• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Mononoke

Banned
I'm loving the 6+ but the lack of apps optimized is killing me. Trying some games and it's disappointing. Any game suggestions for this thing?

Yeah I'm in love with it too. I personally use it more than my iPad mini now. I don't play games on my phone so I haven't run into too many optimization issues. But a couple games I did try to play didn't work on the 6 plus. So that sucks.

It sucks the phone has app optimization problems :/ Hope we get updates to fix this. Although I imagine this depends on the app creator and not apple? Or can Apple force apps to work the bigger screen? Like upscaling?

Croc

Banned
Got my 6+ today 3 weeks earlier than the estimated shipping date from Verizon! That was a nice surprise.

Got a simple (and ugly) case from Verizon for short term, but I'm looking for something better. Any recommendations for best price/quality on cases?

ZeroX03

Banned
My Apple leather case arrived today. Got all my backups sorted. Just waiting for the Plus to arrive now.

If only I could hibernate for two weeks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm loving the 6+ but the lack of apps optimized is killing me. Trying some games and it's disappointing. Any game suggestions for this thing?

I want to know if sprite art games scale up well.... Cave games anyone? Even the ports of Chrono Trigger, or whatever?

Vyer

Yeah I'm in love with it too. I personally use it more than my iPad mini now. I don't play games on my phone so I haven't run into too many optimization issues. But a couple games I did try to play didn't work on the 6 plus. So that sucks.

It sucks the phone has app optimization problems :/ Hope we get updates to fix this. Although I imagine this depends on the app creator and not apple? Or can Apple force apps to work the bigger screen? Like upscaling?

You're waiting on devs to update their apps for the most part. Apple also approves the apps and releases them to the store, so that's also something that can create delays.

Mononoke

Banned
You're waiting on devs to update their apps for the most part. Apple also approves the apps and releases them to the store, so that's also something that can create delays.

Ah okay. So certain old games probably won't get updated...
Or have a lower chance of doing so if they already aren't being uodated for years lol

Corgi

Banned
Ah okay. So certain old games probably won't get updated...
Or have a lower chance of doing so if they already aren't being uodated for years lol
Weirdly enough I have no issues with games for the most part. Its text heavy apps that stands out the most.

Really torn on this whole case thing. I always go nude but well see, its a little slippery now that its so smooth.

Fucking love my plus. It will be so much better once it and apps get smoothed out and optimised.

Loving the ladscape homescreen and apps also.

Mononoke

Banned
Really torn on this whole case thing. I always go nude but well see, its a little slippery now that its so smooth.

Fucking love my plus. It will be so much better once it and apps get smoothed out and optimised.

Loving the ladscape homescreen and apps also.

I was the same way. I've never used a case prior. Always felt it defeated the purpose. These new ones really need a case though IMO as they are too slippery. I got the Apple leather case and it's super thin and doesn't add any weight. But it also makes the phone easier to hold and feels better in my hands. Also the phone is already so thin and light that it feels great with the case on.

Not worth the $50 though.

ZeroX03

Banned
I want to know if sprite art games scale up well.... Cave games anyone? Even the ports of Chrono Trigger, or whatever?

Damn you just reminded me of a benefit of the big screen. Much clearer and easy to play games. Might have to bite on a few of the SE titles...

Hope the Monkey Island SE titles get updated. Apparently some of Capcom's stuff is crashing on iOS8 too so that needs to get fixed.

Corgi

Banned

They look fine, but it all depends on the filters that were used originally. Crono trigger will still look like a blurry mess etc.

BocoDragon

They look fine, but it all depends on the filters that were used originally. Crono trigger will still look like a blurry mess etc.

Yeah I'm not expecting much from CT (it just popped into my mind).

I just hope I can play Espgaluda, Bug Princess, and the Dodonpachis pretty much as I enjoyed them, but bigger.

Damn you just reminded me of a benefit of the big screen. Much clearer and easy to play games. Might have to bite on a few of the SE titles...

That's half the reason for my 6 Plus lust... I love my iOS game collection, and if they're on a screen that matters (I'm coming from 4S), I'll be so happy.

Hope the Monkey Island SE titles get updated. Apparently some of Capcom's stuff is crashing on iOS8 too so that needs to get fixed.

Been awhile, but wasn't the first one (at least) pre-retina??

ZeroX03

Banned
Been awhile, but wasn't the first one (at least) pre-retina??

Yeah it was. MI2 was updated for Retina but neither got widescreen support, so it's unlikely they'll continue supporting them (especially since LucasArts changed hands). It's a shame, we know they've got the HD assets from the PC/iPad versions but we can't run the iPad version on the 6 Plus unfortunately.

Are SE good with keeping their stuff updated? I could buy FF4-6, CT and TWEWY again tbh. They mention there's some iOS8 bugs they plan on fixing so hopefully that means adding supporting for the 6 Plus resolution.

Future

Went to best buy today to look at the plus and the note 4. Opened google and opened a PDF on both devices. The Note struttered with scrolling the pdf. The iphone plus was buttery smooth. Apple just knows how to keep their shit smooth

After going back and forth between the phones I also got extremely used to the size. Went back to the normal iphone 6 afterwards and it actually felt small after getting used to the plus.

Gonna go for it. Just need to find one.

Corgi

Banned
Yeah I'm not expecting much from CT (it just popped into my mind).

I just hope I can play Espgaluda, Bug Princess, and the Dodonpachis pretty much as I enjoyed them, but bigger.

If you ever tried playing them on ipad, thats about what you'd expect. Those prerendered sprites never looked that great in the first place, can't imagine them looking better here lol.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Why bother comparing an year old phone to the 6? Same when I see people comparing the note 3 to the 6+, makes no sense

To see if progress has been made in a year's time?

To see if it's more cost effective to buy a cheaper phone from last year?

Husker86

Went to best buy today to look at the plus and the note 4. Opened google and opened a PDF on both devices. The Note struttered with scrolling the pdf. The iphone plus was buttery smooth. Apple just knows how to keep their shit smooth

After going back and forth between the phones I also got extremely used to the size. Went back to the normal iphone 6 afterwards and it actually felt small after getting used to the plus.

You can try out the Note 4 at Best Buy now?

BocoDragon

If you ever tried playing them on ipad, thats about what you'd expect. Those prerendered sprites never looked that great in the first place, can't imagine them looking better here lol.

I don't think they'd look better... but I just worried that due to scaling, they might look worse. As long as it's the game I know, just bigger, I know what to expect.

Sid

Note 4 struggles to scroll through a PDF? that's bad

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I ended up rolling with the speck candyshell grip case, they had a black one in stock. Very rigid feeling case with what seems like ample amount of rubber to cushion said device. This phones not bending in this!

T.O.P

Banned
Ended up ordering one on the Store

7-10 days doesn't sound so bad

waiting.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
Note 4 struggles to scroll through a PDF? that's bad

I find all Android devices tend to have trouble with PDFs, tried a bunch of apps but none were perfect. Apple's Books apps works fine for me.

Have a Note 3 sitting here that cannot browse the web smoothly for the life of me. Chrome and default browser both suffer from horrendous stuttering. Need to use Dolphin with Jetpack to be bareable. Everything else works well enough, but it's temperamental.

BocoDragon

The Future Shop demo unit I played of the iPhone 6 had Christian Whitehead's Sonic 1 port on it. I found it amazing that this futuristic phone, in the year of our lord 2014, had Sonic the Hedgehog on it.. so awesome.

Sid

I find all Android devices tend to have trouble with PDFs, tried a bunch of apps but none were perfect. Apple's Books apps works fine for me.

Have a Note 3 sitting here that cannot browse the web smoothly for the life of me. Chrome and default browser both suffer from horrendous stuttering. Need to use Dolphin with Jetpack to be bareable. Everything else works well enough, but it's temperamental.
Wow WTH,should I even bother with Android?

ZeroX03

Banned
Wow WTH,should I even bother with Android?

I wouldn't necessarily take my word for it, I have notoriously bad luck with Android devices. Or any refurbs (including Apple). Brand new Apple stuff is pretty reliable though, including reliably expensive.

Ashhong

Was pissed at this Spigen inventory issue on Amazon, so I was searching through Amazon and saw another company selling the exact same case but with no Spigen logo and at half the price. Got that and a minisuit case instead. Happened with the iPhone 5 too. Fuck Spigen and their shitty communication.

My girlfriend, who isn't into trying too hard for technology just called a Telstra shop & asked for a 128 gig iPhone 6+ in Space Grey. The guy said they're sold out and aren't taking reservations. Gets a call this morning saying 1 came in and she can have it.

It's a pretty great phone. The camera is fantastic but until I load up some good apps on it, who knows. It should be able to run ipad apps though, it's big enough

Blearth

Banned
Just got my e-mail from T-Mobile

Carrier estimated delivery date: 10/01/2014

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

128GB 6+ tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Frost

Oh damn I am getting my iPhone 6 tomorrow or friday but I am already dying of anxiety... the waiting have been... stressful... for a week... I NEED MY IPHONE 6 NOW!!!

Number45

This is basically why I'm going with the 6+ regardless of how much of a leap in size it is over my 4s. A single device that can basically replace my phone, iPad and Kindle.

I've also settled on a case, which helps. I'm not brave enough to forego a hard case this time, even though I've been a proud semi-naked (soft slip case) iPhone wielder for several years now.

Top Bottom