• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I would guess the RAM size has been discussed to death. Only thing I want to add is after repeatedly having an in-app browser close due to low memory on my iPad Mini (also 1GB), people here pointing out browser tabs not needing to refresh after running in the background on other phones, and from noticing in Battery Doctor how easily RAM fills up, it's time for an increase next year. Optimization can only go so far.

Ninja Dom

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I would guess the RAM size has been discussed to death. Only thing I want to add is after repeatedly having an in-app browser close due to low memory on my iPad Mini (also 1GB), people here pointing out browser tabs not needing to refresh after running in the background on other phones, and from noticing in Battery Doctor how easily RAM fills up, it's time for an increase next year. Optimization can only go so far.

I mentioned earlier, but I think there is a big issue with Safari in iOS 8. Others have mentioned that other browsers don't have as many tab reloads as Safari is having.

Deku Tree

I mentioned earlier, but I think there is a big issue with Safari in iOS 8. Others have mentioned that other browsers don't have as many tab reloads as Safari is having.

It's a well known Apple design choice. Tabs reload on OSX too on my rMBP with 16GB ram and no other apps open...

nikos

One local store is showing 6+ in stock. Strongly considering goin to exchange my 6 for it right now. Should I do it? Have a feeling if end up going back to the 6.

I wish iOS8 had the native rescaling feature for iPhone Apps on iPad. My 6 Plus doesn't have a stretched (2x or 3x) mode for the Instagram App (which hasn't been updated) but my iPad Air still has to use the old stretched 2x mode. I wish Apple would have put in the rescaling into iOS8 for iPad too...

If developers go through some initial legwork to update their apps for the 6 Plus, they'll also be like 90% there to making the app universal, and support everything seamlessly from iPad to iPhone 5S.

iOS 8 doesn't have the functionality, but Xcode 6 strongly encourages universal apps.

junglist

Anyone else having troubles deciding?

My current phone is the Galaxy S3..

I never owned an Iphone before.. but i do have an ipad with shit tons of music... so aside from Itunes....

Iphone 6 or Sony Xperia Z3.... is what im coming down to.... ooh yeah I live in Germany so i believe the Z3 is released already...lf not.. sometime this week.

If developers go through some initial legwork to update their apps for the 6 Plus, they'll also be like 90% there to making the app universal, and support everything seamlessly from iPad to iPhone 5S.

iOS 8 doesn't have the functionality, but Xcode 6 strongly encourages universal apps.

As long as developers still take advantage of iPad and don't think screen size is at the point where they can "do an Android" and simply offer blown up phone apps that's great.

BFIB

I never owned an Iphone before.. but i do have an ipad with shit tons of music... so aside from Itunes....

Iphone 6 or Sony Xperia Z3.... is what im coming down to.... ooh yeah I live in Germany so i believe the Z3 is released already...lf not.. sometime this week.

You really can't go wrong with either IMO. I went back to iPhone after being on Android for the past 3 years. There's a lot about being back on iOS that I like, and there's things I miss.

If you have PS4, then remote play on the Z3 looks like a solid choice.

Use multiple apps. Sorry, but it's the best solution. Every all-in-one app I've ever used has had some sort of stupid design decision, problem working with the service, or other downfall.

And tell your friend on AIM to come to the modern era. I was an AIM hold out way past its prime, but even I've moved on now.

I've tried telling him. He is literally the last person using AIM and he's afraid of FB, hate Google and doesn't wanna use anything else.

Mononoke

Banned
My spigen case shipped from Amazon. Looks like some of them were back in stock today. I'll let you guys know what I think whenbu get it. I still love my Apple leather case. I've yet to have any warping, and my leather case hasn't gotten any scuff or dirt marks.

Heysoos

what the hell is going on with my shipping lol. It was in China for like 3 days, then it moved to Korea then it was suddenly in China again. Now it's in Korea again. Estimated delivery day was set for Wednesday and now it's delayed to Friday.

I've tried telling him. He is literally the last person using AIM and he's afraid of FB, hate Google and doesn't wanna use anything else.

Have him make a fake Facebook page that doesn't use any of his real info and only friend the people he wants to message with. Solves his fear and everyone else's annoyances.

He sounds like a handful. No one here would judge you harshly for cutting him out of your life. Especially not after AIM + 2014. Even the precious bonds of family would be strained under that weight.

I've got the s3 as well and this would also be my first iphone so I don't carry the same feelings of those who have grown stale of iOS. I just bought my gf the iphone 6 and I really liked the feel of the device when setting it up for her. After reading the Anandtech review I don't think I'll be missing android much as the iphone 6 appears to be a well balanced phone that does most things right like battery life, camera, app and game performance all without feeling over sized to me.

Shitty thing is all apple stores in my area have been sold out of the grey 64gb for like the last week and I check about 3 times a day

How do I carry over my back catalogue of podcasts to a new iPhone? It seems I have to download them all over again (it remembers which podcasts I'm subscribed to, and which episodes I've listened to, but I have to stream them; they aren't downloaded). Unfortunately, this means that if the podcast only allows you to download episodes back to a certain date, I can't access older episodes.

How do I carry over my back catalogue of podcasts to a new iPhone? It seems I have to download them all over again (it remembers which podcasts I'm subscribed to, and which episodes I've listened to, but I have to stream them; they aren't downloaded). Unfortunately, this means that if the podcast only allows you to download episodes back to a certain date, I can't access older episodes.

When you go into your podcast it shows you the unplayed episodes but there's also a toggle for "Feed." That should show you all back issues...at least it does for me.

TheContact

Got my Iphone 6 Plus yesterday and had a full day to play around with it. The first thing I did was put a screen protector on it and the best in store option was the Pelican case which I like because it covers the ports. Always with iPhones you can see a ton of dirt gets in the ports so it's nice that this covers them and easily lifts up if you need access to them. The protection is nice but the downside with this case is that you need to put a lot of very firm pressure on the power button in order to push the button down. I don't know why it's so heavily protected that it's difficult to press down the power button. Waking it is fine because you can use the home button but whenever I want to put it to sleep I have to use a lot of force. But aside from that I really like it. And the phone is beastly. I went from a 4.7 inch to this and never expected myself to ever own a phablet but damn I don't want to go back. And I don't have large hands.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just bought the regular 6 the plus is way to big for me. Just waiting it to restore from my backup. So far it feels nice just waiting to use it.

Any iPhone 6 Plus docks with line out other than the Henge Gravitas? It's not MFi certified and I don't like the lightning to miniusb aspect nor the weird sync / line out restriction. Plus it's not cheap, should cost a bit less given those compromises. Still it seems to be the only option in town for my needs...

Tekniqs

hey guys, what's Apple's policy on stuck pixels? Ended up upgrading one of my lines to get another one and it was 1 dead pixel on the bottom, and a tiny cluster on the right side of the screen...

Question...

Is there a way I can access media/content on a portable hard drive from the iPhone (or iOS devices in general)? I will be traveling and I want to take my portable hard drive with me if possible for movies, shows, photos. Is there any easy way to do this?

Vyer

hey guys, what's Apple's policy on stuck pixels? Ended up upgrading one of my lines to get another one and it was 1 dead pixel on the bottom, and a tiny cluster on the right side of the screen...

Apple store will replace the phone for you

Hiko

Banned
Just had a good look at the phones in person today. Few observations:

1. The new shade of gold is hideous. It's noticeably more bling-y than the 5s, which was a lighter champagne. The terrible white antenna bands just make this entire model unappealing.

2. For some reason the white face looks bad on the 6. Like, it makes the phone look cheap and toy-ish. Which is weird because I found the 5s looked a lot more elegant and fancy in white compared to black. I guess it's the larger and more rounded shape that makes it seem that way. Maybe the lack of the chamfered edges as well.

3. The space grey model is definitely the one to get. Looks super sleek and premium.

I been experiencing a lot of springboard crashes on 8.0.2 on iPhone 6 compared to 8.0 which had no crashes at all. Also wifi speed is terrible on 8.0.2 compared to 8.0.

I'm on the last version of 7 as I restored the backup from my 4. If I reset to factory settings, will that put me on 8.0? Also, does that scrap all my stuff since I don't have an 8.0 image to restore back to?

I'm on the last version of 7 as I restored the backup from my 4. If I reset to factory settings, will that put me on 8.0? Also, does that scrap all my stuff since I don't have an 8.0 image to restore back to?

you will go to 8.0.2 and you can restore from backup to get your apps, data, and setting.

Vyer

If you bought a new plus and restored from backup it won't go to 7 it will still be 8. Restore from backup only brings data/apps.

Update 8.0.1 had issues but has already been replaced with 8.0.2. I haven't had any issues with my regular 6.

If you bought a new plus and restored from backup it won't go to 7 it will still be 8. Restore from backup only brings data/apps.

Update 8.0.1 had issues but has already been replaced with 8.0.2. I haven't had any issues with my regular 6.

You're right, I'm on 8.0, I assumed it restored the iOS version. It's running great now, do I dare risk the update? That red update marker will annoy me until I do hehe

Screw it, updating. Fingers crossed!

Clipse

Damn, got an e-mail notice earlier today saying the 128GB 6+ in silver was in-stock near me, but I already picked up the phone in Space Gray last Friday. Wish I could've held out a little longer since the silver model was my first choice.

Tekniqs

hey guys just to follow up on my last question. I bought the Iphone at BestBuy. Would I still be able to bring it to Apple and get it exchanged due to the dead pixels? Or will I have to bring it to BestBuy?

BFIB

hey guys just to follow up on my last question. I bought the Iphone at BestBuy. Would I still be able to bring it to Apple and get it exchanged due to the dead pixels? Or will I have to bring it to BestBuy?
You can take it to Apple.

Triz

Upgrade my 16gb 5 to a 128gb 6 (only one they had in stock, oh well.). Happy so far, nice to have the fingerprint scanner and stuff I didn't have before.

Mononoke

Banned
I had my iPhone 6 plus in my pocket for 5 hours today (not consecutive although 2-3 hours were). Had to drive long distance, walked around shopping. Also had it in my pocket when getting my haircut. It was pretty hot out today as well. After a long day I had no warping. I'm using an Apple leather case.

Not sure if this was even worth posting. But I've been kind of paranoid and have been careful with using my iPhone up until today. My spigen case is coming tomorrow.

Top Bottom