• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Crushed and completely ice hard rice stuck in the headphone jack

No sound coming from the regular speaker

Constantly disconnecting Internet

Takes up to 5 years to restart phone

Yeah, my iPhone 4 is officially dead.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Was this just moved to Off Topic Community?

ckohler

I need case advice. Drop protection and price doesn't matter to me. I'm only interested in two things: the thinnest and scratch prevention for the back.

I'm currently debating between two:

The Spigen Neo Hybrid and the Apple Leather Case.

I like the look of the Spigen and it is cheaper but the Apple Leather has microfiber on the inside (seems really nice) and may be the thinnest. Thoughts?

Ashhong

I have gone through 3 different cases so far, the Poetic Atmosphere, Spigen Hybrid, and the Luvvitt. I'm trying to find a case with a TPU bumper and clear back.

The poetic atmosphere has weird lines on the back, and dust easily gets in and shows because the side bumper is half clear. Yet it has maybe my favorite fit/feel.

The Spigen has no goddamn buttons! The button area is completely flat and theres no way to feel where the buttons are when in my pocket. Otherwise this would also be great.

Luvvitt just feels cheap. It was twice the price of the others and I like it the least. Also has ugly outline around the camera cutout. And the black color is not as nice with my Slate Grey as the gunmetal colors of the others. Fit is ok.

Anybody have other suggestions? Just ordered a cheap one from a company called Gear Beast

Ashhong

They announced this last week. Apple Pay being the big carrot.

Didn't you get the memo?

I knew it was coming out, but my question still stands. Why not make it 8.0.2 or something? I always saw the .1 updates in the past as a major firmware update. Has it ever come out this quickly?

I knew it was coming out, but my question still stands. Why not make it 8.0.2 or something? I always saw the .1 updates in the past as a major firmware update. Has it ever come out this quickly?

Not sure a .1 has ever come so quickly, but I'm not sure they have ever had features to add features as large as ApplePay and iCloud Photo Library so close to launch.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I thought the .1 updates are usually released later, and it's their semi big update for the phone. Why so early this time?

Changed/accelerated iOS 8.x development schedule, Apple already have 8.2 and 8.3 in testing as well (compared to iOS 7 and previous when x.1 usually took 3-4 months to release.

Does anyone know why I have so many of these in my photo folders when connecting to my PC?

I can't seem to delete them either.

LgF2xDJ.jpg

FStop7

Banned
Props to Apple's customer service:

This morning I woke up and loaded a Youtube vid on my iPhone 6. After about 30 seconds of playback my wi-fi strength dropped from full to zero. At first I thought it was my router, but then my iPhone spontaneously rebooted. It then briefly flashed a red screen and rebooted a second time. I was able to get in after the second reboot, but both wi-fi and Bluetooth were disabled and I couldn't turn them back on. Then the phone rebooted again. And again. Twice I tried to do clean reinstalls of IOS using recovery mode, but both times failed due to the phone red screening in the middle of the process.

I made an appointment at the local Apple store over lunch. By the time I got there the phone was now doing nothing but looping in a cycle of booting to the Apple logo, then throwing a red or blue screen, then rebooting again. I told the tech what happened and what I'd tried to do. He did a quick check, said he wasn't going to make me wait, got me a fresh phone, swapped SIMs, and sent me on my way. My last iCloud backup was from yesterday so I didn't lose anything other than a couple of songs tagged in Shazam that I had already playlisted in Youtube.

This was on a 4 day old iPhone 6, 64 gig, Verizon. The store tech said he had not seen an iPhone 6 fail so badly... my luck of the draw. I'm just glad they swapped phones without a hassle or after spending hours on trying to make the dead one work again.

Props to Apple's customer service:

This morning I woke up and loaded a Youtube vid on my iPhone 6. After about 30 seconds of playback my wi-fi strength dropped from full to zero. At first I thought it was my router, but then my iPhone spontaneously rebooted. It then briefly flashed a red screen and rebooted a second time. I was able to get in after the second reboot, but both wi-fi and Bluetooth were disabled and I couldn't turn them back on. Then the phone rebooted again. And again. Twice I tried to do clean reinstalls of IOS using recovery mode, but both times failed due to the phone red screening in the middle of the process.

I made an appointment at the local Apple store over lunch. By the time I got there the phone was now doing nothing but looping in a cycle of booting to the Apple logo, then throwing a red or blue screen, then rebooting again. I told the tech what happened and what I'd tried to do. He did a quick check, said he wasn't going to make me wait, got me a fresh phone, swapped SIMs, and sent me on my way. My last iCloud backup was from yesterday so I didn't lose anything other than a couple of songs tagged in Shazam that I had already playlisted in Youtube.

This was on a 4 day old iPhone 6, 64 gig, Verizon. The store tech said he had not seen an iPhone 6 fail so badly... my luck of the draw. I'm just glad they swapped phones without a hassle or after spending hours on trying to make the dead one work again.

I love stories like this, makes me appreciate the apple store guys. :)
Did they say what caused it or what was wrong with it?

And has anyone else noticed that when dragging down, the icons and text explaining the search functions have gone?

FStop7

Banned
I love stories like this, makes me appreciate the apple store guys. :)
Did they say what caused it or what was wrong with it?

And has anyone else noticed that when dragging down, the icons and text explaining the search functions have gone?

He didn't say but my guess would be bad RAM or a bad wi-fi/Bluetooth controller.

Left my billfold at the house when we went to Walgreens. Tried out ApplePay so my girl wouldn't have to foot the bill and it worked. Love ApplePay!

I can see each transaction on my phone via Passbook.

JDeluis

Is anyone else having bad battery problems with the iPhone 6? I had to charge my phone once today; almost twice.

Make sure none of your apps are running location services 24hr. I have the Shopkick app that I had to disable locations services because it was running all day.

Tigress

I have gone through 3 different cases so far, the Poetic Atmosphere, Spigen Hybrid, and the Luvvitt. I'm trying to find a case with a TPU bumper and clear back.

The poetic atmosphere has weird lines on the back, and dust easily gets in and shows because the side bumper is half clear. Yet it has maybe my favorite fit/feel.

The Spigen has no goddamn buttons! The button area is completely flat and theres no way to feel where the buttons are when in my pocket. Otherwise this would also be great.

Luvvitt just feels cheap. It was twice the price of the others and I like it the least. Also has ugly outline around the camera cutout. And the black color is not as nice with my Slate Grey as the gunmetal colors of the others. Fit is ok.

Anybody have other suggestions? Just ordered a cheap one from a company called Gear Beast

I'm really liking my tech21. I am not a fan of how it looks compared to the case I replaced with it (but then I don't really like the iphone 6's look. The 5 was the best looking iphone imho. If you like how the 6 looks you'll probably like this case, it preserves the lines). It feels nice in the hands, from what I can tell it is going to give pretty good protection (and yet still thin, at least for one that I feel will actually give adequate drop protection. I don't go for the super thin cases that are just to prevent scratches or give a custom look only). It allows the plug in easy on the bottom and yet doesn't have such a flimsy stretch of silicone/whatever it is around the access hole that you can tell it's a weak point and will break at that point, it allows easy access to the silence button, the other buttons are easy to use too.

Oh, and it's a nice dark blue (I really like blue and insist on blue cases. Was hard to find this color, hard enough I caved on a 12 year boycott and actually gave Best Buy money *shudder* because they are the only ones offering this case in that color and I did check Amazon and Ebay <- it was on Ebay through Best Buy). They have other colors though (verizon carries two of them).

I would stay far away from the Prodigee Fusion. That was my first case, bought before I had the phone, and it sucks. You can't actually fit the lightning cable connector into the port without pulling the case out of the way (it has a hole but it's not cut right), the buttons are way too stiff that it is a huge pain to use the power/volume buttons, you can't reach the silence button unless you have long nails (and it's still a PITA then), and it makes the phone a lot harder to hold (the new case hasn't solved my problem of the phone is too big to hold comfortably in bed but at least everywhere else it's ok to hold where as with the old case it was annoying to use one handed period... and it wasn't even a super thick like otterbox style case). It did make the phone look nice to me though, heh.

He didn't say but my guess would be bad RAM or a bad wi-fi/Bluetooth controller.

Apple tends to have special instructions for staff close to any iPhone launch window; they are more likely to do replacements and ship bad units to home base for investigation as part of their procedures to nail big problems early to both (a) develop procedures for staff in the future and (b) try to wipe out major problems from future production runs.

The problem you had probably would have been replaced either way, but on average I'd guess they'd be quicker to come to that conclusion now rather than in 6 months.

Corgi

Banned
Here is the current case I'm using on my 6+ for those who want more options.

Spigen Neo Hybrid Series - Gunmetal
http://amzn.com/B00LLGLR18
The case is great if you want something slim that will offer more grip. Doesn't feel like it will protect from #bendgate if that worries you. It feels more like a bumper case with a soft backing. Should protect from some small drops. The buttons are responsive, seems earlier versions had problems with the buttons. I received the case on Friday, so you should be okay ordering from Amazon.

The only reason I might start using another case is because I have a two year old son who loves using my phone and sometime drops my phone accidentally or throws it when he has a tantrum. I doubt this case might protect against a toddler who likes throwing baseballs like Kershaw. Love the case, but this is the only reason I might look for something more heavy duty like Pelican Progear Protector. https://www.att.com/cases/pelican-pr...id=UUKmHaDJPYc

have the none metal version. like the case design. only problem is i feel like it makes the phone a tiny bit too wide for my small asian hands to hold comfortably.

ZeroX03

Banned
Infuse 3 - a video player - has been updated and there's a boatload of new features. It's awesome. 6 and 6 Plus support, licensed DTS audio, dark mode, new sorting, streaming and a bunch of other stuff. It's pricey but it handled my 10GB rips of The Dark Knight trilogy without any delay. Even iPhone's video app can't do that (and there's stutter over AirPlay). Highly recommended.

Ashhong

Just got my 6 yesterday, JETech Clear case on the go

Such a slick lookin device, damn :D

I was looking at this case but reviews said that there is hardly a lip on the front, so it doesn't protect the screen if you place it face down. Is that true? Can you take a pic of the front lip?

Infuse 3 - a video player - has been updated and there's a boatload of new features. It's awesome. 6 and 6 Plus support, licensed DTS audio, dark mode, new sorting, streaming and a bunch of other stuff. It's pricey but it handled my 10GB rips of The Dark Knight trilogy without any delay. Even iPhone's video app can't do that (and there's stutter over AirPlay). Highly recommended.

VLC player had similar features and it was on the AppStore for free. Unfortunately Apple removed it for unknown reasons. I guess I'll give this a go.

Minsc

Gold Member
VLC player had similar features and it was on the AppStore for free. Unfortunately Apple removed it for unknown reasons. I guess I'll give this a go.

If the video player decodes DTS or Dolby Digital / ac3 streams, chances are they weren't paying the proper licenses for it... maybe that was the reason? I know a TON of video players were forced to update without the capability to playback ac3 a while back, and I'm not sure if VLC (since it's free) can afford to pay those licenses. Infuse is, as I've posted before, definitely my favorite player on iOS, and nice to see they're giving the upgrade for free to prior owners (again, they did that with 2.0 as well).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
If the video player decodes DTS or Dolby Digital / ac3 streams, chances are they weren't paying the proper licenses for it... maybe that was the reason? I know a TON of video players were forced to update without the capability to playback ac3 a while back, and I'm not sure if VLC (since it's free) can afford to pay those licenses. Infuse is, as I've posted before, definitely my favorite player on iOS, and nice to see they're giving the upgrade for free to prior owners (again, they did that with 2.0 as well).

The VLC devs recently stated the app takedown is temporary and the VLC for iOS code base was recently updated to support the newly introduced devices (6/6+), including the new launch screens, etc. and will be back on the store soon.
In the meantime if you're code savvy you can compile the new code base for the app (available on the website) yourself.

Zuly

Well. It has happened. I bought my first iOS device despite owning Apple computers for years. I feel right at home and I don't think I'll regret my purchase. (hopefully)

Sorry I don't know where to ask this, but I just got an iPad Mini with Retina. It's pretty good so far, but I'm trying to avoid having to use iTunes in any way shape or form. Is there an app that I can download that works like Airdroid on Android? Basically where my iPad can connect to my PC and I can drag and drop or just transfer files through wi-fi? This is very important :(

Cross-posting from the iOS 8 thread:

I'm back from the department store. I've finally tried out the iPhone 6 (which I was very interested in) and I think I'm gonna pass.

The iPhone 6 is larger than the previous iPhones (I always refused to buy one due to the small size, prior to the 6's reveal) and it's a good thing, but even though the phone was just as big as my Samsung Galaxy S4, the screen was smaller. That's too small for me. There were a couple iPhone 5Cs next to it and they were even smaller. I can't believe Apple consumers put up with such tiny screen sizes. I can't even imagine what using the iPhone 4 was like. So yeah, iPhone 6 was out of the question.

Luckily, there was also an iPhone 6 Plus on display so I tried it out, too. The screen had just the right size (I can't believe I've got accustomed to such big screens, which would have made me laugh two years ago) but the frame started to be kind of huge - no big deal, though. So I started to consider buying a 6 Plus in the future, until I saw the price: &#8364;809 for the 16 Gb version. Seriously? 16 Gb is nothing with HD content and OS updates.

As a result, I became interested in the 64 Gb version but it costs &#8364;919. Sorry but NOPE. As much as I love Apple and its commitment to excellence, this is crazy. I truly believe they make superior hardware (and their software isn't too bad, now with iOS 8.1) but it can't be &#8364;450 better than, say, a OnePlus One. I think I'm gonna stick to Android for much longer than expected - and Android finally seems to be decent/mature enough with Lollipop, so that's even less reasons to switch.

Too bad, because I already had a MacBook Air and an iPad Air so it would have made sense to invest in a 100% Apple ecosystem. For my iPad I had a little bit of extra cash and it wasn't that much more expensive than top-tier Android tablets anyway, but the iPhone prices are off-limits, in my opinion. If I had to replace my phone today, I would choose between a OnePlus One (great price), the new Moto X (great overall reviews) or the Nexus 5 (dat long-term support).

Sorry I don't know where to ask this, but I just got an iPad Mini with Retina. It's pretty good so far, but I'm trying to avoid having to use iTunes in any way shape or form. Is there an app that I can download that works like Airdroid on Android? Basically where my iPad can connect to my PC and I can drag and drop or just transfer files through wi-fi? This is very important :(
Does Dropbox count?

Top Bottom