. My point was that the consumer reports experiment didn't accurately test what was happening to people's phones.

I never said that, my whole point was that it's possible to bend the phone, even though the lab experiments show that it takes more pressure. In actuality I don't see "bend gate" as an actual issue.

Yes it is but certainly not as easy as the Toronto video. That's 2 Hershey being snapped level of strength

Anyone a Verizon user here? I'm unlimited data no contract right now. Thinking of getting a family share plan since they are talking about throttling unlimited data users anyways. Whats is this edge plan? YOu get a discount on the plan to pay a monthly fee for the phone?

Yes it is but certainly not as easy as the Toronto video. That's 2 Hershey being snapped level of strength

It probably is...what do you do for a living man, you'd be surprised honestly.

I mean let's be real here, it's glass and aluminum. 90lbs of pressure sounds like a lot, but a grown man can definitely produce that easily.

HUELEN10

So... IS there any way to actually watch 1080p video on iPhone 6 Plus at 1:1? I mean, assuming everything is being down-sampled to 1080 X 1920 from 1242 X 2208, wouldn't that mean that 1080p video is being upscaled to 2208 X 1242 from 1920 X 1080, and then down-sampled back to 1920 X 1080 to display it on the screen?

Husker86

So... IS there any way to actually watch 1080p video on iPhone 6 Plus at 1:1? I mean, assuming everything is being down-sampled to 1080 X 1920 from 1242 X 2208, wouldn't that mean that 1080p video is being upscaled to 2208 X 1242 from 1920 X 1080, and then down-sampled back to 1920 X 1080 to display it on the screen?

This is really killing you, isn't it? ;)

Ashhong

Anyone a Verizon user here? I'm unlimited data no contract right now. Thinking of getting a family share plan since they are talking about throttling unlimited data users anyways. Whats is this edge plan? YOu get a discount on the plan to pay a monthly fee for the phone?

Edge is only worth it if you want to upgrade every year and if you are going to want at least 10gb of data. Only then do you get 25$ discount per line. You pay like 32-40$ per phone though.

HUELEN10

This is really killing you, isn't it? ;)
Well no, I don't have a 6 Plus; I am however very curious on how it all works. I mean, if I am understanding everything correctly, it might be impossible to watch true, uncompressed, undoctored, unfiltered 1:1 1080p videos on the thing, which I consider a shame since the IPS panel on the thing is so nice. That, and I want to better-understand things for the sake of a project I've been working on with a friend; truthfully, we both could be more learned.

Edge is only worth it if you want to upgrade every year and if you are going to want at least 10gb of data. Only then do you get 25$ discount per line. You pay like 32-40$ per phone though.

I was planning on doing the 10gb plan though im not sure ill get a new phone every year. thats wasteful

Husker86

I was planning on doing the 10gb plan though im not sure ill get a new phone every year. thats wasteful

Edge and AT&T Next are both great if you keep your phone for a long time, actually. Because once you pay your phone off, your plan price goes down, unlike with contract plans.

But yeah, they really pay off with multiple lines on a 10GB plan.

Edge and AT&T Next are both great if you keep your phone for a long time, actually. Because once you pay your phone off, your plan price goes down, unlike with contract plans.

But yeah, they really pay off with multiple lines on a 10GB plan.

Hmm still thinking about doing it, Think it makes more sense to do edge over a regular 2 year upgrade price? Wish Verizon had better communication on finally bill cost before pulling the trigger on something. I get 22% employee discount thatw ould get factored in some how as well

Roo

PSA for MexiGAF: if anyone is interested, you can get an unlocked iPhone 6 in Linio and they will deliver it on Oct 2nd.

http://www.linio.com.mx/Apple-iPhone-6-16-GB-Desloqueado-Negro-385461.html

64 and 128 models also available.
http://www.linio.com.mx/apple/

jbeYEtCk0zxoCy.png

of course, the most basic model costs around 1200 dollars, LOL.

That's so fucked up in so many levels it's not even funny. Fuck Linio.
I went to Telcel earlier today and the Apple rep told me it definitely wouldn't be as expensive as it is in Linio (at least they're aware of Linio's crazy price tag) Anyway, the guy told me I should wait for all the promotions and stuff Telcel will be doing later this year. I'm not getting this iPhone since I still have 1.5 years to go on my contract but I found it funny the guy was already trying to sell me on the phone when he doesn't even have one for display lol

I'm planning to buy one today but the whole Bendghazi thing is making me have other thoughts and reconsider.
For anybody here who have bought can you please confirm that's it's ok or do I require a buy a hard cover.

Koyuga

I'm planning to buy one today but the whole Bendghazi thing is making me have other thoughts and reconsider.
For anybody here who have bought can you please confirm that's it's ok or do I require a buy a hard cover.
It should be fine unless you intentionally try to bend it. Getting a case to put your mind at ease can't hurt, though.

According to Phone Arena
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Apple-iPhone-6-vs-Apple-iPhone-6-Plus_id3804

Turns out, size requires compromise – the iPhone 6's display appears slightly better calibrated than that of the massive 6 Plus.

So, the first and most important difference here is that the 6 Plus' screen is much larger, at 5.5” compared to the iPhone 6's 4.7”. We still consider the display size of the iPhone 6 to be big enough in order to make the user experience with the phone a joy, but of course, for those who just can't get enough screen on their mobile device, the 6 Plus can offer even more. And of course, the 5.5” panel will make stuff like various multimedia content even more enjoyable on the 6 Plus.

With regards to resolution, the 6 Plus also has the finer display. Its resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels makes for the superb pixel density of 401 ppi. Of course, the iPhone 6 and its 750 x 1334 pixels (326 ppi) still display things in a crisp and beautiful way, but yeah, the visuals of the 6 Plus will be a notch cleaner.

Both panels feature great brightness output, with the iPhone 6 having the upper hand with its 600 nits, versus the 6 Plus' 570 nits. Meanwhile, though, the 6 Plus can get a bit dimmer (4 nits vs 7 nits), allowing for a slightly more comfortable viewing in the dark.

When it comes to color balance, the iPhone 6 once again has an advantage – its color temperature is about 7150 K, while the visuals of the 6 Plus are a bit colder with their 7300 K (the ideal temperature is considered to be 6500 K, with higher numbers making for colder-looking (bluish) colors). Delta E values are also higher on the 6 Plus, suggesting an overall more color-inaccurate screen. Thankfully, its numbers are still low enough for it to be considered both natural and good-looking, but it comes to show that it's not that easy to produce a super-sized touchscreen with great color characteristics.

To back that up, from what I have seen with both the phones side by side, using photos, home screen and the web browser, I like the iPhone 6's screen better than the 6 Plus.

Top Bottom