• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Koyuga

The battery life on this thing is awesome, but the unfortunate trade-off is that it takes forever to charge. Does anyone else have the problem, or is it just me?
Did a battery life test, went through the entire day from 100% without plugging it in until I was in the red, with pretty heavy usage and setting the brightness between 25% and 60% based on my needs.
tF2hnd2.jpg
Pretty good considering this is about what I got on my 5 when always kept at 25% or below. Did a lot of downloading and installing/deleting of apps, played games, tons of web browsing. What a phenomenal device.

Smokey

I think I want an iphone, but I'm not sure. I've had this strong dislike for Apple for a long time. Have always been Android and up until last week an Apple product has never been in my house. That was until I bought my wife a MacBook pro.

Now I find myself curious about the I6...even though I have a One M8. Those that have jumped from Android to iOS...How is the transition

Corgi

Banned
6+ battery is great, but the best part really is charging your phone with the ipad charger.

shit gets like 20% after i take a quick shower lol.

ridiculous the iphone doens't come with one out of the box

I think I want an iphone, but I'm not sure. I've had this strong dislike for Apple for a long time. Have always been Android and up until last week an Apple product has never been in my house. That was until I bought my wife a MacBook pro.

Now I find myself curious about the I6...even though I have a One M8. Those that have jumped from Android to iOS...How is the transition

i6 is lower resolution screen and smaller. And a lot of things that make android awesome still hasn't made it to ios (widgets, chosing default apps).

Best bet is to play with one at an applestore/at&t, bestbuy etc.

this was my first iphone as I've also been on Android since about 2009 and its actually not a bad transition to iOS. I do miss some of the customization parts of Android but I've gotten over it. One of the hardest parts to get used to was having no back buttons on the bottom of the phone instead they're placed on top of the screen where you have to reach to go back a page for the menus. Most apps allow you to swipe right on the screen to go back which is nice but not all of them have this feature which can be quite annoying for one handed use.

Husker86

For what it's worth, I went back to my Nexus 5 after a week. I still have the iPhone 6 since I've been teaching myself programming for the last year and a half and want it for apps, but there was too much I missed from Android.

The main things are widgets (the only widget I use is calendar agenda widget on my homescreen and I love it) and Google Now. Just this morning it saved me from being late to work by triggering a notification alert telling me that traffic was bad because of an accident. It has done this on multiple occasions. The iPhone will tell you travel times in the notification shade, I think, but it I don't think it gives an actual notification, with sound and all. And that's just one small part of Google Now that I love.

I don't think you'd be unhappy with one, but if you are deep into Google services, I would be surprised if you thought the switch was worth it.

I'll still swap SIMs to it every now and then to keep things fresh though. It is a nice piece of hardware.

hitsugi

For what it's worth, I went back to my Nexus 5 after a week. I still have the iPhone 6 since I've been teaching myself programming for the last year and a half and want it for apps, but there was too much I missed from Android.

The main things are widgets (the only widget I use is calendar agenda widget on my homescreen and I love it) and Google Now. Just this morning it saved me from being late to work by triggering a notification alert telling me that traffic was bad because of an accident. It has done this on multiple occasions. The iPhone will tell you travel times in the notification shade, I think, but it I don't think it gives an actual notification, with sound and all. And that's just one small part of Google Now that I love.

Yeah, Google Now is likely the only thing I'd really miss. Customization, sure.. but Google Now is really amazing. I thought they came up with a similar app for iOS? Or it's just Google Search?

What colour looks the best for the Plus? Space grey (black front) or silver (white front)? I've usually always went with black (iPhone 4 and 5) but I'm not sure at the moment - Black feels more premium but white looks cleaner.

The black looks really good and I always went with black, but I'm exchanging for the white, it's just too sexy

Husker86

Yeah, Google Now is likely the only thing I'd really miss. Customization, sure.. but Google Now is really amazing. I thought they came up with a similar app for iOS? Or it's just Google Search?

Google Search App is kinda 'Now'-ish. It even has notifications, but...it just didn't work the same. It isn't as integrated (obviously), and opening the app and scrolling through the cards is nowhere near as quick as just swiping to the left on the Google Now Launcher.

xnipx

The battery life on this thing is awesome, but the unfortunate trade-off is that it takes forever to charge. Does anyone else have the problem, or is it just me?
Did a battery life test, went through the entire day from 100% without plugging it in until I was in the red, with pretty heavy usage and setting the brightness between 25% and 60% based on my needs.

Pretty good considering this is about what I got on my 5 when always kept at 25% or below. Did a lot of downloading and installing/deleting of apps, played games, tons of web browsing. What a phenomenal device.

Get an iPad charger.

BFIB

If you are really entrenched in Android, I'd just stick with it. I also made the switch from the M8, and a little over a week in...I regret it.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone itself is amazing. The build is fantastic, camera is top notch (the main reason for me that I made the switch). But there's a lot about Apple that just isn't up to par with what Android brings now, Google Now just being one of them.

As far as apps go, its also a big difference. There's a lot more that Apple Store has that Google Play doesn't, so if apps are your other big thing, then that might be worth checking one out for.

As for me, I'm eligible to JUMP! back to Android in April (on the old T-Mo program), so I'm going to see what the new HTC flagship has to offer.

I constantly go back and forth between the two. I went from Nexus S to iphone 4 to htc one to Nexus 5 to iphone 6. There was an iphone 4S somewhere in between there.

I never got the whole picking sides thing and you'll never know till you try it. Get the iphone 6, if you like it, it will open a whole lot for you. If you don't you can always go back home to Android. I plan on going back to android next year only if a phone releases that doesn't suck (who knows). And then I'll probably go back to iphone sometime later if I get bored :p

hitsugi

Google Search App is kinda 'Now'-ish. It even has notifications, but...it just didn't work the same. It isn't as integrated (obviously), and opening the app and scrolling through the cards is nowhere near as quick as just swiping to the left on the Google Now Launcher.

I see. Here's hoping for some improvements down the road, then. My reunion with iOS begins tonight!

I love my Nexus 5, and had even referred to it as the (aesthetically) perfect phone (after iPhone 4), but in the end the camera just drove me insane. That was really all it took.

Yes it uses a lot. Part of the reason why I think it's that it had not updated to support ios 8

yep same for me, plus the huge font is annoying too. Hopefully more and more apps are updated soon to make use of this glorious 5.5" screen.

When I look at my battery usage Whatsapp always has the highest percentage. I hope they update it soon to improve the battery and to support the new phones.

I never paid attention to WhatsApp usage on my iPhone 5 even with iOS7 or iOS8. So I don't know how much it consumed but it does take away quite a bit.

They recently updated the app with a few features a week before iOS8 release and I'm surprised they didn't optimize it for iOS8 or the new iPhones.

Then again, they are always slow with updates and optimizations, if you look at their history with iPhones or any any other device as a matter of fact.

hitsugi

Welp, despite pre-signing for the delivery.. UPS didn't deliver our phones and we are now completely screwed for a week as we're heading out of town. I cannot believe this.

BFIB

Welp, despite pre-signing for the delivery.. UPS didn't deliver our phones and we are now completely screwed for a week as we're heading out of town. I cannot believe this.
Dang, are they at your local distribution center? If so, you can try and pick them up.

hitsugi

Dang, are they at your local distribution center? If so, you can try and pick them up.

We're going to attempt it, but the timing between that and getting a SIM from T-Mobile is going to be tricky now.. one t-mobile rep is saying we need to bring the phones into the store, but a different employee said we could go pick up sims and handle the rest over the phone.

BFIB

We're going to attempt it, but the timing between that and getting a SIM from T-Mobile is going to be tricky now.. one t-mobile rep is saying we need to bring the phones into the store, but a different employee said we could go pick up sims and handle the rest over the phone.
I had to do mine in store, just a heads up.

jwluther

Why is the Blackboard "Bb" logo at the bottom left corner on my lock screen? It is an app.

My understanding is that it makes app recommendations based on your location. So, if you're on a college campus, you'll get the Blackboard app on the lock screen, and you can just swipe up on that side (like you would for the camera) to be taken right to the Blackboard app.

Edit: link.

frico

Why is the Blackboard "Bb" logo at the bottom left corner on my lock screen? It is an app.

It's either continuity, if that app supports it and you were using the app on an iPad or it's suggesting the app based on your location (there is a setting to turn this on or off). I leave it on and it suggests my gym app every day when I am near the gym.

REV 09

I messed around with the 6 on two occasions now and I absolutely hate the size of this thing. Annoyed that the industry is moving in that direction. The 5/5s is perfectly fine anyways though as long as I can purchase a replacement in the future.

samven582

Anyone else have problems with their iPhone 6s? I already had two replacements and I'm about to have my third one.

1) Bright red stuck pixel near the middle of the screen that you'd see wherever you are
2) Long scratch in the middle of the screen right out of the box
3) At around a third of display brightness one half of the screen doesn't go dimmer. So one half stays at 30% brightness while the rest goes down. Looks flickery when you turn the device on and off, makes it next to unusable in those low brightness situations.

They've been quick with the replacements but it's still annoying as hell, at this point I'd take the red pixel one back

I have gone through 4 myself. QC sucks!

NYR

GOT MY IPHONE 6 PLUS GOLD!

Woot woot, signed up for an SMS service that texts you when the iPhone you want is in stock, and it sent me an e-mail and SMS and I got the phone I was looking for - iPhone 6 Plus Gold 64 GB! Restoring from iCloud now.

Got my Iphone 6 plus too from Sprint ! :3

Sprint Called a while ago

Talked with one of the peeps inside the store and he helped me change my order to a 128gb instead which is awesome ;_; shinnnyyyyyy

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dumb question, do you have to enable 1080p recording on 6 Plus? I recored a video, edited it in iMovie and then uploaded the FB but it wasn't HD. On my 5 it'd upload in HD.

Dominator

After using my Plus for only 4 days, I can't go back to a smaller phone. I held my brothers 5S for a minute and was looking at it in disgust at how tiny it is. It looks smaller than it actually is.

As someone who switched from an iPhone 5 to a OnePlus One then to an iPhone 6 plus in the past 3 months, I can say I prefer iOS. Actually I don't find a ton of difference between Android and iOS 8. Google Now was nice, but actually most of the functionality I've been able to recreate with Notification Center widgets (news storys, sports scores, weather, stocks). Admittedly I've been in the iOS ecosystem since the iPhone 3g launched. I found the biggest things I missed were the apps I used everyday on iOS and how well all of my Apple devices work together.

Casanova

Just got my iPhone 6 in today (128GB Gold), and spent the majority of my work-day setting up and playing around with it.

Stunningly fast and beautiful compared to my iPhone 4 which I was rocking for four years.

Camera quality is seemingly perfect, and the gold is not gawty at all, despite what the pictures and initial thoughts may lead to. It is gorgeous and do not regret the purchase.

I didn't realize there were post lightning connector line out options.
Is it real line out for 5+ models?
Apple's official docks can do true line out off the lightning connector, but they obviously haven't announced a 6 / 6 Plus dock yet. Maybe when the 6S rolls around, which is what they did with the 5, but that's anyone's guess. I've been researching for a couple weeks now and as far as I can tell the Gravitas is the only one that provides fixed-volume line level output off the lightning connector, but there's a catch; I believe what they're doing is a workaround or some sort of custom board for a couple reasons:

• The Gravitas itself is USB, but that's probably more to maintain compatibility with future / past connectors.
  • You can only charge, not sync, when an audio cable is plugged in. I don't believe the Apple dock has that limitation, but I've only ever used a dock at my office; I sync at home. Well, really I sync to iCloud, so this limitation isn't really much of one to me.
    pnWaatb.png

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm getting no where near the same battery you guys are for my iPhone 6+

I get about the same battery life as my iPhone 5s.

I might need to do a complete wipe.

Husker86

I'm getting no where near the same battery you guys are for my iPhone 6+

I get about the same battery life as my iPhone 5s.

I might need to do a complete wipe.
Remember, iOS counts usage even if the screen is off, like with media apps. It's very hard to compare to other people unless you know you use the phone exactly the same way.

But I suppose you should probably be getting noticeably better battery life than with the 5s.

FinKL

For the Google Now issues, I just noticed that they do allow for popup notifications, but it's entrenched in the settings and need location/background usage on. I haven't had anything pop up just yet, but I suppose it may work. I also set the notification to "Alert" as opposed to a "Banner" or "None".

Also thanks to people throwing in some tips on how they achieved their battery life, will be sure to implement them even though coming from Android, I'm so use to having everything on and auto refreshing so I get new updates as I unlock my phone.

Ninja Dom

Dumb question, do you have to enable 1080p recording on 6 Plus? I recored a video, edited it in iMovie and then uploaded the FB but it wasn't HD. On my 5 it'd upload in HD.

No you don't enable it. The iPhone 5S, 6 and 6 Plus can only record 1080p video from the rear camera. They don't record at any other resolution unless it's slow motion video. The only thing you can enable on the 6 or 6 Plus is if they record at 30fps or 60fps.

There must have been something with the upload process between iMovie and Facebook that lowered the res.

Top Bottom