• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Ninja Dom

Are there any chat apps that have been optimized for iPhone 6/6+?

iMessage My favourite chat app on iOS. And almost the most important feature of the iPhone to me

• Integrates with the OS of the phone superbly
    Delivery and Read Reports. Notice of the other person typing
    Send pics, videos, voice notes
    No compressing of images and stripping out EXIF data (So important to me, a quick way to send your photos in their native res)
    Minimal compressing of videos. Compresses higher rate videos down to 720p/30fps
    Group functionality
    Location functionality
    Desktop version on OS X
    Integrates with all of your iOS/OSX devices, send/reply to conversations from either

But yes - iOS/OSX to iOS/OSX only.

Other than that...no other chat apps are updated. I also have WhatsApp, Tango, Skype, Viber and Blackberry Messenger and none of them are updated.

Fjolle

Man the health kit API is garbage with the iPhone6. There's a known issue where your dashboard clears and data is inaccessible until you close the app, restart your phone, and start it again. Apparently only happens with the iPhone6 when you are tracking your steps with other apps.

Also it tracks cycling as walking.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's funny how it detects my finger in an extreme angle in the Touch-ID menu but refuses to unlock right after that using the same angle. I just spent 30 minutes calibrating the heck out of all my registered fingers and it's still not working when I try to unlock it at an awkward angle one-handed (even though that exact position/angle my finger is at was successfully registered multiple times).
YMMV I suppose, mine's greatly improved at odd angles after having spent some time with it.

MRSA

Banned
Is the T-Mobile option the only one factory unlocked? Can I buy a non-CDMA iPhone 6 from other carriers (like AT&T or other GSM ones) and ask for a unlock?
PS.: Heard that the Verizon one is factory unlocked, is that true?

T-Mobile option from Apple is factory unlocked, if you get it from T-Mobile it'll be locked. Verizon is federally mandated to have all their LTE devices unlocked.

kaskade

Snapchat update, but not optimized for the 6/6+. It's such a simple UI I don't see why it's so late.

Then again I'm not a programmer so it could be way more difficult than I imagine.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Snapchat update, but not optimized for the 6/6+. It's such a simple UI I don't see why it's so late.

Then again I'm not a programmer so it could be way more difficult than I imagine.

Pretty much none of my apps have been updated. It's really quite annoying. The 6+ is basically the "blown up UI" phone right now.

RkOwnage

Need optimized Facebook,Spotify, Instagram and Playstation app...

surprised most are still not fixed....sigh, the apps are so ugly blown up.

Need optimized Facebook,Spotify, Instagram and Playstation app...

surprised most are still not fixed....sigh, the apps are so ugly blown up.

Seriously, a damn month to update the resolution? That's not counting the fact everyone knew the resolutions weeks before it was announced

toohectic

Argh, when are these things (standard 6) ever going to be in stock? I feel like I should just order online and wait the 7-10 days since that seems like it would surely be faster than waiting for local supply to show up. Especially with all these new countries coming online every week, my efforts seem futile. Are they meeting the 7-10 day estimated shipping for normal 6s?

ZeroX03

Banned
Been using Comic Glass for a year or so primarily with my iPad but have also used it on the iPhone 6. I like it better than comic zeal, but I guess it's a Pepsi vs coke thing. Bottom line, it works well, has decent organizational features and some sync capabilities that I never used. It is updated for 6/6+ and iOS 8, so it's got that going for it, too.

Just downloaded this and it's working well. No lag, crisp and clear on the 6 Plus (I still zoom a little but not much) and folders for organization.

CraigMcD

Seriously, a damn month to update the resolution? That's not counting the fact everyone knew the resolutions weeks before it was announced
Gruber worked out what the resolutions were going to be, but it was an educated guess. No one actually knew before the conference as far as I know.

JayDub

Currently have the Note 4 and the iPhone 6 Plus (trying to decide which one to keep).

Very disappointed in the Note 4's camera relative to the iPhone 6 Plus. iPhone focuses unbelievably fast, literally almost imperceptible. It takes a good 2-3 seconds before the Note focuses.

Here's a fairly low-light picture (low light living room, night). Stock settings on both. Just took it out and shot. I was also doing a slight shake with my iPhone 6 Plus as I was trying to press the shutter button with a thick case on (not easy with one hand).

Note 4

4rocsQ7.jpg

iPhone 6 Plus

The iPhone 6 Plus blows the Note 4 away. Focus is way fast. OIS is awesome. The Note really struggles when you have any movement while taking the pic, as it takes a bit to focus.

JayDub

Another example. This time, "macro" shots.

Hot damn did the Note 4 have a hard time focusing for all my macro shots. This one, when it finally focused (6 attempts), I had to stay absolutely still as the focus kept disengaging and focusing on the background. It also had this weird effect where the middle of my leg was blurry/out of focus.

The iPhone 6 Plus, focused on my leg immediately.

gsrjedi

Anybody tried either the 6 or 6 Plus with Marvel a Unlimited yet? I can just about read a full page on my 5 & I'm starting to lean towards the Plus since I'm thinking I could read on it without zooming constantly

With 1password, box, and most apple apps already being updated, I'm satisfied for now with my 6plus. The only problem is youtube currently, but that app is shit to begin with on iOS.

If McTube and Netflix get updated this month, I won't really care about the other stuff. (Or at least I can easily tolerate the slow update time.)

Another example. This time, "macro" shots.

Hot damn did the Note 4 have a hard time focusing for all my macro shots. This one, when it finally focused (6 attempts), I had to stay absolutely still as the focus kept disengaging and focusing on the background. It also had this weird effect where the middle of my leg was blurry/out of focus.

The iPhone 6 Plus, focused on my leg immediately.

Those pics are NSFW, spoiler them

As someone who has updated his own app, it's not. Maybe for something potentially super complex like Facebook, but it's not necessarily that difficult.

hoss

Argh, when are these things (standard 6) ever going to be in stock? I feel like I should just order online and wait the 7-10 days since that seems like it would surely be faster than waiting for local supply to show up. Especially with all these new countries coming online every week, my efforts seem futile. Are they meeting the 7-10 day estimated shipping for normal 6s?

I've ordered two separate standard 6's from the Apple online store, the T-Mobile version. Both shipped within a day of placing the order. The first arrived less than a week later directly from China and the second, which I ordered on Monday of this week is scheduled to arrive this coming Monday.

As someone who has updated his own app, it's not. Maybe for something potentially super complex like Facebook, but it's not necessarily that difficult.
It's definitely not, but who knows what legacy code is peeling in the background. I know for a few things I wanted to do for a few apps I had, both last built on the iOS6 SDK (so it supports the 4.0" screen), but even then I realized I've got a mess of code to cleanup and things to fully check through to get it working.

I remember apps got updated quite quickly for the iPhone 5 resolution
Less work during that change. Let's suppose you had an iPhone/pod only app, at that time, you had two splash screens (480x320 and 960x640), 5 introduced 1 additional screen (1136x640); this time around, you have 2 new ones to deal with and all the new icon sizes (search, spotlight, apps), oh, and if you're doing menu driven stuff, users might even ask why you're not using the 6 plus's landscape mode.

Of course apple did also include new ways to cleaning this all up (thankfully I can now get rid of static images and use just a xib), but that's an entirely different setup to deal with again.

Garryk

Pulled the trigger on a 64GB 6 last night. Is that 7-10 days to ship on Apple's site pretty accurate, or should I expect a longer wait?

I got the 6, silver 64gb. Really great so far. Still deciding whether or not to switch for space grey, but wtv.
I noticed that my home button feels overly clicky, almost loose. Might just be that im neurotic...anyone experience this?

Has anyone been able to successfully purchase AppleCare AFTER dropping their phone? It's my understanding that you can call in the purchase and they run a remote diagnostic, but that won't detect physical damage would it?

My gf just dropped her phone on the concrete and is stressing about it, and I thought there might be a way to get the AppleCare after the damage has been done, then head over to the nearby Apple Store to get the screen replaced for less than $269. I have a feeling she's going to have to take the loss here :(

Got a package with a 6+ inside today!...wasn't mine.

Checked my order status and it says on or before 11/12. At least it went down; at first it was 11/22. This is T-Mobile and order was placed Sept 17th.

So I guess Space Grey is more sought after than white silver, which the one that came today was, since I ordered it after my Space Grey.

Was so excited there for a second. Fuuuuck.

kaskade

Ok, I didn't know if I was making it out to be a more simple task than it really is. It just seems weird that the phones will be out for a whole month already and we haven't seen some of the bigger apps like Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram updated yet.

Shane86

iPhone 6 won't pick up my wifi automatically.

There's three networks on the list and none belong to me.

If I enter the name and password manually it works though.

Any fix for this?

Top Bottom