• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Meffer

Ordered a 16GB 6 through Verizon and should hopefully arrive next week. And ordered the Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal case as well. Pretty excited since I'm upgrading from a 4.

Ashhong

Hey guys my dad just got his 6 plus, and the battery doesn't seem to be charging. He plugs it in and the meter doesn't change. He restarted the phone and it dropped from 49 to 17. Since then it's not changing from 17. Is there something I'm missing or is it just defective?

You guys think Apple stores have refurb plus yet or still brand new?

mrkgoo

Hey guys my dad just got his 6 plus, and the battery doesn't seem to be charging. He plugs it in and the meter doesn't change. He restarted the phone and it dropped from 49 to 17. Since then it's not changing from 17. Is there something I'm missing or is it just defective?

You guys think Apple stores have refurb plus yet or still brand new?

Is there any indication that it's charging at all? Like does the Lightning holt icon appear?

Experiment with different chargers and cables and try a hard reset (hold sleep/wake and home buttons for about 10 seconds when yousee the machine turn off and then back on with he apple logo).

Ashhong

Is there any indication that it's charging at all? Like does the Lightning holt icon appear?

Experiment with different chargers and cables and try a hard reset (hold sleep/wake and home buttons for about 10 seconds when yousee the machine turn off and then back on with he apple logo).

There is the Lightning bolt but the numbers just aren't changing. I had him try different cables, and iPad charger, a pc, nothing. Even updated the phone and then tried to do a restore as well but kept failing halfway, saying it couldn't find the device. So weird

You think apple would fix this or just replace? really don't want a refurb, especially as this was a brand new phone, just unused for about a month while they were out of the country..

I did it online through the AT&T Premier website. And no, Im not concerned at all, since both phones are practically new, getting them at less than half the price was worth the risk!

Crazy, I can't find them for that price you quoted.

How are you liking the size of the 6+ by the way? What phone did you come from previously?

Fuchsdh

Absolutely. iOS is pretty unbearable without jailbreak.

How so? The only reason I ever jailbroke was because I liked to theme things and I enjoyed the control panel you could add (which became irrelevant once iOS 7 came around.)

The Verizon store was out of 64GB so I had to order my white 6. Hilariously the Verizon reps there had to go through the same "call general line, get put on hold" to do the whole process. Their customer service is shit even within their own company.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The 6plus needs rotation lock. It would greatly reduce the number of times I want to toss it out the window.

And landscape split keyboard. I don't care about anything else I'm going to take hostages until those are implemented. God, a split keyboard allows more viewable space too. Man.

Husker86

The 6plus needs rotation lock. It would greatly reduce the number of times I want to toss it out the window.

And landscape split keyboard. I don't care about anything else I'm going to take hostages until those are implemented. God, a split keyboard allows more viewable space too. Man.

Don't all iOS devices have rotation lock in control center?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No the 6plus gets the truly hilarious practical joke that is "portrait orientation lock" for real. If you have the phone in landscape, and hit that button in control center it snaps the UI into portrait mode.

MwvlolZ.jpg
I'm a big shared links user. Im not sure when they started allowing you to just subscribe to sites wholesale instead of using a Twitter feed. But it's absolutely 👏😻👌when paired with landscape split view. All other ways to browse the Internet are inferior. And most sites are designed to fit within the single pane width anyhow.

Ashhong

No the 6plus gets the truly hilarious practical joke that is "portrait orientation lock" for real. If you have the phone in landscape, and hit that button in control center it snaps the UI into portrait mode.

Lolol that is funny. So is it a glitch they are aware of?

ecurbj

MacRumors said:
Apple today released iOS 8.1.2 to the public, introducing bug fixes and addressing an issue that caused ringtones purchased through the iTunes Store to be removed from an iOS device.
I will update later tonight.

MisterR

Anyone have experience with getting a certified like-new device from AT&T?

Their website claims that these devices were ones returned within the 14 day return window they offer for all upgrades.

The price is cheap enough that I'm considering getting one vs a brand new one, but I'm not sure what sort of risk I'm putting myself into getting one.

Got one this week. It looks brand new and has been great so far. I've gotten them in the past too and they worked perfectly.

i was dumbfounded to find the silence lock couldn't be changed to lock rotation.

Crazy, I can't find them for that price you quoted.

How are you liking the size of the 6+ by the way? What phone did you come from previously?

The size is PERFECT coming from a Note 3. I really like how sleek the whole package feels. I do miss Android but I have a Nexus 7 so its all good.

I think the offer I found was a Thanksgiving weekend thing. But keep your eyes peeled because sometimes gems like that fall on the Premier website.

Vyer

There is the Lightning bolt but the numbers just aren't changing. I had him try different cables, and iPad charger, a pc, nothing. Even updated the phone and then tried to do a restore as well but kept failing halfway, saying it couldn't find the device. So weird

You think apple would fix this or just replace? really don't want a refurb, especially as this was a brand new phone, just unused for about a month while they were out of the country..

I doubt it would be a refurb yet, but even if it was I really wouldn't worry about it. Apple refurbished are usually spotless anyway.

sigh I feel you on this. Really disappointing this wasn't implemented before launch. Ridiculous actually.

This shit better be in the next update. Like whats the point of making a bigger phone if your OS isn't going to utilize it.

Malo

Banned
Just got my iPhone 6 in today. Can anyone recommend me some cases and a good rss app? I'm coming over from android.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my iPhone 6 in today. Can anyone recommend me some cases and a good rss app? I'm coming over from android.

For RSS I'd try adding websites to shared links in Safari. When you're on a page invoke the bookmark UI, click the @ symbol list and at the very bottom hit "subscribe to website."

Its 👌 as hell. But doesn't have any features like starring or marking as read, etc. Its just a fat scrollable list of content. Makes the most sense on the 6+ in landscape view.

Malo

Banned
For RSS I'd try adding websites to shared links in Safari. When you're on a page invoke the bookmark UI, click the @ symbol list and at the very bottom hit "subscribe to website."

Its 👌 as hell. But doesn't have any features like starring or marking as read, etc. Its just a fat scrollable list of content. Makes the most sense on the 6+ in landscape view.
I'm actually using chrome and those features are important for me.

Furyous

Absolutely. iOS is pretty unbearable without jailbreak.

I disagree because unlike other platforms iOS users don't have to jailbreak to change basic app permissions.

Moving on....

I looked at the certified like new ATT offers and screw that. You save $150 off the no contract 128 GB iphone 6. However, that's not enough for me. That discount is steeper come next April.

I can afford an iphone 6 but my bank doesn't support Apple Pay and I absolutely refuse to buy a phone with 1 GB of RAM in 2014. I know this isn't android but this rubs me the wrong way for some odd reason. It's not an Apple tax thing but more of a wait and see approach. I want the device but let's say it takes my bank 1 year to support Apple Pay. At that point the new iphone (possibly 4 inch if rumors are to be believed, yes please) will be out with better specs.

FYI, I'm using an iphone 5 and love it.

DarkJC

I disagree because unlike other platforms iOS users don't have to jailbreak to change basic app permissions.

Moving on....

I looked at the certified like new ATT offers and screw that. You save $150 off the no contract 128 GB iphone 6. However, that's not enough for me. That discount is steeper come next April.

I can afford an iphone 6 but my bank doesn't support Apple Pay and I absolutely refuse to buy a phone with 1 GB of RAM in 2014. I know this isn't android but this rubs me the wrong way for some odd reason. It's not an Apple tax thing but more of a wait and see approach. I want the device but let's say it takes my bank 1 year to support Apple Pay. At that point the new iphone (possibly 4 inch if rumors are to be believed, yes please) will be out with better specs.

FYI, I'm using an iphone 5 and love it.

The iPhone 5 is still a great phone. Sounds like waiting for the 6S series is the right choice for you, especially since you care about the RAM.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the 5 should still be ace for another year. The three year cycle is the one true cycle.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Any portable chargers available for the iPhone 6? Those ones you can charge, carry it with you, and plug your phone into to it to recharge. I don't want to ruin my battery buying something incompatible.

I have a 9 hour flight and it would be nice to recharge my phone on the plane.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Any portable chargers available for the iPhone 6? Those ones you can charge, carry it with you, and plug your phone into to it to recharge. I don't want to ruin my battery buying something incompatible.

Before you go spending money on that, check with the airline. A lot of planes have USB ports these days.

kaskade

Check out anker on Amazon. They have all different ones depending on size/how much power you want. They have one that's like a little bigger than a lip stick and will give you one full charge. You can get ones that'll give you like 2-3 charges which aren't too big either. I bought my friend one for his bday when he went to a convention and loved it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Iowa is on top of it.

I use Apple pay at whole foods but still need my ID for beer.

We were talking about third party keyboards and I figured text expander probably is making good use of that feature. Will report back.

rezuth

I'm a big shared links user. Im not sure when they started allowing you to just subscribe to sites wholesale instead of using a Twitter feed. But it's absolutely 👏😻👌when paired with landscape split view. All other ways to browse the Internet are inferior. And most sites are designed to fit within the single pane width anyhow.

How do you reproduce that? I have never seen ti before.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Before you go spending money on that, check with the airline. A lot of planes have USB ports these days.

Just called, no luck there.

Check out anker on Amazon. They have all different ones depending on size/how much power you want. They have one that's like a little bigger than a lip stick and will give you one full charge. You can get ones that'll give you like 2-3 charges which aren't too big either. I bought my friend one for his bday when he went to a convention and loved it.

I'm ordering one, says it can charge an iPhone 5s 5 times. If I can get two charges out of it on my 6, I'm set. Thanks for the suggestion, this is going to be so useful for many different things!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How do you reproduce that? I have never seen ti before.
The screenshot?
In safari just open the shared links panel (the @ symbol on the bookmarks menu) and tilt the phone sideways. It's a good one. I believe that split view is on the 6+ only though.

Placed my order through AT&T Tuesday night. Says it's not gonna ship until between the 16th-18th.

That seems like a really long time for something to get shipped that's listed as "In Stock" on the website.

Anyone have a similar experience?

VoxPop

Some great JB tweaks for anyone interested

Auxo 3

Activator - custom gestures, button and shortcut manager

AlarmNotifier - one of the great things on Android. Let's you know how much time till an alarm goes off after you set it said:

Alkaline - Themeable status bar batteries said:

Animate iOS8 - Custom boot logos. said:

Barrel - Custom transition animations said:

BioLockdown - lock any of your apps via TouchID said:

GroovyLock - Widgets and other themes for your lock screen said:

iFile - File Manager for iOS said:

iWidgets - self explanatory said:

MovieBox - Popcorn Time for your iPhone/iPad said:

NCObey - Shows your notifications first when swiping down your notification center instead of the Today tab. Shows the Today tab only when you have no notifications.

NoSlowAnimations - speeds up all iOS animations to a custom speed. Makes your phone seem lightning fast

Bytafont 2 - Change the system font or whatever else you want to change said:

Springtomize 3 - Customize pretty much any aspect of your phone

Winterboard - Theme manager said:

Zeppelin - Custom carrier text / images said:

FolderEnhancer - Custom folders, nested folders, custom folder icons, custom grids, etc

Aeternum - Apple Watch UI on iPhone/iPad said:
tons of other tweaks, will post more if interested

This is nice to finally see. I'm surprised pandora still isn't updated though.

I think it's the last app I'm waiting for.

That and Outlook Web Access, which was hilariously, "we're going to update the canvas size to the iPhone 6 in our last update, but not implement Autolayout or scaling".

Vyer

Some great JB tweaks for anyone interested

Auxo 3

Activator - custom gestures, button and shortcut manager

NCObey - Shows your notifications first when swiping down your notification center instead of the Today tab. Shows the Today tab only when you have no notifications.

NoSlowAnimations - speeds up all iOS animations to a custom speed. Makes your phone seem lightning fast

Springtomize 3 - Customize pretty much any aspect of your phone

FolderEnhancer - Custom folders, nested folders, custom folder icons, custom grids, etc

tons of other tweaks, will post more if interested

very cool.

i don't really get the point of alarmnotifier though.

kaskade

The Verge posted an article about some of the bigger apps who haven't updated the UI yet. It really is kind of crazy that some of them haven't done it 3 months later. I kind of assumed banks would be pretty behind the curve but not stuff like Pandora were I'm assuming mobile is a huge part of their business. I know it's not a huge deal but kinda weird.

mrkgoo

The Verge posted an article about some of the bigger apps who haven't updated the UI yet. It really is kind of crazy that some of them haven't done it 3 months later. I kind of assumed banks would be pretty behind the curve but not stuff like Pandora were I'm assuming mobile is a huge part of their business. I know it's not a huge deal but kinda weird.
There are a lot of factors in development that can lead to delay. For one, they may monitor usage of their app on different devices and find that the proportion of iPhone 6 users to be a certain percentage and it's currently not worth the effort for introducing the feature to that portion compared to the risk of breaking it for the rest.

Obviously testing is a really huge part of development, but Devs don't necessarily get preferential treatment and have to get devices through regular and sometimes highly constrained markets. Developers in certain countries where the 6 may not even be available have an even harder time.

Depending on the size of the company they may actually want to test software in all variations of devices for stress testing purposes.

In all likelihood it's a combination of all things.

Top Bottom