• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Thezez

Banned
After some account gymnastics with my telco, I picked my 16GB Space Grey 6 today. Wow this size takes a lot of getting used to, even coming from the 5.

jstripes

Banned
Every time an app updates to support the 6 Plus screen, like Gmail did today, gives me the same chills as seeing apps being updated to support the Retina Display when the iPhone 4 came out. Apps optimized for the screen look AMAZING.

I'm pretty sure I still have some apps that don't support retina. :p

Xamdou

Anyone having read text messages showing as unread? Also some webpages freezes where I have to restart the phone just to make it work again.

MercuryLS

Banned
After some account gymnastics with my telco, I picked my 16GB Space Grey 6 today. Wow this size takes a lot of getting used to, even coming from the 5.

Dimensions wise it's not a huge difference from the 5, but there's an obvious difference. The larger size is harder to use one handed for sure (depending on your size of hand). I tried out the 6 Plus again today, it's such a crazy big size.

CodeNfX

Anyone have problems with Audio messages? It was working fine yesterday and today I can't hear any messages from me and the recipient.

Noema

Well, it seemed like 10 years. Version 2.8.6 came out on 16 November 2012 with iOS 6 and iPhone 5 improvements. The iPhone 5 came out in September 2012 so a 2 month wait for an update.

It also took them several weeks to push out their iOS7 redisign last week.

Ashhong

I played with the 6/6+ a few weeks ago in an Apple store and I thought they were too thin to grip easily (more for the + than the 6). Would a case solve this issue?

Yea, I love my 6 but I found it too thin. Put on a minisuit case which is pretty thin for a solid case and it feels great.

You know a phone wasn't designed well if it feels better with a case. When I exchanged my 6+ today and took the case off I forget how damn light and thin the things was, felt much better with a case

Vyer

For most it won't matter, i'm hardcore anti-case so I don't care for the design. The rounded body feels nice when you're holding it but it sucks when you're holding it in landscape, it also make the phone incredibly slippery in the hand, it's so hard to get a strong grip on it like a 4 or 5 series phone. The iPhone 6 is very well built but it's the worst design since the 3 series for me.

man, you had a heck of a turnaround from when you first had the 6. I still like the 'look' of the back of the 5/5s the most, but I agreed with you (at the time) that the 6 feels like the best design overall, in terms of feel and finish, and still feel that way. I do agree though that it can feel 'too thin' and wouldn't miss it at all if it was a little thicker, say enough to make the camera flush.

MercuryLS

Banned
man, you had a heck of a turnaround from when you first had the 6. I still like the 'look' of the back of the 5/5s the most, but I agreed with you (at the time) that the 6 feels like the best design overall, in terms of feel and finish, and still feel that way. I do agree though that it can feel 'too thin' and wouldn't miss it at all if it was a little thicker, say enough to make the camera flush.

I was on the new phone high. The 6 is the most refined design of all the iPhones, the issues that cropped up for me was that it was actually too thin, the camera popping out causing wobbling on a table and the rounded design making it harder to hold in landscape for long periods of time (like watching youtube/movies in bed). The curved design is a double edged sword, it feels glorious in the hand and it's so nice to bezel swipe but it's not as nice holding it in landscape for watching videos or taking pics (i hold my iPhone like a camera and use the volume + button to take shots). The 4/5 series don't feel as nice in the hand as the 6 but those other advantages of the boxy design that I mentioned are more important to me ultimately. After a week of using the 6 I realized that the changes in design from the 5/5S didn't really jive with the things I'd come to really like about the iPhone.

I know this isn't a Verizon thread, but my two iPhone 5 trade-ins have apparently been stolen in transit to Verizon. Verizon e-mail me to say they haven't received them as of two days ago. I mailed them the week after the 6 came out, so they should have been there by now.

I have until Oct 11 to get them to them or I'll lose my credit - totaling $475 between the two of them. Really bummed about this, and there's absolutely no way I can track them or anything of that nature. I will eventually report them lost or stolen so that they won't work, but it's probably hosing an innocent over who merely bought them from the thieves. Oh well.

mf.luder

My 64GB 6 was scheduled for delivery tomorrow. And then it bumped to Thursday. But now it's back to tomorrow, thankfully. Played with one again at the store yesterday and I cannot wait. Time to get this 5S listed and sold.

Is anyone using the device without a case? That's how I plan to use it as I feel they add some bulk and get stuck in my pockets.

Vyer

I was on the new phone high. The 6 is the most refined design of all the iPhones, the issues that cropped up for me was that it was actually too thin, the camera popping out causing wobbling on a table and the rounded design making it harder to hold in landscape for long periods of time (like watching youtube/movies in bed). The curved design is a double edged sword, it feels glorious in the hand and it's so nice to bezel swipe but it's not as nice holding it in landscape for watching videos or taking pics (i hold my iPhone like a camera and use the volume + button to take shots). The 4/5 series don't feel as nice in the hand as the 6 but those other advantages of the boxy design that I mentioned are more important to me ultimately. After a week of using the 6 I realized that the changes in design from the 5/5S didn't really jive with the things I'd come to really like about the iPhone.

Yeah I definitely see how those issues could pop up, particularly if you tend to go careless.

I know this isn't a Verizon thread, but my two iPhone 5 trade-ins have apparently been stolen in transit to Verizon. Verizon e-mail me to say they haven't received them as of two days ago. I mailed them the week after the 6 came out, so they should have been there by now.

I have until Oct 11 to get them to them or I'll lose my credit - totaling $475 between the two of them. Really bummed about this, and there's absolutely no way I can track them or anything of that nature. I will eventually report them lost or stolen so that they won't work, but it's probably hosing an innocent over who merely bought them from the thieves. Oh well.

Damn, that sucks. Did Verizon send you the labels/boxes to ship? I guess there was no sort of insurance involved? Why can't you track them?

NekoFever

Now they need to get off their butts and offer a CloudKit option for their Mac version 5.

I'm fairly sure I read on their blog that it's coming as soon as Yosemite goes public. I agree that it's stupid to make iCloud unusable until then, though, since other apps seem to be syncing fine between iOS 8 and Mavericks.

I think my 4 is starting to gain self-awareness about me using my friend's 6 this past weekend and has been starting to crap out on me even more than usual. My upgrade isn't until December it feels like it's going to be the longest 2 month wait of my life until then.

number11

I use this type of cases :

https://www.lucrin.com/cases-for-mo...cts/iphone-6-6-plus/classic-case-iphone-6.htm

So that the phone doesn't get scratched or anything in my pockets, and take the phone out when I want to use it.

All my iPhones have been in Sena/Knomo cases. It's slightly annoying taking the phone out of the case all the time, but I've gotten used to it.

SRcb5O4l.jpg

I ordered a 6 last night through Verizon and it's back ordered to 10/24. Do these ever miraculously ship early? Two weeks isn't a huge deal but I'm just curious how accurate the ship date is.

sikkinixx

I got the green Apple branded case... Weird I haven't used a case on my phone in 4 years or so. Worried about grip more than ever on the 6, and combined that with one hand it's a little less stable because of the size every little bit of stickiness helps.

I was waiting for my wife at the mall and some kid was frantically telling her mom something, the mom looks at me and says "my daughter sniped out your new iPhone. How is it?" When I eventually start working again I'm sure all the students will be all over it as well. Phones really are the new DS/Gameboy

Husker86

There is no tracking available?

Ninja Dom

All my iPhones have been in Sena/Knomo cases. It's slightly annoying taking the phone out of the case all the time, but I've gotten used to it.

SRcb5O4l.jpg

Yes, my favourite type of case.

My pal ordered a Sena one from the US for his iPhone 6 and think it's superb. I went into the Apple Store in Covent Garden, London, and while they had the full suite of colours for the iPhone 5S, the only cases they had for the 6 and 6 Plus were the official Apple cases.

I also found these similar cases on Amazon, £12.95

Ashhong

Don't you have tracking for the package you sent?

dLMN8R

I'm considering getting an iPhone 6 64GB, but just temporarily (perhaps 6-9 months). Mostly out of curiosity to see how it's evolved since my old iPhone 3GS, but also because of frustration over not having any sexy new hardware on Windows Phone.

Yes, I do still prefer the Windows Phone OS, and do not have a problem with the App Gap, but until Windows 10-based phones come out, I'd like to try an iPhone 6.

So my question is: what carrier would suit these needs best while costing me the least?

• Should I buy it outright and use it on any carrier, then just sell it 6-9 months from now?
  • Should I try AT&T Next or Verizon's similar plan and just do whatever they require to trade-in later?
  • What about T-Mobile's monthly charge plan?

I also have an iPod Touch right now, which I could sell for ~$150 since I'd no longer need it, so that would help offset prices. That's a constant though so it doesn't affect my questions above.

Kibbles

Picked up a 6+ at Best Buy but all they had was silver. Is there any community or site where people trade for different colors? Just seems so risky doing it online though.

Also they only had 16gb... If the Apple Store gets say a 64GB would I be able to go there and exchange it in within 14 days and pay the difference or is that only if you bought at the Apple Store? 16GB is fine for me right now but 64GB will give me a lot more freedom.

Corgi

Banned
But silver is the best color.

I have an old iPod Touch 2nd Gen I look at occasionally to remind myself how far the tech has come.

still have an old iphone 3g (first ios device!). weirdly enough i still find its easier/more comfortable to hold than iphone 6 family.

Absol

Been using the 6 Plus for over a week now. Tried playing around with my old phone, an HTC One X, and damn does it feels really small now. Don't think I can go back to anything that size.

Futurematic

I had hoped that the iPhone 6 would have had more RAM especially because Apple's longtime conservative position on the amount of included RAM for Macs had improved a lot over the last few years. Didn't expect it of course, but hope.

Speculation (Daring Fireball) that Apple is globally supply constrained on RAM.

Trendforce (analyst company)
Apple’s consumption of mobile DRAM will grow from the current 16.5 percent of the industry’s total production volume to 25 percent in 2015

The pro-Apple position of course, but certainly plausible.

Vyer

I'm considering getting an iPhone 6 64GB, but just temporarily (perhaps 6-9 months). Mostly out of curiosity to see how it's evolved since my old iPhone 3GS, but also because of frustration over not having any sexy new hardware on Windows Phone.

Yes, I do still prefer the Windows Phone OS, and do not have a problem with the App Gap, but until Windows 10-based phones come out, I'd like to try an iPhone 6.

So my question is: what carrier would suit these needs best while costing me the least?

• Should I buy it outright and use it on any carrier, then just sell it 6-9 months from now?
  • Should I try AT&T Next or Verizon's similar plan and just do whatever they require to trade-in later?
  • What about T-Mobile's monthly charge plan?

I also have an iPod Touch right now, which I could sell for ~$150 since I'd no longer need it, so that would help offset prices. That's a constant though so it doesn't affect my questions above.

I'm only familiar with Next, but as I understand it you would be off contract, and can pay off the phone at any time or just continue with the payments. At a 12 month upgrade I think the 6 64gb phone is like 35 a month. Of course once you pay it off you're clear.

I would be a good deal for you except that I don't think they have the upgrade eligibility within 8-9 months. You might have to wait the full 12 at least? If that's an issue then buying outright is going to be the better option, though it's going to cost you more obviously right out of the gate.

Since Chrome has been updated, I think I'm officially done with Safari now. Is there any way to import your bookmarks from Safari into Chrome?

Also, I used Google Maps for the first time since Apple Maps were released and Google Maps is way better. It even has lane assist. I hope that gets updated soon.

Top Bottom