• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Tigress

If you read your credit card's agreement statements, that actually makes your card invalid. If you look below or around where you normally sign the back of your card it says "Not valid unless signed." You'd be hard pressed to win any legal matter where you proclaim the signature of your name is "See ID."

In addition, so may retailers here in the USA have swipe-yourself terminals. The clerks rarely, if ever, actually look at the cards now. It still happens, don't get me wrong, but how often does a minimum wage employee actually ask for your card? I didn't have it happen too often when I put my signature plus "See ID" on the back of my cards, so I just stopped.

Hell, my job they told me to stop checking as it wasn't in our policy and none of the other cashiers bothered and it was just confusing the customers. And you will get more flack from the customers for checking signatures and for IDs if it says check ID or isn't signed than you will for not checking. As much as I wanted to check cause I have that myself on the card so I feel like a hypocrite not checking, I'll have to say it has made my job a lot more pleasant cause it reduced 75% of the reasons customers yelled at me. It's amazing how many people get pissed off if you ask them to take 2 seconds to bring out an ID to help prevent thieves from using their cards (people just don't care. I think they just figure the credit card companies will sort it out. I personally would rather not have to hassle with contesting charges in the first place. That to me is a helluva lot more hassle than bringing out an ID).

GAF, help me find a case.

I got the Spigen slim fit all-rubber case, and it's worked great, but I've come to realize that the rubber muffles the vibrating and sometimes I don't notice I miss a call or a text because I don't feel or hear it.

I'm gonna need a hard-shell case. Anyone got one they recommend?

HUELEN10

The ATT-Exclusive Speck Candyshell, hands-down. Here are some pics.
Ot4QxPR.jpg

MbpLcmw.png

SGq1MpL.png

Why the ATT store one? look at the back. That is a black Speck, and not a scratch on it after nearly a month and even dropping it twice. Never have I had a black one that has lasted with that finish for more than a few days. Sadly, the scratch-resistant variant is only at ATT stores.

Talon

Finally got my 6. 64 gigs is pretty glorious.

Also, I couldn't find many official silicone case impressions, but I bit the bullet. Really liking it - reminds me of the Incase Snap (my favorite 5 case) but much nicer due to the felt interior and the grippier feel. Thought about the leather one, but I couldn't stay away from the bondi blue color.

Pros:
-Extremely grippy
-Felt interior is great and should keep the dust out of the back (which was an issue with the Incase Snap)
-Gorgeous color

Cons:
-Bottom lip of the phone is exposed
-You don't get to feel dat smooth edge (but, oh well, this is going to be the case with every case)

I'm curious as to how well the exterior will hold up over time, though.

Got my Plus but something unusual is going on.

You know that revolving browsing icon that appears in the task bar when you are using the internet/data, mine keeps appearing if I open up notifications or sit in the home page though disappears if I'm just on the lock screen. What application is being used or is it just a glitch?

My iPhone 5 doesn't have this problem.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

You know that revolving browsing icon that appears in the task bar when you are using the internet/data, mine keeps appearing if I open up notifications or sit in the home page though disappears if I'm just on the lock screen. What application is being used or is it just a glitch?

Just sounds like a widget refreshing some data.

Dez

It's a glitch. I had the same thing until I restarted my phone.

NYR

Anyone else not using a screen protector this gen?

The fit this year is awful and looks so bad. Think I will just risk it.

LCfiner

I understand cases because they can prevent dings or cracked glass from drops. but screen protectors? they do nothing. the glass on all decent smartphones is crazy tough and has been for years.

Juice

So was I potentially causing harm to my device?

Yes absolutely. Just like a consumer vehicle's engine is tuned for optimum gas efficiency at 55-60mph, apples batteries are apparently optimized to not discharge the last few cells in the "trickle charge" matrix. Use it as normally as possible, meaning charge it when possible.

Snaku

Banned
GAF, help me find a case.

I got the Spigen slim fit all-rubber case, and it's worked great, but I've come to realize that the rubber muffles the vibrating and sometimes I don't notice I miss a call or a text because I don't feel or hear it.

I'm gonna need a hard-shell case. Anyone got one they recommend?

Urban Armor Gear is what you want. Military drop rated. Slim profile. Stylish.

LCfiner

For those using their iPhone naked, how's it holding up? I've been using a Spigen case for mine but I hate how bulky it is.

3 weeks no scratches, no bends (also, no surprise that there hasn’t been a rush of new bending complaints sine that initial hysteria). just like new.

rezuth

So was I potentially causing harm to my device?

Yes, nickel–cadmium battery batteries which was used in the dark days of tech was built around "memory effect" so you had to use and drain it before charging. These new lithium-ion batteries do not like it when you drain them, in fact if you look at the Apple manual it even advises you to charge when the phone tells you to do so. In fact its better to make smaller charges here and there than it is to do long charges.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well shit, apparently I'm getting one (6+) in 5 days...

What do I need to know?

I understand cases because they can prevent dings or cracked glass from drops. but screen protectors? they do nothing. the glass on all decent smartphones is crazy tough and has been for years.

Sorry but this is wrong. The glass does scratch. iPhone 5 glass scratches and so does the 6+.

Day one screen protector.

Vyer

I have been an iphone user since 4 and none, up until now, have ever had hairline scratches as my 6 does now.

I've had one or two very light hairline on any phone I haven't kept a screen protector on. Except the 6, but it's still fairly new of course.

Light hairline can happen without a screen protector if you are a pretty regular user. But I decided that's a trade off I'm willing to make as I keep my devices in pretty excellent condition otherwise. I'd rather the screen be clear of any protector.

Firm believer in cases though. Not foolproof of course but it's definitely kept me from some dents dings and scratches (and possibly cracks) over the years.

Ashes

Banned

If you drop your phone, your screen protector [tempered glass] can take a lot of the impact.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You can never go back.
Sorry, been kinda ignorant about the whole bend-thingy... but will it bend if I keep it in my pocket? Is it a 100% chance or only the minority of the 6+s?

ZeroX03

Banned
Well shit, apparently I'm getting one (6+) in 5 days...

What do I need to know?

That this screen is gorgeous. Things that were once a chore on the smaller iPhone are a breeze to do on a bigger screen. And you'll take a while to acclimate to wielding the sizely beast.

Sorry but this is wrong. The glass does scratch. iPhone 5 glass scratches and so does the 6+.

Day one screen protector.

Must be scratching so lightly it's imperceptible to the human eye on my 5S then.

Sorry, been kinda ignorant about the whole bend-thingy... but will it bend if I keep it in my pocket? Is it a 100% chance or only the minority of the 6+s?

Minority. Don't sit on it or otherwise treat it like shitand you should be okay.

Snaku

Banned
So urban armor or otter box for a slim protective 6+ case? What do people think? Otterbox cases are still unavailable though...

Urban Armor. Much sleeker profile, and military drop rated. Otterbox doesn't rate their cases, probably because they can't pass the tests.

Must be scratching so lightly it's imperceptible to the human eye on my 5S then.

I'm not saying every phone WILL scratch. I'm saying the screen CAN be scratched. Through regular little things despite trying one's best to keep their phone in good condition.

I tend to baby my phones. I don't treat em like shit. But they can scratch.

Minority. Don't sit on it or otherwise treat it like shitand you should be okay.

Agreed. 6+ here and no bendy. And my phone has been in a tight pocket at times.

Yoshichan

Thanks a lot guys. Can't fucking wait.

Oh my god, the thirst for a big phone is real

Nori Chan

No one place has both 64 GB for att either grey or gold. :(

What place would be the fastest to get them if I ordered it and waited for shipping to my house?

Ayumi

Screen protectors make it easier to keep the screen clean. The fingerprints don't stick the same way as on raw screens. At least from my experience.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Screen protectors make it easier to keep the screen clean. The fingerprints don't stick the same way as on raw screens. At least from my experience.
But all you have to do is wipe it off. Maybe use the slightest amount of alcohol to cut the grease.

Mononoke

Banned
I got a spigen case and tried it for a week. Went back to the Apple leather. It's actually thicker protection and just feels much better grip wise. Mind you the Spigen case I got was a thin one. But based on the pics I expected it would be better protection (the material looked sturdier). In the end I preferred the leather case and switched back.

I've still yet to have any warping or bending. I accidentally fell asleep on my 6 + I woke up in a panic thinking it would be bent, but it was fine. I've been rough with this phone (not on purpose) and still no warping or any damage.

Corgi

Banned
yall are crazy not to get glass screen protectors.

modern phones screens are tough, but will still shatter at the right angle. Mentioned a few weeks ago that i saw someone at apple store with his 6 screen completely wrecked, EVEN with a candyshell case on.

glass screen protectors pretty much offer near similar screen clarity and feel, but they also grant your phone's screen a '1up'. tempered glass spiderwebs out, so if you ever drop it. just peel it off, and get another.

Am quite careful of my iphone 5, yet i still had a bad drop on it, and the screen protector saved its ass.

sure the curved screen makes the available screen protectors to look pretty dumb, but you get used to it.

TimFL

Dropped my iPhone 6 face first last week during my visit to the Oktoberfest in Munich. No scratches, just a small chipped part on the top right corner (aluminium chipped, maybe 1.5mm wide, barely visible).

I was quite surprised it survived that drop (should've completely shattered my front panel due to the height it fell from).

Not using a case or screen protector, naked phone.

Deku Tree

Dropped my iPhone 6 face first last week during my visit to the Oktoberfest in Munich. No scratches, just a small chipped part on the top right corner (aluminium chipped, maybe 1.5mm wide, barely visible).

I was quite surprised it survived that drop (should've completely shattered my front panel due to the height it fell from).

Still not gonna get a case?

It is now weaker. Be careful.

Talon

yall are crazy not to get glass screen protectors.

modern phones screens are tough, but will still shatter at the right angle. Mentioned a few weeks ago that i saw someone at apple store with his 6 screen completely wrecked, EVEN with a candyshell case on.

glass screen protectors pretty much offer near similar screen clarity and feel, but they also grant your phone's screen a '1up'. tempered glass spiderwebs out, so if you ever drop it. just peel it off, and get another.

Am quite careful of my iphone 5, yet i still had a bad drop on it, and the screen protector saved its ass.

sure the curved screen makes the available screen protectors to look pretty dumb, but you get used to it.
I've owned iPhones since the 4 and have never had a scratch on the screen or a shattering from a drop. Sold all of them for at least $400 as "Mint" condition.

Screen protectors do diddly.

Mobius 1

Looks nice...but also looks like you have zero protection in a screen-first drop, which would be my primary concern.

There is enough of a lip to keep the glass off the surface if the phone is facing down, but it won't save you from a catastrophic drop at a perfect angle. Which is unlikely to happen, your phone will more likely than not fall at an angle.

I've owned iPhones since the 4 and have never had a scratch on the screen or a shattering from a drop. Sold all of them for at least $400 as "Mint" condition.

Screen protectors do diddly.

Except protect from scratches you'd get when something harder than the glass comes in contact with it. Such as rings.

But no, it does diddly.

Top Bottom