• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Ashhong

Edge and AT&T Next are both great if you keep your phone for a long time, actually. Because once you pay your phone off, your plan price goes down, unlike with contract plans.

But yeah, they really pay off with multiple lines on a 10GB plan.

This is true but after you pay full price for the phone. I don't think it's worth it really.

Hmm still thinking about doing it, Think it makes more sense to do edge over a regular 2 year upgrade price? Wish Verizon had better communication on finally bill cost before pulling the trigger on something. I get 22% employee discount thatw ould get factored in some how as well

I work at Verizon. The 22% is from your employer having a deal with Verizon? That will come off the data plan only, meaning the 100$ for 10gb. I would recommend the regular plan if you plan to upgrade every two years and the device cost is not too much for you right now.

IPhone 5s vs 6 plus with a two bulb lamp as light source

h4LlKcE.jpg

ojZO8ip.jpg

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Coming from a 4S, with how fast I can input my 4 digit code Touch ID seems pointless. Of course, I could switch that over to the longer password, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Husker86

Coming from a 4S, with how fast I can input my 4 digit code Touch ID seems pointless. Of course, I could switch that over to the longer password, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Touch ID is faster.

Plus it's used for more than the lockscreen. You can still use your PIN if you want, it's still there on the lockscreen (but I see no reason to if you set up Touch ID).

mrkgoo

Has anyone here had restoring issues on Mavericks 10.9.5, iTunes 11.4, and iOS 8?

I was following an Apple Support thread about restoring from a backup ,and it getting hung on the copying apps stage of the restore.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6544307?start=0&tstart=0

Thing is, I am restoring an iPhone 5, and I am havign the same issues. I'm restoring a third time, and it seems to be going better, and all I did differently was to turn off wifi, but also verify my iCloud account more quickly after the restore( before the apps synced across). I don't know which if either caused this third restore to go better, but I have my fingers crossed.

HUELEN10

If you have an entire day, you could start fresh and then inject your old app data back into the apps with something like iFunbox. Where do you get that old data to inject from? your iTunes backup! I use this tool to extract the data from the backup, then I use a tool like iFunbox or iExplorer to inject it back in on the phone.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Touch ID is faster.

Plus it's used for more than the lockscreen. You can still use your PIN if you want, it's still there on the lockscreen (but I see no reason to if you set up Touch ID).
I would have to time it, but it seems no faster. Using Touch ID as my main unlock mechanism requires breaking a habit and ensuring I have a certain hold for finger scan. I know you register multiple fingers (and in multiple ways), but I'm limiting it to my observations (generally right or left thumb). The plastic bubble over the home button from my Otterbox Case I'm sure affects the scan speed, even if only slightly. Before anyone asks: Yes I need the case. I'm a clumsy motherfucker who dropped his 4S more than a dozen times.

Oh shit, just I was typing this I learned you don't have to slide right once you hit the power button or even hit the power button at all to use Touch ID! Mind blown.

This is true but after you pay full price for the phone. I don't think it's worth it really.

I work at Verizon. The 22% is from your employer having a deal with Verizon? That will come off the data plan only, meaning the 100$ for 10gb. I would recommend the regular plan if you plan to upgrade every two years and the device cost is not too much for you right now.

Thanks, so you say buy it at contract price, avoid edge since I don't upgrade a lot. Thanks, you have been a great help. All the local Verizon stores seem to be stocked with idiots.

Forget what I said. If you are planning on the 10gb plan anyway, you do save money overall on the edge plan.

Yeah I wanted to at least start with the 10gb plan and see how I do.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
Is there a reason for the frame of the opening on the back of the Apple Leather Case to be black?

MGR52

My girlfriend got the rose one and the black frame really looks stupid on it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I would have to time it, but it seems no faster. Using Touch ID as my main unlock mechanism requires breaking a habit and ensuring I have a certain hold for finger scan. I know you register multiple fingers (and in multiple ways), but I'm limiting it to my observations (generally right or left thumb). The plastic bubble over the home button from my Otterbox Case I'm sure affects the scan speed, even if only slightly. Before anyone asks: Yes I need the case. I'm a clumsy motherfucker who dropped his 4S more than a dozen times.

Oh shit, just I was typing this I learned you don't have to slide right once you hit the power button or even hit the power button at all to use Touch ID! Mind blown.

Yeah Touch ID is going to take a lot longer if you do it that way lol. Just press the home button and leave your finger on the home button for a split second longer than you normally would and that's all it takes (iOS8 improved it a little). It is much faster and more convenient.

First person I've ever heard of who hits the power button to unlock their phone though. I did on Android but never iPhone.

Fliesen

on a scale from "insecure" to "secure" having a 4 digit "simple passcode" is pretty close to having no passcode at all.
if your phone gets stolen, the smudgy taps of your fingers on the screen would reveal which keypad numbers you use most.
which is why you could set up an alphanumeric password - and that's most definitely slower than touchID. Also, you won't need to type in your "at least 8 characters, at least one numeric, one capitalized" AppleID password anymore with touchID.

The frame looks stupid so the photos don't look stupid when the flash is used.

the earliest batch of iPhone 4 cases actually had a keyhole shaped cutout for the camera + flash which resulted in the flash being reflected straight back into the lens. You actually "had to" use a black sharpie to fix this. That's why cutouts are generous in size and coloured black in newer cases.
reveal-iphone-4.png

So, is Touch ID really the best fingerprint reader on a smartphone to date?

i heard it's objectively better than the one on the Galaxy S5, which you have to SWIPE your finger in a STRAIGHT LINE across the home button.
and the LG G3 has the fingerprint reader on the back which is weird if you want to unlock your phone when it's in a dock or resting on a surface, without picking it up. Also TouchID is supposedly the most accurate reader with the least amount of rescans necessary.

Vyer

Yup. Like Zero mentioned, basically all I have to do is basically press the home button and the phone wakes, scans the print and unlocks all at once.

Along with that...I mean, not having to type into the App Store was already great, but now that TouchID is expanding it's even better.

Littlebigbenny

Neo Member
i heard it's objectively better than the one on the Galaxy S5, which you have to SWIPE your finger in a STRAIGHT LINE across the home button.
and the LG G3 has the fingerprint reader on the back which is weird if you want to unlock your phone when it's in a dock or resting on a surface, without picking it up. Also TouchID is supposedly the most accurate reader with the least amount of rescans necessary.

I don't think the G3 does have a fingerprint reader.

But the one in the iPhone 6 really works great.

Kurdel

Banned
What's up with unoptimized apps on the iPhone 6? Google hangouts feels so bad compared to the message app because of how huge (read: slightly bigger) everything is.

Ashhong

Thanks, so you say buy it at contract price, avoid edge since I don't upgrade a lot. Thanks, you have been a great help. All the local Verizon stores seem to be stocked with idiots.

Yeah I wanted to at least start with the 10gb plan and see how I do.

If you do the math, edge is actual going to save you in the long run.

$15 a month for the line + 100 for data over two years is 2760 + 650 for the phone (paid in monthly installments) = 3410

Non edge is 200 for the phone + 140 a month = 3560

I just started but I'm pretty sure my math is right. In both scenarios you get to keep the phone and sell later. If you go under 10 gb though your monthly line cost is 30, and not worth it anymore.

Leather cases are pretty nice but expensive. I bought it because the case is pretty minimal and I wanted extra grip

Ah ok cool, for another £10 I'll bite and go with that then.

I upgraded from a 4 to 5 and it was worth it completely, so going to the 6 is a no brainer. Every time I pick up a 4/4s, I can't believe how heavy and blocky the phone is compared to just the 5, and the 6 is even thinner

Yeah I have to admit the design of the 6 is something that has swayed me. I didn't see the 5 as enough of a design upgrade with it being just slimmer and taller, with the 6 it feels like they've overhauled it more to iPad levels.

Fliesen

What's up with unoptimized apps on the iPhone 6? Google hangouts feels so bad compared to the message app because of how huge (read: slightly bigger) everything is.

there's a huge backlog of apps in review limbo. many will have already been submitted but haven't been reviewed by Apple.

Thezez

Banned

Devs got the final SDK just after the announcement, and the waiting time for apps to be reviewed by Apple is brutal at the moment. An update to an app I've worked on has been waiting for review for almost two weeks.

Edit: Dammit, what Fliesen said.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
there's a huge backlog of apps in review limbo. many will have already been submitted but haven't been reviewed by Apple.

Devs got the final SDK just after the announcement, and the waiting time for apps to be reviewed by Apple is brutal at the moment. An update to an app I've worked on has been waiting for review for almost two weeks.

Edit: Dammit, what Fliesen said.

Good to know that, because I'm looking at all my apps and thinking "really? You aren't rushing to update?"

I don't have my 6+ yet, but maybe that's a good thing. Everything will be optimized soon enough.

ZeroX03

Banned
Good to know that, because I'm looking at all my apps and thinking "really? You aren't rushing to update?"

I don't have my 6+ yet, but maybe that's a good thing. Everything will be optimized soon enough.

I check my app store for updates every day just so anything that can be up to date will be by the time I switch over to 6 Plus.

Looks like my leather case will arrive sometime next week. My phone, not so likely...

Kibbles

Touch ID is faster.

I wish we could lock individual apps. Would be helpful is someone has to use my phone.

Mess at all of the comments too. "Apple died with Steve Jobs, he would never have allowed this"

He also thought the App Store was a bad idea (thought web apps were the way) and look how that turned out. Smh.

TrutaS

Has this been posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

Unbox Therapy uploaded it 9 hours ago. The bendability of it seems pretty crazy...

This guys seems to be enjoying his newfound popularity. But to me, this new video is too douchy.

Anyway I think the 6 Plus must have some force balacing problem due to its size which is unfortunate.

I bought the 6 and am waiting for it to arrive but I hope it doesn't suffer from these same issues. I hope it isn't big enough to arrive at the hip line, which I am guessing is the reason the 6 plus bends at the tip while sitting.

Weird. I thought when you setup an iphone it always started at the "Welcome" white screen to setup Apple ID and all that nonsense.. Not the home wallpaper like he had on his new iPhone 6 Plus.

Ninja Dom

So... IS there any way to actually watch 1080p video on iPhone 6 Plus at 1:1? I mean, assuming everything is being down-sampled to 1080 X 1920 from 1242 X 2208, wouldn't that mean that 1080p video is being upscaled to 2208 X 1242 from 1920 X 1080, and then down-sampled back to 1920 X 1080 to display it on the screen?

I got the same question but for the iPhone 6 with 720p video!!!

Still waiting on the Anandtech review. They'd be able to explain.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Any thoughts on Spigen cases?

I'm thinking of ordering one now even though I won't be getting my 6 until at least the 25th of October (phone upgrade). So I'm looking at cases now and will just have it waiting in the wings for when I get the phone.

This guys seems to be enjoying his newfound popularity. But to me, this new video is too douchy.

Anyway I think the 6 Plus must have some force balacing problem due to its size which is unfortunate.

I bought the 6 and am waiting for it to arrive but I hope it doesn't suffer from these same issues. I hope it isn't big enough to arrive at the hip line, which I am guessing is the reason the 6 plus bends at the tip while sitting.

I imagine he's getting pretty irritated with people claiming he's an anti-Apple shill. Hence the video and the description: "This one if for the conspiracy theorists that claim I'm a fraud".

Ninja Dom

GSMArena review is up now. iPhone 6.

Fairly in depth review from an Android loving phone site.

Choice comments rom the review:

GSMArena said:
Feel free to disagree - but the biggest upgrade Apple has delivered in years has left the feature gap wide open - denying them their usual excuse: "We do things our way, we don't care about anyone else's screen size or resolution". And that list goes on to waterproofing, 4K videos, lossless video zoom, OIS, high-res imaging, stereo speakers.

GSMArena said:
At 4.7 inches, the iPhone 6 is more comparable size-wise to the Android minis rather than the competing flagships, which it will have to battle for the public affection.
Its screen-to-body ratio is nothing to write home about either although the side bezels are relatively unobtrusive. Still, with the Nexus 5, LG has managed to fit a good 5-inch screen inside a similarly-sized body frame, while Samsung's Galaxy Alpha fits a 4.7-inch screen within a smaller (and even thinner!) body.

GSMArena said:
Judging by the raw performance in the benchmarks and the snappier than ever user experience with the iOS 8 and its app, the new iPhone 6 is a flagship device in every way - beating everything the competition has to offer. Hopefully you didn't bet money on the opposite

GSMArena said:
On its own, the iPhone 6 is a perfectly executed product. Made of high quality materials, fast, capable, fluid, impressive in many ways. Apple surely knows how to make class-leading devices. It's just that they don't like to push the envelope - well, to be fair, it's worked just fine for them so far. They like to keep a stash of upgrades ready for introduction in the years ahead only so they can make sure users will pay for each and every one of those through the nose.
The Apple iPhone 6 is the epitome of that strategy and it shouldn't surprise anyone that we, being the geeks that we are, are in a way disappointed. But examining the iPhone 6 for what it is rather than what we would have liked it to be, draws a more positive picture.

GSMArena said:
As you can see, the iPhone 6 is hardly our sweetheart. It may not be the iPhone we dreamt of, but it's the best iPhone to date and the iOS app ecosystem is just begging for a screen that's bigger than a mere 4 inches. So more than likely, it will be on many people's Christmas wish lists. But if you are looking for the most feature rich hardware package or for the best deal around regardless of OS, then quite possibly, you might just end up spending your money elsewhere. And we wouldn't blame you.

Long and short, GSMArena do a nice set of exhaustive tests in their review, but they were never ever going to give a positive review no matter what the iPhone 6 could or couldn't do.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I imagine he's getting pretty irritated with people claiming he's an anti-Apple shill. Hence the video and the description: "This one if for the conspiracy theorists that claim I'm a fraud".

These monolithic Canadian blogs need to stop picking on small family companies like Apple.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GSMArena review is up now. iPhone 6.

Fairly in depth review from an Android loving phone site.

Choice comments rom the review:

Long and short, GSMArena do a nice set of exhaustive tests in their review, but they were never ever going to give a positive review no matter what the iPhone 6 could or couldn't do.

Why do you need to point out it is an android loving site and then pretty much dismiss their final comments? everything they said was correct. There are several phones with a similar size to the iphone 6 that offer larger screens, higher res screens, or both. Some offer OIS too.

iphone 6 is clearly a great iphone. But it isn't a huge leap forward in smartphone technology generally. I don't think anyone would try and argue differently?

On the step tracker in the new health app is there a way to see total steps for a particular day? As far as I can tell you can only see the highest day and current day and the rest you just have to guess based on the graph

Red

I got a chance to play around with th a 6 and 6 Plus last night. The 6 Plus is comically huge, so big I cannot imagine when I'd ever have a use for it. The 6 is very comfortable and among the best-feeling 4.7" phones I've tried (tied with or maybe just below last year's Moto X). It isn't perfect in use (hitting the number pad key while messaging was awkward with one hand), but it was good enough that if some improvements trickle down with later models (i.e. OIS), it would be an easy switch to make.

Top Bottom