• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

CronoShot

Grover said it best. The 16gb size is "punative". :/

Forget apps. One slow mo video or panorama is HUGE. People will become frustrated with the 16gb phones I imagine.
Used to have a 16GB iPhone 5. Never again. I went with the 128GB iPhone 6 and it's glorious.

Deku Tree

I just noticed my 6+ has six rows of icons… So why does my iPad air still only get five rows of icons? What's going on Apple??? I want another row of icons!!!

There is a 64gb plus near me and I can't decide between this or the note 4 >.<

does Best Buy mark up the price of the 6+ or follow everyone else's off contract price?

Mononoke

Banned
Grover said it best. The 16gb size is "punative". :/

Forget apps. One slow mo video or panorama is HUGE. People will become frustrated with the 16gb phones I imagine.

16gb is perfect for me. I use streaming apps and have iTunes match. I don't use memory on my phone. Just depends on the user and their needs. Had a 16gb 4 and 5s and never had an issue with space.

But I agree for most it's not enough. Good thing we have options.

Davey Cakes

I struggled with my 16GB iPhone 5, honestly. When you can't even update the OS because you don't have enough space, you know you're a bit too limited.

Having music on the thing was an impossibility. I had to save any possible space for apps and photos and the background stuff. I could only save a few videos, too.

I'm on a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus now and I'm really happy to have the extra space.

Mononoke

Banned
I struggled with my 16GB iPhone 5, honestly. When you can't even update the OS because you don't have enough space, you know you're a bit too limited.

Having music on the thing was an impossibility. I had to save any possible space for apps and photos and the background stuff. I could only save a few videos, too.

I'm on a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus now and I'm really happy to have the extra space.

I've never had issue updating my OS. Damn.

hitsugi

Quick question - is iTunes still pretty much required to get things onto iOS? Like if I want to get mp3s, etc. onto the phone. Same goes for any file, really. Have iPhones gotten to a point where I can plug it in and transfer documents to/from it? Or would dropbox be my best bet for that sort of thing?

HUELEN10

Quick question - is iTunes still pretty much required to get things onto iOS?
Nope, this is a common misconception. Not only can iOS natively play and display lots of files like PDFs and MP3s in your email, there are tons of third party apps, such as documents that allow you to download and transfer files.
Like if I want to get mp3s, etc. onto the phone. Same goes for any file, really. Have iPhones gotten to a point where I can plug it in and transfer documents to/from it? Or would dropbox be my best bet for that sort of thing?
All you would have to do is use an app such as Documents or File Hub to wirelessly drag files onto your iPhone. Then, all you have to do is put those files in a compatible app via the action sheet's open in action in a supported app. For example, I could wirelessly put a ton of MKVs in the Documents app, and then transfer them to It's playing and enjoy my movies, my way, or put some OGGs on it and open them in AcePlayer so I can enjoy my music, my way, all without ever touching iTunes.

I haven't seen anything from anyone else nearly as good. TouchID is the shit, coming from the 5, it's gotta be my favorite feature (logging in, authentication for paying for apps, and soon for Apple Pay). It's a killer feature.

Yea, I feel that same way going from a 5 to a 6+. Pretty good so far. No unreliable reads yet. Every time I place my finger it opens.

BunnyBear

Speaking as a iPhone 6 user, I thought the GSMArena review was pretty reasonable. At least they admitted their bias, and their complaints are fair enough n my opinion.

Regardless, it's an awesome phone.

hitsugi

Nope, this is a common misconception. Not only can iOS natively play and display lots of files like PDFs and MP3s in your email, there are tons of third party apps, such as documents that allow you to download and transfer files.

All you would have to do is use an app such as Documents or File Hub to wirelessly drag files onto your iPhone. Then, all you have to do is put those files in a compatible app via the action sheet's open in action in a supported app. For example, I could wirelessly put a ton of MKVs in the Documents app, and then transfer them to It's playing and enjoy my movies, my way, or put some OGGs on it and open them in AcePlayer so I can enjoy my music, my way, all without ever touching iTunes.

Awesome. I've been away from iOS for a bit, so this is refreshing to hear.

sounds awfully convoluted way to get music on the phone just to not use iTunes.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yea, I feel that same way going from a 5 to a 6+. Pretty good so far. No unreliable reads yet. Every time I place my finger it opens.

I used to never use a passcode cause it took too long, now I've got security on my phone without a cumbersome passcode and it's actually faster than swiping to unlock. Using TouchID to pay for apps or log into apps is so incredibly nice, and Apple Pay (whenever it gets to Canada) is something I've wanted for ages. Apple has the tech, partnerships, and clout to legitimize mobile payments and I can't wait for it to roll out. With tokenization, no CC info shown on the phone and TouchID to secure the whole thing, it's incredible. I've had issues where my card is locked down cause it was used in a gas station and the bank was worried about it being compromised, something like that should be a thing of the past and that's partially thanks to TouchID.

sangreal

I haven't seen anything from anyone else nearly as good. TouchID is the shit, coming from the 5, it's gotta be my favorite feature (logging in, authentication for paying for apps, and soon for Apple Pay). It's a killer feature.

Completely agree, having also come from a 5. I laughed this off as a gimmick w/ the 5S but I always had a pin set so it makes a huge difference every single time I wake my phone up. The biggest for me though, is being able to use TouchID for lastpass now that it is integrated into safari as an extension

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I have an issue I don't think can get fixed until there's a jailbreak, which is annoying. I used to have a winterboard theme that changed the icon masks (Jaku I think) and that's carried over through my iCloud backup somehow from my iPhone 4 to my 6. Now my icons are clipped slightly at the corners. Not a huge deal, but I know it's there. Don't see how I can get rid of them.

HUELEN10

So I have an issue I don't think can get fixed until there's a jailbreak, which is annoying. I used to have a winterboard theme that changed the icon masks (Jaku I think) and that's carried over through my iCloud backup somehow from my iPhone 4 to my 6. Now my icons are clipped slightly at the corners. Not a huge deal, but I know it's there. Don't see how I can get rid of them.
I've had something similar happen before, but there is an easy, but time-consuimg solution to your problem!

1. Enable your phone's iCloud settings to use iCloud with at least your contacts and notes, and anything else you fancy/that turns you on.

2. Use Preview/iPhoto to dump all your pics.

3. Make a full iTunes backup of your phone.

4. Wipe your phone.

5. Use this tool to extract your data/save data from your apps.

6. Mount your erased iPhone and start it as a new phone.

7. Use iCloud to get contacts and whatever else back.

8. Sync the same apps/apps you still want to your new mount, but don't open any of them yet!

9. While still connected to your computer, quit iTunes and use this utility to inject the files you got from the other utility into the apps in your new mount.

10. When you are done, quit the utility, open some apps, and confirm that your data is as it should be.

11. Go back to iTunes, make a new backup.

12. Disconnect from your computer.

13. Go to your phone's iCloud settings, delete all previous backups, and start your new iCloud backup.

Easy 13-step process.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've had something similar happen before, but there is an easy, but time-consuimg solution to your problem!
Thanks for this! I guess the trick here is setting up as a new phone rather than restoring to begin with? How would syncing contacts/messages etc work after that though? Will definitely look into this as I'm sure there's all sorts of cruft left over from jailbreak tweaks as well as this I'd be getting rid of.

Addnan

I got a phone call today and for the first time noticed it also gets pushed to my iPad.. I don't want that to happen. How do I turn that off?

Deku Tree

I got a phone call today and for the first time noticed it also gets pushed to my iPad.. I don't want that to happen. How do I turn that off?

Look in the FaceTime settings... I think it's great that you can carry your iPad around and leave your phone and still not miss any calls.

HUELEN10

Thanks for this! I guess the trick here is setting up as a new phone rather than restoring to begin with? How would syncing contacts/messages etc work after that though? Will definitely look into this as I'm sure there's all sorts of cruft left over from jailbreak tweaks as well as this I'd be getting rid of.
Syncing contacts with iCloud would mean momentarily after setting your new phone with your iCloud credentials, those things would auto-download on your new phone. From there, just selectively piece out your stuff from that old backup.

Yes it might be tedious, but it is fairly easy after a bit, plus you only get rid of the old backups after you confirm everything is to your liking, just in case.

Additionally, to go to extramile and make sure your installation is fully, fully clean, DFU that shit and use iTunes to restore the phone with a fresh full copy of 8.0.2.

S¡mon

Banned
First Impressions with iPhone 6 Plus (space gray)
So, today I received my iPhone 6 Plus and here are my first impressions.

I pre-ordered the device on September 19th, coming from an iPhone 5. When I placed my pre-order I still wasn't sure if I wanted the regular 6 or the 6 Plus - and I've got to admit, I considered changing my pre-order last-minute because I started to get more and more worried whether or not the device was too big... not to mention all the reports about 'bendgate'.
I decided to simply try the 6 Plus out: if I don't like it, I'll skmply return it and get a regular 6.

That said, in already pretty sure that I'm going to keep it. It's not as huge as I was anticipating, but it's definitely a big device. It fits in my jeans, though, and that makes it portable for me.

The display is absolutely gorgeous and it's able to show a lot of content, although a lot of apps still need to be updated by developers. While everything is 'typically iPhone' and 'typically iOS', this bigger display provides a very different experience, in a good way.

I haven't spent much time with the camera yet, but the few pictures I took looked good and low-light performance is definitely quite a bit better than in the iPhone 5. Slo-mo is pretty fun to use (but nothing new to those coming from an iPhone 5S). Video stabilization does a pretty good job: I shot a video and deliberately shaked my hand quite a bit - the camera managed to get rid of almost all of the shakiness.

Touch ID is amazing, already. Just being able to unlock your iPhone without entering a passcode is awesome - and great for situations where you don't want others to see your passcode.

Last but not least, before I forget, the design. I like it a lot. The aluminum rear shell looks very nice. I'm not bothered by the antenna lines, but I can imagine some people will. The protruding camera hasn't been an issue (yet) and, honestly, I don't really think it will be an issue for at least 99% of the iPhone 6 (Plus) owners.
Oh, and the curved glass feels great. I swipe a lot in iOS (like in safari, going back and forth) and it feels so much better than it did in my iPhone 5.

I'm really happy with my upgrade. :)

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

S¡mon;131923319 said:
First Impressions with iPhone 6 Plus (space gray)
So, today I received my iPhone 6 Plus and here are my first impressions.

I pre-ordered the device on September 19th, coming from an iPhone 5. When I placed my pre-order I still wasn't sure if I wanted the regular 6 or the 6 Plus - and I've got to admit, I considered changing my pre-order last-minute because I started to get more and more worried whether or not the device was too big... not to mention all the reports about 'bendgate'.
I decided to simply try the 6 Plus out: if I don't like it, I'll skmply return it and get a regular 6.

That said, in already pretty sure that I'm going to keep it. It's not as huge as I was anticipating, but it's definitely a big device. It fits in my jeans, though, and that makes it portable for me.

The display is absolutely gorgeous and it's able to show a lot of content, although a lot of apps still need to be updated by developers. While everything is 'typically iPhone' and 'typically iOS', this bigger display provides a very different experience, in a good way.

I haven't spent much time with the camera yet, but the few pictures I took looked good and low-light performance is definitely quite a bit better than in the iPhone 5. Slo-mo is pretty fun to use (but nothing new to those coming from an iPhone 5S). Video stabilization does a pretty good job: I shot a video and deliberately shaked my hand quite a bit - the camera managed to get rid of almost all of the shakiness.

Touch ID is amazing, already. Just being able to unlock your iPhone without entering a passcode is awesome - and great for situations where you don't want others to see your passcode.

Last but not least, before I forget, the design. I like it a lot. The aluminum rear shell looks very nice. I'm not bothered by the antenna lines, but I can imagine some people will. The protruding camera hasn't been an issue (yet) and, honestly, I don't really think it will be an issue for at least 99% of the iPhone 6 (Plus) owners.
Oh, and the curved glass feels great. I swipe a lot in iOS (like in safari, going back and forth) and it feels so much better than it did in my iPhone 5.

I'm really happy with my upgrade. :)

If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Enjoy your new phone brother. Make sure you download either Swype or Swift key and try them out. Perhaps both like I did.

Anyone else running into web page reloads on either iPhone 6 or the 6 plus? I've been running into few of those when I have multiple tabs open in safari or when I switch apps. I don't even run lots of apps at the same time.

Apple should have really included that 2GB of RAM. Kinda sucks that it happens with the best smartphone Apple has to offer.

Sobriquet

Anyone else running into web page reloads on either iPhone 6 or the 6 plus? I've been running into few of those when I have multiple tabs open in safari or when I switch apps. I don't even run lots of apps at the same time.

Nope. I tested it and it didn't reload until my 9th tab. I never have that many tabs open on my phone.

MicH

I haven't run into any reloads. It's amazing coming from a 4S where Safari would reload the tabs constantly! Even work only one tab! It was unbearable

Reckoner

Went today to a store that had the iPhone 6 avaible to try.

One of the things that bothered me was design-wise, but I thought that maybe in person itf would be a bit better. Those lines on the back... Oh man, looks like someone used a permanent marker to draw them. The rest of the phone is good looking, but that's such a drawback and almost ruins the overall aesthetics. I never thought Apple would be ok with something like that.

Nope. I tested it and it didn't reload until my 9th tab. I never have that many tabs open on my phone.

I haven't run into any reloads. It's amazing coming from a 4S where Safari would reload the tabs constantly! Even work only one tab! It was unbearable

Really? I had IGN and a few other tabs open. Around 5-7 I would say and it was reloading. Depends on the page I guess.

I had another encounter today where I had the NFL page open with couple of other tabs, then I got a message in Skype and then when back in the browser it reloaded.

Top Bottom