• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

muteki

Most people are reporting at least a day and half of battery life. Maybe you have a bad unit?

I'm going to have to do some more testing with it before I start considering that, maybe I'm still in the new-phone phase and am using it too much, I dunno. A day and a half of battery life is still a charge every night phone in my book.

HUELEN10

It's a good thing Infuse is around, makes all other video playing apps obsolete. Even decodes ac3s muxed in video! Maybe VLC did that too, but there was a nasty string of updates that went around a while back, removing the ac3 decoding out of the majority of video players that hadn't paid for licenses.
VLC could do that too, just go to date and time and choose a time location that is the zone equivalent for your. For example, I am in Florida, but if I sync my time with Tornonto Canada, it will work just fine; weird work-around to get it to work in the states, but it works.

As for other, better players, have you tried It's Playing? Been using Pro for years and I swear by it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Bumpers - do they actually do a job at protecting a dropped phone or are they the biggest scam ever?

I don't really want to add the thickness of a case.

Mononoke

Banned
Bumpers - do they actually do a job at protecting a dropped phone or are they the biggest scam ever?

I don't really want to add the thickness of a case.

Well the apple leather cases are thin and don't add too much weight. Although not worth $50.

Kurdel

Banned
I took high speed video in low light conditions. The content that came out is magical, even if the IQ is shitty.

ZzdEGE.gif

YDeKML.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
VLC could do that too, just go to date and time and choose a time location that is the zone equivalent for your. For example, I am in Florida, but if I sync my time with Tornonto Canada, it will work just fine; weird work-around to get it to work in the states, but it works.

As for other, better players, have you tried It's Playing? Been using Pro for years and I swear by it.

It doesn't look like it'd do it for me. I'm pretty spoiled by Infuse 2 now, visually it looks and feels right at home on iOS, vs something like looks more like a simple list, etc. Infuse 2 is rather sleek, automatically groups seasons in to a single item, integration in to TV database sites to fetch show info and thumbnails, and lots of other visual tricks hidden in the app, as well as unique UIs for landscape and portrait. Ever since they added in the network integration in Infuse 2, I have no need for another video player ever again. Before I used to use Infuse + Video Stream (for it's easy network playing features), but now Infuse 2 can load up videos on my Time Capsule all by itself with no extra software (which I guess isn't anything too special, but leaves me with no features I need outside Infuse). Infuse also plays super nice with subs, and will load subs for anything I've thrown at it, even if the subs are separate from the video file which is nice.

When I was trying out videos players before settling on Infuse, I gave VLC a few chances and it never impressed me too much.

Corgi

Banned
It doesn't look like it'd do it for me. I'm pretty spoiled by Infuse 2 now, visually it looks and feels right at home on iOS, vs something like looks more like a simple list, etc. Infuse 2 is rather sleek, automatically groups seasons in to a single item, integration in to TV database sites to fetch show info and thumbnails, and lots of other visual tricks hidden in the app, as well as unique UIs for landscape and portrait. Ever since they added in the network integration in Infuse 2, I have no need for another video player ever again. Before I used to use Infuse + Video Stream (for it's easy network playing features), but now Infuse 2 can load up videos on my Time Capsule all by itself with no extra software (which I guess isn't anything too special, but leaves me with no features I need outside Infuse). Infuse also plays super nice with subs, and will load subs for anything I've thrown at it, even if the subs are separate from the video file which is nice.

When I was trying out videos players before settling on Infuse, I gave VLC a few chances and it never impressed me too much.

gave this app a shot, but it seems kinda buggy on my 6+. app freezes a bunch all over the place, and i can't see to be able to transfer files through browser.

btw: have any video streaming/service apps been updated for the new devices?

Minsc

Gold Member
gave this app a shot, but it seems kinda buggy on my 6+. app freezes a bunch all over the place, and i can't see to be able to transfer files through browser.

btw: have any video streaming/service apps been updated for the new devices?

Hasn't been updated yet since the 6/6+ launch so not too surprising. Never had it freeze once in over 2 years on my iPhone 5 though (or when I was running on my iPhone 4 before that).

HUELEN10

Minsc, does Infuse allow you to use the hardware decoder on compatible formats to save battery life? If so, I'm biting. That is the main reason I like It's Playing, so if this does as well, I don't need It's Playing anymore.

Corgi

Banned
Surprised how much hours yall are getting. My 6+ is in the single digits by 10pm. But then, I'm mostly doing calls and emails these days for job hunt.

Mononoke

Banned
Surprised how much hours yall are getting. My 6+ is in the single digits by 10pm. But then, I'm mostly doing calls and emails these days for job hunt.

Hmm, I didn't know making calls took up that much juice. Then again, I haven't used my Smart Phone for making calls in a long time. I usually text, or only briefly call someone. But I've been playing videos, and doing other stuff and I still get better battery then what you are getting. So that's strange.

Minsc

Gold Member
Minsc, does Infuse allow you to use the hardware decoder on compatible formats to save battery life? If so, I'm biting. That is the main reason I like It's Playing, so if this does as well, I don't need It's Playing anymore.

Yup, and it can even airplay MKV, etc. The official site has a lot of info (even supports the elusive webm format mentioned above), and even more can be found on the fourms (like the answer to your question above from an admin). They're really good about making the updates very substantial too, and have added some amazing stuff to the app. Iphone 6/6+ temporary issues aside, I don't think it's a purchase anybody who uses videos on their tablet/smartphone would regret, and if I ever got an Android phone, looks to be one of the apps I'd miss most not being on that marketplace.

I should add it's kinda humble at first, looks pretty basic, but after you've used it for a week, you'll discover all sorts of hidden features, ways to interact with it that seem completely logical for the most part, and that make going to other video players much worse (dynamic swipe to seek / change volume is really the biggest offender), but even the built in file browser is really nice, as is the browser transfer support (if you want to send your phone videos by web browser over your local network).

Corgi

Banned
Hmm, I didn't know making calls took up that much juice. Then again, I haven't used my Smart Phone for making calls in a long time. I usually text, or only briefly call someone. But I've been playing videos, and doing other stuff and I still get better battery then what you are getting. So that's strange.
Well im also dinking around with graphics heavy games, but not that much.

Interesting enough 40min of driving with google map just drained it 3%

Number45

I've just realised my car isn't going to be able to produce enough juice to charge - it struggles with my 4s (charging maintains the battery charge when GPS is in use). Any easy solutions to that?

How is it in 2014 making your own custom ringtones is still a pain in the ass. Every method I find has loops to jump through.
As long as you get it in .m4a format it's simply a case of renaming to .m4r and adding it back to the library. If you get it in another format (.mp3 for example) just convert it in iTunes.

It's not exactly streamlined, but it's not difficult either.

Just ordered my phone from Verizon last night, hoping it doesn't take too long, at least before the 24th they're predicting.

Has anyone else ordered from Verizon? Have they been bumping ship dates?

Went with 128gb plus btw.

Dominator

Got a few questions. It brought up my number and I did iCloud restore over Wi-fi, but my network isn't activated. Like it says I have no network. Whats up with this?

Just ordered my phone from Verizon last night, hoping it doesn't take too long, at least before the 24th they're predicting.

Has anyone else ordered from Verizon? Have they been bumping ship dates?

Went with 128gb plus btw.

My girlfriend is getting hers almost a week ahead of what was originally shown. Hopefully it happens to you!

Toki767

Well I think it's important to take note that battery usage calculations for iOS aren't just when the screen is on. It's basically any time the CPU does work. Playing music with the screen off and probably also push notifications add to that time.

MedIC86

How are people finding the normal 6 battery life? i remember my 5 being really sucky (i decided against a 6+ being to huge for me)

I'm on a nexus 5 now btw (with my usage i can do 1.5 day with one charge)

HouseOfBalloons

Neo Member
How are people finding the normal 6 battery life? i remember my 5 being really sucky (i decided against a 6+ being to huge for me)

I went from a Nexus 5 to an iPhone 6 - battery easily lasts me the entire day. I don't have to charge until I get into bed around 12:30 a.m. or so. I'm on my phone often and I would have to charge my Nexus at work sometimes. Feels good to be back on iOS after a 3-4 year stint with Android.

HUELEN10

It's every bit as good as the 5 was for me; last the whole day and is treated as a charge every night device.

BSsBrolly

Banned

My nexus 5 got me almost all the way through an 8 hour work day and then needed a charge. My iPhone 6 lasts me about 1.5 full days of usage. I'm guessing the iPhone 6 would be a giant upgrade for you as I found the Nexus 5's battery to be garbage, worst I've ever experienced.

MedIC86

My nexus 5 got me almost all the way through an 8 hour work day and then needed a charge. My iPhone 6 lasts me about 1.5 full days of usage. I'm guessing the iPhone 6 would be a giant upgrade for you as I found the Nexus 5's battery to be garbage, worst I've ever experienced.

Yes, this is wat picks me as strange, i bought the nexus 5 knowing that the battery would not be very good but the thing is (maybe i have a lucky device, or a lucky streak with an update) but the battery seems to last forever. Oh well i have to wait till 28 oct to get my 6 tho.

Husker86

Yes, this is wat picks me as strange, i bought the nexus 5 knowing that the battery would not be very good but the thing is (maybe i have a lucky device, or a lucky streak with an update) but the battery seems to last forever. Oh well i have to wait till 28 oct to get my 6 tho.

Besides standby, which iOS is still godly at, I have found my iPhone 6 battery to be marginally better than my Nexus 5. Clash of Clans may be to blame.

Ninja Dom

Cor Blimey!!

You can see why 60fps video must be turned on in the menu.

My experiments show that a 1 minute, 1080p, 60fps video recorded on an iPhone 6 comes in at 150 Megabytes.

HUELEN10

Just gave Infuse an extensive test. unfortunately, it gets picky with some H.264 files in certain containers, and performance drops where it doesn't with it's playing. On the other hand, I love the look of the app and the on-screen volume control.

Now I want both apps to merge.

Mononoke

Banned

Still crazy to me that Target randomly got a massive shipment of the 16gb Gray. Something doesn't add up here. Thing is, they STILL have them in stock even a week after getting them. And yet, Sprint isn't shipping out any of these models. Not even their physical stores are getting any in.

I don't understand how a major carrier doesn't even get any stock for a specific phone, and yet some place random like Target gets 500 per store. What the fuck. Again, keep in mind that Sprint didn't even have enough to cover 10% of their first day pre-orders of this model either.

So glad I canceled my order and just picked it up Target. But it still blows my mind.

Top Bottom