• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Apple dictated that cases should protect from a 1m fall at least. I assumed their own cases fell under this.

Check the YouTube drop test videos and read user reviews if you don't believe me. Apple recently made it a requirement for all Apple approved cases to have a raised upper lip protecting the phone from a front face fall, something their own leather case doesn't do, it barely is raised from when I tried it on my 6 Plus, then promptly returned it

Tigress

Check the YouTube drop test videos and read user reviews if you don't believe me. Apple recently made it a requirement for all Apple approved cases to have a raised upper lip protecting the phone from a front face fall, something their own leather case doesn't do, it barely is raised from when I tried it on my 6 Plus, then promptly returned it

Yeah my dad has an apple case. It had no lip and his has cracked from a drop (iPhone 5s too which I can attest are pretty durable as my 5 took a shit ton of abuse and was fine). I don't see how anyone thinks those apple cases do much. They are thin and the material isn't known for really absorbing impact and there is no lip to protect the front. A cheap silicone case or whatever the material is on those cheap cases will do far better than those apple cases.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or does touchid not work 33% of the time?
You can train Touch ID on the touch id menu page. Touch the sensor while on the page and the corresponding print will become highlighted in gray. You can walk that digit around and train out more of the finger.

Also as everybody else said the have to be dry.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You can train Touch ID on the touch id menu page. Touch the sensor while on the page and the corresponding print will become highlighted in gray. You can walk that digit around and train out more of the finger.

Also as everybody else said the have to be dry.

I'm slightly confused by your wording, but it almost sounds like you're saying when I touch touchID on the menu page and the list items hightlight grey that its actually "training more data" on my fingers? It just feels like adding more datapoints wouldn't be so opaque. It definitely doesn't feel like you're doing anything substantial.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry my wording is unclear, but yes that is correct. I wasn't convinced at first either. It is completely opaque.

You can test it by poorly registering a new finger, and leaving a large portion un-scanned. Then train that finger in the menu as described, adding the new area, then unlock your phone with it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, I guess I'll just sit around and do that for a while.
That is one of the oddest iOS quirks I've heard of.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I added probably 30 new impressions of my right thumb.. and it actually seems better.
It might just be my confirmation bias though.. I'll let you guys know in a few days.

jts

...hate me...
My father's iPhone got smashed against the floor so only half of the digitizer works.

Is there any alternative way I can authorise my computer so I can backup its contents before taking it to be swapped?

Or at least a way to check what is the latest backup to iCloud?

Enco

I jailbroke my iPad recently and just downloaded an awesome new tweak that allows you to have splitscreen apps. It uses the reachability design in the new iPhones but it works on everything.

If anyone is jailbroken and has a 6+, I can imagine it would be really neat. Check it out. I haven't used it much and it's not perfect but it'll be nice to have until Apple get their own form of splitscreen in.

So I added probably 30 new impressions of my right thumb.. and it actually seems better.
It might just be my confirmation bias though.. I'll let you guys know in a few days.

I heard about this a while ago and can confirm your confirmation. I still get random issues where it won't read, but adding more impressions of my prints did help it open up more reliably.

mrkgoo

It's not that I don't believe you or anything, it was just an assumption I made.

I feel all cases offer varying levels of protection as it really depends on the kind of drop and onto what surface.

was looking at the iphone 6 but the contract is mad. £30 upfront, £43 a month for 24 months for 2GB data with unlimited text/calls. would cost me over a grand by the time its done.

I could buy the phone out right for £530 and save myself in the long run, but the pain of spending so much at once on a phone is too much.

I could afford it, but just barely.

itll be beans and bread for the next 2 months.

any advice?

lupinko

iPhoneGAF I'm thinking about upgrading from my 5 which has caused me nothing but problems (eg this is the warranty replacement, battery draining glitch, it's seen better days) compared to my 3G and 4. I only stuck around because of ecosystem and the fact it's an unlocked 64gb. I was wondering if I should buy a 6 or 6+ early in 2015 or hold out until the plus refresh which is likely to have 2gb ram.

I'd buy the phone from the U.S. or Canada since Japan doesn't sell unlocked iPhones.

I haven't tried a full restore and backup to deal with the battery issue yet.

iPhoneGAF I'm thinking about upgrading from my 5 which has caused me nothing but problems (eg this is the warranty replacement, battery draining glitch, it's seen better days) compared to my 3G and 4. I only stuck around because of ecosystem and the fact it's an unlocked 64gb. I was wondering if I should buy a 6 or 6+ early in 2015 or hold out until the plus refresh which is likely to have 2gb ram.

I have yet to see anything about the magical 2GB of RAM making a sweeping change in my web browsing. I think it's perfectly legit to wait for the 6S; maybe they revise the frame a bit, you'll see a newer CPU, etc...but the 6 is a great phone now and I have not regretted the jump from my 5. TouchID + 1Password has been great. Even the official soft case is good.

The 6+ is interesting but ultimately just too damn big for a phone. Highly recommend trying one out in an Apple Store / Target / wherever though, everyone has their own opinion on it!

DarkJC

Touch ID is the biggest reason I wanted to update from the 5 to the 6, personally (not just for 1password, but also some other financial apps I use, Dropbox, etc.). Although I also like the bigger screen and everything else, Touch ID is just so nice. Can't wait until Apple Pay rolls out in Canada, the readers are already everywhere here.

lupinko

I have yet to see anything about the magical 2GB of RAM making a sweeping change in my web browsing. I think it's perfectly legit to wait for the 6S; maybe they revise the frame a bit, you'll see a newer CPU, etc...but the 6 is a great phone now and I have not regretted the jump from my 5. TouchID + 1Password has been great. Even the official soft case is good.

The 6+ is interesting but ultimately just too damn big for a phone. Highly recommend trying one out in an Apple Store / Target / wherever though, everyone has their own opinion on it!

I don't know why I called the S line plus whoops. Lol

Anyway I've tried both phones at Yodobashi Camera and I'm really impressed. I prefer the 6's screen to the 6+ but the bigger battery sways me.

Size isn't much of an issue but I do use my iPhone as a MP3 player heavily so having a 6+ strapped to my arm is silly.

I can definitely hold out until September 2015. 128gb too is also of interest to me as well.

I would like iOS 9 and 2GB of RAM to be the point where mobile web browsing starts to behave identically to PC web browsing. No more refreshing pages ever, if possible.

Hell, with the increased densities and reduced power consumption and cost of LPDDR4, let's move right to 3GB or 4GB. It makes sense, on an iPad.

2015 is going to be a really interesting year for Apple products. I fully expect the auto layout and size agnosticism that Apple has been moving toward over the last few years to result in Universal apps becoming more standard, especially to add things like split-screen multitasking support.

Got a 6 last night, and am having an annoying time syncing things over to it. NONE of my custom ringtones will go over to it, even when they show up in iTunes and will go over to my old iPhone 5.

I looked up a lot of the solutions online, and none seem to work. Any ideas?

And it shouldn't take twenty minutes to just sync about ten tones that are tiny file sizes.

Big Chungus

anyone know if that sndeepinfo site is legit?

trying to check if my iphone 6 was manufactured recently so i entered my serial number on there.

they couldnt do anything bad if they knew my serial number could they?

Vyer

Got a 6 last night, and am having an annoying time syncing things over to it. NONE of my custom ringtones will go over to it, even when they show up in iTunes and will go over to my old iPhone 5.

I looked up a lot of the solutions online, and none seem to work. Any ideas?

And it shouldn't take twenty minutes to just sync about ten tones that are tiny file sizes.

Do you have 8.1.2?

This is from the changelog:

This release includes bug fixes and addresses a problem where ringtones purchased through the iTunes Store may have been removed from your device. To restore these ringtones, visit itunes.com/restore-tones from your iOS device.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Apple Pay really is a gigantic deal. You can use it without looking. Which actually kinda makes a difference. I'm usually chatting with the cashier at WF because I live right next door and am there 3x a day and everyone knows me so its a more social interaction.. it actually makes a big difference using Apple Pay. I can just hold my thumb on the touchID sensor and put the phone there and don't even have to break eye contact with the person I'm talking to. Its just much nicer.

I wish there was some sort of API or something to have finance tracking apps automatically update with the notification that Apple Pay sends you about your purchase.. but baby steps.. it genuinely is a nice feature, 99.9% of the niceness is that you don't even have to look at your phone or the Point of sale kiosk. I genuinely is hassle free.

Do you have 8.1.2?

This is from the changelog:

This release includes bug fixes and addresses a problem where ringtones purchased through the iTunes Store may have been removed from your device. To restore these ringtones, visit itunes.com/restore-tones from your iOS device.
I am on that version. Only one ringtone was purchased. The others were made in Garage Band.

EDIT: Alright, it seems that iTunes forgot the location of the files themselves. I found the files on the computer and in iTunes, but iTunes was looking in the wrong location. All seems well now.

And the one purchased ringtone is showing now, so thank you for the link.

pdk27

So, this seems like as good a place as any to get opinions. Getting a new phone next week. Currently I have a iPhone 5. Still be going back and forth on whether to get the 6 or go 6+. Is the extra screen size/better battery/better camera been worth the trouble pocketing the 6+? Do most popular games at this point take advantage of the resolution? Do any games/apps besides Apple's native apps take advantage of landscape mode? Also I currently use my phone to track my runs. How ridiculous would a iPhone 6+ be strapped to my arm?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Paprika is a pretty top10 recipe app. It parses webpages like instappaper does but separates the ingredient list and directions. It's pretty great and has a safari extension to boot.

Smellycat

I just bought an iPhone 6 plus today. I picked up the phone once to make a phone call, and put it back in the box. I went home and took it out of the box again, and I noticed that it was scratched from the bottom on the back WTF

It must have been already scratched when I got it, because I literally only picked it up twice!!!

Do you think the Apple Store will take it back?

So fucking bummed right now.

I was in my friends appt. on NYE and we got robbed while we were sleeping. Some motherfucker stole wallets, purses, and my 6+

Now i'm phoneless. Word of warning for everyone...Find My iPhone was fucking useless because it only gave a range of addresses. It might be wise to invest in mobile protection insurance. Apparantly, this is the only way AT&T will help pinpoint an exact location of a stolen phone.

I just bought an iPhone 6 plus today. I picked up the phone once to make a phone call, and put it back in the box. I went home and took it out of the box again, and I noticed that it was scratched from the bottom on the back WTF

It must have been already scratched when I got it, because I literally only picked it up twice!!!

Do you think the Apple Store will take it back?

If you just got it sure why not. I'm sure you can exchange it especially if you say you noticed the scratch when you got it.

Tarkus

It seems that the reception of my 6+ isn't as good as my wife's 6. Could be the case I'm using. Anybody else noticed something like this?

well I think my TouchID just crapped out on my 6, I went into settings and it doesn't even list my registered fingerprints anymore and when I go to setup for unlock screen and apple pay it gives me a setup failed error.

Smellycat

So fucking bummed right now.

I was in my friends appt. on NYE and we got robbed while we were sleeping. Some motherfucker stole wallets, purses, and my 6+

Now i'm phoneless. Word of warning for everyone...Find My iPhone was fucking useless because it only gave a range of addresses. It might be wise to invest in mobile protection insurance. Apparantly, this is the only way AT&T will help pinpoint an exact location of a stolen phone.

If you just got it sure why not. I'm sure you can exchange it especially if you say you noticed the scratch when you got it.

Yep, I got it replaced :)

Blackhead

Redarse
iOS keyboards are still disappointing. I want a keyboard that combines swyping, cursor control and selection/copy/paste shortcuts but haven't found one that offers those three main features :(

Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Custom keyboards seem like a total bust to be honest. Maybe next year?

Internets

Hello GAF, I'm looking for a slim case with at least basic/minor protection. The ones I'm looking at are the Diztronic and the Incipio NGP. Does anyone have any experience with those 2 or have another suggestion?

Also, not so pricey screen protector if exists?

Tarkus

Hello GAF, I'm looking for a slim case with at least basic/minor protection. The ones I'm looking at are the Diztronic and the Incipio NGP. Does anyone have any experience with those 2 or have another suggestion?

Also, not so pricey screen protector if exists?
Screen protectors are not necessary. They just add bulk and ugliness. I had an iPhone since the first one and have never used a screen protector.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the best weather temperature widget. Weatherline (my fave weather temperature app, still hasn't been updated

Custom keyboards seem like a total bust to be honest. Maybe next year?
2016?! Too far away :p The stock keyboard is the worst, I can't keep using it til next year. The bugs, restrictions and memory issues are really constraining custom keyboards but they still should be some good ones available already. I don't understand why the iOS Swype doesn't have basic swiping UI additions from the Android Swype e.g. a quick shortcut for joining two swiped words together which makes accurately typing compound words easier.

There's not many more options either jailbreak side. Tweak developers are understandably staying clear of thirdparty keyboards but there's also no more efforts to bring swyping to the Apple stock keyboard. *Ugh*

Anyway from the App Store, Nintype,
Macrumors said:

iPhone 6/6+ users might want to jailbreak for HandyKey tweak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8oLzw9bmU
(a recent update includes the option for the copy/cut/paste/arrow keys in that blank space)

Happy to buy and try any more suggested keyboards...

ecurbj

Not since the iphone 4.
I'm pretty sure when you clean your screen to get smudges off and (because they due build up due to our human oil fingers) you put your iPhone up to the sun you will see micro scratches galore.

How do you even clean your screen?

Tarkus

I'm pretty sure when you clean your screen to get smudges off and (because they due build up due to our human oil fingers) you put your iPhone up to the sun you will see micro scratches galore.

How do you even clean your screen?
Maybe. Never noticed it though. I didn't know screen protectors were a big deal with Gorilla Glass phones. You would have to lose some level of responsiveness. It's overkill imo.

I don't think I know anyone that uses one on an iPhone except that plastic cover in the old tank Otterbox.

I clean weekly with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ejmzsJk.jpg
Just experienced a glitch in the matrix? It was p.cool.

I'd fuckin' love to have active tabs appear as thumbnails overlaid on the current page.

Fuchsdh

Maybe. Never noticed it though. I didn't know screen protectors were a big deal with Gorilla Glass phones. You would have to lose some level of responsiveness. It's overkill imo.

I don't think I know anyone that uses one on an iPhone except that plastic cover in the old tank Otterbox.

I clean weekly with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.

If you've got a tempered glass screen protector you really don't lose any responsiveness.

Shizuka

Helly guys! I'm new to iPhone GAF, although I have an iPad Air for a year now. I got an iPhone 6 Plus as a gift a couple of days ago and I was thinking which were the must-have apps for the platform. I've already downloaded social networking apps and a few others, but I'm sure there are plenty of great ones for iPhone users. Also, I live in Brazil, using an US account, so although I can download US-available apps, it's not much use for me apps that are made mostly for the US folk.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's about time the home button lights up like a disco ball

DarkJC

Helly guys! I'm new to iPhone GAF, although I have an iPad Air for a year now. I got an iPhone 6 Plus as a gift a couple of days ago and I was thinking which were the must-have apps for the platform. I've already downloaded social networking apps and a few others, but I'm sure there are plenty of great ones for iPhone users. Also, I live in Brazil, using an US account, so although I can download US-available apps, it's not much use for me apps that are made mostly for the US folk.

It's hard to nail down a universal list of best apps, it kinda depends on what you like doing on your phone. Maybe provide some categories of things you're looking for and you'll get some good recommendations.

Big Chungus

Can having the volume loud for a few seconds damage the speakers on the iphone 6?

I was messing around with my new phone, didnt realize the volume was at max volume and started up the room 2...

It was really loud and I feel as it could have damaged the speakers.

Top Bottom