• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I really do not know what to do. My contract with Sprint is up, and I'm in desperate need of a new phone. However, the phone I want is still a while off(either the Xperia Z3 if it comes to Sprint, or the next big LG phone) so I'm considering getting the iPhone 6 Plus and than selling it once one of the phones I want comes out and buying it off contract. Or maybe in the meantime it'll convince me to keep it by being awesome, who knows?

What would you guys do?

Mononoke

Banned
Try to order a 5s on the site right now through on Apple.com. See what information you'll need and ask for it. I'm sure the process will be very similar for pre-orders this Friday.

Good thinking, thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Not seeing the ability to add a new line to existing family though this. Ruh oh. It seems like the site is only focused on existing lines that have an upgrade. You can add a new account all together, but it wants to set you up as your own separate contract (which would be separate from the family account). Bleh. Looks like she won't be able to do the pre-order.

SuperPac

So it's proprietary? Can't it work with any NFC banking outlet? Itd be terrible if the vendor needs to subscribe to Apple Pay and not just standard NFC shit.

If that's the case, there's going to be a lot of confusion come October. :D

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

It has the regular pay-via-NFC symbol and says you can pay using your phone anywhere you see it. The retailers mentioned are just ones that have it and are considered "partners." Pretty sure some of those already had NFC payment POS stations anyway.

The difference between Apple Pay and NFC payments SEEMS to be that Apple Pay is in-app, done without creating an account or filling out contact information, etc. So you can buy things from Target's app, from Panera's app, from OpenTable, and get a car from Uber all without creating an account (they just use the information Apple already has on file).

Though, they call both parts Apple Pay. Confusing. :|

ZeroX03

Banned
I really do not know what to do. My contract with Sprint is up, and I'm in desperate need of a new phone. However, the phone I want is still a while off(either the Xperia Z3 if it comes to Sprint, or the next big LG phone) so I'm considering getting the iPhone 6 Plus and than selling it once one of the phones I want comes out and buying it off contract. Or maybe in the meantime it'll convince me to keep it by being awesome, who knows?

What would you guys do?

Apple phones usually hold their value pretty well, grab a 6 Plus, throw it in a good case and you should be able to get most of your money back if you do decide to keep it. I've got a 5S in great condition I bought on launch and it looks like I'll get 70% or so of what I paid back for it. Not bad for like 11 months later!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Question: Do any of you guys know whether or not the Apple Store app on the iPhone will allow one to preorder an unlocked iPhone? I was looking at the app and I don't see T-Mobile as an option in configuration, just Sprint/Verizon/ATT

Does anybody have the details on this $200 Verizon trade-in deal? If you go to their website and do the "appraise device" thing they only offer you $110 for an iPhone 4s 32gb. But what I've been hearing is $200 for for any iphone newer than the 4 as like some sort of special promotion.

Apple phones usually hold their value pretty well, grab a 6 Plus, throw it in a good case and you should be able to get most of your money back if you do decide to keep it. I've got a 5S in great condition I bought on launch and it looks like I'll get 70% or so of what I paid back for it. Not bad for like 11 months later!
Thanks, that's probably what I'll do then. Out of curiosity, where are you selling your 5S?

yami4ct

So if my mother trades in her 4S she'll only need to spend $100 to get a 16GB 6+ through Verizon?

4S qualifies for the $200 GC deal, so it'll essentially only be whatever tax and activation fee Verizon is charging cost-wise and the extra $100 for the + version. You'll get the GC later, so you shell up extra up front, but after you take that off your bill, yes it will essentially be $100 base price for 6+.

Couple question for people who've ordered online before (I have, but honestly can't remember), how does the Apple purchase limit work? They haven't listed any on the US store, but I kind of assume it'll happen day of if they haven't stated. If I order 2 pluses from apple and 1 regular from Verizon (need to it seems to qualify for trade-in program anyway), will I run into trouble? Also in regards to two-year contract, if I order two from apple and 1 from verizon will I run into trouble in regards to contract pricing?

hitsugi

My eye is twitching a bit. I hadn't realized how bad it was until now.

I mean why call it retina HD even? All they did was keep the same density but increase the screen size.

Because they met/surpassed the 720p standard of high definition, thus, being able to define it as "HD" as well. The screen is still an improvement in other aspects, though.

DSKMan

Banned
If that's the case, there's going to be a lot of confusion come October. :D

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/

It has the regular pay-via-NFC symbol and says you can pay using your phone anywhere you see it. The retailers mentioned are just ones that have it and are considered "partners." Pretty sure some of those already had NFC payment POS stations anyway.

The difference between Apple Pay and NFC payments SEEMS to be that Apple Pay is in-app, done without creating an account or filling out contact information, etc. So you can buy things from Target's app, from Panera's app, from OpenTable, and get a car from Uber all without creating an account (they just use the information Apple already has on file).

Though, they call both parts Apple Pay. Confusing. :|

huh, this is no different than google wallet, I use google wallet, I don't need to create any accounts.

DOWN

Banned
What colour is everyone getting?

Black. The original and classic for a reason.

Really tho, white just sucks at preserving the illusion of contrast. Black is my favorite and is the one I associate with iPhone.

wihio

So it seems like you have to put a lot of upfront cost with it, right?

I can't just trade this in store and get it squared away there?

I had a conversation with verizon and it sounds like if you pre-order, you must jump through the hoops and wait for the credit. if you go into a store on the 19th, you can have the credit applied at purchase. that is what i was told.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
What colour is everyone getting?

space gray.

I don't think I will have too much of a problem pre-ordering tomorrow night, I doubt people are going to go head over heels for the 128 gb plus model.

I've been thinking real hard about it and am going to opt for a bigger screen. After getting an ipad, I kind of loathe squinting at my iphone 5. Plus, dat landscape + battery life.

Crimmy

Do preorders go up at 12am eastern time Sept 12th? I haven't done this in a while. I usually go day 1 and wait in line with the other crazies but I'd rather preorder this time in advance.

Do preorders go up at 12am eastern time Sept 12th? I haven't done this in a while. I usually go day 1 and wait in line with the other crazies but I'd rather preorder this time in advance.

No, it's 3am Eastern.

space gray.

I don't think I will have too much of a problem pre-ordering tomorrow night, I doubt people are going to go head over heels for the 128 gb plus model.

I've been thinking real hard about it and am going to opt for a bigger screen. After getting an ipad, I kind of loathe squinting at my iphone 5. Plus, dat landscape + battery life.

Pretty sure I'm going to go with the 128GB 6 Plus. My wife's going with either the 64 or 128GB 6.

gimmmick

I understand this. However, I still thought the 4.7 model would have a much better battery than the 5S, as well as a better screen. It's the same screen, just .7 inches bigger. I comprehend why the 6+ is better than the 6. What I don't get is why the 6 isn't much better than the 5S.

I think it was it was common consensus that the 5s was the best S update apple ever release? Maybe apple is perfectly contempt with the tech they have going with the iphone line up? (the 5/5s's retina screen is still nice to look at, and has aged really well) I'm pretty sure if we look back at it 3 years ago, the 5 didn't seem as a big of an upgrade to the 4s.

spekkeh

Banned
Maybe apple is perfectly contempt with the tech

robert-de-niro-loves-world-cup-soccer-crash-party.gif

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Apologies if this has been posted somewhere and I've missed it, but has anyone seen any press photos of the iPhone 6/6+ with the screen turned off? The Apple publicity shots make it look like you can't see where the screen ends/bezel starts, which seems like bullshit, but I want to see for myself in case it's true. Would be nice if so. Obviously only works for the black one, though.
No, it's 3am Eastern.

That would be 7am GMT. Perfect. I can wake up and order myself and my girlfriend one. I think we'll both be getting the 64gb iPhone 6, mine in It's-a-shame-it's-not-black Grey and hers in gold. Here's a countdown for people who are planning on ordering one:

t1410508800z1.png

sirap

I think it was it was common consensus that the 5s was the best S update apple ever release? Maybe apple is perfectly contempt with the tech they have going with the iphone line up? (the 5/5s's retina screen is still nice to look at, and has aged really well) I'm pretty sure if we look back at it 3 years ago, the 5 didn't seem as a big of an upgrade to the 4s.

5s is a beast no doubt about that. Every time Apple updates the iphones to a new form specs rarely get a significant bump. That's why I always wait for the xs versions.

Addnan

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere and I've missed it, but has anyone seen any press photos of the iPhone 6/6+ with the screen turned off? The Apple publicity shots make it look like you can't see where the screen ends/bezel starts, which seems like bullshit, but I want to see for myself in case it's true. Would be nice if so. Obviously only works for the black one, though.

That would be 7am GMT. Perfect. I can wake up and order myself and my girlfriend one. I think we'll both be getting the 64gb iPhone 6, mine in It's-a-shame-it's-not-black Grey and hers in gold. Here's a countdown for people who are planning on ordering one:
http://secondapps.com/countdown/t1410508800z1.png
Ah ok, so it's not by region? Will have to go to gym later than usual. Noo.

Stig94

Neo Member
I assumed it would be at 12am depending on your location? Im in the UK.

Never pre-ordered any Apple device, So its not tonight?

Addnan

Oh, I don't know. I just assumed it'd be the same everywhere. It's 8am UK time, I'll be up before then and checking the site anyway.

I assumed it would be at 12am depending on your location? Im in the UK.

Never pre-ordered any Apple device, So its not tonight?

Just googling and apparently the 5 was up at 8am BST, so guess it will be the same again. Will still be up at 12am so not really an issue but we'll see. Rather 12am than 8am.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm actually going on holiday tomorrow, will be getting a flight at 10:45 so I'd like 12am too but am fully expecting attempting to pre-order while sitting in the airport.

So who thinks that all the people trying to pre-order will crash the site or they'll all be sold out quickly? Because staying up late in the U.S. to do this only for it to end in disappointment will suck.

I understand this. However, I still thought the 4.7 model would have a much better battery than the 5S, as well as a better screen. It's the same screen, just .7 inches bigger. I comprehend why the 6+ is better than the 6. What I don't get is why the 6 isn't much better than the 5S.

There's probably a larger battery inside the 6, but the larger screen eats up what would be battery life gains. The desire to continuously shrink the case isn't doing it any favors either.

Edit: And obviously the 6 Plus's larger screen isn't enough to negate the gains in battery life.

Top Bottom