• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

BSsBrolly

Banned
I haven't used screen protectors since the iPhone 3G. Never had a scratch on any of my phones. I do use (and always have) a case though...

I'll get a protector when they stop looking so horrible on the 6. All that sleek Apple design deformed by the screen protectors and Apple's choice of a curved design.

Hoping someone will manufacture a full frame/curved design.

DedValve

Banned
They need to either develop a phone thats durable as fuck (nokia lumias where great at this) or develop it with cases in mind.

So many beautiful phone designs and all that thinness means shit when you want a put a case on it for accidental drops.

As has been said 1000 times, screen protectors are garbage in this day and age. Not worth compromising the clarity and respinsiveness of your screen 24-7 for the extremely rare chance it'll scratch. All imo of course.

I'll add to the Speck Candyshell recommendations. Phone feels incredible with it on and it provides significant protection without adding a ton of bulk. Well worth the $35.

outsidah

Dropped my iPhone 6 face first last week during my visit to the Oktoberfest in Munich. No scratches, just a small chipped part on the top right corner (aluminium chipped, maybe 1.5mm wide, barely visible).

I was quite surprised it survived that drop (should've completely shattered my front panel due to the height it fell from).

Not using a case or screen protector, naked phone.

Obviously the phone being made well helps, but something I've learned through the years is that it's not always the distance, but just the way the damn thing falls sometimes. I've had few accidents fortunately, but some very minor falls have yielded some disastrous results.

Still not gonna get a case?

Not the OP but a phone w/o the case is just so much better. I've had the falls happen and I still don't have a case. The devices just feel SO much better in your hand, the way they were meant to feel.

I've owned iPhones since the 4 and have never had a scratch on the screen or a shattering from a drop. Sold all of them for at least $400 as "Mint" condition.

Screen protectors do diddly.

Lucky! Most drops leave some kind of signature.

As has been said 1000 times, screen protectors are garbage in this day and age. Not worth compromising the clarity and respinsiveness of your screen 24-7 for the extremely rare chance it'll scratch. All imo of course.

I strayed from these as well but I can't really say they don't do ANYTHING.. they at least help with those fine scratches your phone can get sometimes from your pocket. I try to use sleeves now to prevent this.

Yep. Had multiple iPhones naked - all sold for mint after a year. Get to feel and use it like intended every day. Y'all crazy covering up these masterpieces with the monstrosities people are posting.

Mononoke

Banned
I've owned iPhones since the 4 and have never had a scratch on the screen or a shattering from a drop. Sold all of them for at least $400 as "Mint" condition.

Screen protectors do diddly.

Yeah same here. I've never had a screen protector on any of my devices (including gaming devices), and have never had a scratch. So....

I actually hate the way screen protectors look and feel. And on a phone like the 6 + where the big screen realty is the selling point, I find it bizarre putting on a film/protection over it.

outsidah

Yep. Had multiple iPhones naked - all sold for mint after a year. Get to feel and use it like intended every day. Y'all crazy covering up these masterpieces with the monstrosities people are posting.

To be fair, some people have jobs/tasks that require more protection for their devices, some people are just too clumsy and some people just prefer some extra safety for their investment which I can understand.

Most are horrible though, so agree on that.

Yeah same here. I've never had a screen protector on any of my devices (including gaming devices), and have never had a scratch. So....

I actually hate the way screen protectors look and feel. And on a phone like the 6 + where the big screen realty is the selling point, I find it bizarre putting on a film/protection over it.

The iPhone 6+ isn't the first "big screen" device. Plenty of people use screen protectors on large phones.

Safari on a 6+ keeps remembering old pages when I launch back into it, takes a second to refresh to the actual page that it was looking at. Kind of annoying?

Mononoke

Banned
To be fair, some people have jobs/tasks that require more protection for their devices, some people are just too clumsy and some people just prefer some extra safety for their investment which I can understand.

Most are horrible though, so agree on that.

The iPhone 6+ isn't the first "big screen" device. Plenty of people use screen protectors on large phones.

I never said it was the first big screen device? I'm just saying the 6 + selling point is this massive screen. So I don't understand putting an extra film over it. But that's just a personal preference thing. I personally hate the way screen protectors look and feel on screens. Obviously that is not the case for everyone.

If you don't feel that, then by all means use a protector. But I was just responding to t hat one person. I've had plenty of big screen devices, and have carried them around. I've never once had a scratch on my screen (and I'm pretty rough with my stuff. ie. pulling them in and out of my jean pocket. Carrying them around loosely in bags when traveling). Scratches have just never been a thing for me.

outsidah

I never said it was the first big screen device? I'm just saying the 6 + selling point is this massive screen. So I don't understand putting an extra film over it. But that's just a personal preference thing. I personally hate the way screen protectors look and feel on screens. Obviously that is not the case for everyone.

If you don't feel that, then by all means use a protector. But I was just responding to t hat one person. I've had plenty of big screen devices, and have carried them around. I've never once had a scratch on my screen (and I'm pretty rough with my stuff. ie. pulling them in and out of my jean pocket. Carrying them around loosely in bags when traveling). Scratches have just never been a thing for me.

No, I don't care for them honestly.

You mentioned that you found it bizarre to put a screen protector on it since one of it's main selling points is the large screen, but that's the same argument for the Note series or what have you. People just worry more about it I suppose since it is such a large screen so I guess it buys them peace of mind. I get what you mean though.

Unrelated note... has anyone tried this thing on the 6+: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDHBDVM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks like it's going to be a little short and maybe a little thicker but I am looking for something to get right away until my SENA slip gets here.

KingKong

Speaking of cases, is there any real difference between the 'standard' (cover the back and sides, lip on the front) ones?

I'm going to go to the AT&T store to trade my old one in once I get this one and I was gonna buy a case there but it seems that they don't have the official Apple ones in stock

the leather one does ship within 24 hours from Apple.com though, so if that one really is worth it I'd rather wait a day or two for it than get another one

tmdorsey

I think alot of people are mistaking scratches on the screen with scratches on the oleophobic coating that cover the screen. Isn't that used on the 6?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Found a space grey 64 gb 6+ and it is beautiful. Love this thing... Got a skinny case with a clear back from one of those kiosks and it feels like I don't even have a case on it at all. Weird having a battery that lasts all day .

People on this flight have been looking at my plus nonstop.

Also what happens when you gently double tap the home button? The screen drops but what is that for?

ZeroX03

Banned
Found a space grey 64 gb 6+ and it is beautiful. Love this thing... Got a skinny case with a clear back from one of those kiosks and it feels like I don't even have a case on it at all. Weird having a battery that lasts all day .

People on this flight have been looking at my plus nonstop.

Weird having a battery that lasts three days with light use for me! Nobody ever looks at my Plus though.

scogoth

yall are crazy not to get glass screen protectors.

modern phones screens are tough, but will still shatter at the right angle. Mentioned a few weeks ago that i saw someone at apple store with his 6 screen completely wrecked, EVEN with a candyshell case on.

glass screen protectors pretty much offer near similar screen clarity and feel, but they also grant your phone's screen a '1up'. tempered glass spiderwebs out, so if you ever drop it. just peel it off, and get another.

Am quite careful of my iphone 5, yet i still had a bad drop on it, and the screen protector saved its ass.

sure the curved screen makes the available screen protectors to look pretty dumb, but you get used to it.

Or, you know, don't drop your phone.

knitoe

Have you use a glass protector? The feel, clarity and responsiveness are exactly like the naked screen. I dropped my iphones often, but only the glass protectors have chipped / cracked. $10 later, like it never happen. Now, the those crappy plastic protectors are another matter.

ZeroX03

Banned
regular updates already in the development pipeline and devs not willing to quickly add support just for bullet points instead of doing it right the first time?

And/Or because there's been a massive queue for devs to have their apps approved, so things they submitted last month are only getting pushed through now.

I think the Apple made cases are great because they add little to the bulk of the device, while also giving you some protection. I think screen protectors are lol worthy. The screens are very durable. Just keep sharp things out of the same pocket with them.

I think the Apple made cases are great because they add little to the bulk of the device, while also giving you some protection. I think screen protectors are lol worthy. The screens are very durable. Just keep sharp things out of the same pocket with them.
I agree. I really like my leather Apple case. Wonderful feel, very thin.

Btw, what's up with apps updating and not including iPhone 6/6+ resolution support?
personal antidote: I've got a few apps, and looking at rebuilding then is going to take sometime. Depending on how old your code base goes, some of the 6/6+ changes are pretty extensive.
And/Or because there's been a massive queue for devs to have their apps approved, so things they submitted last month are only getting pushed through now.
Was the case, not anymore. It looks like the current turnaround time is closer back to 7 days for updates.

What's concerning is that the adoption rate isn't as high, which slows the rush. Things like needing to switch over to the new SDK (it was still possible upto a month ago to be shopping under the old one), means some people may be overhauling a lot of stuff to get it running.

Ninja Dom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeu27VCe6Ww

Saw Porter Robinson in concert weeks ago, captured some video and threw it up on youtube.

its 1080/60

What method are you using to upload to YouTube in 1080/60? Through iMovie or through YouTube app or exporting to computer then upload?

Edit: also the ironic thing is that your video doesn't play in the YouTube app on my iPhone 6. I have to copy the link, put it into the search on my McTube app to get it to play. And even then I don't think it's playing at 1080/60.

sethbot

The ATT-Exclusive Speck Candyshell, hands-down. Here are some pics.
Ot4QxPR.jpg

MbpLcmw.png

SGq1MpL.png

Why the ATT store one? look at the back. That is a black Speck, and not a scratch on it after nearly a month and even dropping it twice. Never have I had a black one that has lasted with that finish for more than a few days. Sadly, the scratch-resistant variant is only at ATT stores.
That's a really cool wallpaper, where did you find it?

HUELEN10

That's a really cool wallpaper, where did you find it?
Sized it myself. Don't know if I have the original image or source, but it's one of my favs; I'll post the original if I find it.
iZAJxYP.jpg

Only use it if you know what it is/where it's from, for obvious reasons.

sethbot

Sized it myself. Don't know if I have the original image or source, but it's one of my favs; I'll post the original if I find it.

Only use it if you know what it is/where it's from, for obvious reasons.

Thanks! I don't have any interest in the show, but I think the wallpaper is a cool piece of art nonetheless.

Dany

Banned
What method are you using to upload to YouTube in 1080/60? Through iMovie or through YouTube app or exporting to computer then upload?

Edit: also the ironic thing is that your video doesn't play in the YouTube app on my iPhone 6. I have to copy the link, put it into the search on my McTube app to get it to play. And even then I don't think it's playing at 1080/60.

I simply dragged and dropped it into my browser :)

the videos work on my phone and are 60, how odd.

RoKKeR

Alright so this is new. Today at totally random times my phone would pop up with a notification saying "No SIM card installed". What the fuck? I only get cell service SOMETIMES upon restarting the phone, and it's now messed up/decoupled my iMessage accounts and everything.

Any idea what is going on here? I have never seen this before.

Dany

Banned
I had that on the iphone 4 where the sim card isn't secured in the tray. open the sim slot and make sure its fastened and wahtnot.

ZeroX03

Banned

Yeah it isn't 60fps for me. As far as I can tell the full 60fps roll out hasn't happened completely for YT yet, only a select few videos are and on the HTML5 player on Chrome.

Just uploaded two 60fps videos, one from the iPhone another from my capture card. Will wait and an hour for them to process and see if either plays back at 60fps but I doubt it.

toohectic

Alright so this is new. Today at totally random times my phone would pop up with a notification saying "No SIM card installed". What the fuck? I only get cell service SOMETIMES upon restarting the phone, and it's now messed up/decoupled my iMessage accounts and everything.

Any idea what is going on here? I have never seen this before.

Sounds like a bad SIM card, or an intermittent connection. Try removing and reinserting it, and if that doesn't work, get a replacement SIM card from your carrier.

RoKKeR

Alright I'll try removing it. I did drop the phone quite hard today which could have jiggled it around.

Edit: Alright upon restart things look good for now... also taking out the SIM forced me to remove the Apple leather case I've had on the phone since day one... god damn I forgot how sexy this phone is.

Corgi

Banned
Or, you know, don't drop your phone.

if i had 100% control of everything that happens in my life and the world around me and gravity, sure!

But alas, i don't. and i like having my $850 phone protected somewhat, especially one that isn't the easiest phone to grip naked.

shitty film screen protectors i get, but i see zero reason not to get tampered glass protectors on any portable stuff. pretty much near zero image quality reduction and the touch feel is as good or better than the naked screen (for vita especially), with the only con is slightly thicker phone and for it not looking seemless on these curvy screen phones.

Alright I'll try removing it. I did drop the phone quite hard today which could have jiggled it around.

Edit: Alright upon restart things look good for now... also taking out the SIM forced me to remove the Apple leather case I've had on the phone since day one... god damn I forgot how sexy this phone is.

The apple cases are sexy but I couldn't put a case on my phone it's just so much sexier. My phone did slip out of my shorts pocket today and only got a mirco scratch but I feel like my phone was just run over by a Mack truck.

Canada-GAF

Do Apple only sell unlocked iphone through online? They don't sell one in-store?
Yes they do sell unlocked ones in store. At least they should. It's possible that those are low in stock, the in store pickup option seems to always disappear first.

Top Bottom