• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Got my Silver Iphone 6 with the red leather case.

Best phone I've ever owned hands down. It was hard because I really wanted to switch to the Note 4 because of Gear VR and S-pen, but I couldn't wait till mid oct. So far I don't regret my decision.

Deku Tree

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It doesn't look like it'd do it for me. I'm pretty spoiled by Infuse 2 now, visually it looks and feels right at home on iOS, vs something like looks more like a simple list, etc.

Was this bit comparing to VLC? If so it must've been an old version of it you tried. Looking at Infuse, it seems to have straight up the exact same design as the 2.0 and onwards design of VLC for iOS. Heh.

Btw for the curious, VLC for iOS is open source, so you can compile your own version if you have the know how, they have the sources on the website.

Toki767

Ok, so the Rumor is

27" iMac with 5K 5120 x 2880 display (double the current 1440p) with Haswell processor but a change to AMD graphics...
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/29/retina-imac-27-amd/

A separate 5K Apple display could use the DisplayPort 1.3 specification which would be allowing for single-cable uncompressed video at 5K.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/report-apple-27-inch-5k-display-this-year/

And several news sources are independently confirming it.

I just want a new Macbook Air. :(

I'm traveling to NYC Wed thru Friday. Is it feasible to fetch an iPhone 6 Plus in the Apple Store or will I be laughed at and dismissed at the counter?

Certinty

My partner got a 6 yesterday and opening the camera crashes the whole phone. Is there any way of reinstalling the OS completely on the phone as a factory reset hasn't worked.

IronRinn

As someone who is still on an iPhone 4 I though I had the patience required to calmly wait for my 6+ to be delivered at the beginning of November. Now I check my order status at least once a day only to be, predictably, disappointed every damn time. This blows.

knitoe

These are brand new replacements?

Yes. There are no refurb yet. You can try a fresh reinstall. Download the firmware and follow web instructions on how to do a restore with the file. Most likely Apple store will try this too before giving you another phone.

Certinty

Yes. There are no refurb yet. You can try a fresh reinstall. Download the firmware and follow web instructions on how to do a restore with the file. Most likely Apple store will try this too before giving you another phone.

Unlikely they have refurbs ready to go right now, but their refurb quality is superb anyway...
I guess it depends then. Will try a fresh install tonight and if that doesn't work will just get it replaced for her. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

forms

Just ordered an i6 standard as a work phone. It'll be interesting to see my first Iphone ever, having had Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, and androids galore.

just ordered a Space Gray 64GB from AT&T, it'll be something like a month till it ships, but that's fine since it'll be around my birthday. as for my case, went with the trident Kraken since i loved that particular model with my 5, and after watching reviews and seeing pictures, the one for the 6 looks like it'll fit bill perfectly.

rezuth

They really need to fix mobile gaf reply box but anyway I got my 6+ today. No bend out of the box, barely fits in my jacket pocket. I adore the extra screen space but almost no third party app support yet. Thankfully Messenger just got updated because that was borderline unusable before.

Just after 15mins with the phone I had a hard time using my old one. I think the phone is a bit too big still but I'm slowly adjusting but I cant really use it with one hand. I Can touch the other side barely and swiping back in Safari is a bitch.

Also the curve on the screen feels amazing

nikos

As much as I love my 6, I'm still curious to know if I could live with the 6+. With only a few days left to exchange, it probably won't be possible though.

So... Can anyone explain to me how Apple Care works? The benefits of getting it and the price of it? Just got my iPhone 6 2 days ago, is it too late to get AppleCare?

I don't have an Apple Store by me either, so I it worth it?

Apath

Just tried out the iPhone 6 Plus at the Apple store, and I have to say that I am a big fan of the size. Didn't have much difficulty holding it with one hand; I could reach all of the letters on the keyboard and was able to swipe to go back in the browser with one hand.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the text smaller, especially in the news app? It's kind of comical having the text so big when the screen is that large.

nikos

So... Can anyone explain to me how Apple Care works? The benefits of getting it and the price of it? Just got my iPhone 6 2 days ago, is it too late to get AppleCare?

I don't have an Apple Store by me either, so I it worth it?

Your phone comes with one year of regular AppleCare, which covers any technical issues the phone may have. If you go for AppleCare+, accidental damage will also be covered.

Just tried out the iPhone 6 Plus at the Apple store, and I have to say that I am a big fan of the size. Didn't have much difficulty holding it with one hand; I could reach all of the letters on the keyboard and was able to swipe to go back in the browser with one hand.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the text smaller, especially in the news app? It's kind of comical having the text so big when the screen is that large.

You can change the size of text (system wide, except for apps that don't support it) in the general settings.

toohectic

You probably didn't use the phone in its default state with a reasonable text size. Everytime I go by the Apple Store recently, it always seems that a majority of the new iPhones have been configured for abnormal text size or zoom mode which makes everything look funny. I always change them back to normal (default) before putting them back down. I ran across one yesterday that was configured for voice over with a super speed voice. Took me forever to figure out how to unlock the darn thing and turn it off so people could actually play with it.

Dominator

Some apps that are not yet optimized for iOS 8:

eab.png

Yup, and it can even airplay MKV, etc. The official site has a lot of info (even supports the elusive webm format mentioned above), and even more can be found on the fourms (like the answer to your question above from an admin). They're really good about making the updates very substantial too, and have added some amazing stuff to the app. Iphone 6/6+ temporary issues aside, I don't think it's a purchase anybody who uses videos on their tablet/smartphone would regret, and if I ever got an Android phone, looks to be one of the apps I'd miss most not being on that marketplace.

I should add it's kinda humble at first, looks pretty basic, but after you've used it for a week, you'll discover all sorts of hidden features, ways to interact with it that seem completely logical for the most part, and that make going to other video players much worse (dynamic swipe to seek / change volume is really the biggest offender), but even the built in file browser is really nice, as is the browser transfer support (if you want to send your phone videos by web browser over your local network).

Awesome app, too bad it doesn't support DTS :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Awesome app, too bad it doesn't support DTS :(

Maybe one day... they know how much demand there is for it, and it's one of their most requested features, I guess it's just a bit of a mess right now legally or something.

Was this bit comparing to VLC? If so it must've been an old version of it you tried. Looking at Infuse, it seems to have straight up the exact same design as the 2.0 and onwards design of VLC for iOS. Heh.

Btw for the curious, VLC for iOS is open source, so you can compile your own version if you have the know how, they have the sources on the website.

Well, it's been a long time, so it does look a bit more like Infuse now, but it's still not as pretty (and probably lacks many of the things, i don't see screenshots of it integrating in to the tv/movie trackers). :)

knicks

Well my 6 is bent, very very slightly but bent none the less. I have until Friday to return it, thing is, I sold my iPhone 5 to Best Buy for $225 store credit....I would get a 5S, but I don't want to use my upgrade on it when I will most likely just want the 6S in a year. Decisions. And an iPhone 5S off contract is just stupidly priced.

Top Bottom