• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Going to be buying the iPhone 6 64GB unlocked and going with a decent sim-only plan on this, probably three's £15 unlimited data, 200 minutes plan. EE is getting wifi calling, but I'm not sure whether to go for that when the data offering is worse. Maybe they'll give me a discount as I'm on Orange at the moment. I can also get 20% off Vodafone through work, so that's an option. Hmm. Will have to do some research.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Going to be buying the iPhone 6 64GB unlocked and going with a decent sim-only plan on this, probably three's £15 unlimited data, 200 minutes plan. EE is getting wifi calling, but I'm not sure whether to go for that when the data offering is worse. Maybe they'll give me a discount as I'm on Orange at the moment. I can also get 20% off Vodafone through work, so that's an option. Hmm. Will have to do some research.

Do we have unlocked UK pricing yet? I guess you can estimate based on 5S though

thats a pretty good 3 deal - shame I get a shitty signal from anyone except vodafone at home.

Voda often have pretty bad plans though - the 'red family sharing' sounded interesting until I saw the price.

I want this so bad. My 4S has been one of my best electronic purchases ever. There still is nothing wrong with it. I've had it through two different BookBook cases.

Is the camera and video capabillities comparable to GoPro 3 now? I wonder how good Iphone 6 plus will work as an action camera if you film at 240 fps. But do you think there wll be any tight water sealed enclousures and straps. Or should you still use GoPro for action shots (biking, river rafting, mountain climbing and all that)?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Do we have unlocked UK pricing yet? I guess you can estimate based on 5S though

thats a pretty good 3 deal - shame I get a shitty signal from anyone except vodafone at home.

Voda often have pretty bad plans though - the 'red family sharing' sounded interesting until I saw the price.

Yeah, the prices got announced just after the event I think, they're on Apple's site anyway.

iPhone 6: 16GB £539, 64GB £619, 128GB £699
iPhone 6+: 16GB £619, 64GB £699, 128GB: £789

Having checked, even with the 20% discount Vodafone's plans aren't that great, the 4G ones come with six months of Spotify/Netflix though which offsets that somewhat, but I think I'd probably still go with either Three or EE. EE has 2 for 1 movies and wifi calling, Three has better data plans, no extra charge for using your phone abroad and free 0800 calls. Everyone has unlimited texts.

Edit: Vodafone is doing a special offer - £16.50 for 1GB of data, unlimited minutes and texts and 4G. No Spotify/Netflix with that though.

Kysen

Stay away from EE, they give shit data plans. I moved away from them last month after receiving a £67 bill for their largest data plan. I only used 3GB of data.

I'm now with 3 on a £24 a month unlimited calls, data and texts. It also comes with 4.5GB of tethering.1 month contract. Will be selling my 5S and buying a 6 with 64GB.

Addnan

Yeah, the prices got announced just after the event I think, they're on Apple's site anyway.

iPhone 6: 16GB £539, 64GB £619, 128GB £699
iPhone 6+: 16GB £619, 64GB £699, 128GB: £789

Having checked, even with the 20% discount Vodafone's plans aren't that great, the 4G ones come with six months of Spotify/Netflix though which offsets that somewhat, but I think I'd probably still go with either Three or EE. EE has 2 for 1 movies and wifi calling, Three has better data plans, no extra charge for using your phone abroad and free 0800 calls. Everyone has unlimited texts.

I went with EEs 4GB sim only. Could have got the Vodafone 4GB with the 20% discount through my sister but difference of only £2 and I get 241 cinema which I do make us of. Three I guess is technically the best deal, but coverage in places I need it are a little sketchy.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Stay away from EE, they give shit data plans. I moved away from them last month after receiving a £67 bill for their largest data plan. I only used 3GB of data.

I'm now with 3 on a £24 a month unlimited calls, data and texts. It also comes with 4.5GB of tethering.1 month contract. Will be selling my 5S and buying a 6 with 64GB.

Out of curiosity why go for the 1 month contract over the 12? Just so you're free to take advantage of better offers whenever you want to?

Going to call Orange (my current provider) and tell them I'm planning on moving to 3, see what they offer, but I'll probably move anyway. I'm on a £6 a month contract at the moment but the data is pretty ropey, will be good to move onto glorious 4G unlimited data.

Yeah, but they say the total cost is lower that way, especially once you pay off your device. If you like to upgrade every year though, JUMP or selling your device isn't a bad choice.

http://www.t-mobile.com/phone-upgrade.html?icid=WMM_TM_WHYTMBL_9QE3IYJRITM202

I'll probably just sell my current phone. If I understand the JUMP program correctly I have to give them my current phone, pay the subsidized price of a new phone and pay them $10 a month right? Doesn't seem worth it to me.

giga

I'll probably just sell my current phone. If I understand the JUMP program correctly I have to give them my current phone, pay the subsidized price of a new phone and pay them $10 a month right? Doesn't seem worth it to me.
Well, if you enroll in Jump now, you wouldn't trade your existing phone now since they're not financing it and you own it outright. So you'd have to sell it or trade it in right now. So going forward, it would work like this:

1. Finance the iPhone 6 from T-Mobile ($27/month for the base model)
2. Enroll in Jump for $10/month
3. In one year, when the next phone is out, trade in the 6 and get your upgraded device.

It's an alternative way to subsidize the phone.

ZeroX03

Banned
I have a gold 5S, but in a case you can't tell the difference between silver and gold anyway, they both have the white face. This time I think I'll go with silver just because the gold is a little too overpowering.

Is the camera and video capabillities comparable to GoPro 3 now? I wonder how good Iphone 6 plus will work as an action camera if you film at 240 fps. But do you think there wll be any tight water sealed enclousures and straps. Or should you still use GoPro for action shots (biking, river rafting, mountain climbing and all that)?

The 5S recorded at 480p@120fps then upscaled to 720p, it's likely this phone will do the same for 240fps and maybe bump up the 120fps resolution to 720p. Don't expect the footage to be particularly high quality. It's fine for personal use assuming you throw it in a good case, probably comparable to a GoPro 3.

iMax

Think I really want the 6+. Played with an LG G3 earlier that's roughly the same size and it felt fine to me. I'm a little concerned about how I'm expected to workout with it though when Apple Watch comes around.

Decided I'm gunna get the 64GB white iPhone 6 if I can. Also picking up one of the silicon cases from Apple - does anyone know if tempered glass screen protectors are already available?

Thinking exactly the same. Definitely not going with Vodafone though. I find them overpriced, customer service was never great and three offer free roaming between european countries (which is very handy since I travel between republic of ireland and northern ireland).

I'm leaning towards a Gold 64GB 6+. Some of the landscape features seem pretty cool. I'm a little worried about the size, but large phones are pretty common now.

rezuth

I have a gold 5S, but in a case you can't tell the difference between silver and gold anyway, they both have the white face. This time I think I'll go with silver just because the gold is a little too overpowering.

The 5S recorded at 480p@120fps then upscaled to 720p, it's likely this phone will do the same for 240fps and maybe bump up the 120fps resolution to 720p. Don't expect the footage to be particularly high quality. It's fine for personal use assuming you throw it in a good case, probably comparable to a GoPro 3.

It actually states and Phil said that the 240FPS video is 720p. Unlike with the 5S it actually lists it too in the spec page. You can look at the video on there too and their "cinematic stabilization" seems insanely good just look at these two videos or at Apple's website if you want good quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-8F7gxsck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdBf8DWFSAc

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm so frustrated with this 6 vs 6+ decision.

Do I want the bigger battery, optical image stabilization, more screen size? Yep.

Do I want a huge thing in my pocket that isn't doing 1:1 pixel mapping and pushing more pixels on the same hardware, almost certainly having an impact on performance? No.

...this decision gets a lot easier if 4.7" is not easy to use one-handed either.

Time to get some cardboard to tape some cutouts to...

I've never preordered from Apple directly. I am on Verizon, off contract, and will not sign a new contract when buying the iPhone 6+. Will Apple's website allow for me to preorder the phone off contract tonight or do I need to go through Verizon direct?

bionic77

I'm so frustrated with this 6 vs 6+ decision.

Do I want the bigger battery, optical image stabilization, more screen size? Yep.

Do I want a huge thing in my pocket that isn't doing 1:1 pixel mapping and pushing more pixels on the same hardware, almost certainly having an impact on performance? No.

...this decision gets a lot easier if 4.7" is not easy to use one-handed either.

Time to get some cardboard to tape some cutouts to...
Just wait until it is in stores and play with both of them.

Normally I order right when they go on sale but this time I am going to wait and play with both. I am 99% sure I am getting the regular 6 with 64 gigs but I want hold both of them in my hand first.

Also nothing wrong with my 5S. Also a chance I just don't upgrade.

The Chef

I've been using Straight Talk for about 6 months now and haaaaate it. Actually looking forward to getting a contract with a carrier again.

Was just looking at some comparisons of AT&T Sprint TMobile and Verizon for NYC. Holy crap Verizon absolutely destroys the other carriers in terms of 4G speeds. In some cases Verizon would get 26.9MB Download speeds while Tmobile would get 2nd place at 8.6MB.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/fastest-4g-nyc

so, as part of the 6 announcement, do we know what the 5S is going to be on contract now? I have a 5 with a really cracked screen and a shitty battery and instead of paying +$100 to get it fixed i've been considering getting a 5S on the cheap.

Number45

so, as part of the 6 announcement, do we know what the 5S is going to be on contract now? I have a 5 with a really cracked screen and a shitty battery and instead of paying +$100 to get it fixed i've been considering getting a 5S on the cheap.
I'm sure the slide said $99 for the 5S.

Anno

Anyone do the AT&T Next thing? Is there any "catch" versus a normal 2y contract? Seems like the easiest way to just go swap out a new phone every 12 months.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

5C 8GB is free on contract
5S is $99/$149 16/32GBon contract
6 is $199/$299/$399 16/64/128GB
6 plus is $299/$399/$499 16/64/128GB

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone/family/iphone/compare

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just wait until it is in stores and play with both of them.

Normally I order right when they go on sale but this time I am going to wait and play with both. I am 99% sure I am getting the regular 6 with 64 gigs but I want hold both of them in my hand first.

Also nothing wrong with my 5S. Also a chance I just don't upgrade.

You're acting like not pre-ordering tomorrow morning is an option. Like showing up to work on Monday without the new phone is even in the realm of possible. That not having one in my hands or pocket while reading everyone's impressions over the weekend is something I could live with...!?

Day 1 or death!

Ovid

So if my mother trades in her 4S she'll only need to spend $100 to get a 16GB 6+ through Verizon?

Does anybody have the details on this $200 Verizon trade-in deal? If you go to their website and do the "appraise device" thing they only offer you $110 for an iPhone 4s 32gb. But what I've been hearing is $200 for for any iphone newer than the 4 as like some sort of special promotion.

The last time I checked the promotion wasn't on their website yet.

From what I read, any working iPhone (4 and up) will receive the $200 credit towards an iPhone 6 (16GB). If you preorder the phone, Verizon will give you a credit once you send them your old phone. I'm assuming you would have to visit a Verizon store after you preorder (with a new 2-year contract) and give them your phone.

bionic77

You're acting like not pre-ordering tomorrow morning is an option. Like showing up to work on Monday without the new phone is even in the realm of possible. That not having one in my hands or pocket while reading everyone's impressions over the weekend is something I could live with...!?

Day 1 or death!
lol

There is that new you smell. But I am willing to give up on that to make sure I get the one I like. Really hope their battery claims end up being true. Did not have great battery on my 5S. Not sure if that is because I get hundreds of emails a day on our exchange account at work or because of something else.

Minsc

Gold Member
6 Plus is going to be rare as fuck to begin with. I'm guessing by 6am EST tomorrow, launch day deliveries will be all gone.

Are there any stats to show how $500 phones after signing a 2-year contract sell against phones that are free or $100 after signing a contract?

I'm guessing the average phone buyer doesn't want to spend $500 every 2 years. I'm still just not expecting sell outs for months across all the various options, but I'm probably wrong lol.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
The vanilla 6 seems a rip-off to me, especially with that 2012 display rez. But the 6+ is even huger than the Note 4 but with (arguably) inferior screen.

decisions decisions.

Any ideas when they'll have display models in store to play around with? This weekend is a good bet, right? Especially with the pre-orders opening.

Makers in the iPhone supply chain are preparing parts and components for production of up to 80 million units of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus before year-end 2014, according to sources at Taiwan-based iPhone supply chain.

Apple aims to ship 80 million units of the iPhone 6-series products before the end of 2014, higher than the 60 million units of the iPhone 5 shipped in 2013, the sources indicated.

Barring the occurrence of component shortages and low yield rates, shipments of the iPhone 6s should be able to reach 10 million units by the end of September and total 60-70 million in the fourth quarter, the sources estimated.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20140910PB203.html

I don't think you'll have a problem getting whatever version of the 6 you want if you don't preorder day 1.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
you can sell it used on amazon/ebay for ~$350 easily, especially if you unlock it. Verizon is ripping you off.

Amazon trade in isn't much, but I debated Ebay.

How do I unlock it? Should I just list it on Ebay for $250? There seem to be a lot up on ebay, and not many selling.

It has a few dings in the casing but otherwise is perfect. I think I still have the box too.

Amazon trade in isn't much, but I debated Ebay.

How do I unlock it? Should I just list it on Ebay for $250? There seem to be a lot up on ebay, and not many selling.

It has a few dings in the casing but otherwise is perfect. I think I still have the box too.

You wouldn't trade it in on amazon, you would sell it as a seller. here are some listings to give you an idea of how much it's going for.

and unlocking it depends on your carrier. You'll need to look that up.

Squalor

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but AT&T is offering a $200 credit for working iPhone 4-iPhone 5 and a $300 credit for iPhone 5S.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You wouldn't trade it in on amazon, you would sell it as a seller. here are some listings to give you an idea of how much it's going for.

and unlocking it depends on your carrier. You'll need to look that up.

Oh ok. I just see a ton listed and not many selling. I am on Verizon. Maybe I'll just order the new phone through Apple and then just list mine. I wonder if Ebay or Amazon is a better place to list.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but AT&T is offering a $200 credit for working iPhone 4-iPhone 5 and a $300 credit for iPhone 5S.

Verizon is doing exactly that. Sounds like you can get more selling it yourself though.

Top Bottom