• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

MercuryLS

Banned
My iPhone 5 has a cracked screen near the earpiece (above the actual screen, it's from the earpiece to the casing). Am I pretty much screwed on any trade-in's? Will anyone take my phone for a decent price?

Squalor

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but AT&T is offering a $200 credit for working iPhone 4-iPhone 5 and a $300 credit for iPhone 5S.
Verizon is doing exactly that. Sounds like you can get more selling it yourself though.
Last I saw, Verizon's deal was slightly different because it was offering $200 for all models, which included the iPhone 5S.

I still have an iPhone 4 lying around in a drawer somewhere, but I would rather avoid the hassle of some online bartering and just give it to AT&T for an easy $200.

Then I'll get the iPhone 6 Plus, and, in the event I don't like the size, I'll just return it within 30 days for an iPhone 6 and get money back.

Cheech

Are there any stats to show how $500 phones after signing a 2-year contract sell against phones that are free or $100 after signing a contract?

I'm guessing the average phone buyer doesn't want to spend $500 every 2 years. I'm still just not expecting sell outs for months across all the various options, but I'm probably wrong lol.

I am going to guess that for the first month, you'll be able to get 128 gig models across the board, but good luck with anything else. It will be interesting if 16 gig models become fairly common due to the huge size difference for $100 more. Pretty clever strat on Apple's part to raise their average selling price.

Personally, I need to make sure a handful of apps work properly, and I can get a sport band from my favorite MFG before diving in (Grantwood Tech's Tunebands). I upgrade every year, but have never bought a new iPhone anywhere close to day 1. Usually early/mid November or so.

Psykoboy2

Going to try for a iPhone 6+ tomorrow. I was curious however - I'm a grandfathered unlimited data subscriber on AT&T. I'm hoping that stays the same going with AT&T Next. Anyone have any idea how that'll work?

Xcellere

Going to try for a iPhone 6+ tomorrow. I was curious however - I'm a grandfathered unlimited data subscriber on AT&T. I'm hoping that stays the same going with AT&T Next. Anyone have any idea how that'll work?

I'm pretty sure AT&T Next doesn't alter the minutes or data limit of your plan. It's just monthly installments. Call AT&T just to confirm.

Husker86

I thought you had to be on a Mobile Share or Everything plan or whatever they call it for Next? The entire premise of Next is you pay for the full price of the phone and get a cheaper plan.

Frodo

So, the phones are not that much thinner, than? According to this: Apple used trick photography to make the new iPhones look thinner

shiller_iphone_thickness_gif1.gif

nikos

Today will be a LONG day, as I'm going to wait up until 3AM. I don't want to go to sleep and wake up to preorder, need to stay up and get hype on forums etc.

Still trying to decide between 6 or 6 Plus. Think I'm leaning towards the 6 though, it's more logical in every way other than having OIS, some landscape functionality (I don't like typing in landscape anyway) and a larger screen.

Natiko

Banned
Not to be a bother, but I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of my best hope for getting one of these without paying unsubsidized prices? I'm on AT&T right now and my contract doesn't end until December. The best I can come up with is switching to T-Mobile as they'll pay my fees, but I'm really nervous about their coverage.

Psykoboy2

I'm pretty sure AT&T Next doesn't alter the minutes or data limit of your plan. It's just monthly installments. Call AT&T just to confirm.

I thought you had to be on a Mobile Share or Everything plan or whatever they call it for Next? The entire premise of Next is you pay for the full price of the phone and get a cheaper plan.

Yeah, see....there's my confusion. Probably going to have to call them today and get this squared away.

nikos

As far as I know, if you go with Next it will change your plan to a Next plan. You'd have to update your contract and keep your current plan to retain unlimited data.

I've been reading conflicting reports on whether unlimited data plans will carry over this time around. Hopefully they do. I no longer have one, unfortunately, but the gf does.

MoeDabs

Well, there is the glass. Yeah it's a bit sneaky, but technically the 5s blue bar should be a bit thicker as well. Doesn't the front glass come out from the frame just a bit?

Yeah its not really deceptive when each model is hard to see the glass. I dont really have a problem with that.

ZeroX03

Banned
It actually states and Phil said that the 240FPS video is 720p. Unlike with the 5S it actually lists it too in the spec page. You can look at the video on there too and their "cinematic stabilization" seems insanely good just look at these two videos or at Apple's website if you want good quality.

The stabilization does look good! They also announced 120fps @ 720fps for the 5S when it first came out, numbers can be deceiving with upscaling. Will need to wait til the 16th (I think) for proper reviews to see the true quality of the 240fps.

Are there any stats to show how $500 phones after signing a 2-year contract sell against phones that are free or $100 after signing a contract?

I'm guessing the average phone buyer doesn't want to spend $500 every 2 years. I'm still just not expecting sell outs for months across all the various options, but I'm probably wrong lol.

Rumors had the 6+ as having production issues, a lot of places thought they wouldn't be shipping at the same time as the 6. If there are sell outs, it'll probably be to do with small supply rather than high demand.

So, the phones are not that much thinner, than? According to this: Apple used trick photography to make the new iPhones look thinner

shiller_iphone_thickness_gif1.gif

Either way they're still stupid fucking thin.

I'm really annoyed by the lack of information regarding Jump preorders, some people say you can do it online, others say you need go go into a tmo store to do the preorder... Sigh

SuperPac

Why are people going with AT&T Next?

AT&T is pushing it REALLY hard - when you *639# to see your upgrade status they tell you about AT&T Next even if you could get the usual upgrade price. Nevermind that most tech blogs and reports have said it's a terrible deal and more expensive over time.

As far as I know, if you go with Next it will change your plan to a Next plan. You'd have to update your contract and keep your current plan to retain unlimited data.

I've been reading conflicting reports on whether unlimited data plans will carry over this time around. Hopefully they do. I no longer have one, unfortunately, but the gf does.

I wish we had a concrete answer on this. I still have mine from the iPhone 3g days and don't really want to lose it.

Husker86

Because if I'm going to pay full price, why not get an interest-free loan?

AT&T is pushing it REALLY hard - when you *639# to see your upgrade status they tell you about AT&T Next even if you could get the usual upgrade price. Nevermind that most tech blogs and reports have said it's a terrible deal and more expensive over time.

It's only more expensive if you trade in your phone every year for a new one. If you pay it off and sell it, it's a different story. Obviously getting a phone every year is going to be expensive.

BFIB

If ATT Next works like T-Mobile (which I'm assuming it does), normally I pay an extra $10 a month towards my EIP. That knocks off another $120, which normally drops the price well within the range to sell off my phone, and get the newest flagship.

Been doing it this way for a while, and it works pretty well. Plus w/ T-Mo, its no contract, so if I decide to sell my phone outright, use that to pay the EIP, then I'm free to go wherever.

Deku Tree

Because you can upgrade every 12 months after only paying for (12/20 * cost of phone) and you give the working phone back. That's a good deal in comparison to selling a phone that you paid up front for plus paid for a higher priced contractor waiting two years...

Husker86

If ATT Next works like T-Mobile (which I'm assuming it does), normally I pay an extra $10 a month towards my EIP. That knocks off another $120, which normally drops the price well within the range to sell of my phone, and get the newest flagship.

Been doing it this way for a while, and it works pretty well. Plus w/ T-Mo, its no contract, so if I decide to sell my phone outright, use that to pay the EIP, then I'm free to go wherever.

There is no free insurance. But the plus side is that it's $0 down.

It's simply just the total cost of the phone divided in 20 even payments. You can pay it off early if you wish, and then your plan price will go back down whenever it's paid off.

BFIB

There is no free insurance. But the plus side is that it's $0 down.

It's simply just the total cost of the phone divided in 20 even payments. You can pay it off early if you wish, and then your plan price will go back down whenever it's paid off.

Ah, gotcha. Not a bad deal then IMO. Compared to paying the subsidized price and being locked in for two years.

DId they say how much those cases are going to run? I typically go naked with my phone though. How much is AppleCare for an iphone?

Think it's $35 for the 6, $45 or $50 for the 6+, would rather get one of those Spigen cases though, they're cheaper, look better, and will probably protect your phone more than one of those regular plain looking Apple cases.

For those of you with a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan (such as myself), I found this from an AT&T employee on the AT&T community forums:

"You should be able to keep the unlimited data plan when you upgrade, same as when you upgraded to your last iPhone. As long as you don't make any changes to your data plan you'll be able to keep it. Hope this helps!"

http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Grandfathering-my-unlimited-data-plan/m-p/4066078

Bueno. Was worried about this, time to retire my 4S.

Smidget

So AT&T announced $200 trade in for 4S.... trying to talk to chat online with no help. I have some cracks on the back on my phone and one on the front of my wife's, but all works perfect... and it just says "working" in the press releases.... now how to preorder online and trade in?! :/

Nakazato

DId they say how much those cases are going to run? I typically go naked with my phone though. How much is AppleCare for an iphone?
Not sure atm. It should still be 99

Just remember it only covers 2 accidental damage (water and cracks) claims and is 79 plus tax per claim.

I would have a back up insurance from tmob Verizon or att just in case your phone is stolen or lost

Bueno. Was worried about this, time to retire my 4S.

No problem. If I remember correctly from my iPhone 5 preorder, when you go through the process of ordering the phone and agreeing to a new 2 year contract that the unlimited data plan option should show up and is by default selected. That was through Apple at least.

I was wondering anyone from Hawaii on Gaf in this thread? Parents are going in October and was going to ask if they could get one for me over there, as in UK they will be crazy expensive.

Is there any sales tax in Hawaii

OmegaFax

AT&T will take my iPhone 4 for $200? Hmm, wonder how it works then. Do I need to buy the new phone through them or can I mail my old one in post-purchase? I still have a grandfathered unlimited plan and don't want to get forced out of it if I go the AT&T Next route to pay it off.

Smidget

AT&T will take my iPhone 4 for $200? Hmm, wonder how it works then. Do I need to buy the new phone through them or can I mail my old one in post-purchase? I still have a grandfathered unlimited plan and don't want to get forced out of it if I go the AT&T Next route to pay it off.

I only find articles referencing it and can't find where AT&T talks about it at all officially. Annoying :/

Psykoboy2

The biggest question:

If I go from a traditional 2 year extention of my expired contract to ATT Next, Can I keep my unlimited data plan?

Just covered that a few posts above. It looks like, yeah, you can keep it and going through the process on Apple.com with buying a 5s through AT&T Next, it still shows I have an unlimited data plan.

noomi

Going for the 6 after going back and forth with the 6+... I just can't justify a phone that size being in my pocket... I wouldn't be able to sit down comfortably... Maybe once I can see a demo, I'll return the 6 and swap it out, but i doubt it.

Purchased the spigen neo hybrid metal case ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MU7VJR4/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ), looked nice and some extra lightining connectors. I. am. ready.

BFIB

When I was on ATT, for my 4 I just did it through Apple. Pre-ordered, you input your phone # during the process, then it will pull up the info. Was really easy. It even prompted to keep the same plan, and unlimited was on there.

For the 4S, I was able to upgrade early, but with that I had to go into ATT to pre-order. Went up that Friday afternoon when pre-orders went live, and pre-ordered. Went back up when the phones came in, and they did the trade in process then.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Anyone have enough experience with downscaling visuals and the impact on visual clarity?

This whole 6+ downscaling potentially making things blurrier or aliased looking is freaking me out. I wasn't 100% on board with the 6+ train as it was, but this potential detail alongside the possible processor hit due to having to push more pixels is scaring me.

I want the 6+ cause I don't want to carry around an iPad and the forever battery will be boss. But I don't want a weird visual experience (that I would probably notice since I'm that guy) and I don't want a gimped version of the phone in terms of performance (my mind immediately jumps to future articles about odd behavior on the 6+ that aren't present on the 6).

BLAH!

First time buying an iPhone for me and my wife. Can I buy multiple iPhones via the online Apple store? We are with Verizon...shared data, etc. Seems like when I walk through the steps it says I can only order one phone at a time (just practicing for tonight).

Squalor

Not really interested.

I don't mind upgrading every two years, though, since none of the S iterations have piqued my interest.

Top Bottom