• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Can having the volume loud for a few seconds damage the speakers on the iphone 6?

I was messing around with my new phone, didnt realize the volume was at max volume and started up the room 2...

It was really loud and I feel as it could have damaged the speakers.

Does it sound fine now? I've had my phone at max volumes before and it doesn't seem to damage it. I wouldn't worry about it

DarkJC

Yeah I don't think Apple (who sets the maximum volume) would allow you to turn it up to a point that it blows out the speakers.

I've had an issue with the iPhone since I got it, whenever I get a text message and tap on the notification it never takes me to the app but only dismiss it. I restored from an old iPhone 5s backup, could that be the issue?

Erebus

Seems like I'm finally getting my iPhone 6 in a few weeks, so I'd like some input from people who use cases with their phone.

Is Apple's silicone case worth its hefty price tag or should I just go with something cheaper like this?

Also, what are some good screen protectors?

hermit7

Seems like I'm finally getting my iPhone 6 in a few weeks, so I'd like some input from people who use cases with their phone.

Is Apple's silicone case worth its hefty price tag or should I just go with something cheaper like this?

Also, what are some good screen protectors?

No screen protector is the best.

I have been using various smartphones for around 7 years now and I haven't ever used one. Using other people's phones I feel they take away from the feel of the screen.

As for cases I used an incipio case for a while and found it to be decent enough. I haven't used apples silicon but the leather is what I am currently running and the feel is fantastic. I wouldn't throw all that money at the Silicon. There is no real difference in materials so find knew that you like and go with it.

The Chef

Guys, I have been using my 6 plus for over two weeks now and I can say my typing accuracy has probably dropped 50%. I rarely type a text message or email without it being filled with errors. Never had this issue with my iPhone 4. Am I crazy????

The autocorrect seems to get worse and worse. I love how it changes every LOL into LOLA and there's absolutely no way to stop that from happening.

JDeluis

Guys, I have been using my 6 plus for over two weeks now and I can say my typing accuracy has probably dropped 50%. I rarely type a text message or email without it being filled with errors. Never had this issue with my iPhone 4. Am I crazy????

I'm having the same problem. I texted on a iPhone 5 with ios7 a couple days ago and my accuracy was much better. I find the iPhone 6 Plus more comfortable to hold when texting, but I get a lot more errors. I've had my iPhone 6 Plus since late October. Maybe it's IOS8?

DarkJC

I have quick type on, I never see that either. It's going to be different for everyone -- you'd probably be well served by resetting your dictionary.

Erebus

No screen protector is the best.

I have been using various smartphones for around 7 years now and I haven't ever used one. Using other people's phones I feel they take away from the feel of the screen.

As for cases I used an incipio case for a while and found it to be decent enough. I haven't used apples silicon but the leather is what I am currently running and the feel is fantastic. I wouldn't throw all that money at the Silicon. There is no real difference in materials so find knew that you like and go with it.

Do you recall if the incipio case is thick enough to hide the camera bulge?

Blackhead

Redarse
Any good lanyard cases for the 6/6+? So damn thin and slippery, Apple should have added that lanyard feature like on the ipod touch :/

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Lately I've been thinking about tying a lanyard through the mute switch hole in my first party silicon case. Hell now that I'm thinking about it you could just drill a small hole through the case and do it that way. I quite the silicon case. For now at least.

I came in here to complain all the software problems I experience frequently.

I have quick type on, I never see that either. It's going to be different for everyone -- you'd probably be well served by resetting your dictionary.

I've done that already and just reset the dictionary again.

fQg9tk0.jpg

Google searching also shows a bunch of posts on reddit with people who have the same problem.

DarkJC

In that image, select the "LOL" option that quicktype presents to stop the correction. After correcting it a few times (maybe 3?) it should stop.

In that image, select the "LOL" option that quicktype presents to stop the correction. After correcting it a few times (maybe 3?) it should stop.

I've done that a hundred times. It will never get rid of LOLA.

I've already switched to SwiftKey which DOES let me permanently remove suggestions so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore anyways.

Wreav

Banned
Hello GAF, I'm looking for a slim case with at least basic/minor protection. The ones I'm looking at are the Diztronic and the Incipio NGP. Does anyone have any experience with those 2 or have another suggestion?

Also, not so pricey screen protector if exists?

The Elago slimfit2 is god tier. Been using their cases for all my phones, android or apple, for years. The perfect mix of slimness, grip, and protection IMO. I use the Indigo Jean one, since it's soft feel and grippier.

Thinking of getting a 64GB iPhone 6 through Virgin Mobile UK. I was wondering if it is best to not go with Virgin's insurance but instead get AppleCare?

DarkJC

Thinking of getting a 64GB iPhone 6 through Virgin Mobile UK. I was wondering if it is best to not go with Virgin's insurance but instead get AppleCare?

If you're looking at buying any kind of extended warranty, AppleCare is the one to get. It's really hassle free. No idea what it would be like dealing with the carrier, but I don't think they will come close to beating the on the spot replacements that AppleCare will give you if there's a problem.

ecurbj

Wow the apple silicone case kinda sucks, theres dust and other tiny things getting stuck to the case just from placing it on my desk.
That's exactly why I returned mines the same day I bought it. I wanted the black and thought it would match nicely with the Space Grey iPhone 6. Negative. The Silicone case looks more gray than black. Plus it seems to attract so much lent and dust to it.

I went back and got the black leather case instead.

If you're looking at buying any kind of extended warranty, AppleCare is the one to get. It's really hassle free. No idea what it would be like dealing with the carrier, but I don't think they will come close to beating the on the spot replacements that AppleCare will give you if there's a problem.
Thanks. I had a quick Google after posting and that seems to be the consensus. AppleCare for bumps & smashes, and contents insurance for loss or theft.

Internets

Hello GAF, I'm looking for a multi-protocol instant messaging app so I can talk with the people who still use MSN, AIM, and gmail chat (and possibly more). Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked up IMO, and they supposedly dropped some of those protocols, and that's possibly the same for other similar apps.

DarkJC

Hello GAF, I'm looking for a multi-protocol instant messaging app so I can talk with the people who still use MSN, AIM, and gmail chat (and possibly more). Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked up IMO, and they supposedly dropped some of those protocols, and that's possibly the same for other similar apps.

I don't use an all-in-one app anymore, but when I did I preferred this one: IM+ Pro7
http://www.shape.ag/en/products/details.php?product=im&platform=iphone

Blackhead

Redarse
Any TouchID-Compatible winter gloves out there? I need a recommendation asap

Reachability does NOT work with conductive touchscreen gloves and the 6 plus is just too damn unwieldy to use during the Winter season otherwise. :(

I don't know if anyone here can help me but I just found an IPhone 6 Plus at my job. It's pin locked so I can't call anyone on that phone. Is there a way to get it back to it's rightful owner? Should I call Apple or the carrier? Any help would be great.

Edit: Nevermind. The owner called the phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
So the fun part to this is whether banks will bite. CIBC, TD and RBC all have variations of their own mobile pay solution, and the TD CIO have gone on the records pushing their own and saying ApplePay is a year away.

Will be interesting to see if certain banks get in first.

Why the banks wouldn't bite? I thought their previous efforts (blackberry phones) were at the behest of the robelus carriers (secure nfc sims)? Or they don't want to give Apple a small cut? They don't need to I guess since getting an nfc-enabled credit card out of my wallet is about the same speed as fishing an iPhone 6 plus out of my pocket. I'll have to wait for the Apple Watch for a quicker/better solution.

TDCanada's mobile app is so shit (the iPad is decent though). Definitely will consider switching banks if they lag behind on Apple Pay as well. My credit card is due to expire this year anyway.

Edit: no glove recommendations? I'll have to dump this phone

DarkJC

The banks might put up a little resistance but they will bite. Apple Pay has managed to be just as convenient as tapping an NFC card (no small feat, considering banks solutions are more cumbersome) but provides an extra layer of security with TouchID authentication.

Currently NFC purchases have limits and require you to enter a PIN code if it's over a certain dollar amount. I imagine Apple Pay won't have these limits.

Wish I could help you with the glove recommendations but I don't use them. I think the problem with the current gloves is that they're conductive enough to work with a screen, but the ring around the TouchID sensor probably requires more contact than the glove provides.

Quick question. What's the best HDMI adapter to use with an iPhone 6? I saw one sold by Apple on Amazon, but $40+ seemed a bit steep to me. Any cheaper, but quality alternatives?

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
manual.app is the most required shit I've ever seen. It sucks. We need the camera shortcut on the lockscreen to be configurable now. The included app is GARBAGE. The pictures I take with manual are so fucking ace. I think even in fully automatic mode the pictures are better.

By far the best bang for your buck app.

Erebus

I got my iPhone 6 yesterday. Coming from a 4s, the difference is huge. The device is amazing but I noticed a tiny spec of dust under the camera lenses today. :(
It doesn't seem to have any effect in the photographs.

Do you guys think I should get it replaced?

DarkJC

cut the fingers off your glove. i'm pretty sure touchID uses a camera to recognize fingerprints

Nah, it's the ring around the TouchID sensor that senses the presence of a finger (and what reachability uses to trigger). It probably requires more capacitance than the gloves allow for.

Vyer

manual.app is the most required shit I've ever seen. It sucks. We need the camera shortcut on the lockscreen to be configurable now. The included app is GARBAGE. The pictures I take with manual are so fucking ace. I think even in fully automatic mode the pictures are better.

By far the best bang for your buck app.

man you ain't kidding about Manual. Very nice app so far.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
http://i.imgur.com/cIamsKl.jpg
That's my home screen. I use each of those apps every single day.

Pinner is an super useful and amazing one you might not have, it requires a pinboard account. Workflow is another that I keep in a folder but you're probably aware of it. I highly recommend Next. I'm not sure how you manage expenses but i was pretty piss poor at it until I got next.

Afterlight is another good one for the editing extension that appears in the built in photos app.

Flic is awesome. Its for processing photos after a session. Its just a clean interface to keep or delete photos. It represents your camera roll as a tindr like stack. Swipe right to keep and left to delete.

slow fast slow by studioneat is also an essential for editing your slowmo videos.

im always on the look at for new apps too so im curious what you guys are into!

Vyer

Are there any other must have apps for the 6 I should look at? Really enjoying manual at the moment. This question is for anyone.

What kind of stuff are you looking for?

camera wise, I also found Cortex Camera was pretty good for low light, though I suspect Manual will replace that. If you use Instagram, you can try Hyperlapse, which is a cool addition. Afterlight and VSCOcam for editing. 8mm is a cool little gimmick. :)

I've found Anylist to be a pretty awesome tool for my home. Cloud synched lists/grocery lists between me and my wife. The paid version includes the ability to take a recipe you've looked up in iOS Safari and pull it into the app, adding the recipe to a separate list and all the ingredients into your grocery list (marked as part of a recipe) as well. Super handy.

Apple's Trailers app and Yahoo Screen are nice to have around.

Bleacher Report's Team Stream is pretty good for daily sports scores/stats.

Clips is also extremely handy, also has a widget for the notification center.

Overcast is currently my favorite podcast app.

SpecX

Quick question for a new iPhone 6 user. My job issued us iPhone 6's, but normally I just use my Note 3 for YouTube/Pandora streaming. Yesterday I forgot to charge my phone and decided to use the iPhone to stream some songs from YouTube over Bluetooth to my car's audio and the sound quality was horrible. Are there any settings I'm missing that can address this issue or is it due to this being a Google app being used on their competitors phone?

mrkgoo

Quick question for a new iPhone 6 user. My job issued us iPhone 6's, but normally I just use my Note 3 for YouTube/Pandora streaming. Yesterday I forgot to charge my phone and decided to use the iPhone to stream some songs from YouTube over Bluetooth to my car's audio and the sound quality was horrible. Are there any settings I'm missing that can address this issue or is it due to this being a Google app being used on their competitors phone?

Has nothing to with any rivalry between companies.

The first place is blame is YouTube and network connection but it's entirely possible that there are some hardware setup issues too.

sometimes my car bluetooth will pick up the music as "phone talking" which gives horrible sound but that happens when I start Google Map first.
I play google music or pandora first before opening google maps

Top Bottom