• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

jstripes

Banned
It's funny because the policy is that employees have to big up every single phone. No matter what the customer gets even if it is a legit questionable phone (like any blackberry), you're still supposed to make them feel good about it and say things like yeah that's a great phone, hope you enjoy it, etc...

That agent sounds like a complete idiot.

Well, fanboys have like a "religious duty" to put people on the right path.

It's like the guy in my neighbourhood who follows people and wants to "talk about Jesus".

I kind of like the cut of his jib.

Ok, so: Customer goes from wanting to buy something to hanging up in disgust. That's your ideal employee?

billeh

I called Rogers today to order an iPhone 6, and ended up with some condescending android fanboy trying everything in his power to convince me to buy a "much more capable" Galaxy S5 instead, even though I told him I know all about phones and did all my research. He even flat-out told me I'm "wrong" about certain things I preferred about the iPhone. ("The camera hasn't been upgraded in four generations.") When I got fed-up with it and asked him if he'd ever heard of "the customer is always right", he told me it's "an outdated term", and continued his hard sell on the S5.

I ended up hanging up on him and calling back to talk to a much more sensible representative who didn't even question what I wanted.

Holy shit, though. It was like talking to someone from the internet. That guy needs to get disciplined.
Way back when I went to Verizon to get my Galaxy Nexus activated the whole store was giving me shit about buying a 'garbage' and 'outdated' phone. Most of the salespeople there have no actual clue what they're talking about outside of their bullshit training materials.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ok, so: Customer goes from wanting to buy something to hanging up in disgust. That's your ideal employee?
"The customer is always right" IS an outdated term though. To the contrary, the customer is usually completely wrong and thinks they're right and you're wrong and won't stop until you prove them right by giving them what they don't necessarily deserve. More businesses should drop that stupid policy because it just causes a lot of problems and invites terrible customers back just to cause trouble again. It was created back in the days when people weren't complete assholes just to be complete assholes. Nowadays they use it as an excuse to get what they want. Not to drag this off topic, but today a customer came in demanding we sell them something on sale that wasn't on sale, dragged my coworker all the way outside to look at a sale sign and prove he was right only to find out he was 100% wrong and doesn't know how to read a damn sale sign. A lot of customers these days are a lot more entitled and demanding. Thanks partially to that stupid mantra.

The iPad is still a lot larger though. Infinitely more pleasant to look at than even a 5.5" screen. Especially when propped up. Not saying the plus is a bad choice, just that you shouldn't get rid of your iPad.
I only use my iPad for videos these days. I'd like a Plus because of that reason. I don't need a whole iPad just for videos. I like to prop my phone in front of my laptop screen occasionally and watch videos on it. If I'm going to browse the internet, I'll use my laptop these days. If I'm out and about I use my phone since I can't take my iPad with me.

Apath

I gave my iPad mini to my mom and use my Plus as a replacement. Actually works pretty well; the only thing I miss is a cover that can prop the device up.

Maitiú

"The customer is always right" IS an outdated term though. To the contrary, the customer is usually completely wrong and thinks they're right and you're wrong and won't stop until you prove them right by giving them what they don't necessarily deserve. More businesses should drop that stupid policy because it just causes a lot of problems and invites terrible customers back just to cause trouble again. It was created back in the days when people weren't complete assholes just to be complete assholes. Nowadays they use it as an excuse to get what they want. Not to drag this off topic, but today a customer came in demanding we sell them something on sale that wasn't on sale, dragged my coworker all the way outside to look at a sale sign and prove he was right only to find out he was 100% wrong and doesn't know how to read a damn sale sign. A lot of customers these days are a lot more entitled and demanding. Thanks partially to that stupid mantra.

I think you're confusing the issue. Correct, businesses shouldn't be obligated to bend over for customer abuse. But if a customer has a product preference, good customer service wouldn't drive away their business. A bad experience is shared with about 10 friends on average (pre-social-media-world average, it may be higher now, like the experience we're riffing from). You want to avoid the bad experiences.

I got my Candyshell Grip case at Best Buy today

8259092_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

but I think I want a case to protect the screen when I need to throw my phone in a bag. I actually have an old DS case that seems to fit it perfectly, but it's not a long term solution because it's needlessly bulky.
How is this case compared to the apple silicone one?

I called Rogers today to order an iPhone 6, and ended up with some condescending android fanboy trying everything in his power to convince me to buy a "much more capable" Galaxy S5 instead, even though I told him I know all about phones and did all my research. He even flat-out told me I'm "wrong" about certain things I preferred about the iPhone. ("The camera hasn't been upgraded in four generations.") When I got fed-up with it and asked him if he'd ever heard of "the customer is always right", he told me it's "an outdated term", and continued his hard sell on the S5.

I ended up hanging up on him and calling back to talk to a much more sensible representative who didn't even question what I wanted.

Holy shit, though. It was like talking to someone from the internet. That guy needs to get disciplined.

Should have asked for his name and given it when you called back. He'd get chewed out at least.

Majine

Banned
I was thinking, now that they moved the sleep-wake switch to the side and previously moved the headphone jack to the bottom, they could've used the free space on the top for speakers, so we could have stereo sound in landscape mode. I'm kinda envious of HTC One in that aspect.

dorn.

He was probably ordered to push the S5 from higher up, Samsung is known for paying out huge commissions(as opposed to Apple, which pays zilch). Wouldn't surprise me if they upped those even more in reaction to the iPhone 6.

nib95

Banned
Anyone else think the iPhone 6 is one of the most slippery to handle phones ever designed? Without a case, this thing is begging to be dropped.

dmr87

Anyone else think the iPhone 6 is one of the most slippery to handle phones ever designed? Without a case, this thing is begging to be dropped.

Never used a case before but I got a simple one now because of slippery round edges and because of the camera sticking out, don't want to put pressure on it every time I lay the phone on a table.

GuessWho

Fyi, i doubt he's a fanboy. More then likely trying to push a phone that the company told him to push. that's the business nowadays. They get commission of they can sell a particular phone.

Dany

Banned
It got really cold yesterday that it was hard to grip my phone without feeling that Id might drop it. It needs some actual corners

jstripes

Banned
Should have asked for his name and given it when you called back. He'd get chewed out at least.

I didn't get his name, but I asked the next guy to make a note of it. They keep exhaustive records of who handles what.

He was probably ordered to push the S5 from higher up, Samsung is known for paying out huge commissions(as opposed to Apple, which pays zilch). Wouldn't surprise me if they upped those even more in reaction to the iPhone 6.

That was my theory, but the next guy was like "Nah, if we did that why would we advertise the iPhone so much?"

I think they are all slippery until you use a case, aluminum is like that.

On my iPad I use a 3m coating used for car hoodfronts, it works fantastic and gives great grip with almost zero weight and size addition.

Seriously, is it just me or is the twitter app for iPhone a massive battery hog? What are some alternatives that use your battery more sparingly. I've heard good things about Tweetbot but free alternatives would be better.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My 6 is due tomorrow, can't wait.

Had an 'exception' event happen two days ago in Shanghai, I guess someone took the shipment in the wrong direction on a joyride for a bit before getting back on track.

UPS does a lot of stops.. Shanghai, CN > Incheon, KR > Almaty, KZ > Koeln, DE (where it is currently).

Seriously, is it just me or is the twitter app for iPhone a massive battery hog? What are some alternatives that use your battery more sparingly. I've heard good things about Tweetbot but free alternatives would be better.

Tweetbot has gotten most of the praise, but I swear by Twitterrific. The UI is gorgeous and gives me all the functionality I need. $4.99 I believe, but totally worth it.

Here's a link if you'd like to give it a shot.

Corgi

Banned
Saw someone at the Apple Store with smashed screen and had a case with a lip. Must have had some crazy Hail Mary drop. Sucks!

HUELEN10

So, the least amount of battery life I have gotten is over 10 hours (and still going)!

Why do people say the 6 doesn't have enough battery again?

Addnan

So, the least amount of battery life I have gotten is over 10 hours (and still going)!

Why do people say the 6 doesn't have enough battery again?

Because they use the phone differently to you! It's not so much that the battery in the 6 is bad it's that it doesn't compare to the plus and isn't exactly a jump over the 5S.

Because they use the phone differently to you! It's not so much that the battery in the 6 is bad it's that it doesn't compare to the plus and isn't exactly a jump over the 5S.

Pretty much.

It is completely YMMV because it depends on the apps you use and how well they are optimized for the iOS 8 and the new phones.

For example, WhatsApp sucks up battery, regardless of the device and I have an iPhone 6 Plus and trust me it doesn't even last a day when I go heavy on it.

Number45

Does Twitterific have an app for iPhone, iPad and Mac with sync between them, and updated regularly across all platforms? Might be time to give it a whirl, I don't see the Tweetbot Mac app getting a new version any time soon.

Mr Swine

Banned
Having my 6 plus for a week I absolutely love it! But at the same time I hate it that Apple went with a standard resolution instead of doing what they did with the previous iPhones. Some of my apps (Badoo mainly) is locking up or crashing which makes it totally worthless to use and some other apps are harder to use since everything isn't pixel perfect anymore.

I really hope that developers hurry up and make all the apps work flawless with the new standard resolution of the 6 plus

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Apparently I can buy the phone outright from Best Buy according to their employee I talked to yesterday.
Oh but I guess it would be locked? Forgot to ask. It'll be a while anyway.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Finally got my shipping notice for my Space Grey 6+. FUCK YEAH. Should be here on Thursday.

Master Race here we come. Now I'm thinking about which color Apple Leather case I'm going to get.

oatmeal

Banned
My upgrade ain't until February...apparently Verizon changed their 20 month policy to the full 24 unless you have the Edge program, or whatever it is.

My upgrade is in February too. I know I'll get either iPhone 6 then.

I want to ask owners about the camera on these phones. How are you all getting along with it? At the moment my point and shoot needs are taken with either a Galaxy S3 mini or a 5th Gen iPod touch, neither are exceptional.

ZeroX03

Banned

I want to ask owners about the camera on these phones. How are you all getting along with it? At the moment my point and shoot needs are taken with either a Galaxy S3 mini or a 5th Gen iPod touch, neither are exceptional.

I'm on a 5S, but it should be a good but not overwhelming upgrade and the camera should perform better and faster than both those devices.

You know what's fun? try using only the predictive text boxes and write a text trying to get your point across. My brother thinks Im drunk right now

Talon

Week 3 of being moderately inconvenienced by not having my iPhone 6 shipped yet.

The biggest thing I've noticed with in-store units is how fucking ridiculously fast the autofocus is.

Lanbeast

Finally got my shipping notice for my Space Grey 6+. FUCK YEAH. Should be here on Thursday.

Master Race here we come. Now I'm thinking about which color Apple Leather case I'm going to get.

When did you order? I only ordered about a week ago but I'm still sitting at the 3-4 weeks status a lot of people had.
LLShC.gif

Top Bottom