• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Played with a 6 just now and love it but, man, that shit is light. I thought 5S was light and this is lighter. Screen is amazing.

Still waiting for my 6+. Ordered 64gb on Sept 17th from T-Mobile and checked order status and says it will ship "on or before 11/22." It better not take that long. Looks like the 16s are getting out fairly quickly but that's just not enough space for me.

MicH

Almost dropped my 6 on the concrete today. Literally caught it between two fingers just before it was headed for the concrete. I need my case ASAP :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Played with a 6 just now and love it but, man, that shit is light. I thought 5S was light and this is lighter. Screen is amazing.
Heh it's not. It's 10g heavier. It feels about the same weight to me. Although, after some days of using 6, and then quickly switching back to 5, I could tell the 5 is a tiny bit lighter after all.

jstripes

Banned
Walked into a Rogers store today and finally picked one up. (No wait.)

So happy with it.

Gotta rearrange my icons big time, coming from a 4S.

Nice!

For those who were around for the last screen size change, how long did it typically take for native apps to come out? Even Facebook hasn't updated yet which is surprising.
Anywhere from weeks to months. It really depends on who the developer is and how much they're working on to push it through.

kaskade

Instagram is probably the one update I'm looking more forward too. The scaling isn't too bad but I like seeing the crisp text, and getting more screen real estate.

BoerBert

Received mine today (6 64gb). Had a 4 before and that one became incredibly slow and the home button was terrible. Can't believe how fast the 6 is.

hitsugi

Google GMail app just got a 6/6+ update, Hopefully the rest of their suite of apps will get updates too, especially YouTube.

I may switch from mailbox over to this... I've been using gmail forever, don't really care about the whole inbox zero thing, and am used to the way gmail has things organized by now (Android user for 2 years)

Ninja Dom

Just got this. Much better.

I may switch from mailbox over to this... I've been using gmail forever, don't really care about the whole inbox zero thing, and am used to the way gmail has things organized by now (Android user for 2 years)

I've had a Gmail account for 10 years now but I've always much preferred having the iOS Mail app handle my emails. I like the sweet integration with the whole OS especially camera & photos. I ONLY use the Gmail app to be able to sort slippery emails into the Spam box.

Any reason why you would use the app over having your Gmail account inside the iOS Mail app??

hope32

I've had a Gmail account for 10 years now but I've always much preferred having the iOS Mail app handle my emails. I like the sweet integration with the whole OS especially camera & photos. I ONLY use the Gmail app to be able to sort slippery emails into the Spam box.

Any reason why you would use the app over having your Gmail account inside the iOS Mail app??

Gmail doesn't push in the native app anymore, unless you were grandfathered in.

hitsugi

Mainly due to it being the same formatting I'm used to seeing for the last couple of years. I've noticed sometimes it is best to stick with native, though.. see Sunrise vs. Calendar app and things I schedule on Sunrise not showing up on my "Today" screen.. That could just be a setting I'm missing somewhere. I've been gone from iOS for a while now.

Heh it's not. It's 10g heavier. It feels about the same weight to me. Although, after some days of using 6, and then quickly switching back to 5, I could tell the 5 is a tiny bit lighter after after all.

Oh, shit, you're right; I've got them both in my hands now. Maybe my mind just messed with me when I saw the size and I automatically expected it was going to be waaaay heavier.

Hi party people.

Honest opinions on battery for 6 and 6 plus?

I have a galaxy s4. It usually makes it 2/3rds through a full day, but since I can swap batteries I never have to worry.

I would hate to have to charge all day at work to make it to 9pm or later if I'm going out.

Thoughts please!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hi party people.

I have a galaxy s4. It usually makes it 2/3rds through a full day, but since I can swap batteries I never have to worry.

I would hate to have to charge all day at work to make it to 9pm or later if I'm going out.

Thoughts please!

The 6 plus has a great battery. I always make it through a full day. Could probably go more too if I didn't use it as much.

BikoBiko

Hoping WhatsApp update will also include quick replying from the notification bar, but that'll probably take them another 6 months. I know it's a small team but please put your Facebook billions to good use and update that app more quickly.

Husker86

Hi party people.

Thoughts please!

From what I remember of my GS4, I'd say the 6 is equal. Probably better standby, but for normal usage I wouldn't expect much difference. 6 plus is obviously better than that, but I don't have one.

GWX

Hoping WhatsApp update will also include quick replying from the notification bar, but that'll probably take them another 6 months. I know it's a small team but please put your Facebook billions to good use and update that app more quickly.

But there's no Quick Reply API. Third-party developers can only add buttons to the notification banner.

Ninja Dom

Hi party people.

Thoughts please!

I can leave home to go to work with my 6 on 100% and get home from work confidently with the battery on around 40% - 50%. No problem. And that would include watching video or listening to music on a 45 minute commute there and back, calls (maybe some FaceTime) playing Boom Beach and browsing GAF.

My brightness isn't up too high, by default and always remember to immediately lock your iPhone if you're not gonna use it for that moment - instead of leaving the backlight to turn off by itself. I also work in a London Underground tube station so if I'm gonna be in parts of the station where I won't have call reception for a while then I will put the phone into Airplane Mode.

MercuryLS

Banned
This phone is ridiculously thin.

This phone has no business being this thin.

It actually doesn't, it's too thin IMO. I would have preferred it being a bit thicker with a bigger battery and better battery life. Protruding camera is so gross, for someone like that always goes careless it's a deal breaker (in addition to other issues I had with it).

It actually doesn't, it's too thin IMO. I would have preferred it being a bit thicker with a bigger battery and better battery life. Protruding camera is so gross, for someone like that always goes careless it's a deal breaker (in addition to other issues I had with it).

Apple's standard leather case solves that problem just fine, I think. And provides enough protection.

NekoFever

I ended up getting the leather case for a bit of grip as much as anything. It's getting cold here and I don't want slippery metal when I've got gloves on.

MercuryLS

Banned
Apple's standard leather case solves that problem just fine, I think. And provides enough protection.

For most it won't matter, i'm hardcore anti-case so I don't care for the design. The rounded body feels nice when you're holding it but it sucks when you're holding it in landscape, it also make the phone incredibly slippery in the hand, it's so hard to get a strong grip on it like a 4 or 5 series phone. The iPhone 6 is very well built but it's the worst design since the 3 series for me.

btkadams

I got my black 6 Plus! It shipped a week early from Telus. I spent the last few weeks so worried about whether or not this would fit in my hand, but I've been using it one-handed just as much as before and with no complaints. It's very nice.

Also, as shitty as it is that a bunch of apps are still not optimized, this is way better than the 4s to 5 transition. Opening a 4s app on the 5 would give you those black borders with the usable part of the screen in the centre. With the unoptimized apps on the 6 Plus, everything just looks bigger. I haven't even opened one that looked blurry at all. It just looks like things are bigger than they should be.

jstripes

Banned

Ya, I emailed Apple voicing my support for slightly thicker phones.

It might fall on deaf ears, but who knows.

So I've had my 6 for about two weeks now, ended up picking one up in stores a few days after they became available.
I'm coming from a 4S and this is such a nice upgrade. I love the larger screen, and the lightness of the phone. It appears to run just as good, slightly faster compared to my old phone.
Ended up having to get a new SIM card this morning, but I think that's just because my SIM card was faulty. Only took five minutes at the AT&T store. No problem at all.
I bought the 128GB Gold model, and really like this gold shade compared to the 5, it's more rich to me I think.
I also have a gripped Speck case, and I think it's great. The added grips don't look pretty at all but they feel good and secured compared to the other candyshell cases that can be a bit slick. The case itself doesn't add much weight or thickness to the phone. So I find it to be a winner for me.
All in all, I'm really pleased I upgraded. Worth it completely!

NYR

Every time an app updates to support the 6 Plus screen, like Gmail did today, gives me the same chills as seeing apps being updated to support the Retina Display when the iPhone 4 came out. Apps optimized for the screen look AMAZING.

I played with the 6/6+ a few weeks ago in an Apple store and I thought they were too thin to grip easily (more for the + than the 6). Would a case solve this issue?

MercuryLS

Banned
I played with the 6/6+ a few weeks ago in an Apple store and I thought they were too thin to grip easily (more for the + than the 6). Would a case solve this issue?

It would, the 6 felt a lot better in the hand with the leather case when I had it. I'm sure the same applies with the 6+.

Top Bottom