• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Mononoke

Banned
They really like the phone. If you go to the website, funny enough it's plastered with Samsung Galaxy ads.

It's cool to really like a phone. I'm not disputing that. I just don't like the way the guy tries to present the video. IMO a better way to talk about something you like, is to just go over all the things you think it does well. Let the phone sell itself. His presentation in the video comes off as slimy/car salesman. If that makes sense.

I think even people that like the phone, can get turned off by that kind of approach. Just feels unnatural.

I guess it's a moot point either way though. I mean, I love my 6 plus and it's pretty much replaced my tablet (as it doubles as both now). I just watched the video and was turned off by the guys presentation.

It's cool to really like a phone. I'm not disputing that. I just don't like the way the guy tries to present the video. IMO a better way to talk about something you like, is to just go over all the things you think it does well. Let the phone sell itself. His presentation in the video comes off as slimy/car salesman. If that makes sense.

I think even people that like the phone, can get turned off by that kind of approach. Just feels unnatural.

I guess it's a moot point either way though. I mean, I love my 6 plus and it's pretty much replaced my tablet (as it doubles as both now). I just watched the video and was turned off by the guys presentation.

Yeah agree about the presentation. Just found the comments hilarious about I Verde commending the iPhone while taking Samsung money.

I wish I can watch the video on a 6 Plus :(

hitsugi

You just know next year they will brag they figured out a way to fit the ois camera in the smaller body. 6s. The S stands for stabilization (or sapphire)

They do have a year to get sapphire manufacturing costs down, and supposedly they were just a few weeks off from getting it into the current 6, so it's likely the s could be short for sapphire, although they would be calling it "S" anyway.

hitsugi

Seriously I would have been perfectly happy with the thickness of the 5s, larger battery, non-protruding camera. Although I'm getting a case, half the reason I'm getting one is because it's just too damn thin for me.

I honestly thought the 5 was crazy thin and frequently forgot it was in my pocket. I was surprised to hear the 5s was thinner.. and now this is even thinner. I'll have it in my hands in 4 days, though... and I am hyped.

I haven't used iOS in 2 years now, and most of my iCloud stuff is probably ancient? I made a backup of my phone back then, but it's probably pointless now. Can I merge my google contacts.... without using Google contacts? My goal is to backup my google contacts locally, then delete all of them from the web because it's become a convoluted mess in gmail/hangouts.

Dany

Banned
Thank you!

edit: rookie question: What's the difference between the resolution you linked and their iPhone 6 resolution?

Hmm? The second link's desktop wallpapers are a higher resolution than the iphone 6's screen, so it'll look great and not blurry.

The same applies to the first link but those wallpapers are cropped so you can;'t move around the image for the best shot.

Hmm? The second link's desktop wallpapers are a higher resolution than the iphone 6's screen, so it'll look great and not blurry.

The same applies to the first link but those wallpapers are cropped so you can;'t move around the image for the best shot.

Makes sense, just checking. Thanks!

I think I'm used to the size of my 6 plus now because my 5 feels so tiny now. This phone is still massive though.

I'm really hating how webpages are CONSTANTLY refreshing. Same thing happens in the App Store. Apple needs to fix this ASAP.

Frodo

I think I'm used to the size of my 6 plus now because my 5 feels so tiny now. This phone is still massive though.

I'm really hating how webpages are CONSTANTLY refreshing. Same thing happens in the App Store. Apple needs to fix this ASAP.

But RAM memory is so expensive.

Deepo

So, I bought an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB. Had it for a day, and decided it was too big. Sold it to a friend and picked up the 6. Used it happily for a day, when I discovered that the battery died before the day was done. Started missing the Plus something fierce, and finally decided to put the 6 up for sale. Sold it in 5 minutes for a nice profit as well! Got the Plus back from my friend (who bought one for himself), and am now finally happy. I've gotten to terms with the drawbacks of the Plus, and the positives outweigh the negatives for me. Putting a case on the Plus totally transformed it for me. It's slightly bigger, but I no longer fear dropping it.

NYR

Ugh. Should I be that guy?

Should I pay above retail to get a gold iphone 6 Plus 64 GB?

Sticker price is $1020 in Canada with tax, I offered $1120, people want $1200.

So, I bought an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB. Had it for a day, and decided it was too big. Sold it to a friend and picked up the 6. Used it happily for a day, when I discovered that the battery died before the day was done. Started missing the Plus something fierce, and finally decided to put the 6 up for sale. Sold it in 5 minutes for a nice profit as well! Got the Plus back from my friend (who bought one for himself), and am now finally happy. I've gotten to terms with the drawbacks of the Plus, and the positives outweigh the negatives for me. Putting a case on the Plus totally transformed it for me. It's slightly bigger, but I no longer fear dropping it.

Yea the plus is big but I can't go back to a smaller battery. Feels epic.

Just wait. Stock will get here eventually. I mean, mine's about to get here. Don't be paying the price of a 128 to just get the 64GB

mrkgoo

I just realised that the lines on the White/silver iPhone 6 are grey, like the space grey.

They grey is really cheap looking. The White on the gold iPhone is bold and looks more like they deliberately put them there. Like part of the design.

I wish the silver went with white lines and the space grey went with black lines.

NYR

I just realised that the lines on the White/silver iPhone 6 are grey, like the space grey.

They grey is really cheap looking. The White on the gold iPhone is bold and looks more like they deliberately put them there. Like part of the design.

I wish the silver went with white lines and the space grey went with black lines.
Agreed. I figure if apple was going to do it, own it. The white lines match the white front, and they look decent on the edges of the left and right of the phone.

mrkgoo

Agreed. I figure if apple was going to do it, own it. The white lines match the white front, and they look decent on the edges of the left and right of the phone.

Exactly, well put.

I thought no though, if I were to get one, I'd actually consider getting a case, since there seems to be more reasons to get one for this model ( camera protrusion, lines, ect). Thing is the use of a curved screen and round sides makes this phone so "holdable".

It's funny, each new design makes me feel that it becomes closer and closer to a non-descript "screen", just a slab for viewing content. It's like, when the 4 came out, yeah we're carrying a screen. But then the 5 was thinner and reduced bezels, no THIS is just a screen! Now the iPhone 6 makes it feel more like that than the 5. Remarkable.

Have you ordered from anywhere. Stock tends to get bumped up. Also, keep checking the Apple Store reserve page to see if one pops up in a store near you.

NYR

Have you ordered from anywhere. Stock tends to get bumped up. Also, keep checking the Apple Store reserve page to see if one pops up in a store near you.
I ordered at 1 AM on preorder night. I was at 3-4 weeks right away. Octobter 16-October 23 delivery. Site was busted, took me forever to get an order in.

I've actually paid $4 for a site to text me when stock comes in on the reserve page. No word yet. I check every night at 12 AM, nothing for my model.

subrock

Is just order online and wait. Mine shipped 2 weeks earlier than expected. I suspect the supply constraint is going to be short lived.

LCfiner

the online order expected delivery time ended up biting me in the butt a little.

I ordered one online last week and Apple’s site said 3 to 4 week wait before delivery (end of october). and then, the next day, I saw one available to reserve in store, so i bought one in the store and then went to cancel the online order.

but my online order had already been prepared for shipment so I couldn’t cancel it. It was prepared for shipment 3 weeks before Apple’s site said it would and there’a already a tracking number. it’s leaving China now and will be at my door by the middle of next week So I called and set up a return authorization and will send back the online order.

So I’m surprised to see people who had orders closer to launch and haven’t had their units shipped. I imagine most of those will get shipped earlier than those original 3 week estimates.

ColdMilk

My iPhone 6 had major wifi issues. I thought it was an IOS8 issue but when 8.0.2 came out I still had the problem. I ended up exchanging it for an LG G3. Night and day difference. Downloads were speedy as hell.

I still got love for the iphones but at this point I will just wait to see what the 6S brings.

My iPhone 6 had major wifi issues. I thought it was an IOS8 issue but when 8.0.2 came out I still had the problem. I ended up exchanging it for an LG G3. Night and day difference. Downloads were speedy as hell.

I still got love for the iphones but at this point I will just wait to see what the 6S brings.

You could have done a reset all settings and waited for 8.0.3 next week

Septimus

Woo! Mine got bumped up a day! Can't wait til Thursday!

ixCHM34nSsKtA.png

the refreshing is due to the lack of ram i dont know why apple doesnt put 2gb on the iphone 6 its been 3 generations since the ram was upgraded. my 6 plus refreshes tabs constantly.

Marco1

the refreshing is due to the lack of ram i dont know why apple doesnt put 2gb on the iphone 6 its been 3 generations since the ram was upgraded. my 6 plus refreshes tabs constantly.

I've always wondered when I see that statistic that ios devices use more web traffic could the constant refreshing affect that statistic?

I ordered at 1 AM on preorder night. I was at 3-4 weeks right away. Octobter 16-October 23 delivery. Site was busted, took me forever to get an order in.

I've actually paid $4 for a site to text me when stock comes in on the reserve page. No word yet. I check every night at 12 AM, nothing for my model.
I ordered same time you did, and my page also said 16-23rd. It locked me out of cancelling by Friday, and on Saturday it showed up with a shipping date of the 13th. Then in the afternoon it notified a tracking number, charged my card, and showed that it will be this week. Be patient.

Ambient80

We have a post/thread for the top cases for the 6+? Mine comes in tomorrow so I'm wanting to compare some good ones to see what I like. I'm sure someone has mentioned it in this thread somewhere, but I don't much feel like going through 230+ pages. :p

BTW mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, but AT&T gave me an estimate of first week of November. So those who are waiting, there is hope!!

hitsugi

Yeah I don't think they can fix that with software. My Nexus 5 refreshes fairly often with Chrome and it has 2gb. Hell, the Nexus 4 had 2gb. Perhaps even that isn't enough anymore.

Ninja Dom

maybe 3gb i dont get any refreshes on my note 3.

I think it's iOS 8. Because when I was using a 5S on iOS 7.1.2, Safari was fine and there wasn't any of this refreshing stuff that I'm also seeing on my 6.

LCfiner

it’s iOS and Safari in particular more than the actual Ram amount. you can get browsers that refresh less frequently.

Safari is super aggressive at flushing webpages. it’s not because the iPhone or iPad is actually running out of RAM.

We can all wait for Apple to change the way Safari works or -- if you are losing information types into webpages on a frequent basis - move to a third party browser that doesn’t refresh the page as frequently when switching tabs or when freezing the app on quit.

MercuryLS

Banned
it’s iOS and Safari in particular more than the actual Ram amount. you can get browsers that refresh less frequently.

Safari is super aggressive at flushing webpages. it’s not because the iPhone or iPad is actually running out of RAM.

We can all wait for Apple to change the way Safari works or -- if you are losing information types into webpages on a frequent basis - move to a third party browser that doesn’t refresh the page as frequently when switching tabs or when freezing the app on quit.

I can't use Safari due to the aggressive flushing of webpages, Chrome is WAY better in this regard. I can have half a dozen regular (non heavy gif) pages open at a given time with no reloads

Pastry

Banned
Just waiting and hoping my 6+ ships early, my 5 is looking like it won't last much longer :(

We have a post/thread for the top cases for the 6+? Mine comes in tomorrow so I'm wanting to compare some good ones to see what I like. I'm sure someone has mentioned it in this thread somewhere, but I don't much feel like going through 230+ pages. :p

BTW mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, but AT&T gave me an estimate of first week of November. So those who are waiting, there is hope!!

That's good to know, ordered 5 days ago and Apple gave me an estimate of late October.

NYR

I ordered same time you did, and my page also said 16-23rd. It locked me out of cancelling by Friday, and on Saturday it showed up with a shipping date of the 13th. Then in the afternoon it notified a tracking number, charged my card, and showed that it will be this week. Be patient.
Haha, I remember you from the late night posting thread on preorder night, lol. There were not a lot of Canucks posting that morning.

What color did you get and size? I seem to have picked the hardest one to get - 64 gold.

LCfiner

I can't use Safari due to the aggressive flushing of webpages, Chrome is WAY better in this regard. I can have half a dozen regular (non heavy gif) pages open at a given time with no reloads

there ya go. Chrome is a good example of how the hardware isn’t the limiting factor here. it’s the software.

I remember back on the ipad 1 with only 256 MB of RAM, iCab would keep around 5 or 6 webpages in memory with no refreshes for a really long time.

Of course, if there were too many gifs or other heavy pages, it could crash because, hey, 256MB is 256MB and it can’t work miracles. but nowadays, the ceiling is much higher.

MercuryLS

Banned
there ya go. Chrome is a good example of how the hardware isn’t the limiting factor here. it’s the software.

I remember back on the ipad 1 with only 256 MB of RAM, iCab would keep around 5 or 6 webpages in memory with no refreshes for a really long time.

Of course, if there were too many gifs or other heavy pages, it could crash because, hey, 256MB is 256MB and it can’t work miracles. but nowadays, the ceiling is much higher.

Chrome is better anyways, swipe from edge lets you switch tabs and it's easier to open pages in the background when tapping and holding at the edge of a neogaf page link (the little arrow), Safari ignores much of the time since its at the edge of the screen and thinks you're resting your finger there. I wish Google would hurry up and upgrade Chrome for iPhone 6, everything is currently blown up on it.

Chrome is better anyways, swipe from edge lets you switch tabs and it's easier to open pages in the background when tapping and holding at the edge of a neogaf page link (the little arrow), Safari ignores much of the time since its at the edge of the screen and thinks you're resting your finger there. I wish Google would hurry up and upgrade Chrome for iPhone 6, everything is currently blown up on it.
I'm waiting for this too. And not to mention chrome syncing for us windows users.

COME ONNNNNN google.

Guess Who

Banned
Google still hasn't updated Chrome for iOS to use Safari's faster JS engine, for whatever reason. You'd think they'd implement that ASAP as it's a pretty significant (2-3x) performance boost.

Top Bottom