• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Question: Why do you guys use chrome on iOS?

I used it all the time on iOS6. It had infinite tabs, private browsing toggle and separate tabs for that, bookmark syncing to desktop Chrome, and a better UI than stock Safari.

But since iOS7, Safari has had all of the above... and now Safari has a better UI than Chrome (IMO).

And of course since they are both using the same Safari engine underneath, it can't be for page display reasons.

HGStormy

Banned

I used it all the time on iOS6. It had infinite tabs, private browsing toggle and separate tabs for that, bookmark syncing to desktop Chrome, and a better UI than stock Safari.

But since iOS7, Safari has had all of the above... and now Safari has a better UI than Chrome (IMO).

And of course since they are both using the same Safari engine underneath, it can't be for page display reasons.

I just came from android, so chrome is more familiar to me :c

Edit: Oh, and it's what I use on my desktop, and since all my saved passwords carry over I get to use that too

MercuryLS

Banned

For me it's less webpage refreshes and the swipe from the bezel switching tabs rather than going back and forward. I load up tabs and switch between them often, Chrome has a better way to handle that than safari. I prefer safari on my Mac though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just came from android, so chrome is more familiar to me :c

Edit: Oh, and it's what I use on my desktop, and since all my saved passwords carry over I get to use that too

For me it's less webpage refreshes and the swipe from the bezel switching tabs rather than going back and forward. I load up tabs and switch between them often, Chrome has a better way to handle that than safari. I prefer safari on my Mac though.
Ok.. good points.

Actually MercuryLS I still have the mental association between sliding left/right meaning tab switching, even though I've been back on Safari for a whole year. I've been tapping on the bottom margin and tapping the left or right button to go back/forward... :p

Apple should really just introduce switchable default applications in iOS9. I think they will. At this point they really have nothing to lose from it.

MercuryLS

Banned
I think I'm going to downgrade to an iPhone 5S. I've tried and tried to get used to the 6 but I just can't do it, I miss the more compact 5 series. I realize that I'm like the BB diehard plastic keyboard fans.

Going to return it tomorrow and get my money back and put a chuck of it towards a used 5S on Kijiji.

I hope Apple offers a smaller 4" iPhone 7 someday cause I'm going to be sad not being able to take advantage of Apple Pay :(

NYR

I think I'm going to downgrade to an iPhone 5S. I've tried and tried to get used to the 6 but I just can't do it, I miss the more compact 5 series. I realize that I'm like the BB diehard plastic keyboard fans.

Going to return it tomorrow and get my money back and put a chuck of it towards a used 5S on Kijiji.

I hope Apple offers a smaller 4" iPhone 7 someday cause I'm going to be sad not being able to take advantage of Apple Pay :(
Well, the good thing is you'll have lots of choice,lots of folks dumping 5S's.

Blackhead

Redarse
For people complaining about the 6/6+ refreshing web pages constantly, does Grazing work for the 6/6+/iOS8?
Grazing is my fave iOS browser and the long awaited new version should be here *soon* (they've been promising that for over a year lol)
Grazing Browser @grazingbrowser · Sep 17

The much delayed #Grazing3 update was unfortunately delayed even more by iOS 8 changes, but the iOS 8 version is in the hands of testers now
Grazing Browser ‏@grazingbrowser · Sep 17

Hoping to submit at the end of next week, with support for iOS 8 and iPhone 6, as well as a pile of other long-awaited features and redesign

Yeah you're right, I'm looking for one closer to $500. I want an unlocked one in 64gb, preferably new so I might have to pay a bit more than usual.

Yeah $500 for a 64GB sounds reasonable I suppose.

On another note, I'm in safari browsing nothing but GAF and I have 8 tabs open right now with two I just closed and 6 tabs remaining. I just got reloads on multiple tabs.

This thing is really bothering me.

Edit: I'm on 6 Plus by the way. Came in here to post this.

Corgi

Banned
something i didn't think about it until now, but 6+ screen size makes it a much better to use GPS for the car than my old iphone 5.

hope google maps is updated for new phones soon.

Something else i noticed, not sure if its just baked into the OS now, but 6+ does seem to have bezel detection, so if you have a thumb on the side, it will ignore, which means you can hold the phone with thumb and index finger of 1 hand without interfering with the touch stuff.

Haha, I remember you from the late night posting thread on preorder night, lol. There were not a lot of Canucks posting that morning.

What color did you get and size? I seem to have picked the hardest one to get - 64 gold.
6Plus Silver 128. The wait is going to kill me.

I'm probably going to have a lot of follow up too. My 4S has a awesomely stupid cloud sync error, where it's actually eating up more memory than it actually has, and apple can't seem to fix it. Hopefully I'm going to be able to do a sync via my desktop, do a clean wipe of the 4S, and hope everything works.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Love the iPhone - it's like my 5th version since the original. Currently have an iPhone 6 Plus.

But the 1GB of RAM is inexcusable. I'm getting Safari tab reloads all.the.time.

Typically have 4 or 5 tabs open. Sometimes I get 7 or 8 for a short while and close them back down to 1. Regardless, almost every time I use Safari for more than a couple minutes and bounce between tabs, I'm getting page refreshes. Just stupid.

Love the iPhone - it's like my 5th version since the original. Currently have an iPhone 6 Plus.

Typically have 4 or 5 tabs open. Sometimes I get 7 or 8 for a short while and close them back down to 1. Regardless, almost every time I use Safari for more than a couple minutes and bounce between tabs, I'm getting page refreshes. Just stupid.

That's not due to a hardware ram limitation

RPS37

I would suggest trying Grazing once they update it.

mikeyw85

Banned
On Friday my order went from '3-4 weeks' to 'dispatched'.

Can't really find a case i'm that bowled over with. I got a Spigen hybrid one, but I'm not sure about it yet. My 4S just had a bumper band around, and I liked that

Minsc

Gold Member
The official VLC for iOS app had been pulled from all stores apart from the US (afaik), for unknown reasons when iOS 8 released. VideoLAN also hasn't said why yet.

It's a good thing Infuse is around, makes all other video playing apps obsolete. Even decodes ac3s muxed in video! Maybe VLC did that too, but there was a nasty string of updates that went around a while back, removing the ac3 decoding out of the majority of video players that hadn't paid for licenses.

Also, it's amazing how many video players lack the ability to precisely seek on a horizontal swipe (to the second) and change volume on a vertical swipe. I'm sure there's some reason to use VLC for some weird network thing, but Infuse even does that, and does it all while looking vastly better. I've used a bunch of video apps over the years, and nothing even comes close to Infuse. The only drawback is it is a paid app vs free, but it's worth every cent and more imho. :)

Matt Frost

I am getting an iPhone 6 regular this thursday, and I want some info, so it doesnt shock me when I get it, to be better prepared for it...

Does the iPhone 6 scale iPhone 5 games to fill the whole screen?

Deku Tree

Google still hasn't updated Chrome for iOS to use Safari's faster JS engine, for whatever reason. You'd think they'd implement that ASAP as it's a pretty significant (2-3x) performance boost.
They're not allowed to use it iirc.
Yeah, source:
However, while Apple allows only Safari to access iOS facilities like the iOS Nitro engine, Chrome uses Apple's UIWebView for loading and rendering content
https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/ios/overview

Straight from Google themselves.

I find Safari better in every way bar tab reloads, and it would be false economy to switch solely because of that given how much faster it is overall. Furthermore, I have an iPad & a Mac with no reason to consider Windows, so I use iCloud Keychain for passwords and so forth.

Also, if I've got more than three or four tabs open it's because I'm failing to concentrate, so I try not to let that happen. As it stands, I've had three open for the last hour or so and none have reloaded; with that said, I suspect Apple will tweak the software when they move to 2GB RAM and nix the issue entirely.

muteki

Same here, I was all over chrome when it first came out but Safari has definitely surpassed it in the UI/usability department. The information Safari gives me when I put the cursor in the address field is much more customizable, I like having my most visited sites as easy to get to as possible. I also prefer swiping as back/forth instead of next/last tab. Maybe things have changed since I last used it but Safari has been fine for me.

Since getting a case I have been much happier carrying around the Plus. I don't have to sit it on a stack of sticky notes on my desk because of the camera and I'm no longer neurotic about it falling out of my pocket or off the console in my car and breaking.

Battery life has been a bit of a disappointment for me. I've been trying to reign in the GPS usage and background activity to improve it, but I was expecting more of an improvement from my 5, and while the 6+ doesn't shut off at 30% at least, it is still a charge every night phone for me.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Same here, I was all over chrome when it first came out but Safari has definitely surpassed it in the UI/usability department. The information Safari gives me when I put the cursor in the address field is much more customizable, I like having my most visited sites as easy to get to as possible. I also prefer swiping as back/forth instead of next/last tab. Maybe things have changed since I last used it but Safari has been fine for me.

Since getting a case I have been much happier carrying around the Plus. I don't have to sit it on a stack of sticky notes on my desk because of the camera and I'm no longer neurotic about it falling out of my pocket or off the console in my car and breaking.

Battery life has been a bit of a disappointment for me. I've been trying to reign in the GPS usage and background activity to improve it, but I was expecting more of an improvement from my 5, and while the 6+ doesn't shut off at 30%, it is still a charge every night phone for me.

Most people are reporting at least a day and half of battery life. Maybe you have a bad unit?

I use chrome on iOS because I use chrome on my pc and I use tab syncing a lot. I also really like how easy it is to switch between tabs. Even incognito mode works better.

kaskade

Come on apple. Let's start getting these 6 and 6 plus optimized apps out. It's gotta be pretty to having so many goes through certification at the same time.

Also, has anyone found a decent tempered glass iPhone 6 screen protector yet?
I ordered some normal film ones when the phone first came out as an interim for proper ones, but these ones are slightly too thin and there is a tiny gap where the screen is naked on both sides.

Cheech

Come on apple. Let's start getting these 6 and 6 plus optimized apps out. It's gotta be pretty to having so many goes through certification at the same time.

They still need to pull the trigger on a boatload of Healthkit apps they haven't approved yet. Runmeter is broken as hell, and they've been sitting on the update since iOS 8 launched. Dicks.

Now that the 8.0.1 debacle is behind us, I'm expecting another flood of app updates this week.

They still need to pull the trigger on a boatload of Healthkit apps they haven't approved yet. Runmeter is broken as hell, and they've been sitting on the update since iOS 8 launched. Dicks.

Now that the 8.0.1 debacle is behind us, I'm expecting another flood of app updates this week.
If you think about it, they might be taking so long to approve these updates because all of a sudden everyone is trying to put through updates for iOS 8 and iPhone 6/6+. At no other point during the year (except maybe during iPad launches) would they ever have this many updates submitted at once.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Man, reading on the 6+ is just great.

I'm not sure if iBooks has always had the feature, but I love the scrolling feature vs. page-turning when it comes to my book reading. Keep it sepia during day or night...the night-time mode makes my contacts blur the text with the white on black.

...but I've read well over 1000 6+ pages and it's been great. I'd tried reading on the 5/5S previously and it just didn't work. Everything seemed too small and required constant interaction to move the story along.

With the 6+ there's enough real-estate to give the page weight, and with the scrolling enabled I can instinctually keep the screen moving to match my ideal reading position.

Been great. I'm devouring this book, and I hardly ever read. Testament to the device that enabled it and the writing of the author.

kaskade

Yeah. Last update I had was like 4-5 days ago. I would think some of the bigger apps like Instagram, snapchat, flixter stuff like that would be updated by now. Oh well. It's fun getting the app updates anyway.

Deku Tree

I bailed out a while ago. I'm pretty sure that thread is the reason for most bent iPhones.

haha.

Can anyone recommend a good set of bluetooth headphones for my 6+? I want to listen to music on my bike rides, and be able to pick up phone calls too... Thanks!

Dany

Banned
It's a good thing Infuse is around, makes all other video playing apps obsolete. Even decodes ac3s muxed in video! Maybe VLC did that too, but there was a nasty string of updates that went around a while back, removing the ac3 decoding out of the majority of video players that hadn't paid for licenses.

Also, it's amazing how many video players lack the ability to precisely seek on a horizontal swipe (to the second) and change volume on a vertical swipe. I'm sure there's some reason to use VLC for some weird network thing, but Infuse even does that, and does it all while looking vastly better. I've used a bunch of video apps over the years, and nothing even comes close to Infuse. The only drawback is it is a paid app vs free, but it's worth every cent and more imho. :)

Its good to know theres an alternative but I don't use VLC unless its on long flights or train rides.

Top Bottom