• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

My verizon iphone 6 plus 64gb space grey has finally shipped! I ordered it on September 20.

lUlpTJU.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
In the age of Spotify/Google Music and decent cloud storage like OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox, I personally don't see the need for 128 gigs.

Well thats just music though. I feel like in 2017 I'll be feeling the tight space. 64 is what I have now and its reasonable but it doesn't feel roomy by any stretch of the imagination.

Also I have to give up my unlimited data plan. :[
This has been my monthly data usage as far back as I can see on Verizon's site
09/21 - 10/20
1.79955GB
08/21 - 09/20
1.89068GB
07/21 - 08/20
4.21559GB
06/21 - 07/20
2.86986GB
05/21 - 06/20
2.01775GB
04/21 - 05/20
2.15607GB
03/21 - 04/20
1.11973GB
02/21 - 03/20
1.41135GB
01/21 - 02/20
1.97240GB
12/21 - 01/20
1.42388GB
11/21 - 12/20
2.54574GB
10/21 - 11/20
4.92836GB
09/21 - 10/20
2.48104GB
08/21 - 09/20
2.21541GB
07/21 - 08/20
4.34839GB
06/21 - 07/20
5.24387GB
05/21 - 06/20
6.96544GB
04/21 - 05/20
3.99449GB

There are a few months where I'm just barely under 2gigs but I'm thinking I'll need to get 4 or 6gigs a month. Which is substantially more costly than my 3G bill has been. I'm expecting to use quite a bit more with LTE too since its faster obviously.

Anyway, I'm so excited. This has not been an easy process this year. Oh well, moving from 3G to LTE from a small phone to a giant one.. this is gonna be so much fun.

Ninja Dom

Having a bit of trouble deciding between 128 and 64.

I currently have a 64 gig and its fine. I keep for phones for about 3 years so the more storage the better but I honestly think I'd be fine with 64gigs especially with iCloud...

I had the 64GB 5 and 5S and went with the 128GB 6. What I've found is that the new 240fps slow-mo and the 60fps 1080p video take up a LOT of storage. Absolutely stunning videos though.

I won't be keeping the 6 as long as you but I already filled up half with my existing content and then the spare half will get filled up with new content over the year that I use the phone.

ElyrionX

Got my 6 plus today. So good to be back to iOS. When is the whatsapp update coming? The font and scale in the app is really jarring to the eye.

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone else's Google Drive app dead? Any time I try and edit a file it crashes.

It's finally given me incentive to try Apple's suite since they've got web apps for when I'm not on Mac. Numbers seems to work well enough for my spreadsheets and Pages is good for long form writing. Still gonna continue my note taking on Evernote though.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Guys any help...,

My LTE is horrible. Like .48 up and .50 down

Is there anything I can do to increase these speeds ? My 4s was faster than this 6+

I am on iOS 8.1

Got my 6 plus today. So good to be back to iOS. When is the whatsapp update coming? The font and scale in the app is really jarring to the eye.

You and me are both waiting for that update. Someone couple of pages ago posted how there's a beta, not tally sure how to get into it but I'm sure we will see it sooner than later

Branson

Fuck. Delivery from ups was updated and rescheduled. Apparently just left Korea today even though it was the scheduled delivery date for the 28th. Took the day off from work and everything. Great. Thanks guys. Real nice job on this stuff.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My iPhone 5S went through the washer and dryer >_>

I need to get a new phone asap but both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ both have a bit of wait, with the + having a much longer wait time. I don't know if I'll like the increased size anyways. This sucks, I didn't want to spend the money right now.

Pastry

Banned
Fuck. Delivery from ups was updated and rescheduled. Apparently just left Korea today even though it was the scheduled delivery date for the 28th. Took the day off from work and everything. Great. Thanks guys. Real nice job on this stuff.

Woke up and saw this exact thing. Why does UPS suck so much. It sat in Korea for 5 days... I guess it'll be here around Friday?

Lanbeast

For people still waiting on a 6+, I just wanted to share my status:

AT&T 6+ 64gb Space Grey ordered from Apple.com.

Ordered: October 12th around Noon.
Estimate delivery: Delivers: Nov 11 - Nov 18 by Standard Shipping.
E-mail update: October 28th at 11:10AM, stating that they're working hard with a new estimated delivery of November 3rd to November 10th.

I had originally ordered on 10/1 and then cancelled because I thought I could get it locally...which didn't work out. So it's nice to finally have some sort of date locked down.

edit: Sorry, I misread it. The e-mail states that the phone will be ready to ship Nov 3-10. Meaning that it will probably be delivered to me in the time frame they originally stated, Nov 11-18.

Anyone else order a 6+ the first week but still haven't received theirs? Don't know if it's because of my phone model (space gray 64GB 6+), but I keep calling up Sprint and to this day they still don't have any estimates for when they'll get some in stock. At this rate by the time I get mine the 6S will be around the corner =/

Bullza2o

Woke up and saw this exact thing. Why does UPS suck so much. It sat in Korea for 5 days... I guess it'll be here around Friday?
My phone was stuck in China Friday-Sunday then Now Korea since Monday. I really hope I get it Thursday, which is the expected delivery date set by ups.

ElyrionX

Newsstand is obnoxious. I only have one magazine app and it gets sucked in. Is there anything I can do about it?

And is there any way to make the bottom menu/bar of Safari to always be visible?

Edit: what is the purpose of the "show tab bar" toggle in Safai. It doesn't seem to do anything for me.

those aren't bumpers :p

But if you are looking for a good transparent case, ringke fusion has been recommended a few times here (including from me!).

Good feel, good buttons, fantastic price.

It's supposed to be a hybrid bumper with a clear back case (easier to see with the different colors xD). I love the way bumpers look but I think I want more protection when I get the 6. I'll definitely look into the ringke fusion cases, thanks :)

Branson

Just got a push note saying that it should be delivered today. Went from Korea to Alaska to a state over in one day. And it time traveled apparently in that time. (Lawl)

Pastry

Banned
Just got a push note saying that it should be delivered today. Went from Korea to Alaska to a state over in one day. And it time traveled apparently in that time. (Lawl)

Yeah! I saw that this morning, patiently waiting for it to arrive. In the end it was only one day late but still.... sat in Korea for 5 days.

Branson

Yeah! I saw that this morning, patiently waiting for it to arrive. In the end it was only one day late but still.... sat in Korea for 5 days.
Yeah it surprised me it came today. Now I have to wait after work which will go sloww. What a journey this was.

Skele7on

Banned
Hopefully if the Ebay gods smile at me could have mine on Friday.

Found one for a decent price well bid price so hopefully it pulls through!

If not I will just lurk ebay until I find one that isn't the RRP price which I refuse to pay.

Ashhong

Well thats just music though. I feel like in 2017 I'll be feeling the tight space. 64 is what I have now and its reasonable but it doesn't feel roomy by any stretch of the imagination.

Also I have to give up my unlimited data plan. :[
This has been my monthly data usage as far back as I can see on Verizon's site

There are a few months where I'm just barely under 2gigs but I'm thinking I'll need to get 4 or 6gigs a month. Which is substantially more costly than my 3G bill has been. I'm expecting to use quite a bit more with LTE too since its faster obviously.

Anyway, I'm so excited. This has not been an easy process this year. Oh well, moving from 3G to LTE from a small phone to a giant one.. this is gonna be so much fun.

As an unlimited plan user, you can ask for the Verizon Max 6gb 30$ plan. It's only available to unlimited plan users.

Jimrpg

Looking at the geek bench scores...

iPad-Air-2-Geek-Bench-Multi-Core.jpg

The iPhone 5s is just about as fast as the iPhone 6 even though its a year old.

It's kind of frustrating and if you want to have both the latest design and the big speed bump you have to upgrade every 12 months. As someone who upgrades around every 3 years, 12 months is just really too soon to get rid of the phone.

mrkgoo

It's kind of frustrating and if you want to have both the latest design and the big speed bump you have to upgrade every 12 months. As someone who upgrades around every 3 years, 12 months is just really too soon to get rid of the phone.

The real answer is don't "want" to have both those things. Its not you really need the latest and greatest every year.

Fuchsdh

iPad-Air-2-Geek-Bench-Multi-Core.jpg

Where exactly does your first statement about the 5S being almost as fast as iPhone 6 connect with your second statement, where you're complaining about new design and speed increases?

Bullza2o

My iPhone 6+ comes in today via UPS. Does anyone know if a signature is required or does the delivery guy just drop it off in front of my door?

You said it yourself, last year's phone is almost as fast as this year's phone. I myself had a 5 before the 6, and can't tell the difference in the speed. Upgrading every 24 months, I never felt like I didn't have essentially the latest and greatest. Three years is a bit longer, so perhaps that's the threshold. But I've never felt compelled to upgrade every 12 months.

mrkgoo

Where exactly does your first statement about the 5S being almost as fast as iPhone 6 connect with your second statement, where you're complaining about new design and speed increases?

His point is that on any given yearly update you get EITHER a speed bump OR. A redesign. Not both.

So from 5S to 6 there's a redesign and not a speed bump. You can't ever get both - if you want both you need to buy every year.

It's silly though, because it's more a mind set in wanting the latest and greatest than any appreciable improvement in user satisfaction.

LaneDS

iPhone 6 just delivered. Restoring from backup. Already like it more than I did when I checked it out in stores a few weeks back, so that's encouraging.

Anything I should check out with it once it's up and running? Coming from an iPhone 5 where I hadn't even upgraded to iOS 8 yet.

DarkJC

His point is that on any given yearly update you get EITHER a speed bump OR. A redesign. Not both.

So from 5S to 6 there's a redesign and not a speed bump. You can't ever get both - if you want both you need to buy every year.

It's silly though, because it's more a mind set in wanting the latest and greatest than any appreciable improvement in user satisfaction.

That's not really even a pattern that holds. It happens to be true this year, but the 4S->5 you got both. From the 3GS->4 you got both. People have short memories.

The A8 may not be twice as fast, but it's faster and way more power efficient.

Husker86

Anyone have any experience with Fedex and getting a indirect signature...can I just put up a note for the guy?

Yeah.

I print out my tracking info and sign it at the bottom, where I also write "Please leave at door"

Has worked every time I've had a signature-required delivery from UPS or FedEx.

Korosenai

Just got my six plus in the mail. Should I just keep and use the charger that it came with, or is it worth getting the iPad charger?

And if it is worth getting the iPad charger, can someone link me to it on the apple store so I know exactly what to get?

Fuchsdh

That's not really even a pattern that holds. It happens to be true this year, but the 4S->5 you got both. From the 3GS->4 you got both. People have short memories.

The A8 may not be twice as fast, but it's faster and way more power efficient.

Not to mention we're probably reaching a plateau of smartphone speeds fairly soon. We've been spoiled by massive jumps generation after generation compared to PC speeds. Reality is going to set in soon.

Top Bottom