• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

lupin23rd

So in a hypothetical scenario where a phone has fallen in the toilet what is the best way to disinfect it?

I don't want to feel any guilt when I sell my year old 5s to fund a new phone

ciD_Vain

Happy to help, I've been pre-ordering iPhones every year ever since the iPhone 4. First, pre-orders start at 12 AM PST, so jot that down and find out what time that is on your time zone and be ready. I used to wake up 30 mins before they start the pre-orders but over the years 10-15 Mins is enough. Have three tabs open, one is for the Apple.com website, the second is for your carrier, and the third one is for forums where you can follow other apple fans trying to pre-order the iPhone too (I follow MacRumors). The last one is very important because it can help you troubleshoot issues you might run in to.

Nice thanks for this! How long until they sell out on apple.com usually?

Dany

Banned
I don't use internet browsers on my phone, but I can fast-app switch between the most recent 14 apps without need to reload an app (2 of those being games). Granted they're not all memory hogs, but it's still pretty decent.

That said, bring on 64GB of RAM (to go with 64GB of storage). I'd pay a premium to fast app switch between every app on my phone if it were an option.

Having multiple tabs in any browser, ipad or iphone causes it to reload constantly.

Mononoke

Banned
Question for those that have done pre orders through apple before. I have a family member that wants to pre order but doesn't have a line yet. So they will be making a new contract line for the phone. Can she not apply for the pre order on apple.com?

I know that you plug in your phone number and Apple checks if you are eligible for an upgrade. However what if you are going to create a new line and don't have a number yet. Can you do that checking out in the pre order? Or is it only for people with existing lines that are legible for an upgrade?

I'd tell her to just open the line up now. But I don't think the carrier allows you to open a line/ # without a phone attached to it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Perform worse and look worse; 6 Plus has a more dense, higher res, yet crappier screen contrast-wise.

IIRC, contrast numbers are the least important things in monitors/screens in the sense that there's no standard to them. Plus it's like the tiniest different. It's not like 300:1 vs 2000:1. For all you know, the different may not even be visible.

Performance is also questionable. On paper it will perform worse, sure, but in reality? Probably not. That is assuming the specs aren't altered at all for the Plus.

Movies? They'll run at the same 30/60fps. Internet pages? Will load at the same speed. Games? If they run on the 5S fine, they'll run on the 6 Plus just the same. How many games will baseline a 6 in the next two years? Maybe 2 if you're lucky? So I don't expect performance to be any worse myself.

Having multiple tabs in any browser, ipad or iphone causes it to reload constantly.

So I hear... good thing for me I use browsers on a phone for about like a total of 30 minutes over the course of two years.

HUELEN10

So, I did the math...

I am 116 USD short of a 64 GB T-Mobile iPhone 6.

What are my options? T-Mo says my credit is excellent and I qualify for interest-free financing with no penalties for early payment, so I could pay what I have and then pay 5 bucks a month or so for 2 years (or just pay it all at the end of next month or so), but every store I've been to says that they either get limited or no supply on non-baseline models.

Anyone get a non-baseline 5S at a T-Mo store on launch day?

My other options is Apple's Barclay Card, but I don't want to have to open a credit card I'm only gonna use once.

Any other options? What would you do if you were only short by a small amount you could responsibly pay soon. I really need this thing ASAP, this 3GS I am borrowing is on its last legs!

Nice thanks for this! How long until they sell out on apple.com usually?

Usually within 1-3 hours, the most popular models sell quick and you're already in the backordered queue if you don't order in time. You can still order these, but don't expect them on the 19th, maybe a week from that day or two weeks.

An example would be the Gold iPhone 5s, it got backordered within minutes. This was only because of supply constraints though.

If you're planning to get the higher tier models, you have a bigger time frame, but do expect some colors to start getting backordered within 6-12 hours.

Don't fret though, if Apple runs out of stock on the model you want, check the carrier website. Their traffic isn't as busy and you can probably get the model you want, but don't expect them to last long either. The problem with carrier sites is that it might not tell you right away that it's backordered. You might have to rely on other members posting their results to know for sure.

samn

I'm noticing MUCH less tab refreshing on my iPad mini retina on iOS 8 GM.

Perhaps 2GB of RAM on the iPhone 6 isn't that necessary after all?

So, I did the math...

What are my options? T-Mo says my credit is excellent and I qualify for interest-free financing with no penalties for early payment, so I could pay what I have and then pay 5 bucks a month or so for 2 years (or just pay it all at the end of next month or so), but every store I've been to says that they either get limited or no supply on non-baseline models.

My other options is Apple's Barclay Card, but I don't want to have to open a credit card I'm only gonna use once.

Any other options? What would you do if you were only short by a small amount you could responsibly pay soon. I really need this thing ASAP, this 3GS I am borrowing is on its last legs!

If money is tight, I'd never advise you to go for this phone. Save it up, man.

Does anyone know if I can just purchase a T-Mobile iPhone from the Apple webstore, and bring it into a T-Mobile to activate/switch contracts?

HUELEN10

Does anyone know if I can just purchase a T-Mobile iPhone from the Apple webstore, and bring it into a T-Mobile to activate/switch contracts?
Money is tight for this right now, money otherwise is fine. I also need to get my money's worth for my cell plan by getting hardware that can put that plan to use to its fullest.

SeanR1221

Ok, I'm definitely doing AT&T next now.

My brother changed our plan, so I only have to pay 30.00 a month for talk, text and data (10GB split between 5 people) and then my next fees for the 64GB 6+ which would be 42.50 a month.

So can you pre order at AT&T and pickup in store?

subrock

So how long until iPhone has Force Touch and Taptic engine? iPhone 7 in 2016?
I was thinking that the digital touch feature will be able to interact with an iPhone at some point too. The taptic engine doesn't really make sense on a phone though since it's not guaranteed that the right part of the phone will be touching your skin.

MXRider

Does anyone know how the preorders and trade ins work?

Do preorders only come in the mail? How would I pick it up in store?

How do I trade in my iPhone 4 towards a 6?

I was thinking that the digital touch feature will be able to interact with an iPhone at some point too. The taptic engine doesn't really make sense on a phone though since it's not guaranteed that the right part of the phone will be touching your skin.

What? Plenty of phones have heptic feedback, I'm typing this on a phone with heptic feedback.

Question for those that have done pre orders through apple before. I have a family member that wants to pre order but doesn't have a line yet. So they will be making a new contract line for the phone. Can she not apply for the pre order on apple.com?

I know that you plug in your phone number and Apple checks if you are eligible for an upgrade. However what if you are going to create a new line and don't have a number yet. Can you do that checking out in the pre order? Or is it only for people with existing lines that are legible for an upgrade?

I'd tell her to just open the line up now. But I don't think the carrier allows you to open a line/ # without a phone attached to it.

If she's adding a new line to a family plan, it's possible. She just needs the information from the primary line number.

If she's making a new line on her own, I don't think Apple.com would be a good option. She should try the carrier store she's planning on using.

Or, if she's planning to get the unlocked version, she can do it on Apple.com, but like I mentioned earlier, I have no idea how that process goes.

kaskade

Well I chatted with verizon and they said I'll be able I preorder as a new customer Friday with a single line plan (60 bucks). Now I just have to stay up until 3 am tomorrow night.

kneePat

It's harder than Gorilla Glass, stronger than steel, and completely transparent.

It's just expensive as hell right now.

He's right though, it's extremely brittle so it does shatter more easily. Combine that with a 2.5D screen and if you drop it you are almost certainly fucked.

Also 'stronger than steel' is a misnomer and not a good way to describe it... e.g. it may have a higher tensile strength but it may be worse in other loading conditions etc.

Servbot24

Banned
Damn, how you people getting such good monthly rates. I pay 90/mo on Sprint for unlimited everything, but I only care about having unlimited data. Everything unlimited is the only iPhone plan they have though.

How does verizon and at&t handle roaming data? I have sprint sero so it's been free, but I don't know how the other carriers handle it these days or if everything is free now

kneePat

You don't have to be contractually eligible for an upgrade to take advantage of the deal.

Yes, you can trade in your 5c, but your contract will stack to three full years.

I don't think this is quite right... you need to qualify for subsidized pricing if you are already a Verizon customer, because they are giving you a 200$ gift card, NOT a free iPhone.

edit: Check here to see if you're eligible for an upgrade http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/eligible-upgrade

Squalor

I don't think this is quite right... you need to qualify for subsidized pricing if you are already a Verizon customer, because they are giving you a 200$ gift card, NOT a free iPhone.
If it's anything like last year, which the literature implies, you don't need to be contractually eligible for an upgrade.

ciD_Vain

Usually within 1-3 hours, the most popular models sell quick and you're already in the backordered queue if you don't order in time. You can still order these, but don't expect them on the 19th, maybe a week from that day or two weeks.

An example would be the Gold iPhone 5s, it got backordered within minutes. This was only because of supply constraints though.

If you're planning to get the higher tier models, you have a bigger time frame, but do expect some colors to start getting backordered within 6-12 hours.

Don't fret though, if Apple runs out of stock on the model you want, check the carrier website. Their traffic isn't as busy and you can probably get the model you want, but don't expect them to last long either. The problem with carrier sites is that it might not tell you right away that it's backordered. You might have to rely on other members posting their results to know for sure.
Good to know! I'm struggling which color to get. I love my Gold 5s but I'm starting to dislike the white front. The black front on the Space Grey looks so much nicer to me.

Mononoke

Banned
If she's adding a new line to a family plan, it's possible. She just needs the information from the primary line number.

If she's making a new line on her own, I don't think Apple.com would be a good option. She should try the carrier store she's planning on using.

Or, if she's planning to get the unlocked version, she can do it on Apple.com, but like I mentioned earlier, I have no idea how that process goes.

She's using our family plan. So basically the night pre orders go up she can add a line to get the phone? She just needs my parents account number and password? I'm assuming when you check out they will have an option to add a line to an existing account option at the check out. Then you will have the option to enter the primary account number etc.

And yeah if apple.com fails then she'll try Sprint for pre-orders. I think their site is also doing a midnight pre order. Or at least they are doing a 9am in store on the 12th. I just figured Apple would have the most stock and would be an easier chance of getting one. Although maybe that is wrong.

Damn, how you people getting such good monthly rates. I pay 90/mo on Sprint for unlimited everything, but I only care about having unlimited data. Everything unlimited is the only iPhone plan they have though.

You should check with Sprint for new plans. They just announced an Unlimited Everything plan for $50. I believe my girlfriend is switching to that when she gets her iPhone 6.

She's using our family plan. So basically the night pre orders go up she can add a line to get the phone? She just needs my parents account number and password? I'm assuming when you check out they will have an option to add a line to an existing account option at the check out. Then you will have the option to enter the primary account number etc.

And yeah if apple.com fails then she'll try Sprint for pre-orders. I think their site is also doing a midnight pre order. Or at least they are doing a 9am in store on the 12th. I just figured Apple would have the most stock and would be an easier chance of getting one. Although maybe that is wrong.

Try to order a 5s on the site right now through on Apple.com. See what information you'll need and ask for it. I'm sure the process will be very similar for pre-orders this Friday.

So, I did the math...

I know some uhh stuff about Tmo, and I'm not frontline. So only the highest volume stores will carry pass 16gb, and usually not in launch day.

I can update with more info if I hear anything. This is shareable information anyways.

Yes, BYOD (bring your own device) is encouraged for customers.

Dany

Banned
Yeah it does. I'll have multiple tabs of apple.com and att.com open on all my devices

Phones will arrive on the 19th if I place my preorder quickly enough?

Top Bottom