• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Lexxism

Yes and where are you located physically?

I'm in Montreal trying my to get rid of my 64gb plus.

I'm in Toronto. Sorry but I'm just asking and not planning to buy one yet. Thanks for the offer though.

Yes they do sell unlocked ones in store. At least they should. It's possible that those are low in stock, the in store pickup option seems to always disappear first.

Oh, okay. Maybe I'll try to ask in-store. 2-3 weeks seems the shipping online which is damn long if I ever plan to buy one when my contract is over.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
6 mins of the usual twit rambling around. Can you just write out the steps for the tip?

Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. Then without going into a specific saved print or adding a new one, just tap the home button with the already saved print you want to improve. You'll see that print highlight in grey. It actually collects additional print data points while you do this and you can do this as many times and in how many different angles you want (compared to the 10 that is used during original setup).

It all adds up to improved recognition for that print. You can see it working by first trying an extreme angle that will fail, then work your way to that angle afterwards in increments and after that the extreme angle will work first try.

wave that phone

mcdonalds-apple-pay.png

Ninja Dom

How are you using the 128 GB? Mostly music?

I got 128GB in my 6.

I've used half of it up already with my music (1000 songs), some of my existing photo albums (6100 pictures) and 100 videos (a few movies and 3 TV series). Plus I've been an iPhone user for years now so I've also got over 100 of my best apps on there too.

I've now got 61GB free space ready for all of the new content that I'm gonna put on the phone over the course of the next year. Especially that amazing 1080p/60fps video that the 6 records.

I ORDERED THE 6+.

64gb in gold.

Some people I know with them have been returning them, but I have large hands and hold it comfortably.

Very excited for whenever this mf'er finally ships. Tmobile had the 16gb in stock, was tempted to get it to avoid waiting but realized that's way too small.

So in guessing that 16gb isn't really enough is it? My S2 is falling apart and none of the sprint stores have any 64gbs :(

It's really nothing. My iPad has 16GB and I barely have any apps on that and had to dl a bunch of stuff to even upgrade to iOS 8 from the device. It's really really convenient to just have enough space for every occasion.

KingKong

Just got the iPhone 6 and are people using it without a case? I can't wait to get one, this thing wobbles when I set it down and tap the upper left corner

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Look, I know this isn't an iPhone 6 issue but there's the densest amount of people here that can help. I cracked the internal screen of my iPhone 5c. I just ordered a new screen assembly from eBay (hasn't shipped yet) which I'll use to fix it myself. If all I can tell is the screen is cracked is it safe to assume that it's likely that that's the only thing wrong with the phone?
Just got the iPhone 6 and are people using it without a case? I can't wait to get one, this thing wobbles when I set it down and tap the upper left corner
Sounds like you need to wait for some stability updates.

Vyer

Look, I know this isn't an iPhone 6 issue but there's the densest amount of people here that can help. I cracked the internal screen of my iPhone 5c. I just ordered a new screen assembly from eBay (hasn't shipped yet) which I'll use to fix it myself. If all I can tell is the screen is cracked is it safe to assume that it's likely that that's the only thing wrong with the phone?

Sounds like you need to wait for some stability updates.

Usually yeah. If everything else is functioning as far as you can tell then it's just the assembly.

Found a space grey 64 gb 6+ and it is beautiful. Love this thing... Got a skinny case with a clear back from one of those kiosks and it feels like I don't even have a case on it at all. Weird having a battery that lasts all day .

People on this flight have been looking at my plus nonstop.

Also what happens when you gently double tap the home button? The screen drops but what is that for?

When you drop it you'll feel like you don't have a case on it also

Fuck my Walmart still haven't received a 64GB for my carrier (actually, they still haven't received it for any carrier ; still no 6+ either), and I have to get it from there. My plan expires in less than a month. Pretty sure I'm fucked.

daw840

So I shattered the screen on my 5 just now....which is great. What are the chances of me walking into a store tomorrow and just buying a 6+? Are they completely sold out everywhere still?

I ordered my 64GB Gold 6+ from Sprint.com last week. I'm super excited (envious my coworker has her 16GB Gold ATT 6+ already) & was wondering:

Is there any minute possibility (anyone with Sprint.com experience) Sprint sends orders out sooner than their projected 4-6 week backorder? What sort of timeframe should I expect 4-6 weeks to be?

All of the other carriers have projected shipping dates, except Sprint :mad:

Also:

Will the impending China/India launches push the backorder further behind?

I really wish Apple would reduce our backorder times, before conducting launches in other territories. I get it, they're a global brand and all, but 4-6 weeks is a bit unacceptable.

Ironically, I really wanted to originally get the Note Edge, but opted for the 6+ and I have (use) iPhone 5 already - so I stuck with Apple - but this huge delays makes a Note 4 tempting....

Any recommendations for a comic (cbr/cbz) reader for the 6+??
I just downloaded iComix and it's ok so far. I haven't used it much, but it allows you to download the files from dropbox, one drive or google drive.

So what's the best thin case for a 6 Plus?

I'm looking at Spigen again (my 5 is in a Spigen case).
I got a plain black Incipio NGP from Amazon. It's the same case I had on my iPhone 5. I may check out the DualPro though. Amazon has a generic pic of the cases, so you can check here.

wihio

Any recommendations for a comic (cbr/cbz) reader for the 6+??
Been using Comic Glass for a year or so primarily with my iPad but have also used it on the iPhone 6. I like it better than comic zeal, but I guess it's a Pepsi vs coke thing. Bottom line, it works well, has decent organizational features and some sync capabilities that I never used. It is updated for 6/6+ and iOS 8, so it's got that going for it, too.

Dumb question.

I have T-Mobile. I have a Plus ordered through them, but if I get a T-Mobile phone at an Apple store or some other source, all I have to do is exchange the SIM cards and I'll be good to go? I'd like to avoid talking to T-Mo customer service if at all possible.

mollipen

I can already do that nearly everywhere with my debit and credit cards.

But w/e.

Supposedly the Apple Pay way will provide a unique credit card number per transaction, instead of just giving your main credit card number every time.

If that is indeed the case, it's a way better system. (Unless NFC cards do the same and I don't know that.)

Two Words

This thread makes me feel so lucky. On the first day of my upgrade option being available, October 1st, I just walked into an Apple Store and got my 128 GB 6 Plus after waiting in line for a half hour.

KingGondo

Banned
Gave up on finding a Space Gray 64/128GB AT&T device in stores.

Went ahead and switched to T-Mobile with my wife. They offered great trade-in-value, plus they're paying her early termination fee. Also, screw AT&T and their exploitative practices ($40 "activation fees" and charging for services their customers didn't order).

Her 16GB Silver will be here next week, and mine should arrive in November.

I bought a Iphone 6 64gb today. I'm now in the proces of installing my back up.

It also asked me to install 8.0.2. Is it safe? I have not installed it yet on my Ipad mini.

riotous

Banned
Supposedly the Apple Pay way will provide a unique credit card number per transaction, instead of just giving your main credit card number every time.

If that is indeed the case, it's a way better system. (Unless NFC cards do the same and I don't know that.)

I really don't think Apple Pay has any special tech.

It's compatible with the main tech agreed upon by Visa/MC/Europay. Hence why it's instantly available at so many locations.

I can already do that nearly everywhere with my debit and credit cards.

But w/e.

Yes but your credit card basically dumps everything you need to make a clone of your credit card onto the reader in a convenient form ready to be stolen from a huge treasure trove of credit card numbers stored in databases secured by idiots.

I really don't think Apple Pay has any special tech.

It's compatible with the main tech agreed upon by Visa/MC/Europay. Hence why it's instantly available at so many locations.

It uses tokenization which is a fairly recent update to the EMVCo set of standards. A lot of the pin pads around will need a software update to support the new protocols but that's about it. The NFC stuff is all bog standard kit though.

TimFL

Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. Then without going into a specific saved print or adding a new one, just tap the home button with the already saved print you want to improve. You'll see that print highlight in grey. It actually collects additional print data points while you do this and you can do this as many times and in how many different angles you want (compared to the 10 that is used during original setup).

It all adds up to improved recognition for that print. You can see it working by first trying an extreme angle that will fail, then work your way to that angle afterwards in increments and after that the extreme angle will work first try.

It's funny how it detects my finger in an extreme angle in the Touch-ID menu but refuses to unlock right after that using the same angle. I just spent 30 minutes calibrating the heck out of all my registered fingers and it's still not working when I try to unlock it at an awkward angle one-handed (even though that exact position/angle my finger is at was successfully registered multiple times).

Branson

So I got an email about my updated shipping for my 6 plus. It only refers to the phone as an iPhone 6. It's probably nothing to be worried about but I thought I'd check on here and ask to be sure. It's a " were working on your order" email.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Somehow my charger fell out or got loose while I was asleep with Sleep Cycle on, and when I woke up my phone was rocket hot.

Any worries of permanent damage having been done?

Tabris

Man the health kit API is garbage with the iPhone6. There's a known issue where your dashboard clears and data is inaccessible until you close the app, restart your phone, and start it again. Apparently only happens with the iPhone6 when you are tracking your steps with other apps.

Are there any chat apps that have been optimized for iPhone 6/6+?

Man the health kit API is garbage with the iPhone6. There's a known issue where your dashboard clears and data is inaccessible until you close the app, restart your phone, and start it again. Apparently only happens with the iPhone6 when you are tracking your steps with other apps.

Sounds like iOS 8 alright...

Peterthumpa

Is the T-Mobile option the only one factory unlocked? Can I buy a non-CDMA iPhone 6 from other carriers (like AT&T or other GSM ones) and ask for a unlock?
PS.: Heard that the Verizon one is factory unlocked, is that true?

Pastry

Banned
So I got an email about my updated shipping for my 6 plus. It only refers to the phone as an iPhone 6. It's probably nothing to be worried about but I thought I'd check on here and ask to be sure. It's a " were working on your order" email.

I got the exact same e-mail last week. Referred to my 6+ as a 6, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Sean

Banned

Had this happen 2 or 3 times already, it's very annoying.

It still counts the data in Health and other apps can still read that data just fine, you just can't see actually see anything in the Health app until rebooting the phone. It sounds like a lot of bugs with the health app are being fixed in iOS 8.1.

Top Bottom