• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Alright. I'll have to check up on this before it's go time. I've never used the app before during a phone launch. So I didn't even know you could buy physical items through it (thought it was only for music and movies/ digital goods).

Usually it's the preferred method. I don't know why Apple's site will go down and the Apple Store App is still functioning just fine. It makes absolutely no sense, but it does.

numble

iPhones used to be the cheapest in the world in tax-free Hong Kong. Now they know this is where scalpers go, and have raised the price so that iPhones would actually be cheaper in LA or NY. I imagine the scalping will still be fierce this year since the new ones aren't releasing the same day in China (like last year).

I just happen to be on a business trip to China on the 17th, 2 days before release, otherwise I might've attempted to take advantage of rich Chinese people willing to throw hundreds of dollars extra just to be an early adopter with a phone that might not be compatible with their LTE networks.

Raw64life

This. I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem w/ purchased apps, music, movies, saved app data, iPhotos, contacts and I don't want to spend the time, effort, and money in order to transition to a new platform that has a few features that I may or may not like in regards to *how* they're implemented. I'd rather wait for Apple to do it.

Pretty much. I've had an iPhone for the last 6 years and I'm extremely disappointed by the iPhone 6. I just spent the last half hour looking up some Android phones and gave myself a headache trying to figure out which one I'd want to get. The Z3 Compact looked the best for me, but of course AT&T doesn't carry it. So let me check out the Z2 Compact. Not available on any carrier with a contract. And all the other high end Androids look downright massive. Seems like to nightmare to continue on.

So with the new verizon promotion to get a free iPhone 6 with a upgrade when you trade in your old iPhone, do you need to preorder one to qalify?

Pretty much. I've had an iPhone for the last 6 years and I'm extremely disappointed by the iPhone 6. I just spent the last half hour looking up some Android phones and gave myself a headache trying to figure out which one I'd want to get. The Z3 Compact looked the best for me, but of course AT&T doesn't carry it. So let me check out the Z2 Compact. Not available on any carrier with a contract. And all the other high end Androids look downright massive. Seems like to nightmare to continue on.

I'm curious to know what you wanted from the iPhone 6. I feel like we're nearing that point where I can't think of much else I want added. Better camera and battery life are pretty much the big things for me every 2 years.

Mononoke

Banned
Usually it's the preferred method. I don't know why Apple's site will go down and the Apple Store App is still functioning just fine. It makes absolutely no sense, but it does.

I'm actually without a phone right now (broke it 3 weeks ago). So I desperately want to get an iPhone 6. Usually I can wait for upgrades and I have patience. But this is the first launch where I'm anxious, as I actually need one. So I appreciate everyone on here being very helpful and giving those of us that are new to launch some insight/tips.

I would have never have known to use the app. So I'm really grateful to you guys.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm curious to know what you wanted from the iPhone 6. I feel like we're nearing that point where I can't think of much else I want added. Better camera and battery life are pretty much the big things for me every 2 years.

Same here. NFC was really the last big missing feature.

So with the new verizon promotion to get a free iPhone 6 with a upgrade when you trade in your old iPhone, do you need to preorder one to qalify?

I'm kind of curious as to how this works too. I'm switching from AT&T to Verizon this time out, and want a 64GB iPhone 6, but couldn't exactly tell how I take advantage of this deal, and get an iPhone on the day of release.

SuperPac

I could understand being disappointed. If you:

- Liked the size of the 5/5S
- Don't want a bigger phone
- Were hoping for better battery life on the smaller model
- Don't like the rounded edges and styling
- Were hoping for a better camera on the standard 6 (they say it's better but do not say how and only the 6 Plus has the OIS)

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times and if so feel free to point me to the correct thread. Had an iPhone 3G then moved on to the 4 and now my iPhone 5 contract has just expired. I'm not blown away by the 6/6+ but the I was never expecting some crazy new feature in the first place. Seeing a lot of people say the iPhone is behind compared to Android on features and specs etc.
So as I'm at the point where I need to decide what I am going to commit to for the next two years what are the real world differences and benefits of jumping ship to Android?

A better processor sounds great on paper but then I hear about Android lag and stutter so Android owners/Ex-iPhone owners what made you make the switch?

I'm kind of curious as to how this works too. I'm switching from AT&T to Verizon this time out, and want a 64GB iPhone 6, but couldn't exactly tell how I take advantage of this deal, and get an iPhone on the day of release.

I think it's only offered on the 16gb iPhone 6. I would think if you want more space you would just pay the difference in price. I wish they had something that made it clearer.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
- Were hoping for a better camera on the standard 6 (they say it's better but do not say how and only the 6 Plus has the OIS)

Here's a comparison across all iPhone models.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Basically, the improvements over the 5S camera are Focus Pixels, up to 43 megapixel panorama shots, 60fps 1080p HD video recording, 240fps slo-mo video, Cinematic video stabilization (video), continuous autofocus video. Facetime camera now has auto HDR for videos as well as photos, improved face detection and burst mode.

It's an incremental improvement. But I think the 5S camera is extremely good to begin with.

I think it's only offered on the 16gb iPhone 6. I would think if you want more space you would just pay the difference in price. I wish they had something that made it clearer.

Yeah, I was thinking that I'd pay the difference for the 64GB version. But how the program actually works isn't well spelled out.

VeeP

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times and if so feel free to point me to the correct thread. Had an iPhone 3G then moved on to the 4 and now my iPhone 5 contract has just expired. I'm not blown away by the 6/6+ but the I was never expecting some crazy new feature in the first place. Seeing a lot of people say the iPhone is behind compared to Android on features and specs etc.
So as I'm at the point where I need to decide what I am going to commit to for the next two years what are the real world differences and benefits of jumping ship to Android?

A better processor sounds great on paper but then I hear about Android lag and stutter so Android owners/Ex-iPhone owners what made you make the switch?

Most of the android lag is gone with Android L (newest update I believe).

Main benefits for android are:
*more open phone, customizable, etc.
*more choices. Samsung, Sony, HTC.
*Higher resolution screen
*micro sd cards on some phones
*water proofing on some phones
*better battery on some phones

BFIB

Lag hasn't been an issue with Android for quite some time....as long as your not using Touchwiz.

Seth C

Personally I just wanted better battery life and a better camera at the same size. Didn't really get much of anything I want. Don't want a bigger phone. Just don't. I could have tolerated 4.7" at most, but there was nothing special otherwise and well, I'd prefer it smaller as is sooo...

Lag hasn't been an issue with Android for quite some time....as long as your not using Touchwiz.

Hmmm if the lag is gone then great, app selection okay?
For as much as I hear about iOS having the best app selection I'm assuming Android has all of the essentials.
So as someone potentially thinking of jumping ship what comes recommended at the moment?
Wait for the new Nexus or get something soon?

Mononoke

Banned
For as much as I hear about iOS having the best app selection I'm assuming Android has all of the essentials.
So as someone potentially thinking of jumping ship what comes recommended at the moment?

You could always root too, and remove bloatware like Touch Whiz. And yeah, I never had an issue with app selection going from Apple to Android. If you aren't heavily invested in music/movies content in the Apple ecosystem, Android has just as good of Apps/market IMO.

I would highly recommend trying out an android device first though, to make sure you like Android's OS.

mrkgoo

I just had the same experience. It's interesting that for us, the reaction is "fuck, it's so big," whereas for the 18, 19, 20 year olds, it's "cool, it's so big!"
For kids who have grown up with mobile phones as a regular part of their life, going bigger is seen as better.

For people who have since added phones into our lives as we grew perhaps we've always seen it as an accessory.

It kinda makes sense and is pretty interesting.

At any rate, like always, unflattering shots of the products before announcement certainly make a huge difference to the final finished product shots. Both the watch and iPhone 6 looks great in their promotional material.

hitsugi

Just wait until late-October or November to see if there is going to be a new Nexus device.

MedIC86

Im thinking about getting a 6+, but how does it gonna work with resolution in apps? i really hated the long wait till most apps were iPhone 5 compatible, is this gonna be the same or?

northead

I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the design. Maybe the continuous leaking of mockups has kinda ruined it for me, but what bothers me the most is the complete removal of a truly black option. The Space Gray 5s had the top and bottom bars at least, which gave it a much darker-looking feeling in my opinion. OTOH, both gold and silver look utterly ugly in my eyes. Like really, really bad looking - at least the gold one. Silver is just boring, as if it was an unfinished product. But that's mostly me not liking those colours in general, not much of an iPhone's issue.
I'll save my final judgement for the moment I manage to see them in person though.

BFIB

After I made the switch, there really hasn't been any apps that I've missed, or didn't notice. Now, on tablets, thats where the issue comes into play, as a lot of tablet apps on Android (I'l admit, I haven't touched an Android tablet since I got the iPad Air) are blown up on the tablets screen. As for the phone, no issues whatsoever. Been on Android since the 4S, and haven't missed iOS in the least.

Basically, the improvements over the 5S camera are Focus Pixels, up to 43 megapixel panorama shots, 60fps 1080p HD video recording, 240fps slo-mo video, Cinematic video stabilization (video), continuous autofocus video. Facetime camera now has auto HDR for videos as well as photos, improved face detection and burst mode.

It's an incremental improvement. But I think the 5S camera is extremely good to begin with.

You forgot the mention that the iphone 4-5s used the same sensor. Iphone 6 goes on with a newer sensor. Sensors are more important than all tjr specs you mentioned

Raw64life

Minimum 32GB for the cheapest option (which is what I've always gotten), a much improved battery life (the 5.5 isn't an option for me as that is just WAY too big, not to mention too expensive for me) and more than 1GB of RAM for starters. And iOS 8 looks like the most minimal update to an iOS ever. Apple seemed to save the big updates for every other year and I planned my upgrades around it, but this year's big selling point was just "Shit is huge now.", which I don't want, and I wasn't impressed at all.

jstripes

Banned

They're always improving the quality of the iPhone camera, but it would have been nice if they could have bumped it to 12mp. When you have no optical zoom, having more pixels helps out a bit.

So many complaints at the 1GB Ram. Is it really a big deal? Cos I don't think the 5S suffers from having 1GB Ram.
My iphone 5 runs faster and smoother than my my friends' newer android phones which all have more than a gig of ram. This doesn't bother me one bit so long as the 6 still runs fast.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So we know there is NFC thanks to Apple Pay... But I'm wondering if it actually works as a full NFC function as in Android phones.

'Will third party apps have access to it?' I guess is the question.

hitsugi

Minimum 32GB for the cheapest option (which is what I've always gotten), a much improved battery life (the 5.5 isn't an option for me as that is just WAY too big, not to mention too expensive for me) and more than 1GB of RAM for starters. And iOS 8 looks like the most minimal update to an iOS ever. Apple seemed to save the big updates for every other year and I planned my upgrades around it, but this year's big selling point was just "Shit is huge now.", which I don't want, and I wasn't impressed at all.

But the cheapest option was 16GB.. so to Apple, you are in the crowd that would have spent that $100 regardless.

After I made the switch, there really hasn't been any apps that I've missed, or didn't notice. Now, on tablets, thats where the issue comes into play, as a lot of tablet apps on Android (I'l admit, I haven't touched an Android tablet since I got the iPad Air) are blown up on the tablets screen. As for the phone, no issues whatsoever. Been on Android since the 4S, and haven't missed iOS in the least.

Yeah I have an iPad Air so I'm thinking try out the best of both worlds.

Husker86

So many complaints at the 1GB Ram. Is it really a big deal? Cos I don't think the 5S suffers from having 1GB Ram.

My iphone 5 runs faster and smoother than my my friends' newer android phones which all have more than a gig of ram. This doesn't bother me one bit so long as the 6 still runs fast.

RAM these days has very little to do with how fast the phone runs in single apps, and more to do with multitasking.

More RAM = less reloading of apps when switching to them.

And anyway, no matter how well you optimize, having the same amount of RAM for 3 iterations in a row in the fast-paced tech gadget world is a bit disappointing.

Two biggest things I miss using Android is Tweetbot and having all of my games populated with GameCenter friends on the leaderboards. Fenix is about the best Twitter app I found on Android, but I still don't think anything can touch Tweetbot. Google Play Games is the same concept as GameCenter, I just have a ton of iOS friends and not many on Android.

spekkeh

Banned

I don't think Apple is at the point where they purposefully nerf an SKU so you buy the (even) more expensive one
yet
, and they have a history of testing for smoothness, so it should probably be fine in most use cases. I think it's more a price/value issue. Why does the thing cost almost twice the amount of premium Android phones from a year ago that have superior specs. You might not need more GBs of RAM, but you would expect to get them.

As an OSX user the handoff and phone capabilities are pretty great.

Hari Seldon

Can someone explain to me how sims card work? If I were to straight up purchase the iPhone 6 without a contract, do I have to worry about which one I purchase if I wanted to go to T-mobile? Or do they just swap out the sim card when I go to sign up for the plan?

Soybean

iOS 8 is a pretty huge update, but most of it comes in the form of new APIs, so those changes won't manifest themselves until developers build awesome apps with them.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I have an iPad Air so I'm thinking try out the best of both worlds.

Game selection on Android is horrible. Business/production apps it's got everything you need, though some of the hipper stuff like Hyperlapse takes time to get ported. The Google apps naturally work like a charm.

robotrock

Banned
Is the contrast ratio superior on the plus? I have to admit I have no idea what any of this means. Just trying to figure out if I want a plus or not.

Top Bottom