• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Squalor

So is there anything different about this "ion strengthened glass" or is it the same gorilla glass used on the previous iPhones?

I wanted to be done with screen protectors :-(
It's probably slightly stronger. Mostly, though, it's just marketing semantics.

At the end of the day, it's not sapphire crystal, and that's a shame.

Here's to you, iPhone 7.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So is there anything different about this "ion strengthened glass" or is it the same gorilla glass used on the previous iPhones?

I wanted to be done with screen protectors :-(

Marketing bollocks. It's going to smash if you drop it just like every phone.

Squalor

So I just saw that Verizon is offering the iPhone 6 for "free" if you trade in your old phone and sign a 2 year contract. I have a 4S and I would love to do this, but what if I already have an existing contract? How is that going to work would I just extend it by two years?

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/09/technology/mobile/verizon-iphone-6/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
They'll stack your contract.

If you have six months left at the time of agreement, you'll have a 30-month contract afterward.

Ya no

They'll stack your contract.

If you have six months left at the time of agreement, you'll have a 30-month contract afterward.

Would my monthly bill go up? It sounds like a no, but I want to make sure. I'm probably going to take advantage of this, it seems like a good idea I think, right?

Squalor

Would my monthly bill go up? It sounds like a no, but I want to make sure. I'm probably going to take advantage of this, it seems like a good idea I think, right?
As long as you're not changing your plan, your bill shouldn't change.

When you're at the store, just make sure you keep your plan how you want it.

It might seem silly, but ask as many questions as possible. That's what they're there for. Most people aren't going to try to deceive you, but it happens, so just be careful.

Essentially, what you're doing is taking the plan you have and the contract you have and extending the contract. How much you pay has no reason to change. It's the same thing Verizon did last year.

Guess Who

Banned

Minsc

Gold Member
1GB RAM ಠ_ಠ
The last batch of iOS devices were already booting apps and tabs out of memory too quickly.

I don't use internet browsers on my phone, but I can fast-app switch between the most recent 14 apps without need to reload an app (2 of those being games). Granted they're not all memory hogs, but it's still pretty decent.

That said, bring on 64GB of RAM (to go with 64GB of storage). I'd pay a premium to fast app switch between every app on my phone if it were an option.

Guess Who

Banned
You don't have to be contractually eligible for an upgrade to take advantage of the deal.

Very tempting then. I have a 5 and my upgrade would normally be next May, which puts it awkwardly between the 6 and 6S, so if I can get a 6 now I'd be all over that.

Really want/need the 64GB option though, so I'll have to check with Verizon if I can pay the $100 to get that.

Squalor

Very tempting then. I have a 5 and my upgrade would normally be next May, which puts it awkwardly between the 6 and 6S, so if I can get a 6 now I'd be all over that.

Really want/need the 64GB option though, so I'll have to check with Verizon if I can pay the $100 to get that.
I don't know about that, but, essentially, what they're doing is giving you a $200 gift card for trading in your old phone.

I don't really see why you shouldn't be able to just give them $100 in cash on top of that to upgrade to the 64 GB model, but carriers can be funny.

So... did anyone found a case for their future phone? There's a lot of basic stuff available, but I prefer my case to be a bit more personal...

Do anyone had a Society6 case for their 5C/5S? The quality is supposed to be better than before now.

Ya no

As long as you're not changing your plan, your bill shouldn't change.

When you're at the store, just make sure you keep your plan how you want it.

It might seem silly, but ask as many questions as possible. That's what they're there for. Most people aren't going to try to deceive you, but it happens, so just be careful.

Essentially, what you're doing is taking the plan you have and the contract you have and extending the contract. How much you pay has no reason to change. It's the same thing Verizon did last year.

Awesome, thanks. I'll swing by verizon before and ask them about it. Do they take phones with cracked backs..? Or should I see if I can replace it before trying to trade it in. My phones been through hell but still works good as ever, just a cracked back right now.

any sprint users here..who have the family plan thing? my folks and i are planning to upgrade since we are all eligible for upgrades and i'm planning to get the 6+ 125gb one..and the others the smaller iphone6 for my other peeps

anyone now what the price would be? ;_;

Squalor

Awesome, thanks. I'll swing by verizon before and ask them about it. Do they take phones with cracked backs..? Or should I see if I can replace it before trying to trade it in. My phones been through hell but still works good as ever, just a cracked back right now.
I am not sure about the cracked back part.

The people I know who took advantage of this last year had phones that had no damage at all. All of Verizon's literature on it simply states it has to be a "working, eligible phone."

Your phone obviously works, but they could easily tell you "no" in the moment. You should definitely find out beforehand.

Dominator

Going to the store to hold the Note in my hands to see if I can handle the Plus. Hopefully its a good fit for me because then I'm definitely going for that.

zigg

It's harder than Gorilla Glass, stronger than steel, and completely transparent.
Stronger and more scratch-resistant, yes, but I'd also read that it's more brittle and thus prone to breakage.

The results of uBreakiFix's tests show that sapphire is significantly more scratch resistant and 25 percent stronger than Gorilla Glass, but it is much more susceptible to impacts due to its brittleness. The glass is so brittle that it shattered the first time it was dropped face down from a height of only three feet.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/29/sapphire-gorilla-glass/

Eiolon

I'd prefer to have the Plus model, but I am not sure how well dual-core and 1GB RAM is going to be with 1080p resolution. Sure, there is no doubt iOS and Apple developed apps will be optimized and smooth running. But my brother constantly complains about high-end games running on his Galaxy S4, which is quad-core and 2GB of RAM on 1080p.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You guys think the 6+ will perform worse than the 6 just simply cause it's using the same A8/M8 and pushing way more pixels?

I can't imagine games running equally on these things if they try and run native 1080p on the 6+.

RC

Banned
If my 4 wasn't lagging so much, I'd consider waiting another year till I upgrade.

Maybe once the specs are released I'll feel better about my impeding purchase, or worse.

HUELEN10

You guys think the 6+ will perform worse than the 6 just simply cause it's using the same A8/M8 and pushing way more pixels?

I can't imagine games running equally on these things if they try and run native 1080p on the 6+.
Perform worse and look worse; 6 Plus has a more dense, higher res, yet crappier screen contrast-wise.

Cse

Banned
How are apps going to scale across 3 different resolutions?

What's going to happen when people decide to install San Andreas on their iPhone 6+ next week? Will they be playing the game in true 1080p?

Guess Who

Banned
I'd prefer to have the Plus model, but I am not sure how well dual-core and 1GB RAM is going to be with 1080p resolution. Sure, there is no doubt iOS and Apple developed apps will be optimized and smooth running. But my brother constantly complains about high-end games running on his Galaxy S4, which is quad-core and 2GB of RAM on 1080p.

Quad-core means nothing unless the games are heavily multithreaded to take advantage of it. If the leaked Geekbench scores are any indication, the iPhone 6 will get competitive multicore performance with quad-core phones despite half the cores. The only phone in Geekbench's Android benchmark category with comparable scores to the iPhone 6 is the 2014 Moto X - the iPhone 6 beats the S5, G3, etc.

And they've always had a best-in-class GPU to match as well, so.

Squalor

How are apps going to scale across 3 different resolutions?

What's going to happen when people decide to install San Andreas on their iPhone 6+ next week? Will they be playing the game in true 1080p?
Apps that aren't optimized for the newer screens will upscale natively on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. No, it won't be true 1080p.

I'm actually without a phone right now (broke it 3 weeks ago). So I desperately want to get an iPhone 6. Usually I can wait for upgrades and I have patience. But this is the first launch where I'm anxious, as I actually need one. So I appreciate everyone on here being very helpful and giving those of us that are new to launch some insight/tips.

I would have never have known to use the app. So I'm really grateful to you guys.

Happy to help, I've been pre-ordering iPhones every year ever since the iPhone 4. First, pre-orders start at 12 AM PST, so jot that down and find out what time that is on your time zone and be ready. I used to wake up 30 mins before they start the pre-orders but over the years 10-15 Mins is enough. Have three tabs open, one is for the Apple.com website, the second is for your carrier, and the third one is for forums where you can follow other apple fans trying to pre-order the iPhone too (I follow MacRumors). The last one is very important because it can help you troubleshoot issues you might run in to.

Second, make sure ALL your info is updated on both your Apple ID account and your carrier account. This will make checking out a much faster and smoother process. It is critically important that you use the same ADDRESS for both your Apple ID and your carrier billing address. It needs to MATCH! This is so important! It happens every year, I've read about people pre-ordering their phones and using their work address for the delivery (but their home address is on the bill) because they're going to be at work. Then they find out the hard way that Apple has decided to cancel their order completely and they have to start from scratch. If you really want to deliver the device to your work place, change the address on your carrier's billing (and possibly your bank too). Your carrier may be flexible on this rule, but on the Apple website, it's a risk.

Third, practice doing a check out on either sites so you know the basic steps. Know ahead of time what information you'll need to type to speed things up. If you're using the Apple.com website to order and you're using your carrier upgrade, you need to be aware of the "Checking with your carrier" page. This is the page most people have trouble with. After you put in all your carrier info, Apple will check with your carrier if you're eligible for an upgrade. This page will tell you what it's doing and you'll see the Safari loading wheel. If this page hangs for more than 5 minutes, close it and start all over. It shouldn't take more than a minute to check if you're eligible, so if it hangs, just close it and start all over. If this happens too much, it's time to go through your carrier instead.

Finally, after you checked out and paid your order and you get the "Order Complete" page. Don't celebrate just yet. Check the e-mail that you used when you ordered the phone and MAKE SURE you get that Order Complete e-mail from Apple or your carrier. Over the years I've heard of people thinking their order went through, but never received the e-mail. Or, it's common to hear that they went through all the steps, but when they clicked on "Checkout", the page went blank and didn't load anything ever again. Or they get the infamous "We're busy, we'll be back" page from Apple after they check out. It happens and as long as you get the e-mail with your order confirmation, it went through and you can go back to sleep.

Applecare, it's optional. If you're planning on adding it to your order, do it right then and there before you check out. Otherwise you'll have to wait till you get your phone and then visit an Apple Store within 30 days of activation to get it. Do it right then and there. You can call Apple and have them add it to your order, but you run the issue of getting put at the end of the pre-order line when a rep does that. I've read over the times of people getting on the backordered list because they did this. Or worse, an inexperienced rep will cancel your first order and then just make you a new one with Applecare included. In that situation, you're at the back of the line.

I'm a bit anxious myself this year because I'm planning to get the unlocked version this time. So, I'm not going to run through the whole activation part of ordering, but Apple has NEVER offered unlocked version for pre-orders. This is new to me, and I know the T-Mobile version is available on the site right now, but who knows how that will function. I may even have to go through my carrier and get it that way. I'm sure I'll be here on NeoGaf this time to see how you guys do this coming Friday. :D

RoKKeR

I think I'll be jumping back on the train from an HTC One M7 to the 4.7" 6. Pretty disappointed about the screen resolution and will probably take me a while not to notice the downgrade, but iOS, Apple design/camera and ecosystem are beckoning me back.

They can fuck off with that watch though.

Is the 6 only missing OIS from the 6+?

Cse

Banned
So, developers still need to write their apps for 3 separate resolutions?

I recall Apple mentioning something about iOS 8 that would allow apps to naturally scale across the various resolutions. If this is the case, would would be the advantage of developers taking the time to specifically rewrite their apps for those separate resolutions?

wihio

Had a chat with Verizon. They tell me they will offer a $200 credit toward account for any eligible iphone (4 and up), and no need to be through with the contract. If you preorder, you will pay $$ up front, and will receive the credit after you receive the new phone and turn in the old. They confirmed that you CAN use the credit toward a 64gb model. As an verizon iphone 4 user, this is a no-brainer.

Guess Who

Banned
Had a chat with Verizon. They tell me they will offer a $200 credit toward account for any eligible iphone (4 and up), and no need to be through with the contract. If you preorder, you will pay $$ up front, and will receive the credit after you receive the new phone and turn in the old. They confirmed that you CAN use the credit toward a 64gb model. As an verizon iphone 4 user, this is a no-brainer.

Welp, bye-bye, my 5, you've served me well.

GWX

My eye is twitching a bit. I hadn't realized how bad it was until now.

I mean why call it retina HD even? All they did was keep the same density but increase the screen size.

The actual screen quality is better now, with better contrast ratio, even greater viewing angles, etc. It's the same pixel density (which in my opinion, still looks great), but the screen is not the same, which kind of justifies the new Retina HD name or whatever. Just a marketing spin, really, to salient the improved screen to the average user.

edit:
I think I'll be jumping back on the train from an HTC One M7 to the 4.7" 6. Pretty disappointed about the screen resolution and will probably take me a while not to notice the downgrade, but iOS, Apple design/camera and ecosystem are beckoning me back.

They can fuck off with that watch though.

Is the 6 only missing OIS from the 6+?

OIS, PPI and the new landscape funcionality.

Squalor

So, developers still need to write their apps for 3 separate resolutions?

I recall Apple mentioning something about iOS 8 that would allow apps to naturally scale across the various resolutions. If this is the case, would would be the advantage of developers taking the time to specifically rewrite their apps for those separate resolutions?
The iPhone 6 will upscale the apps.
My eye is twitching a bit. I hadn't realized how bad it was until now.

I mean why call it retina HD even? All they did was keep the same density but increase the screen size.
Go read hands-on previews. Everyone says the screens (both) look beautiful.

The iPhone 6 will upscale the apps.

Go read hands-on previews. Everyone says the screens (both) look beautiful.

I really disliked my last experience with an iPhone 5C screen. It looked really low res compared to what I'm used too, do you guys think it will look significantly better compared to that?

Top Bottom