• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Loving this battery
byEwLxK.png

I'm on a 5S, but it should be a good but not overwhelming upgrade and the camera should perform better and faster than both those devices.

Week 3 of being moderately inconvenienced by not having my iPhone 6 shipped yet.

The biggest thing I've noticed with in-store units is how fucking ridiculously fast the autofocus is.
Thanks guys.

I've been pretty impressed by the 240fps video captures I've seen too.

It'll be a long wait.

Number45

Does anyone have experience with the Zagg screen protectors? Putting aside whether you think they're necessary or not is there a reason to go for the glass version? They're quite pricey so would be interested to hear if someone has experience with the different versions.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They're really dragging their feet on these 6 and 6+ resolution app upgrades, aren't they? I imagine the bottleneck is Apple... it can't be that hard for some of these apps (especially the video ones) to output at 1080p.

Really want a YouTube app that outputs at 1080p. If anyone knows of one, let us know here! Thanks.

Garou

They're really dragging their feet on these 6 and 6+ resolution app upgrades, aren't they? I imagine the bottleneck is Apple... it can't be that hard for some of these apps (especially the video ones) to output at 1080p.

Really want a YouTube app that outputs at 1080p. If anyone knows of one, let us know here! Thanks.

Open YouTube in Safari?

BocoDragon

Open YouTube in Safari?

Yes, that does the trick for now ;)

Nothing like having an app that caches your favorite YT videos on your device, though.... So far none of them do 1080p correctly. Plus I just prefer the solidity of native apps to web apps.

BocoDragon

Your welcome.

For those not in the know, YouPlayer is hands-down the best YouTube client on iOS.
Thanks Huelen! Is it really better than MxPlayer (aside from the 6/6+ lack of resolution update)? About a year ago I heard about both YouPlayer and MxPlayer and went with MxPlayer...

HUELEN10

Thanks Huelen! Is it really better than MxPlayer (aside from the 6/6+ lack of resolution update)? About a year ago I heard about both YouPlayer and MxPlayer and went with MxPlayer...
Yep, I noticed :p

YouPlayer is still superior because of its separate wifi/cellular resolution options, the ability to kick to Safari if need be, a bookmarklet, and because it treats vids like a PC, every vid plays. Its current incarnation is also slim on storage space needs, and the latest version have iCloud syncing across all devices.
2-1/2 star reviews on the app store. :S
Current version is bugged on iOS 8, but they have acknowledged it and are fixing it.

BocoDragon

Yep, I noticed :p

YouPlayer is still superior because of its separate wifi/cellular resolution options, the ability to kick to Safari if need be, a bookmarklet, and because it treats vids like a PC, every vid plays. Its current incarnation is also slim on storage space needs, and the latest version have iCloud syncing across all devices.

I think I was so stunned that you were un-banned that I missed the app recommendation completely! haha ;)

Well, you sold me. I'll switch over.

HUELEN10

I think I was so stunned that you were un-banned that I missed the app recommendation completely! haha ;)

Well, you sold me. I'll switch over.
Well me too honestly; It was 4 years man, 4 god-damned years! :O Don't switch yet though, wait until they release the fixed build!

BocoDragon

Well me too honestly; It was 4 years man, 4 god-damned years! :O

Did you know it was 4 years when you were banned back in 2010? Or did you just get a reprieve from exile one day?

Don't switch yet though, wait until they release the fixed build!

Can't be worse than the other apps which are not optimized for iOS8/6/6+. I need to start caching my favorite vids ;)

Qvoth

cousin of mine got the 6, damn this thing really is thin
am not surprised to hear about the bends and shit

he bought it for 1500, not sure SGD or USD
you just have to respect steve jobs, only he can create such a craze

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just a heads-up to anyone using the official VLC for iOS app.

Since it was taken off the store at iOS 8 launch, it is also no longer available in your purchase history nor will it be re-downloaded via an iCloud backup. Your only option is if you had it stored locally in iTunes to copy it back over from there on your new device.

Minsc

Gold Member

Since it was taken off the store at iOS 8 launch, it is also no longer available in your purchase history nor will it be re-downloaded via an iCloud backup. Your only option is if you had it stored locally in iTunes to copy it back over from there on your new device.

This sort of behavior really doesn't sit too well with me. Apps should never be removed from your purchase history, unless they're viruses/spyware or some sort, which I assume VLC isn't. It's far from the only example of Apple doing it too, just last week I was reading about another app (game) they were removing from everyone's purchase history for some reason. Taking it off the store for purchase is fine, but if you've already bought it, it should stay in your history for downloading.

btkadams

9% battery in 7 days? How much are you using that thing?
It hasn't been 7 days though, has it? The "time since last full charge" would have to add up to 7 days.

Edit: Oops, I thought you were talking about the phone battery life, but I see that it is 2%. Nevermind!

X-Frame

Yes, that does the trick for now ;)

Nothing like having an app that caches your favorite YT videos on your device, though.... So far none of them do 1080p correctly. Plus I just prefer the solidity of native apps to web apps.

Which app are you using to cache YouTube videos? I have MxTube on my 5 still and I see that all new installs removed the caching -- so once I upgrade to a 6/6+ I'll loose the caching unless there is a workaround to get it back?

Ninja Dom

This sort of behavior really doesn't sit too well with me. Apps should never be removed from your purchase history, unless they're viruses/spyware or some sort, which I assume VLC isn't. It's far from the only example of Apple doing it too, just last week I was reading about another app (game) they were removing from everyone's purchase history for some reason. Taking it off the store for purchase is fine, but if you've already bought it, it should stay in your history for downloading.

Not unless it was like the old VLC app from three or so years ago. That violated a whole bunch of licenses. VLC has already been released twice on iOS. They must be working on a third release (I hope).

LaneDS

I realize I'll get anecdotal answers, but how long should I expect to wait if I go into a local Apple Store with intent to trade in my 5 for a 6? Hadn't intended to upgrade but my 5 is now being very selective about when it will accept a charge, which is pretty annoying.

aha, so i've been checking my order page on att every so often, and as expected, the shipping date isn't concrete yet. that's cool, i'm expecting it to take a little while. i get an email from them yesterday afternoon with the subject line, "Information about your phone order". alright, cool. maybe it'll be an update on when my 6 will ship. nope! the email was essentially "yeah, nothing really has changed regarding your ship date, we still don't know, but thank you for your patience!"

it's not so much the wait, i just wish they wouldn't tease me like that ahaha

Ninja Dom

Which app are you using to cache YouTube videos? I have MxTube on my 5 still and I see that all new installs removed the caching -- so once I upgrade to a 6/6+ I'll loose the caching unless there is a workaround to get it back?

I use a YouTube app called McTube and they have also removed the caching and downloading of videos to the player. What's the chance that Google stepped in here to force these changes?

so it seems like bend-gate has blown over? i have a 6 and am not overly concerned, but will be glad to know the instances of this haven't kept popping up.

X-Frame

I use a YouTube app called McTube and they have also removed the caching and downloading of videos to the player. What's the chance that Google stepped in here to force these changes?

Almost a certainty from what I am reading. Copyright issues apparently. It's strange because there isn't even any update notes for my app that the dev removed it -- he just stealth removed it for new apps and never made any mention of it ever being there.

X-Frame

Your 5 might be eligible for a free battery replacement, Apple messed up on them.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

That won't help the charging issue, at least it didn't for me. I got my battery replaced for free but still most times I need to still wiggle the Lightning connector in a hundred different directions before my phone starts charging, it's very bad, and didn't change before/after the replacement.

Minsc

Gold Member
That won't help the charging issue, at least it didn't for me. I got my battery replaced for free but still most times I need to still wiggle the Lightning connector in a hundred different directions before my phone starts charging, it's very bad, and didn't change before/after the replacement.

My 5 is the same way, and I've discovered a strong vertical press (pushing the cable in really hard, or I prefer with a battery case simpy pressing the top and bottom towards each other with some force) fixes it fine... it's like as if the internals are a little lose or something.

Had the issue for a while now (maybe 4 months), and it's actually gotten a bit better I think. I used to be worried the phone was going to die, but now it just seems easy to deal with.

Also have the issue on my 5 with the power button on the top being worn out (I think due to another case that I used which had a built in button that sat over the power button)... unfortunately it was out of warranty when that happened, so I moved on to a case that leaves the power button open, and I've become used to it now again, seems if you push it on the left side it generally works fine, and the middle / right side won't register. Apple did say this is a known issue with the 5's and they'd have replaced it for a new phone for free if it was within a year... but it wasn't and really it's not a big deal for me now that I'm used to it.

So the moral of the story seems to be don't use cases for me... but I hate how little the phone is without them lol.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Normally there are three states an app can be in; on sale, not on sale (but still available to download) and taken offline. The latter usually only occurs when either the developer decides to take it down or Apple finds something about the app exploitative. Even apps that go against regulations usually are only put into "not on sale" mode.

I really wonder what was wrong with v2.3.0 of VLC, which was the most recent version available. VideoLAN still have not said anything about the app being removed.

btkadams

I'm not sure if this will help you, but my boyfriend's iPad had this issue where all of a sudden the Lightning cord had to be pushed in a certain direction for the charge to occur. We blew out the port with one of those compressed air things and found a bunch of dust came out. Now, the cord fits snug again. I recommend trying it!

sikkinixx

*sigh* why doesn't Apple make a dock for the 6/6+? I bought universal iPod docks+adaptors, I bought the 4 dock, I bought the 5 dock (though that didn't come out until the 5S I think?) now I want another one and they don't have one. I don't want some ugly ass third party dock. I don't want to pay $80+. I just wanted a nice little white Apple-made dock for $35 with rubber on the bottom that fits the phone perfectly like I've done since the iPod days

The other day I literally walked into an Apple Store bought a 6+ and walked out. I don't understand how you guys are getting these insane wait times. I'm assuming its the 16\64GB models? I got the 128 Silver 6+ and while I had an upgrade I was literally out within 30-40min.

Pastry

Banned

My 5 is the same way, and I've discovered a strong vertical press (pushing the cable in really hard, or I prefer with a battery case simpy pressing the top and bottom towards each other with some force) fixes it fine... it's like as if the internals are a little lose or something.

Had the issue for a while now (maybe 4 months), and it's actually gotten a bit better I think. I used to be worried the phone was going to die, but now it just seems easy to deal with.

Also have the issue on my 5 with the power button on the top being worn out (I think due to another case that I used which had a built in button that sat over the power button)... unfortunately it was out of warranty when that happened, so I moved on to a case that leaves the power button open, and I've become used to it now again, seems if you push it on the left side it generally works fine, and the middle / right side won't register. Apple did say this is a known issue with the 5's and they'd have replaced it for a new phone for free if it was within a year... but it wasn't and really it's not a big deal for me now that I'm used to it.

So the moral of the story seems to be don't use cases for me... but I hate how little the phone is without them lol.

lol I'm having this exact same issue with charging my 5, among other ones. Patiently waiting for my 6+ to ship... 2 more weeks!

dc89

The other day I literally walked into an Apple Store bought a 6+ and walked out. I don't understand how you guys are getting these insane wait times. I'm assuming its the 16\64GB models? I got the 128 Silver 6+ and while I had an upgrade I was literally out within 30-40min.

I was in an O2 store (UK) this morning looking at the iPhone 6, Plus & Z3. Chatting to the guy there he said they are getting deliveries all the time but it's totally random what shows up. He said they had 16GB 6 and + in stock but the other two are much harder to come buy.

Looking at the O2 site, that mirrors what he said. Seems like no one wants the 16GB this year.

btkadams

lol I'm having this exact same issue with charging my 5, among other ones. Patiently waiting for my 6+ to ship... 2 more weeks!
Try using compressed air to blow out the port. There might be dust/lint in there causing the cord to not fit properly. I had the same problem with my boyfriend's iPad.

ZeroX03

Banned
The other day I literally walked into an Apple Store bought a 6+ and walked out. I don't understand how you guys are getting these insane wait times. I'm assuming its the 1664GB models? I got the 128 Silver 6+ and while I had an upgrade I was literally out within 30-40min.

That's literally the model I ordered and I was told it was both extremely popular and incredibly low stock. Ordered from my carrier within minutes of pre orders opening too.

Friend of mine ordered his 6 Plus a week later from Apple direct and it arrived today. I'm still on a 3-4 week wait.

Ninja Dom

Almost a certainty from what I am reading. Copyright issues apparently. It's strange because there isn't even any update notes for my app that the dev removed it -- he just stealth removed it for new apps and never made any mention of it ever being there.

Exactly the same with the update of McTube that I use. No mention of the video caching removal whatsoever.

That's literally the model I ordered and I was told it was both extremely popular and incredibly low stock. Ordered from my carrier within minutes of pre orders opening too.

Friend of mine ordered his 6 Plus a week later from Apple direct and it arrived today. I'm still on a 3-4 week wait.

That is incredible. I just don't understand it. I'm in Chicago and we have a couple locations granted but I literally called during my lunch break (12pm) and they said they had some in stock and to come by. I came after work (Got off at 5pm) and they still had them in stock. Hopefully the wait goes by fast for you, the phone is definitely worth it imo.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

What was their reasoning? So strange. :/

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Is there a gaf IOS app thread? Ever since getting the iphone 6 I'm using my phone more and more for stuff besides web surfing and making calls. Larger screen and battery life makes a huge difference. It was one of the main reasons I considered going to Android, thank god apple finally listened.

LaneDS

Your 5 might be eligible for a free battery replacement, Apple messed up on them.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

It's actually the lightning connector (had the battery replaced last year). It has to be positioned in a certain way to where it registers that it's charging correctly, and the cable will fall out very easily. Doesn't look like anything is obstructing it and happens regardless of the cable. It's weird/disappointing and pushing me towards an upgrade sooner than I'd have liked.

I actually stopped by an Apple Store over my lunch break and asked two employees "How long is the wait for an iPhone 6?". One of them said "we don't have any" to which I replied "great, so how long is the wait for an iPhone 6?" to which he then replied "until we get some in". He also said all of that really slowly so I'd understand! What good customer service. It was like he wanted to play up all those negative stereotypes as much as possible, and succeeded admirably. His manager was standing next to him and then answered my questions like a human being, letting me know they restock every few days.

Yep, sounds to be exactly the same issue.

Top Bottom