• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Got my iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey yesterday from a Fido kiosk. The girl there told me this was the first one they got in Edmonton since launch. Seems odd.

Regardless, I love it. Spend an entire day with it. Went to use my iPhone 5 and ... wow. Is it small. It feels almost too small. Weird how that happens.

The only thing I don't like so far is that a lot of apps still aren't updated. The zoomed in UI makes it feel like a phone for the elderly.

Pastry

Banned
I really need for my 6+ to ship but I have 2 or 3 more weeks before it's estimated delivery date. My 5 is seriously on the fritz and I'm praying it will last until I get it, the 5 barely charges. If it dies before I get my 6+ I don't know what I'm going to do.

Ashhong

I think I want an iphone, but I'm not sure. I've had this strong dislike for Apple for a long time. Have always been Android and up until last week an Apple product has never been in my house. That was until I bought my wife a MacBook pro.

Now I find myself curious about the I6...even though I have a One M8. Those that have jumped from Android to iOS...How is the transition

I have an M8 as my work phone. I'm no stranger to Android, but damn do I find it complicated. My iPhone feels so much easier to use in comparison. If you do a lot of customization on ur phone you might be disappointed. If all you do is use it as a phone with browsing you will love it.

Corgi

Banned
so that free tempered glass protector from amazon arrived (props to whoever mentioned that promo here).

befggm.jpg

as with other protectors that were designed based off prototypes, the coverage isn't great, and the dimensions give no leeway for errors (as you can see on the left edge i messed up by a hairline). Otherwise the screen protector feels good and works fine. Will use until full coverage ones are released.

got iloome preordered.

Xamdou

Just got the Zagg glass screen protector installed for my Golden 128gb Iphone 6 but wtf it doesn't cover the entire front side of the phone?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Apple's official docks can do true line out off the lightning connector, but they obviously haven't announced a 6 / 6 Plus dock yet. Maybe when the 6S rolls around, which is what they did with the 5, but that's anyone's guess. I've been researching for a couple weeks now and as far as I can tell the Gravitas is the only one that provides fixed-volume line level output off the lightning connector, but there's a catch; I believe what they're doing is a workaround or some sort of custom board for a couple reasons:

• The Gravitas itself is USB, but that's probably more to maintain compatibility with future / past connectors.
  • You can only charge, not sync, when an audio cable is plugged in. I don't believe the Apple dock has that limitation, but I've only ever used a dock at my office; I sync at home. Well, really I sync to iCloud, so this limitation isn't really much of one to me.
    http://i.imgur.com/pnWaatb.png[/MG]
    [/LIST][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of the official docks for some reason.

knitoe

Just got the Zagg glass screen protector installed for my Golden 128gb Iphone 6 but wtf it doesn't cover the entire front side of the phone?
Nope. Currently, the only screen protector that covers the curve edges, edge-edge protection, are wet install ones. The glass and dry protectors are all unbendle flat so they can't stick to curve edges. Thus, at best, they all stop at before the curve edge.

The next set of protectors will offer edge to edge, but they will use a substance to fill the gap where the curve edges are. Thus, making the screen totally flat. But, then, you will run into problems with cases that fit tightly to the curve edge, like upcoming iloome glass with a Apple case.

The best would be a curve edge protector. I don't know if it's feasible and/or worth the cost to produce.

Ashhong

so that free tempered glass protector from amazon arrived (props to whoever mentioned that promo here).

befggm.jpg

as with other protectors that were designed based off prototypes, the coverage isn't great, and the dimensions give no leeway for errors (as you can see on the left edge i messed up by a hairline). Otherwise the screen protector feels good and works fine. Will use until full coverage ones are released.

got iloome preordered.

what promo was this?!

Number45

No you don't enable it. The iPhone 5S, 6 and 6 Plus can only record 1080p video from the rear camera. They don't record at any other resolution unless it's slow motion video. The only thing you can enable on the 6 or 6 Plus is if they record at 30fps or 60fps.

There must have been something with the upload process between iMovie and Facebook that lowered the res.
I'm sure I've seen it mentioned that you need to enable 1080p uploads in the Facebook app.

I have gone through 4 myself. QC sucks!

Just got my iPhone 6. Dead pixel in the middle of the screen. Fuck.

I took one back with a broken volume up key (which also had a stuck green pixel) and got one back with dead pixel.

Wouldn't be surprised if they toned down QA to keep up with the demand. My latest replacement definitely wasn't checked at all as its defect is extremely obvious.
And that was a completely new sealed iPhone, not just one in a replacement box

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
First afternoon with my new 6+... actually I have homework today, so I haven't had THAT much time with it.

Damned if I didn't have the "WOW this thing might be too big, what have I done" moment. And I played with a demo unit before... And I was quite bullish on getting the big model, sanity be damned. But it was discovering that I could barely type with one hand that had me worried for a moment.

But after a few hours? I made the right choice. You get used to the big size, you learn to reach with your thumb a bit, you learn to occasionally employ the other hand where you didn't before.... but that screen, that sweet sweet big screen, makes it all worth it. I am so happy I have this thing :D

MercuryLS

Banned
Be careful if you're going caseless. My 6 that I had for 10 days had a tiny scuff between the antenna strap on the bottom right side of the back. I assume that the protruding camera caused the thing to put additional force on that corner on a flat surface, and ultimately caused the scuff.

Family Sharing is amazing. Now I can play Pumped 2 on my girlfriends 6+ without rebuying it. Good stuff, that game really benefits from more real estate.

Matt Frost

I wonder if I'll be the last person on GAF to get their phone... :(

Anyone else still waiting?

Me... It went from October 1st to... Dont know... :( Its the price of living on a remote part of the world, no iPhone 6 has arrived here yet. At least mine will be among the first... when it does... in a week? :/

I am having a problem charging my iPhone 6. The power cable keeps falling out. I have to really push it into the phone or the slightest breeze will cause it to fall out. Two times since in the weeks since I have owned the phone I think the phone is charging when I go to bed, but when I wake up it is not charging. I have tried other cables like my iPhone 5's or iPad, but those cables fall out as well. It is so annoying. I think I am going to have to exchange it, but I am guessing it is going to be awhile before stores have enough stock. :-(

I am having a problem charging my iPhone 6. The power cable keeps falling out. I have to really push it into the phone or the slightest breeze will cause it to fall out. Two times since in the weeks since I have owned the phone I think the phone is charging when I go to bed, but when I wake up it is not charging. I have tried other cables like my iPhone 5's or iPad, but those cables fall out as well. It is so annoying. I think I am going to have to exchange it, but I am guessing it is going to be awhile before stores have enough stock. :-(

Apple stores have separate replacement stock.

Xamdou

none do that are out sadly.

zagg ones are a fucking rip off too.

The Zagg glass screen protector is so much better run the shitty one sold in the Apple Store. The Zagg is so clear it seems like it's not even there, feels so smooth that my fingers glide across the screen, and has multiple layers of protection that I can feel at ease not to worry about damaging the screen. In terms of screen quality it's like night a day!

Again my only grip is that all the current screen protectors doesn't cover the front side of the phone...

Yes, my ship date from Verizon for my 6+ is November 7th. I was with ATT and my contract with them ended September 21st so that's when I went in and preordered from Verizon.

Hopefully I'll get better cell reception with Verizon at work than I do with ATT.

guys, I'm looking for someone who could register my iPhone's UDID to update to 8.1 beta, my iPhone is disconnecting frequently from known wifi hotspots, the workaround is to restart the phone which is a pain in the ass.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Me... It went from October 1st to... Dont know... :( Its the price of living on a remote part of the world, no iPhone 6 has arrived here yet. At least mine will be among the first... when it does... in a week? :/
Mine's delivering on the 9th according to Apple. I'm in a second wave country though.

Husker86

guys, I'm looking for someone who could register my iPhone's UDID to update to 8.1 beta, my iPhone is disconnecting frequently from known wifi hotspots, the workaround is to restart the phone which is a pain in the ass.

I can, PM me the UDID.

You can get the .ipsw? I'm at work so I don't really want to download it and host it somewhere.

hope32

I think I want an iphone, but I'm not sure. I've had this strong dislike for Apple for a long time. Have always been Android and up until last week an Apple product has never been in my house. That was until I bought my wife a MacBook pro.

Now I find myself curious about the I6...even though I have a One M8. Those that have jumped from Android to iOS...How is the transition

I just made the jump to iOS from Andriod with a 6+, but I also had an iPad so i was already familiar with iOS. There are some things that are annoying, such as no back button, feel a little trapped compared to the openness of Android, i still try to long press things to get to a menu/option, etc; but you get used to it and the OS is smooth and the App Store is great.

What's everybody's battery life look like on the regular iPhone 6? I wouldn't know if it's an improvement from the 5s since this is my first iPhone but I'm interested in knowing some of the times other people are getting in comparison to mine.

btkadams

Ohhhhhhh my gaaaaaaaaaa my 6 plus finally shipped

I can't wait to bend it and cook meals with its radiation. Most portable microwave of all time.

What's everybody's battery life look like on the regular iPhone 6? I wouldn't know if it's an improvement from the 5s since this is my first iPhone but I'm interesting in knowing some of the times other people are getting in comparison to mine.

Don't have a picture, but after around 13-14 hours of on and off use I usually still have around 30% of battery life left.

Number45

The Zagg glass screen protector is so much better run the shitty one sold in the Apple Store. The Zagg is so clear it seems like it's not even there, feels so smooth that my fingers glide across the screen, and has multiple layers of protection that I can feel at ease not to worry about damaging the screen. In terms of screen quality it's like night a day!

Again my only grip is that all the current screen protectors doesn't cover the front side of the phone...
Does the Zagg one not cover it properly?

Anyone have the Poetic Atmosphere case for the 6+?

I have the official Leather Case in black but I want something that shows off the phone a bit more.

Protection wise does it feel like a quality case?

I know it's not built for heavy protection but the Apple Case isn't either.

How slippery does it feel?

I had one for my HTC One and loved it.

the back is as smooth as the iPhone back and clear, the grip is very good. the phone feels safe in there, the only negative is the buttons need a bit more firm push

ZeroX03

Banned

Yes, my ship date from Verizon for my 6+ is November 7th. I was with ATT and my contract with them ended September 21st so that's when I went in and preordered from Verizon.

Solidarity, brothers and sisters.

IronRinn

Hopefully I'll get better cell reception with Verizon at work than I do with ATT.

Solidarity, brothers and sisters.

I would like to join this support group as well. Do you have any literature I could read?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No you don't enable it. The iPhone 5S, 6 and 6 Plus can only record 1080p video from the rear camera. They don't record at any other resolution unless it's slow motion video. The only thing you can enable on the 6 or 6 Plus is if they record at 30fps or 60fps.

There must have been something with the upload process between iMovie and Facebook that lowered the res.

Weird. On my 5 whenever I uploaded to Facebook it'd give me the HD toggle when watching on Facebook. This time it did not and was clearly lower res. Hmm.

Ninja Dom

What's everybody's battery life look like on the regular iPhone 6? I wouldn't know if it's an improvement from the 5s since this is my first iPhone but I'm interested in knowing some of the times other people are getting in comparison to mine.

Definite improvement. You'll see a bit of an improvement with processor intensive stuff as the 6 is more powerful than the 5S. This is my usage so far today. It includes about 20 mins of voice calls and one 35 minute FaceTime video call over 4G/LTE.

I can notice that the 6 gets nowhere near as hot as the 5S when using it for FaceTime video calls over 4G. I'm guessing that this is pretty processor intensive.

501E1494-902D-4C68-A45E-A7B2E9B7A142_zpsvna0newv.png

Husker86

I don't find the iOS usage numbers all too helpful without screen on time, but I would call it a "day-to-next-afternoon" battery under normal usage. It's not amazing next to other smartphones, but the iOS standby helps it last an extra overnight.

I saw this earlier and found it a bit misleading and simplistic (that's not a knock on you, just the article(s)) - the supply chain is constantly fluctuating and with the 6 Plus in short supply but with higher than expected demand, it stands to reason that production will be ramped up. That's not to say it will actually account for 60% come the end of the phone's lifespan (it almost certainly won't).

I do wonder which sources are correct, too - I recall another rumour pegging production at 400,000 6s vs 105,000 6 Pluses per day a few weeks ago. Having said that, I think it was said that a far higher percentage of the larger phones don't make it out of the factory (due to faults with the screen) so perhaps that plays a part too. That would explain parts orders being level around the time of launch - that doesn't mean available units were at 50-50, because they clearly weren't.

It's also playing catch-up by a massive amount. In terms of activations, there's about a 5-1 advantage for the 6.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Ordered mine on the 23rd...preparing to ship with an estimated delivery of October 31st - November 11th...fuck you supply and demand =(

Top Bottom