• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Not directly related to iPhone 6 but I don't understand why so many people act as if Apple is the only company that releases new products every year. Like you see people tweeting shit about it and how "they'll just announce a 6s next year!!" as though nobody else has yearly lineups. Despite these people tweeting from their Galaxy S5s. It's crazy.

Yea it's strange there will be a new nexus and new HTC one and new galaxy every year but people I guess just salty at Apple at wanna hate. it is what it is.

Apath

I'm really loving my 6 Plus, but if there is one thing making me regret the purchase, it is other people. The constant mocking of how big it is, whether it will bend, how I'm texting using two hands, or have to adjust myself when pulling it out of my pocket is getting really old.

Piggus

All my iPhones have been in Sena/Knomo cases. It's slightly annoying taking the phone out of the case all the time, but I've gotten used to it.

SRcb5O4l.jpg

*Bro fist*

Love the Sena Ultraslim sleeve. Getting one ASAP for my 6 (which gets here Thursday).

Not directly related to iPhone 6 but I don't understand why so many people act as if Apple is the only company that releases new products every year. Like you see people tweeting shit about it and how "they'll just announce a 6s next year!!" as though nobody else has yearly lineups. Despite these people tweeting from their Galaxy S5s. It's crazy.

the problem is obviously that Apple doesn't release phones often enough!

I'm really loving my 6 Plus, but if there is one thing making me regret the purchase, it is other people. The constant mocking of how big it is, whether it will bend, how I'm texting using two hands, or have to adjust myself when pulling it out of my pocket is getting really old.

No one has had the balls to say something like that to me thankfully. I would just stare at them till they walked off. I love the size of it. I use it for netflix at work all the time. Then they all "Omg awesome". They just like being part of the crowd.

toohectic

When does the Apple update the in-store availability stock on their website? I'm still trying to get a hold of a normal 6, but the stock around here seems to disappear instantly. If their site updates at a routine time for the following day in-store stock, I'll just keep an eye out online every night and reserve one as soon as they pop up. I haven't seen any pattern yet for times, but I haven't been that diligent at checking.

Mobius 1

So, how is the resilience of the glass against scratches this time? Not major ones, but small hairline scratches that happen by have it on a pocket with keys, coins, etc.

btkadams

I make the jokes first, so people don't bother to. Better to make fun of yourself and beat the others to it, in my opinion.

asdad123

Any reason why Best Buy sells these phones for $50 over the normal price? I have $250 in gift cards for it and would rather purchase a phone for full price there, but its $799 for the 64gb 6. Would they price match the $749 price?

rezuth

So, how is the resilience of the glass against scratches this time? Not major ones, but small hairline scratches that happen by have it on a pocket with keys, coins, etc.

I had a cat go fucking insane at it which freaked me out but it was fine. Cat hadn't been cut for a long while too so they were sharp claws.

I'm gonna wager its slightly improved from the 5S

When does the Apple update the in-store availability stock on their website? I'm still trying to get a hold of a normal 6, but the stock around here seems to disappear instantly. If their site updates at a routine time for the following day in-store stock, I'll just keep an eye out online every night and reserve one as soon as they pop up. I haven't seen any pattern yet for times, but I haven't been that diligent at checking.

1am and 1pm is what I've heard. If you see it available after 1am either order online or be there a little while before opening.

Sickbean

With regards to scaling, is it only 2D stuff that needs an update to be native? For example does something like Super Hexagon need an update to run native?

Mafro

Is the Power Support Air Jacket officially out yet for the 6? I got an Apple silicone case but I'm pretty disappointed with it.

Any advice on this?

Screen protector question:

What one should I be getting for the 6+? Should I be waiting? Do I go for a flimsy one or a glass one?

I read a post on here saying the current ones (and possible future ones) would not be that good in terms of cover because they don't curve like the screen, is there any truth to this?

Wizman23

Banned
Any advice on this?

Yeah. Don't use one. Naked iphone is the only way to go in my opinion. No case, no screen protector, the way the product was intended to be used. I have been rolling bare back since my iphone 4 and all iphones after and they are all still in pristine condition.

glaurung

Any advice on this?
If you carry your phone in a pocket with nothing else in there and if you don't drop your stuff all the time, naked iPhone is best.

If you need to toss your iPhone into a bag of pocket with keys and other stuff in it, getting a screen protector as well as a case (any) is a good idea. It will keep your mind at ease for a longer time.

Number45

Yeah. Don't use one. Naked iphone is the only way to go in my opinion. No case, no screen protector, the way the product was intended to be used. I have been rolling bare back since my iphone 4 and all iphones after and they are all still in pristine condition.
I've been using the Sena cases, which I love because I can go naked when I want but have some protection against normal wear and tear, but I just feel extra paranoid this time around. The 4S is an absolute beast, and the 6/6+ and even the 5 shells don't seem as hardy in comparison.

Picking up a Tech 21 case, and I'd been considering a screen protector as well. Hard to justify the cost of the Zagg though when it doesn't cover the entire screen,

Finally got mine. I never got a case for the 5S, but with the raised camera and all I felt like I needed one for the 6 - jesus christ, I forgot what a wild west nightmare the iPhone case world was. Everything is either absurdly priced for a molded piece of plastic, or a ridiculously cheap and suspicious piece of plastic from a company you've never heard of.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Finally got mine. I never got a case for the 5S, but with the raised camera and all I felt like I needed one for the 6 - jesus christ, I forgot what a wild west nightmare the iPhone case world was. Everything is either absurdly priced for a molded piece of plastic, or a ridiculously cheap and suspicious piece of plastic from a company you've never heard of.

There's a reason I only go Otterbox. It just works super well, thought that 6 Plus case, is like $70...

Corgi

Banned
got one of these for my 6+

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHHS7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

loved it on my 5, and its even better here. much better buttons. and its quite thin, but protects the edges and the camera. Slap a tempered glass protector on there and you'd be good.

After using the 6+ for a while... might just be me but all the exclusive landscape stuff are total garbage! Wish i can turn them off. Transitions are sluggish, and for some, like alarm, are utterly useless.

wish they implemented something on the os level to let me rotate video screen instead of full lock.

I'm going to be traveling overseas for an extended period of time very soon. I would love to have my new iPhone 6 unlocked and use a prepaid foreign SIM. AT&T won't unlock the phone because I'm still under contract. Are any of the third-party unlocking services reputable? Many of them claim money-back guarantees, but they all seem pretty shady.

knitoe

I'm going to be traveling overseas for an extended period of time very soon. I would love to have my new iPhone 6 unlocked and use a prepaid foreign SIM. AT&T won't unlock the phone because I'm still under contract. Are any of the third-party unlocking services reputable? Many of them claim money-back guarantees, but they all seem pretty shady.

Many people have use Swiftunlocks. I used them with a IP5 at launch for $5, but prices seems to have risen greatly. Currently, $100 for IP6 / 6+.

http://www.swiftunlocks.com/unlock/at-t-iphone-6

KingGondo

Banned
I walked into a store the other day and got a Gray 64 GB no problem. :/
No need to rub it in...

;)

Still waiting on mine to become available. I'm not dealing with Target or Best Buy anymore. Their employees aren't helpful and their online stock indicators aren't reliable.

Waiting on the Apple Store at this point.

VeeP

Hey guys, any idea if Best Buy sells unlocked iPhone 6's? On their site they don't show it. But I thought I read a comment by someone saying they did sell them in stores. Can anyone verify?

RkOwnage

Hey guys, any idea if Best Buy sells unlocked iPhone 6's? On their site they don't show it. But I thought I read a comment by someone saying they did sell them in stores. Can anyone verify?

We sell the Verizon, AT&T and Sprint iPhones. We don't sell an official unlocked one. Apparently the Verizon one will work on overseas GSM carriers, and will pick up LTE signals for AT&T and Tmobile. The AT&T one can be unlocked through customer service I believe.

But no, we don't sell an "unlocked" branded iPhone.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
got one of these for my 6+

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHHS7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

loved it on my 5, and its even better here. much better buttons. and its quite thin, but protects the edges and the camera. Slap a tempered glass protector on there and you'd be good.

I have a similar case and it works great. it's thin enough to the point that you almost forget it's even on the phone! Good way to prevent any knicks and scratches on the back.

Balb

Pretty bummed by the iPhone 6 Plus and/or iOS 8 so far...

Aside from having sluggish WiFi I just feel like the OS isn't as polished as previous iterations.

drspeedy

Anyone here with a gold 6? That's the only one available, but gold... isn't my thing usually. How ugly are they?

Also: keep the case recommendations coming.

Anyone here with a gold 6? That's the only one available, but gold... isn't my thing usually. How ugly are they?

Also: keep the case recommendations coming.

The gold looks pretty great when you see it in person. As for cases, The Apple Leather cases feel nice and looks classy without adding too much bulk.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm gettin' ready to make my purchase and they're still like 4 weeks out!!!

Do the leather cases from apple seem durable? I feel like the leather would scratch immediately.

I had the leather case for the 5S and I got one for the 6 too. It does scratch. It can look bad right away, but as it wears over time I think it actually looks nice. The wear patterns give it some personality. But if you want it to look pristine, you will be disappointed.

Do the leather cases from apple seem durable? I feel like the leather would scratch immediately.

I really liked the leather case, but returned it because it just looked kinda worn out after a week. I ended up going with a plain, black Incipio NGP case. I really did like the leather case though. Does anyone feel nervous with the bottom of their phone being exposed?

Top Bottom