• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It "just" up scales?

I imagine it will use native larger fonts and that kind of thing a la, pre-retina apps on a retina display?

No doubt a lot of apps will soon be updating as soon as possible.
Non-optimized apps will just upscale. You shouldn't notice a problem aside from everything being slightly bigger. Hopefully all devs will jump on the train and quickly update their apps like they always do. But at least old apps that aren't updated anymore will still be usable.

MCasey

Trying to decide between the 6 or 6+.
The 6+ looks so big, but it has a bigger battery, better screen, and OIS.
I don't know why people trip out about the specs. It's all diminishing returns anyway.
Sounds weird but in the morning I lay in bed and operate my phone one handed.
(Don't worry where my other hand is!) I don't think I'll be able to do that with the 6+.
Argh.. I'm so undecided.

I considered switching to Android, but I am grandfathered into unlimited data and 200 text messaging for $5. I only use about 100 a month because everyone i know uses iMessage.
But if i did, I would get the Moto X. Love the curved back--but I am kinda invested into the Apple ecosystem.
Can we all just get along. Whether you are getting an iPhone or an Android device--we will all have awesome mobile computers.

Can someone tell me about OIS and what type of user that feature applies to?

RedSwirl

There's one thing I wanna know about photos now (maybe this is more of an iOS8 question): Can you resize/resample? Cropping is fine, but I also want resampling. It's one of the few functions for which I still need a desktop.

Raw64life

But the cheapest option was 16GB.. so to Apple, you are in the crowd that would have spent that $100 regardless.

Which is why I'm seriously considering saying fuck you to Apple. It's 2014. My phone is still on iOS 7.0 because I don't have enough space for 7.1. It's petty and ridiculous to offer a phone that comes with 16GB and no storage upgrade options in the year 2014.

As an OSX user the handoff and phone capabilities are pretty great.

Not a Mac user.

Squalor

Which is why I'm seriously considering saying fuck you to Apple. It's 2014. My phone is still on iOS 7.0 because I don't have enough space for 7.1. It's petty and ridiculous to offer a phone that comes with 16GB and no storage upgrade options in the year 2014.

Not a Mac user.
Why don't you just switch, then?

It's not a big deal.

Side note, but iOS upgrades require much less storage space on the device itself if you update by connecting to a machine running iTunes.

Raw64life

Why don't you just switch, then?

It's not a big deal.

I just spent the last half hour looking up some Android phones and gave myself a headache trying to figure out which one I'd want to get. The Z3 Compact looked the best for me, but of course AT&T doesn't carry it. So let me check out the Z2 Compact. Not available on any carrier with a contract. And all the other high end Androids look downright massive. Seems like to nightmare to continue on looking.

Side note, but iOS upgrades require much less storage space on the device itself if you update by connecting to a machine running iTunes.

Didn't know that thanks. I'll try it out.

nikos

Just went to Best Buy during my lunch break to check out the Galaxy Note, so that I could convince myself the iPhone 6+ would be too large. It actually isn't as large as I thought it would be. Now I'm even more torn on which model to get.

Still, It's probably not entirely usable with one hand (I don't have large hands), it probably won't fit in most of my pockets, and there will be no privacy using it in public. 4.7" is more logical, but part of me wants to take the plunge. I don't want the allure of the 4.7" screen to wear off quickly and leave me wishing I had gone for the 5.5".

Squalor

so , how about the battery for iphone 6 , how many mAh ?
i know the 6+ is 2915
but what about the normal 6 ?
It's 1,810 mAh.

As I consider how much larger the screens are, I'm beginning to wonder if the bigger batteries will really mean much in terms of extending the life of the phones' charges.

I feel as though the bigger screens will offset the bigger batteries, so we'll wind up with battery lives that are pretty equivalent to the 5s.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Are the camera specs of the new phone actually identical to 5 and 5s?
They all have 8MP, 2.2 aperture, 1.5 micron sized pixels. I think they said on the conference that the aperture was bigger but it doesn't seem it is if you compare the specs. They were saying they've improved something but it sounds like the improvements are all actually in software.

Servbot24

Banned
It's 1,810 mAh.

As I consider how much larger the screens are, I'm beginning to wonder if the bigger batteries will really mean much in terms of extending the life of the phones' charges.

I feel as though the bigger screens will offset the bigger batteries, so we'll wind up with battery lives that are pretty equivalent to the 5s.

Apple has already provided expected time for battery usage.

GWX

They all have 8MP, 2.2 aperture, 1.5 micron sized pixels. I think they said on the conference that the aperture was bigger but it doesn't seem it is if you compare the specs. They were saying they've improved something but it sounds like the improvements are all actually in software.

The sensor is new, with Focus Pixels and all that jazz. The actual camera is the same as the 5s's, but the upgrade is far from just software.

Servbot24

Banned
I know that.

Apple's "expected" times are usually off from, i.e., higher than, real-world usage.

Even if they're off by an hour or something, they are still very likely to be accurate as far as demonstrating that 6+ will have a noticeably longer charge.

hydruxo

Verizon came in clutch with that new deal. Definitely trying to upgrade my 4S to a 6. No interest in the 6+...it's just too big.

Arlen777

Will they have unlocked iPhones right away, because on website it say iPhone (Tmobile) - 649, i am guessing thats the unlocked one?

ReAxion

i just peeked at gruber's twitter timeline. he said he asked a bunch of Apple employees (not Tim Cook tho) what size they're getting, and they all said they hadn't decided yet.

Squalor

Even if they're off by an hour or something, they are still very likely to be accurate as far as demonstrating that 6+ will have a noticeably longer charge.
We'll see.

I'm just looking at the percentage differences. The screen-size-percentage differences between the iPhone 6 versions and the iPhone 5s are nearly identical to the battery-size-percentage differences.

The 6 seems like a nice upgrade for iphone users. If you for some reason have to stay in the apple ecosystem then yeah it's good.

I've been wondering when are we ever see some insane breakthrough from anyone when it comes to batteries thou, would love for anyone to come up with some new tech that will make our phones last for days.

the spec is exactly the same, the difference is the sensor.

It allows for phase detection autofocus, the one that DSLR's use which means the autofocus is twice as fast as 5 or 5s

HDR photos is one shot rather than the iPhone taking 3 shots and combining them due to the sensor

6+ has optical image stabilization along with the traditional digital image stabilization which is found in 6 and 5 and 5S

But fast autofocus is not that beneficial to pictures which if you have used 5S is already good, its good when using videos when fast autofocus comes into play where in 5S it would constantly blur the object in and out trying to find the range, here the sensor allows for the object to remain in focus consistently throughout.

The sensor's phase detection also allows MUCH lesser noise in night photography because in the previous modes, it would use the traditional methods of Auto focus but now it could slow the shutter speed without sacrificing quality and performance due to sensor and without increasing the ISO in low light

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
So many complaints at the 1GB Ram. Is it really a big deal? Cos I don't think the 5S suffers from having 1GB Ram.

It probably won't be a big deal since the OS doesn't allow a lot to run in the background and developers will still have to make all the same apps work on the still fresh 1GB iPad Air at an even higher resolution.

Smidget

I considered switching to Android, but I am grandfathered into unlimited data and 200 text messaging for $5. I only use about 100 a month because everyone i know uses iMessage.

Are you me? Did the math and it's just not fiscally sound to switch to Android no matter how not very excited I am about the 6!

McHuj

I'd be fine sticking with Verizon if they let me upgrade to the 64GB one early (contract expires in January).

With other carriers offering to buy out my early termination fee, I just may jump, but I haven't decided yet.

i can keep my grandfathered unlimited data ATT plan if i upgrade to the 6, right? ATT website is telling me i have to pick some mobile share plan nonsense.

Laekon

The said the front camera had a bigger aperture.

zigg

This is a really weird thought for me to have, as I've always loved my small iPhones, but I'm half-considering a 6 Plus. I'm confident it'll work out well in the car, at work, at home, but… what about when I'm out and about? Does anyone seriously carry a phone that big without a bag or something similar? How do people do this?

SeanR1221

Can someone explain to me exactly how AT&T next works?

So if I want the 6+ 64GB, then I hand over my iPhone 5, and then I pay 399.99 and thats it?

And then I can technically upgrade each year, handing in the old phone?

Eiolon

i can keep my grandfathered unlimited data ATT plan if i upgrade to the 6, right? ATT website is telling me i have to pick some mobile share plan nonsense.

Yes. I just asked AT&T the same question and they said I can keep it if I decide to remain on contract or go to the AT&T Next program.

Eiolon

I have the same plan, but doesn't it seem throttled most of the time?

If you are using the majority of your data from 1 or 2 cell towers and you are considered a top tier user of said towers then you will be throttled, even if you haven't reached your 3 GB limit.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
For some reason I always use my phone 2-handed so I'm gonna give the 6+ a go. If I don't like it I'm gonna downsize to the 4.7" next year

Squalor

For some reason I always use my phone 2-handed so I'm gonna give the 6+ a go. If I don't like it I'm gonna downsize to the 4.7" next year
You have a thirty-day grace period after purchasing the phone to return it with no other reason than "I don't want it anymore."

You should be able to tell whether you like the phone within thirty days.

If you are using the majority of your data from 1 or 2 cell towers and you are considered a top tier user of said towers then you will be throttled, even if you haven't reached your 3 GB limit.

I was getting throttled all the time and getting messages that I'm a top user. Bullshit.
But, I finally caved and switched to Next. I'm saving a lot of money, but hate worrying about limits. Then again, what's the point of unlimited if it's so damn slow.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Minimum 32GB for the cheapest option (which is what I've always gotten), a much improved battery life (the 5.5 isn't an option for me as that is just WAY too big, not to mention too expensive for me) and more than 1GB of RAM for starters. And iOS 8 looks like the most minimal update to an iOS ever. Apple seemed to save the big updates for every other year and I planned my upgrades around it, but this year's big selling point was just "Shit is huge now.", which I don't want, and I wasn't impressed at all.
Your first point is frankly moot at there are memory options out there for what you want. I mean you say "I've always gotten 32GB" and for that same price you now get 64GB.

The battery life is improved, though we'll leave the subjective argument of "much" alone as it's, well, subjective.

Which brings us to RAM. so basically two things (RAM and battery) and it's worth switching platforms after 6 years of being satisfied.

To each their own but two complaints out of a top end smartphone seems pretty damn good. Sure you will find other phones out their addressing those two but I promise those phones will have complaints of their own also, and you'll be lucky if it's just two.

Sure they didn't announce a generational leap yesterday, but NO ONE has announced a generational leap for a few years now. Mobile technology is just past that sort of growth.

So is there anything different about this "ion strengthened glass" or is it the same gorilla glass used on the previous iPhones?

I wanted to be done with screen protectors :-(

Top Bottom