• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Ninja Dom

Just up on Macrumors!! An issue that could affect the 128GB versions of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Macrumors said:
A number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners have been reporting an issue with the device that causes it to crash and remain stuck in a boot loop following a restart. The issue appears to primarily affect 128 GB models, particularly those with larger app libraries, and some suggest it may be a hardware problem associated with the increased storage available on that device.

While the exact cause of the issues has not been determined, speculation by industry contacts speaking to BusinessKorea (via G for Games) suggests the problem may lie in the controller for the TLC (triple-level cell) NAND flash included in the device. This issue reportedly is new to the iPhone as Apple previously has typically used MLC (multi-level cell) NAND flash in its iPhone units. The only recourse for owners experiencing this boot loop is to bring their phone back to Apple and request a replacement.

Anyone had any issues? I'm a 128GB iPhone 6 user and have had nothing so far. I've got 55GB of free space left so I don't know if I fall into the "larger app library" category.

LINK

Just up on Macrumors!! An issue that could affect the 128GB versions of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Anyone had any issues? I'm a 128GB iPhone 6 user and have had nothing so far. I've got 55GB of free space left so I don't know if I fall into the "larger app library" category.

This is just popping up now?

Silly thought: how about a case that has a wrist strap like a Wiimote? Something you can easily slip your hand through when grabbing your phone from anywhere, and if you drop the phone, it will hang from your wrist instead of falling to the floor.

DarkJC

That rumour has already been debunked by 9to5mac:

Users in Apple’s support forums have recently highlighted a rare issue that causes iPhones to crash, specifically for users with a large amount of apps installed. A majority of users noticed the problem on a 128GB iPhone Plus (the device those with large app libraries would naturally gravitate towards), although the problem isn’t specific to the iPhone 6 Plus or iOS 8. In fact, a similar problem has affected a very small amount of users since as far back as iOS 6.

So the problem with crashing is only affecting a small number of users (around 159 posts on Apple support forums with many of those from the same people). Those users also all seem to have massive app catalogs installed, sometimes in excess of 500 or 1000 apps. Sources say Apple is aware of the rare bug, but reports that the problem is related to a NAND flash issue are conjecture and inaccurate.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/04/debunk-128gb-iphone-6-plus-recall-false-crashing-bug-rare/

forgot to post an update, AT&T finally shipped mine out yesterday (64GB space gray regular) and added 2 day shipping, so it'll be here tomorrow! can't wait to get my grubby paws on it! (ordered september 29)

forgot to post an update, AT&T finally shipped mine out yesterday (64GB space gray regular) and added 2 day shipping, so it'll be here tomorrow! can't wait to get my grubby paws on it! (ordered september 29)

Damn! I ordered my plus 64gb from att&t on September 22nd and they still haven't shipped yet (shipping window is October 30-November 10th)

TheExodu5

Banned
So no reporting on the scratching issue yet? Previous iPhones were nearly scratch proof for years. Seems like users are getting hairline scratches within days with the iPhone 6.

On my new iPhone 6 (returned the old one), my glass screen protector seems less scratch prone than the screen. No marks so far.

Vyer

So no reporting on the scratching issue yet? Previous iPhones were nearly scratch proof for years. Seems like users are getting hairline scratches within days with the iPhone 6.

On my new iPhone 6 (returned the old one), my glass screen protector seems less scratch prone than the screen. No marks so far.

I haven't used a screen protector since probably the 3gs, but I would usually have maybe a very slight, thin scratch or two after 2 years of regular use.

So far on my 6 I'm not noticing anything different. Scratch free so far, been using regularly since launch.

Got my 6+ 64GB at Apple Store today.

I was trying to do a pick-up online since yesterday but error keeps popping up every Place your Order.

I was told buy the guy at Apple Store that you can only get it in store. I don't know if his lying or not

EDIT: jailbroken. :D

TheExodu5

Banned
I wonder if there's a manufacturing issue for some?

Like I said, my iPhone 4 was scratch free for years. My first 6 Plus had 2 hairline scratches after only 2 days of use. I never put it face down on a table...only face up and in my pocket.

Jimrpg

Silly thought: how about a case that has a wrist strap like a Wiimote? Something you can easily slip your hand through when grabbing your phone from anywhere, and if you drop the phone, it will hang from your wrist instead of falling to the floor.

No that's not a silly thought at all.

The ipod touch had the same thing though the strap was around the phone and not the case itself. I don't know why they don't make more cases with straps, itd be really trendy in Asia.

Prior to iphones when phones were still small, having a phone to a long neck strap was all the rage because you didn't have to put it in your pocket and it wasn't very heavy. Nokias used to have something on the case where you could loop a strap onto, but they've never had it on the iphone.

Bullza2o

Got my 6+ 64GB at Apple Store today.

I was trying to do a pick-up online since yesterday but error keeps popping up every Place your Order.

I was told buy the guy at Apple Store that you can only get it in store. I don't know if his lying or not

EDIT: jailbroken. :D

Is it relatively safe to jailbreak right now? I hear there are cpu problems after jailbreaking, and I don't want to damage my new 6 Plus I got last week.

ijm72

So many apps don't scale well on the 6+. :(
I can't believe that apps still haven't been updated to support the 6 and the 6+ There's even been cases where apps say they have been updated to support the 6 and the 6+ but when I opened them they are still scaled up.

My iPhone 6+ is riddled with hairline scratches. I'm none too pleased, of course, as I treat the thing very well. In my pocket and on the table, nothing more or less.

RedSwirl

So, when I check out the iPhone 6+ demo units I notice turning it horizontally get's me some additional keyboard buttons like arrow keys and copy/paste keys. Those would go a long way in helping me edit documents whenever I have to on a mobile device.

I just have to ask: why does it seem those keys are only on the 6+? Why can't I also get those keys on my current iPad Mini? It's got more screen real estate (and is running iOS 8).

Tigress

So, when I check out the iPhone 6+ demo units I notice turning it horizontally get's me some additional keyboard buttons like arrow keys and copy/paste keys. Those would go a long way in helping me edit documents whenever I have to on a mobile device.

I just have to ask: why does it seem those keys are only on the 6+? Why can't I also get those keys on my current iPad Mini? It's got more screen real estate (and is running iOS 8).

I don't know, it kinda ticks me off. 6+ also gets something I've wanted on the iphone in forever, landscape mode on the home screen and even ability to turn it upside down and it will right the image (you cannot do that on any other iphone).

I'm not sure why they couldn't do it on the 6, I think it has a big enough screen to be practical (hell, would really have been nice non previous iphones even with the small screens. I hated using it in landscape for something and having to switch just cause I went back to home screen).

Jimrpg

Where exactly does your first statement about the 5S being almost as fast as iPhone 6 connect with your second statement, where you're complaining about new design and speed increases?

You said it yourself, last year's phone is almost as fast as this year's phone. I myself had a 5 before the 6, and can't tell the difference in the speed. Upgrading every 24 months, I never felt like I didn't have essentially the latest and greatest. Three years is a bit longer, so perhaps that's the threshold. But I've never felt compelled to upgrade every 12 months.

Well I was just thinking looking at that chart, the iphone 5s has a big speed bump from iphone 5, and the iphone 6 is only 10% faster than the iphone 5s.

I don't have the geekbench, but the iphone 5 was a lot faster than the iphone 4s (maybe someone can correct me on this). It seems like they spent all the money on the new screen and chassis and held the speed back more or less for the iphone 6. The ipad air 2 shows that the A8X chip (ie this generation) can be much faster, so there's no reason the iphone 6 couldn't have had the same speed bump (but then it would cost more and battery life would be less etc etc)

Certainly there's no need to have the latest and greatest every year, but I thought it would have been nice if the iphone 6 was a little bit faster than it is considering its pushing more or less the same amount of pixels as the iphone 5s.

VoxPop

I love iOS but the lack of theming/customization really sucks. Getting bored with my iPhone 6 already. Jailbreak can't come any sooner.

Why can't they just make an Android device with Apple hardware, iMessage and the Apple ecosystem/apps? :[

Jimrpg

I just got my iphone 6, feels amazing coming from a 4s.

Can someone point me in the direction cool/essential apps/widgets/keyboards that type of thing for the iphone 6/iOS8?

I've looked the last 10 pages or so but can't find anything interesting to download.

VoxPop

I just got my iphone 6, feels amazing coming from a 4s.

Can someone point me in the direction cool/essential apps/widgets/keyboards that type of thing for the iphone 6/iOS8?

I've looked the last 10 pages or so but can't find anything interesting to download.

GIF Keyboard is pretty dope.

I used to use Swiftkey on my Android but I much prefer Apple's regular keyboard.

Clips has a nice widget. The apps you normally use should have been optimized for the 6/6+ already.

Jimrpg

GIF Keyboard is pretty dope.

I used to use Swiftkey on my Android but I much prefer Apple's regular keyboard.

Clips has a nice widget. The apps you normally use should have been optimized for the 6/6+ already.

Cool - I wanted to try swiftkey. Will get the GIF one too if its free.

Seems Whatsapp isn't optimized yet, as im still getting large text, weird cause its a pretty popular app.

I don't mind to have a smaller keyboard either so I get more screen space.

Jimrpg

I love iOS but the lack of theming/customization really sucks. Getting bored with my iPhone 6 already. Jailbreak can't come any sooner.

Why can't they just make an Android device with Apple hardware, iMessage and the Apple ecosystem/apps? :[

I don't know dude, that might be why its so successful, because the home screen look is so uniform on everybody's screen. As an apple fan, I'd like more customization, though it might be because if you do it yourself, it doesn't look as good as the Apple offerings, and Apple loves to protect its image.

It's probably something they can monetize in the future, I'm not saying I want them to, but we know Apple doesn't like to say no to money.

muteki

I ran across an app called "Infuse" the other day searching around, don't know how.

Its a video player that lets you pull media from various sources (links, ftp, smb, dlna, etc) and since my 6+ has a 16:9 screen I thought it would be nice watching something without black bars for a change. I have a DLNA server set up at home (PS3/Universal Media Server) and other apps have worked with it with it in a very hokey or pay-us-money-to-see-if-it-works-for-you kind of way, so I went in with really low expectations.

But Infuse works really, really well. It plays nearly everything I have tried so far, along with subtitles, styled subs, seeking, autoplay, keeps track of what I watched, pulls local copies from the server, and it is free (with IAP for a few features I don't need). I have found similar combinations of SW for my android tablet that let me do the same thing but I never thought I would see it working this well for my phone.

I don't mean to come off a a shill but I really like using DLNA to watch old shows and random things and it's normally a very hacky experience with a lot of effort needed, but this was the first time I tried it wireless on a mobile device and saw it work so well out of the box. I did just get an AC router, that probably has a lot to do with it. 10-bit encodes are still wonky, but no surprise there.

What are the best iPhone 6 plus cases out there? I wanted the leather apple one but 50 dollars for that is ridiculous.

iphone-6-plus-pull-up-case-orange-smooth-leather.jpg

I ordered this, uh uh uh you are not going to like the price.

Lanbeast

I set up family sharing with my wife...do I really have to give her permission every time she wants an app or can I give her full access?

ZeroX03

Banned
Google Drive updated, I go to use it and it's telling me to download another app just to edit my files. Go to hell Google, I'm making the full switch to the iCloud suite.

ZeroX03

Banned
Apple suite of stuff require dling multiple apps too?

You always had to. Drive never had that requirement. After it went unusuable for a month it comes back - still with bugs - and tells me I have to download more. At this point I'm just giving up on Google, same reason I've forever stopped updating my Facebook app.

Erebus

What app do you guys use to store sensitive info such as passwords, credit cards etc?

I'd rather something that only keeps the info locally on my phone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought an iPhone! Gonna go pick it up at 10.

Pbae

So I've been using the Roocase Gelledge case for around 2-3 weeks and I think it might be the best case out there that I've used. It's a full protection case so it comes with a built in screen protector and it's totally clear with a trim of accent color.

roocase-iphone-6-gelledge-white.jpg

The case hasn't had a single scratch on the plastic part and I'm pretty clumsy and dropped it a few times and it's been stellar at keeping my phone pristine.

Only downside I have, and it's minor, is that the dye of my jeans have colored the clear silicon bumper slightly.

Also, if you have the gold iphone 6 like I do, you should probably get the arctic white color as the gold one doesn't look nearly as good.

Gelledge from Amazon

Top Bottom