• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ok, so I now have 689 of these and still no idea what they are and can't seem to delete them.

The only thing I can think of is to format the phone and start again but I really dont want to.
Old photo meta data, clear out your camera roll and photos should remove it. Had the same situation previously.

mrkgoo

Old photo meta data, clear out your camera roll and photos should remove it. Had the same situation previously.

Is it the "aae" files? I think that might be something new with iOS 8, the editing files that the new iCloud photo library will use or something.

Any recommendations for cool iPhone 6+ cases?

I bought a Ringke Fusion for my plus. I really like it. It keeps the look of the 6. Some people didn't even know it had a case on 'til I told them. The sides are rubber while the back is clear hard plastic. It also has dust covers for the headphone and lightning ports and they work really good without getting in the way. They snap in and stay in flush with the case. I wouldn't trust this case to protect my phone from a drop. I got it more to protect it a scratches and normal wear and tear... But for the price it's definitely worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHHS7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mrkgoo

Sorry, thought the image from my previous post came along with my quote.

So, wipe every photo off of the phone and they should be removed?

Yeah I actually hunted for the original post one page back. Not further than that.

Still not sure what lies you're referrig to. AAE?

Yeah I actually hunted for the original post one page back. Not further than that.

Still not sure what lies you're referrig to. AAE?

These mate.

LgF2xDJ.jpg

I've wiped all the photos off of my phone so its empty.
Everytime I take a new photo now and look at it on my computer through Windows Explorer, a new one of those images appear.

So it seems that every single photo has one associated with it for some reason.

Corgi

Banned
I bought a Ringke Fusion for my plus. I really like it. It keeps the look of the 6. Some people didn't even know it had a case on 'til I told them. The sides are rubber while the back is clear hard plastic. It also has dust covers for the headphone and lightning ports and they work really good without getting in the way. They snap in and stay in flush with the case. I wouldn't trust this case to protect my phone from a drop. I got it more to protect it a scratches and normal wear and tear... But for the price it's definitely worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Plus-Ca...+iphone+6+plus

they do protect the phone quite well. had the same case on my iphone 5 (and 6+) and they did protect my phone from a few dates with concrete.

mrkgoo

These mate.

I've wiped all the photos off of my phone so its empty.
Everytime I take a new photo now and look at it on my computer through Windows Explorer, a new one of those images appear.

So it seems that every single photo has one associated with it for some reason.
The icons mean nothing to me, but if they are .aae files associated with every image, I think I started getting them after upgrade to iOS 8.

After some brief research, my guess is that they are sidecar files that store the edits and changes as a small text-like file. Part of the new system to sync edits across devices.

The icons mean nothing to me, but if they are .aae files associated with every image, I think I started getting them after upgrade to iOS 8.

After some brief research, my guess is that they are sidecar files that store the edits and changes as a small text-like file. Part of the new system to sync edits across devices.

Ah damn, this is what they are!

Well, at least I know they're not a problem.

Just need to sort all my photos out again now... :(

Thank you! :)

mrkgoo

Ah damn, this is what they are!

Well, at least I know they're not a problem.

Just need to sort all my photos out again now... :(

Thank you! :)

Just a guess without seeing your actual files.

They're hidden when connecting to a Mac, but when it updated to iOS 8, Aperture downloaded a whole bunch of them.

They were all .aae, which is an Adobe after effects file. Either it's that or their proprietary thing. iOS 8 hasn't been out long enough to really tell, and I bet once iCloud photo library is up and running everything wi become more clear (as mud lol).

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum in the thread, but can plus users give their impressions on handling the phone given its size? I really want to get the plus when the s version drops.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum in the thread, but can plus users give their impressions on handling the phone given its size? I really want to get the plus when the s version drops.

I upgraded from the 4s to the 6+ and I've had zero problems handling the phone... and I don't have big hands. I can hold the phone and scroll with one hand no problem. It is definitely a 2 handed phone, though. The only thing that mildly bothered me was I used to throw my 4s in my front shirt pocket sometimes... This phone is way too big to do that. For me, that big beautiful screen outweighs the cons. I usually adapt to things really quickly... I've never held a game controller that I didn't like. I even liked the Atari 5200 controller ...so take my answer for whatever it's worth. lol Really, the best way to judge is to actually hold one yourself. I went to an Apple store and I knew as soon as I held it, it wasn't too big.

About to order, and torn between the 6 and 6+. I like the one hand usability of the 6, but damn is the battery life and awesome screen swaying me to the Plus. But I don't know if I can get used to something so huge. Coming from a 5 here.

Vyer

About to order, and torn between the 6 and 6+. I like the one hand usability of the 6, but damn is the battery life and awesome screen swaying me to the Plus. But I don't know if I can get used to something so huge. Coming from a 5 here.

It's really going to vary from person to person. Your best bet is really going to be going to a store - apple, best buy, whatever - and holding them.

It's really going to vary from person to person. Your best bet is really going to be going to a store - apple, best buy, whatever - and holding them.

I have, and I am torn.

And looks like I won't be ordering now since the Verizon site is being an asshole. It won't let me add anything to the cart at all. Online help did nothing. Ugh.

EDIT: Tried Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. Everything says "Unavailable. Please try again or contact us." So annoying, and online chat offered no clear answer.

So what did you think? I thought the plus was very nice but it didn't really change my view that I didn't want a 'phablet'.

It is really big, but I feel like I could adjust. I think it is that if I am upgrading, I want the best thing they have. I really like the size and feel of the 6, but there are software things in the Plus that I like, and the better camera sounds nice. It is just the size that gives me pause.

I will go to a store and play some more. But right now just pissed that I cannot add anything at all to my cart on Verizon.com.

EDIT: And reviews just make me more torn. The 6 supposedly has the better screen outside for color accuracy and contrast, and some benchmarks are higher as well. But the plus has that sweet, sweet battery life.

EDIT 2: Okay, finally got the god damn Verizon site to put things into the cart. But now it wont let me past the point of confirming my data plan. No clickable button or anything. Just text. Why must their site be useless?

Well, guess I won't be ordering an iPhone online.

I moved to KY a couple months ago, and am living in an area without Verizon. It is Bluegrass Cellular here, but Verizon is a partner so the phones my wife and I currently have work on there.

But, because we are in a Bluegrass Cellular area, not only can we not buy or activate phones in stores around here (which I discovered the other week), but I cannot order online to have them delivered here. I have to drive to a Verizon store or Apple store over an hour away to pick it up in person. Even Apple.com won't ship it to me here because it isnt an official Verizon area.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

I have been happy with Verizon, and dont want to go to AT&T, but my wife and I might have to because of this stupid regional carrier bullshit.

Ninja Dom

Sounds like a classic case of a ghost in your shell. really though I've never heard of an issue like that and even more bizarre that this happened with two phones in a row.

you should take it back to the store if it's that bad. or use a case that covers the silent button well? My current case for my 6+ actually makes it really hard to even reach my silent button without a nail on my fingers

I've got an appointment at the Apple Store booked for Wednesday morning. One similarity between my 5S and my 6 is that I use them in pouch style cases and when they are in the cases they are upside down. Due to the headphone socket being on the bottom. I'm really trying to figure out how two different phones developed the same unique problem.

Pastry

Banned
My 6+ is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday but the last location on the UPS tracking system was it arriving in Korea on the 23rd and it hasn't updated since then. : /

I'm gonna get crushed for this but is anyone not liking the bigger screen? I don't like how the 6 feels in my hand. I know I'm in the minority.

I had a 5. Never a 5s but to go backwards seems stupid. But it's either keep this. Go with a 5s or get an android phone with a 4inch screen and from what I've seen they aren't many. I should have just kept my 5.

Erebus

I had a 5. Never a 5s but to go backwards seems stupid. But it's either keep this. Go with a 5s or get an android phone with a 4inch screen and from what I've seen they aren't many. I should have just kept my 5.

Aside from some camera improvements and things like ApplePay, in terms of performance and speed the iPhone 6 is only slightly faster than the 5s according to most benchmarks. So if the size is that important to you, going back a model may be not such a stupid idea after all.

Having said that, how long have you had your iPhone 6? Maybe you'll get used to the size after a while.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHHS7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks! This looks great. Bought this as a present.

Husker86

I'm gonna get crushed for this but is anyone not liking the bigger screen? I don't like how the 6 feels in my hand. I know I'm in the minority.

I like my screens at ~5 inches. But, I don't like the way the 6 feels in my hand. It's too thin. I don't like cases either. My Nexus 5 is getting more of my usage time (though I admittedly prefer Android).

I really think we've gone past comfortable thinness with the iPhone 6.

Aside from some camera improvements and things like ApplePay, in terms of performance and speed the iPhone 6 is only slightly faster than the 5s according to most benchmarks. So if the size is that important to you, going back a model may be not such a stupid idea after all.

Having said that, how long have you had your iPhone 6? Maybe you'll get used to the size after a while.

Not that long. I know. But something about it just bugs me. Lol.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Any good resources to specifically look at apps that take advantage of the 6+'s real estate so far?

I figure most of the big name ones have updated by now but I'm having trouble finding a consolidated resource to see what they actually look like.

Getting very close to making a final decisions and purchasing my device. Just spent a looong time at the Apple store today. I stopped off after work and just posted up and did my usual internet round from a 6+.

Its good shit man.

Pastry

Banned
GAF I have a question. My iPhone 6+ shipped on the 22nd and I changed credit card information on my Apple account on the 23rd because I wanted to put an app purchase on a different card. the $70 tax for the iPhone 6+ was charged to my card but my tracking information hasn't updated since the 23rd, the last update shows it arriving in Korea. Did changing my credit card mess anything up? I didn't think twice about it because the 6+ had already shipped and it's not like there is a problem with my card.

Vyer

Well, guess I won't be ordering an iPhone online.

I moved to KY a couple months ago, and am living in an area without Verizon. It is Bluegrass Cellular here, but Verizon is a partner so the phones my wife and I currently have work on there.

But, because we are in a Bluegrass Cellular area, not only can we not buy or activate phones in stores around here (which I discovered the other week), but I cannot order online to have them delivered here. I have to drive to a Verizon store or Apple store over an hour away to pick it up in person. Even Apple.com won't ship it to me here because it isnt an official Verizon area.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

I have been happy with Verizon, and dont want to go to AT&T, but my wife and I might have to because of this stupid regional carrier bullshit.

I almost have a hard time believing Bluegrass Cellular in Kentucky is a real thing. That's hilarious.

sorry you're having trouble :(

Jimrpg

Went to Singapore over the weekend and finally got to hold both the 6 and the 6 plus. Most places I went to ran out of stock.

Initially I was going to go with the 6 plus because I wanted a bigger screen (coming from the 4s), but now after holding them both, I've swung back to the 6. Mainly because I know there will be times where it will be convenient to just shove the phone in my pocket.

The 6 still feels like a phone though, it doesn't feel that much bigger than a 5/5s if you don't have them side by side. The 6 plus is in another league. Also I'm afraid of dropping the 6 plus using it one handed, I think with the curved edges its going to be easier to drop.

I still can't believe they haven't announced November countries yet, its so frustrating, being in Malaysia, they are literally treating us like a third world country right now :( Hopefully its similar to the iphone 5s release schedule so its around mid November which is only another couple of weeks away.

EDIT: ooooo - http://www.malaysiafreebies.com/iphone-6-price-release-date-spec-malaysia/

Nov 7th for Malaysia Woop!

Nah, after a couple of weeks with the phone I'm right there with you. I was originally considering the Plus, and opted for the 6 after getting hands on at an Apple Store. It's a slick, gorgeous phone, but every time I pick up my old 5, I marvel at how much of a smarter and more suitable screen size it had. I thought the 5 to 6 transition would be more like the 4 to 5 transition, where looking back at the 4 makes me wonder how we ever dealt with the screen size. I was really surprised the first time I picked up the 5 again and thought, "Hey... this is a bit better than the 6..."

Overall it's a pretty minor quibble, and the 128gb of storage is more important to me than a slightly superior screen, but it's really a shame we probably won't see another screen that size in future iPhones. Hopefully the next one won't be so damn slippery at least (my only other complaint).

Fuchsdh

Nah, after a couple of weeks with the phone I'm right there with you. I was originally considering the Plus, and opted for the 6 after getting hands on at an Apple Store. It's a slick, gorgeous phone, but every time I pick up my old 5, I marvel at how much of a smarter and more suitable screen size it had. I thought the 5 to 6 transition would be more like the 4 to 5 transition, where looking back at the 4 makes me wonder how we ever dealt with the screen size. I was really surprised the first time I picked up the 5 again and thought, "Hey... this is a bit better than the 6..."

Overall it's a pretty minor quibble, and the 128gb of storage is more important to me than a slightly superior screen, but it's really a shame we probably won't see another screen that size in future iPhones. Hopefully the next one won't be so damn slippery at least (my only other complaint).

I dunno. Next year the 5S will be the free one, but I wouldn't put it past them to do another 5C rebrand. Ultimately I think it's how much the 4.7, 5.5 SKUs sell versus the 4 inchers. If there are a lot of people buying 5S models because they don't want huge phones, that drives Apple's ASP down, so it'd make sense to consider offering a new or mid-tier 4" option.

Apple in talks to expand NFC in iPhone 6 beyond Apple Pay, replace building keycards and transit tickets

The Information says that the company is talking to potential partners about using the technology for things like building security, public transit tickets and more. The report names that Apple has already been in talks with HID Global and Cubic, who make electronic ‘keycard’ secure building access and transit fare systems.

In fact, Apple has already announced a similar partnership with Starwood Hotels, where Apple users can replace hotel keycards with their Apple Watch, although this uses Bluetooth rather than NFC technology.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/27/iphone-6-nfc-hotel-keycard-more/

I dunno. Next year the 5S will be the free one, but I wouldn't put it past them to do another 5C rebrand. Ultimately I think it's how much the 4.7, 5.5 SKUs sell versus the 4 inchers. If there are a lot of people buying 5S models because they don't want huge phones, that drives Apple's ASP down, so it'd make sense to consider offering a new or mid-tier 4" option.

Yeah, I would wager the 5S or equivalent will stick around for a long time, perhaps even as long as the iPad 2 did. I just meant that I have an admittedly ridiculous need to get the newest shiniest flagship every year (or every other year) and I doubt the 5S-sized release each year will be anything more than the last-gen (or last-last-gen) "low end" model. And despite the fact that I can't see a performance difference between my 5 and my 6, my disgusting consumnerist tendencies mean I gotta get that 7 (or whatever they cram an A9 chip into).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Apple in talks to expand NFC in iPhone 6 beyond Apple Pay, replace building keycards and transit tickets

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/27/iphone-6-nfc-hotel-keycard-more/

Interesting. Won't happen with Oyster in the UK unfortunately as TFL are very much against the idea of Oyster stuff being held on anything other than their own cards (or even modifying the cards at all), but seeing as the Oyster readers accept NFC payments too then at least that's an option if people want to hit their phones against ticket barriers.

Pastry

Banned
This is me. I'm confused too.

I just talked to UPS, the lady was pretty useless but she said their tracking system was still showing it for delivery tomorrow despite the fact that it hasn't updated since the 23rd. I told her that it was still showing as being in Korea and she was like yeah but it hasn't changed your delivery date yet so for now just assume it'll be there tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Having a bit of trouble deciding between 128 and 64.

I currently have a 64 gig and its fine. I keep for phones for about 3 years so the more storage the better but I honestly think I'd be fine with 64gigs especially with iCloud...

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I would wager the 5S or equivalent will stick around for a long time, perhaps even as long as the iPad 2 did. I just meant that I have an admittedly ridiculous need to get the newest shiniest flagship every year (or every other year) and I doubt the 5S-sized release each year will be anything more than the last-gen (or last-last-gen) "low end" model. And despite the fact that I can't see a performance difference between my 5 and my 6, my disgusting consumnerist tendencies mean I gotta get that 7 (or whatever they cram an A9 chip into).

And this is the other thing I'm wondering about. In seven years we've gone from 128MB of RAM to 1GB (and most definitely 2GB in the 6S), we've seen hundreds-fold increase in computational horsepower and graphics capabilities, we've gotten bleeding thin phones that essentially can't get smaller unless they replace the 3.5mm minijack.

So many people have been buying new phones every other year, or even every year; I'm going to be replacing my phone after three years, and I have the impression even among my non techie-friends I'm sort of an anomaly. But aside from battery life, I'm not sure what is going to motivate people to push and upgrade, aside from maybe the entrenched two-year-contracts we have in the US.

I guess the question is what smartphone in general and iPhone in particular becomes the first tablet/Maclike phone in that you can expect to hold on to it for years and have it last?

Having a bit of trouble deciding between 128 and 64.

I currently have a 64 gig and its fine. I keep for phones for about 3 years so the more storage the better but I honestly think I'd be fine with 64gigs especially with iCloud...

In the age of Spotify/Google Music and decent cloud storage like OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox, I personally don't see the need for 128 gigs.

Branson

I just talked to UPS, the lady was pretty useless but she said their tracking system was still showing it for delivery tomorrow despite the fact that it hasn't updated since the 23rd. I told her that it was still showing as being in Korea and she was like yeah but it hasn't changed your delivery date yet so for now just assume it'll be there tomorrow.

Hmm. So basically she just read what we did. My gfs case for her 6plus didn't update until it was delivered so here's hoping.

I'm here at Honda getting my air bag changed and in trying to mess with this phone one handed and I just can't get used to it. I was actually going to Apple before here but I had to get this done. So I have a few hours left with the 6 to be 100% sure. But right now I just don't like it.

LaneDS

Ordered a 6 last week through Apple's site with a scheduled delivery of sometime next week. However, my 5 (through Verizon) is now deactivated as of yesterday which is a pain in the ass. Anyone have a similar experience? Going to visit a Verizon store after work but man, that's frustrating.

Top Bottom