• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

mrkgoo

That's not really even a pattern that holds. It happens to be true this year, but the 4S->5 you got both. From the 3GS->4 you got both. People have short memories.

The A8 may not be twice as fast, but it's faster and way more power efficient.
Yeah for sure.

I have a 5 and it's one of those jumps that apple make that is a significant one in many regards.

Screen, processor, ram, AND new design!

Piggus

Anyone have any experience with Fedex and getting a indirect signature...can I just put up a note for the guy?

Fedex are dicks about it. I thankfully got my 6 from UPS and was able to pre-sign, but when Fedex was used to send back my 5 after the battery was replaced they wouldn't accept anything but a direct signature even though I had pre-signed online and left the form at the door.

Check your tracking info. If it says "direct signature require" then someone has to be there to sign for it. If it says "indirect signature" or anything else then you can leave a note with the tracking number and your signature.

Ayumi

Okay, I'm writing this to make others extra aware (you are also free to mock me).

We've all read about the bending issue.. Now I don't know how you guys treat your phones but I've been VERY careful with my iPhone 6. Got a case the day I got it and have always kept it in my purse when I'm not sitting down in case I dropped it (I'm very clumsy, and also sometimes get weird muscle/nerve spasms in my right hand due to a shoulder fault).

The fact that I went from 4S to 6 also made things hard to get used to.

Anyway, here goes.

Day 7 (Sept 29):
Waiting for the elevator inside the apartment complex. Floor: Hard stone tiles.
Phone slips out of my hands because I was carrying too much stuff. This is the day I start the "Never take phone out of purse unless I'm sitting down somewhere" rule. Top right corner cracked, overall damage about 5mm big. I was lucky.

... Yesterday:
Sitting at the toilet. Of course, using my phone while doing my business. Phone slips out of my hand and falls about.. 30 CM. Bam. Same corner hit, but the damage now expands from the top right corner and downwards like a spiderweb. Not only that, but somehow the glass got random shattered lines on all the possible opposite sides of where it actually landed.

Yes.. I'm clumsy as hell and should suffer for this (which I will, with about $100). But I seriously want to warn all of you of how little it takes to crush the entire phone. You have no idea until you see it. I used an iPhone 4S before this. I was way less cautious back then because no matter how many times I dropped it, it never cracked.

Worst part is that I rarely even leave the house.. Keeping my phone in my purse when outside to prevent this exact situation, and then ironically it happens at home. While I'm at the toilet. Even getting totally smashed on a Halloween party wasn't the reason. It's embarrassing and stupid but it just takes so little to break the screen. Be aware, guys. Don't slip'n'phone.

JDeluis

Are y'all using screen protectors? I typically don't but I'm considering it for my 6+.

Yes. Spigen Crystal.
http://amzn.com/B00JH82T0K

Due to the curve screen, the majority of screen protectors don't wrap the whole way. So you have to be precise when applying them. Comes in a 3-pack for $8. I've already replaced one of them because I had something in my pocket that scribbled the screen. I also have a two year old and can't trust him. lol.

Faith

Got my iPhone 6 Plus 128GB yesterday and damn, the vibration is so loud!

Is that normal? Even my noisy Sony Xperia Z2 is not that loud :/

ElyrionX

Is everyone here using Safari? The lack of a tabs bar and the disappearing toolbar at the bottom is really getting on my nerves. The screen is so goddamn huge on the 6+, there is absolutely no need to be maximizing the browser viewing space. How does Apple even screw up something so simple?

Skele7on

Banned
waiting for my phone to arrive, should be here before 1pm....

HURRY UP PHONE!

Phone arrived has bubble under the screen looks like a manufacture fault. Went to apple store who are telling me I have to go to my phone carrier for a replacement, as they can only give me a service center repaired phone.... SUCKSS!

JDeluis

Is everyone here using Safari? The lack of a tabs bar and the disappearing toolbar at the bottom is really getting on my nerves. The screen is so goddamn huge on the 6+, there is absolutely no need to be maximizing the browser viewing space. How does Apple even screw up something so simple?

Tabs bar only appears in Horizontal view. I do agree they should give us an option to not hide the toolbar.

I love my iPhone 6 plus so far. I'm amazed at how big, yet how light and thin it is. Huge upgrade coming from a 4.

Battery usage:

bPdpbni.png

Pretty happy with this considering I use Twitch a lot.

I'm getting annoyed with showing it to people though. They keep asking if it's bent yet.

Good point. it's been pretty annoying on my 6+ these days.

Anyone have recommended browsers? how is mobile Chrome these days?

edit: smfh I tried to open chrome and it instantly crashes. any other better browsers utilizing the screen size?

edit2: anyone use this Mercury browser before? impressions?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got my iPhone 6! One day delivery!

My iPhone 5S went through the washer and dryer ;_;

Restoring from backup didn't restore anything oddly enough.

I like it a lot, I'm surprised at how smooth the edge of the screen is.

X-Frame

If I order an iPhone to my house (delivery estimate is 3-4 weeks for the Plus) and the phone becomes available for store pick-up before that time, can I grab one at the store instead?

Or can I have my phone shipped straight to an apple store of my choice? It doesn't seem to give me an option to ship to / pick up in a store if the phone currently isn't in stock.

SJRB

Gold Member
Finally received my iPhone 6. Coming off of a 5, the size was kind of a shock at first, but I got used to it extremely fast. I've been manually moving my entire contact list over, because for some fucking reason that synch backup shit still never works at it should. I have literally NEVER had a smooth transfer from one phone to the next, there's always something wrong which results in me manually inputting every contact myself.

Anyway, I've been fiddling with the 6 for maybe an hour or two, and already the 5 feels super small when I hold it now. Especially when typing, the keyboard is so crammed.

Other than that I can't really comment on anything. It feels way more fragile than the sturdy 5, but the design is smooth and sexy. The TouchID stuff is pretty remarkable too. Also, opting for 16gb was a colossal error when I found out nearly 4gb of that was already reserved for the OS and stuff.

I guess I can spend the entire weekend on transfering my music library. REALLY looking forward to that...

Edit: I keep pressing the top of the phone to lock it, hahaha. So weird having the button on the side now.

pronk420

i remember seeing someone complaining that the white phones looked a bit odd with the black gap between the screen and the bezel, it that still noticable with the 6/6plus or has it gotten better?

i like the white colour but that little black gap around the screen might get annoying

ZeroX03

Banned
This 4G data drain is frustrating. Ever since I've turned cellular off my phone keeps giving me notifications that cellular is turned off while using Wi-Fi. I think the phone's mini Wi-Fi drops are being supplemented by 4G because I can't see any specific increase in data usage, just more in general.

Dreading my phone bill.

Just got my six plus in the mail. Should I just keep and use the charger that it came with, or is it worth getting the iPad charger?

And if it is worth getting the iPad charger, can someone link me to it on the apple store so I know exactly what to get?

I've switched to an iPad charger and it's night and day for me. I would recommend it. I think it's this one? I'm using the one from my iPad.

RedSwirl

Asking again, but what's the performance difference between this thing and an iPad Mini (non-retina)?

Also, has anyone here pretty much stopped using their iPad (or other tablet) after getting a 6+? I'm consistently worried that might happen to me if I got a 6+. From looking things up, it seems literally the only advantage my Mini still has is its physical screen size, which may or may not count when it comes to certain tasks.

Davey Cakes

I'm already used to the iPhone 6+ and can't imagine going back to a smaller phone.

I handled my friend's 5C recently and it felt so tiny, even with a bulky decorative case around it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Asking again, but what's the performance difference between this thing and an iPad Mini ((non-retina)

I've got a Mini first gen and a 6 Plus and the performance is much better on the 6 Plus. Screen size on the iPad is still superior but the 6 Plus does everything else better.

Unless you're into comics or something that requires a big screen it wouldn't be a stretch to stop using the iPad.

Hattori

Banned
I got my iPhone 6! One day delivery!

My iPhone 5S went through the washer and dryer ;_;

Restoring from backup didn't restore anything oddly enough.

I like it a lot, I'm surprised at how smooth the edge of the screen is.

I love the curved edge as well, it just feels really nice. It's one of the reasons I'm going with No Case + AC+ combo this time around.

Bullza2o

This 4G battery drain is frustrating. Ever since I've turned cellular off my phone keeps giving me notifications that cellular is turned off while using Wi-Fi. I think the phone's mini Wi-Fi drops are being supplemented by 4G because I can't see any specific increase in data usage, just more in general.

Do you have a 6 Plus? I was wondering if I could improve its battery by disabling LTE when not needed. I just got my phone last Thursday and before charging it I let it die from around 80% to 0%, and it lasted around 6/7 hours screen-time. Today it went from 100-42% around 4.5 hours screen-time/ 12 hours standby.

Are these okay for initial battery stats?

ecurbj

I can't decide between the iPhone 6 or the 6+...

I'm heading to the mall tomorrow anyway so I'll stop at the Apple Store to compare the two in person. I held a regular 6 already and like the feel but I just need to see the iPhone 6+ in person to justify my decision.

*sighs*

ZeroX03

Banned
Do you have a 6 Plus? I was wondering if I could improve its battery by disabling LTE when not needed. I just got my phone last Thursday and before charging it I let it die from around 80% to 0%, and it lasted around 6/7 hours screen-time. Today it went from 100-42% around 4.5 hours screen-time/ 12 hours standby.

Are these okay for initial battery stats?

That's definitely on the low end. After my first drain I had this:

I haven't really noticed any battery gain by disabling data (I'd actually meant to say data drain), sorry. It seems basically any web intensive browsing hits that battery hard, regardless of Wi-Fi or LTE.

Bullza2o

That's definitely on the low end. After my first drain I had this:

I haven't really noticed any battery gain by disabling data (I'd actually meant to say data drain), sorry. It seems basically any web intensive browsing hits that battery hard, regardless of Wi-Fi or LTE.

Okay maybe it still needs some time to get to normal (amazing) battery levels. Perhaps I set the brightness too high? I haven't touched the brightness levels and it's set at auto. Maybe setting to low brightness + auto will do the trick. This is my first iPhone, so I'm still figuring things out.

Korosenai

This 4G data drain is frustrating. Ever since I've turned cellular off my phone keeps giving me notifications that cellular is turned off while using Wi-Fi. I think the phone's mini Wi-Fi drops are being supplemented by 4G because I can't see any specific increase in data usage, just more in general.

Dreading my phone bill.

I've switched to an iPad charger and it's night and day for me. I would recommend it. I think it's this one? I'm using the one from my iPad.
Thanks, but I went with the power gen 2.4a charger since it was only $10.

Also, before I start using this thing I have to ask again. Is this thing completely safe to use with my six plus? It won't mess the battery up in any way shape or form?

Husker86

Thanks, but I went with the power gen 2.4a charger since it was only $10.

Also, before I start using this thing I have to ask again. Is this thing completely safe to use with my six plus? It won't mess the battery up in any way shape or form?

Barring shoddy manufacturing, which I would not be worried about based on the popularity of that brand, you shouldn't have to worry about chargers. The device will draw what it wants, the charger doesn't "force" power onto the device.

TheExodu5

Banned
I picked up a 6 Plus yesterday. I can't decide whether I want a phone this big or not. The big screen is great, but I can't type one handed and it's not terribly comfortable to hold. The worse camera and decreased battery life of the 6 would be a downgrade. Decisions, decisions.

So I was googling for iPhone 6 info cause I'm gonna be buying one soon, and stumbled upon these two rumor articles from the same site (which I've never heard of before):

http://nationalreport.net/iphone-6-facing-massive-recall/
http://nationalreport.net/apple-planning-iphone-7-release-january-2015/

Both of these are total bunk, right? Seems pretty outlandish and couldn't find any other site corroborating the claims, but I just want to double check.

lol yes

I picked up a 6 Plus yesterday. I can't decide whether I want a phone this big or not. The big screen is great, but I can't type one handed and it's not terribly comfortable to hold. The worse camera and decreased battery life of the 6 would be a downgrade. Decisions, decisions.

Well I used both for a while, couple of weeks each and when I went back to the 6, I missed the 6 Plus more. I missed reading on that screen and the battery life of it. I haven't been taking many pictures lately, so that wasn't part of the comparison.

Anyway, I ended up going back to the 6 Plus and figured it is going to be my phone.

iNvid02

6 went into a reboot loop after updating to iOS 8.1, would see a red screen and the phone would restart.

i got kinda worried but putting it into recovery mode and connecting it to iTunes to re update it fixed it all

i dont like software updates anymore

give it a week or two. it took a little bit but now I'm used to it and wouldn't have it any other way. Lovin it.

M_A_C

All right Apple you win. After much deliberating of wether to switch to Android or not from my iPhone 5, I just ordered a 128gb 6 Plus. I test drove a Moto X for 2 weeks, tried to preorder both a Oneplus One, and Nexus 6, and nothing worked out as well as I hoped, and I didn't even come close to getting a preorder. So what the heck, even though I don't like some design decisions on the 6. I've been with iPhone since the first one, and it does everything I can ask it to do and more. Now I wait 3-4 weeks.

LaneDS

Any dock or cradle recommendations for an iPhone 6? Something nice to have it on display on my desk. Not really liking what I've found so far, so recommendations welcome.

ecurbj

Well, I pulled the trigger and got the 128GB iPhone 6. I'm excited. Just waiting for the shipping notification from Best Buy!

eHLWHMW.gif

keep the plus. like you said, great screen, better camera, better battery!

the decision is already made!

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks for the reassurance. The only redundancy is that I do have a full sized iPad. But still, you guys are right, the 6 plus is the better phone.

The only problem is that I got a 16GB model...all th Apple store had. If I order the 64GB online, it could take a month to get a new phone :(.

Jimrpg

Okay, I'm writing this to make others extra aware (you are also free to mock me).

We've all read about the bending issue.. Now I don't know how you guys treat your phones but I've been VERY careful with my iPhone 6. Got a case the day I got it and have always kept it in my purse when I'm not sitting down in case I dropped it (I'm very clumsy, and also sometimes get weird muscle/nerve spasms in my right hand due to a shoulder fault).

The fact that I went from 4S to 6 also made things hard to get used to.

Anyway, here goes.

Day 7 (Sept 29):
Waiting for the elevator inside the apartment complex. Floor: Hard stone tiles.
Phone slips out of my hands because I was carrying too much stuff. This is the day I start the "Never take phone out of purse unless I'm sitting down somewhere" rule. Top right corner cracked, overall damage about 5mm big. I was lucky.

... Yesterday:
Sitting at the toilet. Of course, using my phone while doing my business. Phone slips out of my hand and falls about.. 30 CM. Bam. Same corner hit, but the damage now expands from the top right corner and downwards like a spiderweb. Not only that, but somehow the glass got random shattered lines on all the possible opposite sides of where it actually landed.

Yes.. I'm clumsy as hell and should suffer for this (which I will, with about $100). But I seriously want to warn all of you of how little it takes to crush the entire phone. You have no idea until you see it. I used an iPhone 4S before this. I was way less cautious back then because no matter how many times I dropped it, it never cracked.

Worst part is that I rarely even leave the house.. Keeping my phone in my purse when outside to prevent this exact situation, and then ironically it happens at home. While I'm at the toilet. Even getting totally smashed on a Halloween party wasn't the reason. It's embarrassing and stupid but it just takes so little to break the screen. Be aware, guys. Don't slip'n'phone.

Yep precisely why i'm going with the 6 instead of the 6 plus, the curved edges means its a bit more slippery to pick up. Also I sit my phone face up, so when I answer the call I have to rotate it in my hand, I can easily see it slipping out if I want to answer a call quickly.

What case did you get? It doesn't sound like its very protective at all.

For the most protection you need to get a hybrid plastic/silicone case. The plastic gives it the strength and the silicone the shock absorption it needs when you drop it. It should survive most falls.

Have a look at the speck range of hybrid cases.

Silicone only is also ok, but it gets discoloured quicker and there are some silicones that make it hard to slide in and out of pockets.

Plastic/Metallic only cases are for fashion only, and they barely offer any drop protection. They are generally a waste of time. The Apple leather case probably won't protect it from drops too well either.

I used to own a stall selling cases, and the amount of people coming to repair their phones was ridiculous, most people still carry it naked these days, for me its not worth a cracked screen.

Ayumi

What case did you get? It doesn't sound like its very protective at all.

Got a clear plastic case. This was right as the phone was released so there were barely any cases at all. I just got a case to prevent bending (since I tend to accidentally sleep on top of my phone, you never know). I'm getting it repaired this week and will probably change the case now that there are more kinds.

So glad I never chose a 6 Plus. Would've dropped it the same day I bought it.

Piggus

Definitely liking the camera on the 6. Here's a short test video I took from the Oregon vs. Stanford game last weekend. It's 60 fps if you have chrome and decent specs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n25GQnAzG9A

Hands were pretty shaky (you can see how the light caught in the lens isn't stabilized) though it seemed to do a decent job keeping things steady.

X-Frame

Oh man, the 6 is in stock for store pickup everywhere in NYC but the 6+ is still elusive.

My plan is still to go 6+ and try it for about a week or so and make my own decision if it's too big for my needs and then return it before the 14 days are up in exchange for a 6 if that is the case.

If I go straight for the 6 I may always be wondering if I'd prefer the 6+, so better know for sure.

TheExodu5

Banned
This 6 Plus is rather fragile. I had an iPhone 4 for years and the screen never showed signs of wear for the first year or two. I've had the 6 Plus for 4 days and it already has minor scratches.

This one is being returned, though. I ordered a 64GB Plus online since 16 just isn't enough.

I think for the fist time ever, I'm going to invest in a glass screen protector. Any recommendations?

Edit: Yes! In stock in Ottawa. Picking up a 64GB Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus today.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
A girl at my work got the gold 6 and is having massive regret at not getting the space grey (which I have). I can see that, the gold is one of those things that people think they want a lot more than they actually do want.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got a Zagg Invisible Shield for my phone. Did everything right. Still managed to get two pieces of lint under the damned thing. :( Damnit.

Top Bottom