• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Since Chrome has been updated, I think I'm officially done with Safari now. Is there any way to import your bookmarks from Safari into Chrome?

Also, I used Google Maps for the first time since Apple Maps were released and Google Maps is way better. It even has lane assist. I hope that gets updated soon.

Just a shame that Chrome doesn't make use of the iOS share sheet and thus 1Password support and all that.

The lack of iPhone 6/6+ optimized apps is breaking my heart.

I mean sure flipboard, wikipanion, alien blue have been updated. But so many older apps I have I'm pretty sure will never see another update.

I almost wish apple would do some housecleaning on the App Store and pull apps that haven't been updated in years and years...

Iphone 6 is the same aspect ratio as the 5 no? Why do apps need to be optimised for it?

I'm on the 6+. Maybe apps look better on the 6. But shit for me looks comically distorted.

Also why aren't my replies going through on safari? I gotta cut and paste in a new thread reply....ugh

FinKL

Is Chrome significantly better than Safari? I would think Apple would know how to optimize their browser on their phone, but maybe there's something I'm missing that would make Chrome preferable to Safari.

Also have a 6+, everything other phone that isn't a phablet is small to me now. This is after a week and a half of use.

giga

Chrome still isn't using WKWebView, which gives them access to the Nitro JS engine. So no, it's still slower than Safari.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Iphone 6 is the same aspect ratio as the 5 no? Why do apps need to be optimised for it?

Non optimized apps are comically zoomed in and look akin to what non-retina apps look like on the 4 through 5 iPhone devices. Text sizes especially are huge compared to what native resolution apps render, gets jarring.

I don't know why the hell developers are taking so damn long to update the resolution for their apps

It does looks really blown up and slightly blurry on the 6+ screen

Corgi

Banned
messing with chrome again makes me realize the flaws of old ios app design with the newer phones.

having the back button at the top sucks, and swipe left to right to go back needs to be a thing for chrome. i rarely need to switch between tabs anyways.

still looking for some 3rd party apps that done some new stuff specifically for iphone 6+'s added real estate. cnn is the only thing with the split pane.

gmail was updated for 6/6+, but doesn't have split pane for landscape.

messing with chrome again makes me realize the flaws of old ios app design with the newer phones.

having the back button at the top sucks, and swipe left to right to go back needs to be a thing for chrome. i rarely need to switch between tabs anyways.

still looking for some 3rd party apps that done some new stuff specifically for iphone 6+'s added real estate. cnn is the only thing with the split pane.

gmail was updated for 6/6+, but doesn't have split pane for landscape.

Every app should have the swipe left and right for going back and forth at this point

Google always delays supporting the functionality of the new os in the past 2 os releases leading me to think they are either very slow or it's about competition.

ZeroX03

Banned
Google always delays supporting the functionality of the new os in the past 2 os releases leading me to think they are either very slow or it's about competition.

Or there's a massive backlog of Apps to be reviewed by Apple and they don't give Google any special treatment in the line?

A select few developers seemed to get word of the 6 beforehand and/or get priority, but most developers were completely in the dark about it until the public announcement one week before launch and there's a huge backlog of apps waiting for review to go live with 6 (& Plus) enhancements. A few devs on Twitter said they've waited a long time (over a week) for their updates to be approved.

jstripes

Banned
The only downside to upgrading from a 4S to an iPhone 6:

I have an abundance of dock connector cables, for every situation. Now I only have one Lightning cable.

Ugh. How can I get these things for less than $20?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I have an abundance of dock connector cables, for every situation. Now I only have one Lightning cable.

7-11?

HUELEN10

Monoprice has tons of MFi certified cables.

Remember, never not get an MFi cable!

Maitiú

Same boat (pun not intended) here. I've used 3 generations of ipod Touches, and just bought the 5S last week. The cheapest mfi certified cable I saw at monoprice is $12, while Amazon has a seller listing it for $7.50 free shipping (no minimum purchase needed) and a 5 foot cable is only 50 cents extra.

MicH

Finally received the black leather case for my 6. Can't believe they are this hard to find in Denmark - NONE of the stores have them! You have to order from Apple's website and there are no silicone cases anywhere either!

Anyway, I really, really love the leather case. It is really nice and grippy! Exactly what I needed as the phone was a little slippery on it's own - almost dropped it a few times!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
If anyone is looking for a 6 plus make sure that you go on the App Store app. I just looked on it and 4 malls near me here in Florida and my main one back home has my space gray 64gb in stock for pick up.

Now I just need to decide if I really need it right now

I was on the train to work today when I noticed a hairline scratch about 1/4 of an inch long on my iPhone 6+. 2 years of going naked on an iPhone 5 with nary a scratch and 2 and a half weeks with two tiny scratches on my 6+. I don't understand it, my phone goes into and out of my pocket and that's as rough as I am with it.

I'm not going to fret over it too much. I've AppleCare+, so 6 months down the line I'll get the screen replaced if it continues to get nicked up. Yeah, yeah, I should've had a screen protector on it. However, I just never had any problems with the 5. I assumed the same would be the case with the 6+.

Has anyone else had any issues with the 6's glass?

Husker86

Amazon Basic cables are good. Not as super slim as Apple ones, though.

That's crazy. I don't see how people use chrome on iOS because of this. I won't touch it until it's as fast as safari.

Eh, I don't notice a difference at all. Also, since I use chrome on every device I own, it's much more convenient.

sugarless

Amazon Basic cables are good. Not as super slim as Apple ones, though.

Can confirm, quality cables although the port on the iPhone end is a little bigger so you might want to check it with any cases you're buying. But they sell much longer versions than Apple do for less money, which is handy for certain use cases.

sugarless

I don't know why the hell developers are taking so damn long to update the resolution for their apps

It does looks really blown up and slightly blurry on the 6+ screen

I'm taking this whole situation as the upside of having to wait 3-4 weeks for my phone order. Slowly but surely the apps I care about are being updated for the 6 Plus. (LINE better update sometime soon though...)

wihio

I will offer an odd response. Go to a hotel and say you lost one. I own a small seasonal hotel and guests abandon them all the time. I hold them for a few months, but rarely have anyone claim them. I end up just giving them to friends and guests.

jackrubyn

Is anyone else's finger scan ID thing pretty shitty? (Iphone 6 Plus). Mine only seems to work half the times, or maybe even less. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, like pressing to lightly or something.

Is anyone else's finger scan ID thing pretty shitty? (Iphone 6 Plus). Mine only seems to work half the times, or maybe even less. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, like pressing to lightly or something.

Mine is oddly accurate. Such that I get antsy that it'd just let anyone in so I'll periodically test it with a finger I haven't registered. These are the only times I've seen it fail. You might want to try retraining your fingers if you're having problems as it should be quite reliable.

mackaveli

Mine works great; probably at least 95% of the time.

How many fingers you have assigned?

I use two for each thumb as I never use my index fingers to unlock it.

And to the poster who said redo the scan. Yes that should help. I redo it anytime I find it takes a couple of attempts to unlock the phone.

How many fingers you have assigned?

I use two for each thumb as I never use my index fingers to unlock it.

And to the poster who said redo the scan. Yes that should help. I redo it anytime I find it takes a couple of attempts to unlock the phone.

I have both thumbs added, and my wife added one of her thumbs last week. I started with just 1 finger, and adding additional doesn't appear to have had any impact on accuracy or response time.

Screen protector question:

What one should I be getting for the 6+? Should I be waiting? Do I go for a flimsy one or a glass one?

I read a post on here saying the current ones (and possible future ones) would not be that good in terms of cover because they don't curve like the screen, is there any truth to this?

KingGondo

Banned
Makes sense. 16GB isn't enough for most in 2014. 128GB is deemed as too expensive.
I've been trying to find a 64GB in Space Gray for a couple weeks now, and I've already decided that I'll just snag a 128GB if that becomes available first. I'll own the phone for a couple of years anyways.

Pastry

Banned
I've been trying to find a 64GB in Space Gray for a couple weeks now, and I've already decided that I'll just snag a 128GB if that becomes available first. I'll own the phone for a couple of years anyways.

There hasn't been a 64GB 6+, or any 6+ at that, available in San Antonio since release so I went ahead and just ordered mine from Apple two weeks ago. Still waiting for it to ship, estimated delivery date of October 23-30 :(

Ninja Dom

Do it with the 128GB (funds permitting)!! 128GB Space Grey 6 is what I have. 114GB available to the user.

Lanbeast

There hasn't been a 64GB 6+, or any 6+ at that, available in San Antonio since release so I went ahead and just ordered mine from Apple two weeks ago. Still waiting for it to ship, estimated delivery date of October 23-30 :(

Same here in south central PA. Ordered the 64GB 6+ in space gray on Oct 1. and it's still sitting at processing (3-4 weeks.)

Not directly related to iPhone 6 but I don't understand why so many people act as if Apple is the only company that releases new products every year. Like you see people tweeting shit about it and how "they'll just announce a 6s next year!!" as though nobody else has yearly lineups. Despite these people tweeting from their Galaxy S5s. It's crazy.

jstripes

Banned

I walked into a store the other day and got a Gray 64 GB no problem. :/

Erebus

Not directly related to iPhone 6 but I don't understand why so many people act as if Apple is the only company that releases new products every year. Like you see people tweeting shit about it and how "they'll just announce a 6s next year!!" as though nobody else has yearly lineups. Despite these people tweeting from their Galaxy S5s. It's crazy.
Not to mention that some others like Sony upgrade their flagship smartphones every 6 months.

//ARCANUM

so I'm entering the ring of trying to purchase a 6+... I'm signed up for istocknow alerts and have been spamming the apple site (trying to get in store pickup). no luck so far. thinking of just starting to show up at the store when it opens in the mornings.

anyone have any luck with purchasing a 6+ (verizon) as a walk in? any advice you can give?

thanks!

Top Bottom