• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

outsidah

Geez I used to really like that site too.

I can think of a few things to say about why not to get a Nexus 5 but support definitely isn't one of them. Google has been amazing when I had an issue. They don't have a physical store like Apple but they had a brand new phone I my hand the next day.

Yeah loving my 6 so far but I would prolly go back to a smaller screen if given the chance in two years. Maybe that will change by then but I am still adjusting to it ATM.

I want to say that I almost want to guarantee you that you won't feel that way in 2 years. I can see you thinking that if you bought the 6 plus since I don't think 5.5's are for everyone, but the 6 is really about the perfect size to still provide a large screen and not being too huge for most people.

I cringe every time I had to go and use someone's iPhone 4 or something of the sort. It really feels so cramped and unnatural to me now.

Is there a good media player for iPhone? Preferably that's optimized for 6/6+ but may be too soon for that. I just want to play my ripped Bluray .mkvs on my new 64gb 6 Plus.

HUELEN10

Is there a good media player for iPhone? Preferably that's optimized for 6/6+ but may be too soon for that. I just want to play my ripped Bluray .mkvs on my new 64gb 6 Plus.
I haven't found anything that take advantage of the iPhone 6/6+ yet, but don't get too hyped if you are a videophile: The Plus cannot display native 1:1 BD dumps on its screen as it first upscales to 2208 X1242, and then downsamples that to 1080p. Does this even matter? Depends if you're the typed that knows when things are "off" by mere pixels or not.

If you aren't that type, might I suggest It's Playing for the time being? It's cheap, and it's better than VLC by a long shot.

I haven't found anything that take advantage of the iPhone 6/6+ yet, but don't get too hyped if you are a videophile: The Plus cannot display native 1:1 BD dumps on its screen as it first upscales to 2208 X1242, and then downsamples that to 1080p. Does this even matter? Depends if you're the typed that knows when things are "off" by mere pixels or not.

If you aren't that type, might I suggest It's Playing for the time being? It's cheap, and it's better than VLC by a long shot.

Actually wouldn't the best thing to do be remux the mkv to an m4v and just sync it through iTunes? Videos.app isn't the best but it's optimized for the screen. Especially if you drop in some metadata.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

This kind of thing does bother me, academically... but when the pixels that are "off" are imperceptibly small, it may not be an issue for anyone... not even videophiles.

Think of it this way... Apple sells 1080p content through iTunes. And those are basically the same as blu-ray rips. Would they make a phone that displays that content badly? No. I've seen their clips of The Hobbit on the demo units in stores... it looks perfect. I assume that has the same lack of 1:1 perfection, but I wonder if anyone on earth would ever be able to tell.

This is not an issue like playing DS games on a 3DS.

M_A_C

nPlayer is awesome for iOS. Not sure about the 6 plus, but it's great on my 5 and ipad 4. Only thing it can't play is DTS audio for copyright reasons. It has some better features than most PC and mac desktop players. For instance, you can adjust the brightness just by swiping the left side of the screen up and down.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nplayer/id539397400?mt=8

Ashhong

can anyone recommend a tempered glass?

The one they sell at Verizon is nice, I put on a few myself at work. The clarity is great and it's easy to put on. Haven't seen any issues with it yet.

There might be better ones out there, but what I like is that the employee will do it for you until you are happy with it. Nice if you don't trust yourself to do it.

ZeroX03

Banned

I agree the iPhone 6 is probably the best consumer phone out at the moment, but boy was that bad. The only thing that guy could sell me on is a BlackBerry, his staunch opposition to it is a selling point for me.

Even videophiles won't notice. Especially not on a screen that size and density. It'll still look crisp as hell if you're watching a good 1080p copy. You've got to get off your fixation with pixel perfection. It's not a big deal.

Rambaldi

So my UPS tracking number seems messed up. I was able to see the package in China but not it just says that a label has been created. This happens on both the site and app. I just want to know where my phone is! :(

ahm998

I have question :

Iphone 6 resolution is 750p
Iphone 6+ resolution is 1080p

Is the Iphone 6 able to turn on 1080p in youtube?

kneePat

how accurate is this and how often does it update? It said my local best buy has a 6 Plus available, but when I called they said they don't have any.

It is not accurate at all, the seaturtle.org website is much better but its only Apple stores.
Problem is it lags around 3AM EDT everyday because people know when to check it, so you're better off just going to store.apple.com

I have question :

Iphone 6 resolution is 750p
Iphone 6+ resolution is 1080p

Is the Iphone 6 able to turn on 1080p in youtube?

No, and even if it was you wouldn't see all the pixels...

ahm998

It is not accurate at all, the seaturtle.org website is much better but its only Apple stores.
Problem is it lags around 3AM everyday because people know when to check it, so you're better off just going to store.apple.com

No, and even if it was you wouldn't see all the pixels...

What about the 6+ is it able to run 1080p?

ZeroX03

Banned
So my UPS tracking number seems messed up. I was able to see the package in China but not it just says that a label has been created. This happens on both the site and app. I just want to know where my phone is! :(

You guys are lucky you even get tracking numbers. I was told my phone would show up sometime in a few weeks on my doorstep. :(

What about the 6+ is it able to run 1080p?

Theoretically yes, but the app hasn't been updated yet.

ZeroX03

Banned
Damn you still didn't get it, when and who did you order from?

A New Zealand carrier, I ordered within 5 minutes of pre-orders opening. It was a massive clusterfuck, they told everyone the day before release they'd all be getting their phones and there was no stock issues. Then at 5pm on release day everyone get emails saying there was no Plus units and we'd be waiting weeks. Apparently the Plus pre-orders outnumbered the regular phones too, and they still kept taking them and telling customers they'd be getting it on launch.

Roughly expecting it second week of October but not holding my breath.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A New Zealand carrier, I ordered within 5 minutes of pre-orders opening. It was a massive clusterfuck, they told everyone the day before release they'd all be getting their phones and there was no stock issues. Then at 5pm on release day everyone get emails saying there was no Plus units and we'd be waiting weeks. Apparently the Plus pre-orders outnumbered the regular phones too, and they still kept taking them and telling customers they'd be getting it on launch.

Roughly expecting it second week of October but not holding my breath.

Same boat here in Canada.. and we're a tier 1 release country. I was number 12 on the list mere moments after opening (and hours before they said they'd open). I still don't have it.

This thing is supply contained as hell. It's the 2006-2008 Nintendo Wii of phones. Tickle Me Elmo, Furby, whatever your reference point may be.

ZeroX03

Banned
Same boat here in Canada.. and we're a tier 1 release country. I was number 12 on the list mere moments after opening (and hours before they said they'd open). I still don't have it.

This thing is supply contained as hell. It's the 2006-2008 Nintendo Wii of phones. Tickle Me Elmo, Furby, whatever your reference point may be.

I don't mind supply constrain, but holy shit the communication from carriers has been poor.

Release Day
Start of Day: "You're definitely getting your phone!"
Midday: "Actually there's no units in the country at all!"
End of Day: "Oh wait, there are some units, but we don't know who's getting them!"
Next Day: "Umm, two weeks, maybe, I dunno, call back later."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You guys are lucky you even get tracking numbers. I was told my phone would show up sometime in a few weeks on my doorstep. :(

Theoretically yes, but the app hasn't been updated yet.

Does the ipad app support 1080p? Apart from the parts where it just plays 240p or whatever because it is shit

Okay, ordered my 6 Plus 128 GB yesterday in store, and my order status says preparing to ship. But the estimated ship date is 11/05/14-11/14/14, Hmmm. I'm not in a hurry to receive it so I'm going to assume the preparing to ship isn't actually true then?

In a perfect world we would have:

iPhone 6 Mini 4.5"
iPhone 6 5.0"
iPhone 6 Plus 5.5"

My ideal size would have been something between the 6 and 6+. Just my $0.02.

Koyuga

After using my 6 Plus extensively, I still wouldn't mind something a bit bigger. Closer to 6" would be good. The size of my new iPhone doesn't make it feel big, but it does make other phones feel smaller. I'm okay with that.

I'm a bit annoyed at some of the stutter I'm getting in games and some apps, but that's to be expected of the higher resolution, I guess. Also some apps like Pinterest seem really buggy. Other than that I'm really loving this phone. Just a bit nervous when handling it since the case I want won't be back in stock until Oct. 20. :p

Ninja Dom

I asked before. But can the 6 play native 1:1 720p movies?

I gave up after the 5 release with Rodgers and it took forever even though I ordered early.

We get the shaft with the new 2 year plans, anyone that thought we were getting on equal ground with the USA should have seen that coming.

My current plan gives me 5 GB of data and unlimited calling for $75+ tax. If I want to upgrade to a 6 I would need a new plan and that would be $115 now with the same configuration. So thats a $40 increase * 24 months with equals the buyout price at the apple store for $960 for a 128 -6. And on top of that you need to pay $388. If I want it unlocked thats another $50 on top of that later.

Buying phones outright is the way I'm going from now on as long as I can keep my current plan.

MercuryLS

Banned
I gave up after the 5 release with Rodgers and it took forever even though I ordered early.

We get the shaft with the new 2 year plans, anyone that thought we were getting on equal ground with the USA should have seen that coming.

My current plan gives me 5 GB of data and unlimited calling for $75+ tax. If I want to upgrade to a 6 I would need a new plan and that would be $115 now with the same configuration. So thats a $40 increase * 24 months with equals the buyout price at the apple store for $960 for a 128 -6. And on top of that you need to pay $388. If I want it unlocked thats another $50 on top of that later.

Buying phones outright is the way I'm going from now on as long as I can keep my current plan.

I'm in the same boat with my Bell plan, I get 600 mins and 6gb data for $63+tax. Will never do hardware upgrades with them cause they'll take that away and give me a shit plan in return. I bought my unlocked iPhone 6 outright at the Apple store and even though it was a bit pricey that was mitigated a bit by selling my iPhone 5. These cell phone companies have lost their minds, when I was at the Apple store I found out that the cheapest plan you have to get for the subsidized price was $80 per month and it only included 500mb of data. I partially blame Apple for this as their hardware subsidies that need to be included in the plan are BIG, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the plans for the iPhone (and I'd assume other smartphones) on subsidy are insane ripoffs.

I'm in the same boat with my Bell plan, I get 600 mins and 6gb data for $63+tax. Will never do hardware upgrades with them cause they'll take that away and give me a shit plan in return. I bought my unlocked iPhone 6 outright at the Apple store and even though it was a bit pricey that was mitigated a bit by selling my iPhone 5. These cell phone companies have lost their minds, when I was at the Apple store I found out that the cheapest plan you have to get for the subsidized price was $80 per month and it only included 500mb of data. I partially blame Apple for this as their hardware subsidies that need to be included in the plan are BIG, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the plans for the iPhone (and I'd assume other smartphones) on subsidy are insane ripoffs.

Same with me on Rogers. Still on my $50 corporate plan that gives me 5GB and a ton of local and long distance minutes. To do a hardware upgrade I have to switch to a $60 plan that knocks my data down to 3GB. Fuck that.

I don't expect prices as good as the US specifically because we have 10% of the population and they need to spend more on towers but the price increase is crazy.

Spread the word with friends to do the math first before upgrading through a carrier.

Ensirius

I went to the an Apple Store to try out the "6's", and holy molony is the plus HUGE. Even thinking it is huge, I know if I ever was to get it I would get used to it in about a week. But then the 6 is just the perfect size for a phone imho. It is fast, sleek, and has an amazing camera. The gold one is just hideous though.

Same with me on Rogers. Still on my $50 corporate plan that gives me 5GB and a ton of local and long distance minutes. To do a hardware upgrade I have to switch to a $60 plan that knocks my data down to 3GB. Fuck that.
Ditto. Holding on to the plan I had since my day 1 3G. I bought my 4s outright and never looked back.

Next week can't come soon enough for the plus, pre bent or not.

Deku Tree

anybody know if i ordered from att.com, can i return a phone in the 14 day window to an ATT store or do i have mail it back?

6+ too big for you? Or unhappy with Bendgate? Anyway I would imagine you could return it in the store if you had all the stuff. But if you really wanted to be sure you could call at&t to ask.

6+ too big for you? Or unhappy with Bendgate? Anyway I would imagine you could return it in the store if you had all the stuff. But if you really wanted to be sure you could call at&t to ask.

Plus is too big for the "out and about" kinda things. I love the screen when i'm at home, on the train, at work etc. but I just can't do it one handed.

I'll call att first, thanks. Just concerned about it getting lost in the mail.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love my Plus, including the size of the screen, but if they reach resolution parity by the time I'm ready to upgrade next, I'll definitely be considering the 4.7" form factor.

It's really easy! Just buy an iPhone 6.

Ew. I love my 6 plus and totally think it's the best phone I've ever had. But this video is bad. Doesn't come off as anything but a pr/sales piece.

They really like the phone. If you go to the website, funny enough it's plastered with Samsung Galaxy ads.

jts

...hate me...
I love my Plus, including the size of the screen, but if they reach resolution parity by the time I'm ready to upgrade next, I'll definitely be considering the 4.7" form factor.
I'd be happier with camera parity.

Top Bottom