• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Going for the 6 after going back and forth with the 6+... I just can't justify a phone that size being in my pocket... I wouldn't be able to sit down comfortably... Maybe once I can see a demo, I'll return the 6 and swap it out, but i doubt it.

Purchased the spigen neo hybrid metal case ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MU7VJR4/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ), looked nice and some extra lightining connectors. I. am. ready.

my problem with the 6+ isn't how big it is, it's how big it'll get once you put a case on it. I want it, yeah, because I'm sick and tired of the battery issues with my 5 and a bigger screen sounds appealing to me but man, getting that in my pockets is going to require some clever shifting of things.

Branson

So if I want to order my gf a phone first and I'll get mine later, on the preorder page in the apple store app I just input her number instead of mine? Is it that simple?

Squalor

my problem with the 6+ isn't how big it is, it's how big it'll get once you put a case on it. I want it, yeah, because I'm sick and tired of the battery issues with my 5 and a bigger screen sounds appealing to me but man, getting that in my pockets is going to require some clever shifting of things.
That's why all the cool kids are case-free, haha.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone have enough experience with downscaling visuals and the impact on visual clarity?

This whole 6+ downscaling potentially making things blurrier or aliased looking is freaking me out. I wasn't 100% on board with the 6+ train as it was, but this potential detail alongside the possible processor hit due to having to push more pixels is scaring me.

I want the 6+ cause I don't want to carry around an iPad and the forever battery will be boss. But I don't want a weird visual experience (that I would probably notice since I'm that guy) and I don't want a gimped version of the phone in terms of performance (my mind immediately jumps to future articles about odd behavior on the 6+ that aren't present on the 6).

BLAH!

You mean upscaling? I don't think many non-game apps will be upscaled, and the DPI is so high, it should hardly even be visible. There's no reason for the Plus to downscale anything, that implies that it is being rendered at over 1080p, and generally downscaling things from a higher resolution is an improvement in IQ.

And afaik, both phones run legacy apps entirely full screen, so if the app isn't updated, scaling will occur on both the 6 and 6 Plus.

Squalor

First time buying an iPhone for me and my wife. Can I buy multiple iPhones via the online Apple store? We are with Verizon...shared data, etc. Seems like when I walk through the steps it says I can only order one phone at a time (just practicing for tonight).
You're limited to one at a time.

Get two computers ready. I hope you're ambidextrous.

You mean upscaling? I don't think many non-game apps will be upscaled, and the DPI is so high, it should hardly even be visible. There's no reason for the Plus to downscale anything, that implies that it is being rendered at over 1080p, and generally downscaling things from a higher resolution is an improvement in IQ.

Well, actually, the 6+ is rendering everything internally at a resolution of 2208 × 1242 and downscaling the output for the 1080p display. But, yup, as you said, that should actually result in a smoother image.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, actually, the 6+ is rendering everything internally at a resolution of 2208 × 1242 and downscaling the output for the 1080p display. But, yup, as you said, that should actually result in a smoother image.

Oh thanks... I missed that, but at the DPI where you can't discern pixels, the difference should be extremely small, if not entirely negligible. I'm sorta surprised they do it that way (instead of just having the UI render at the native display resolution), but I'm not worried, though now a little curious as well. I'm sure reviews will mention it though, so keep an eye out when they start to come out.

Mdot

This most likely has been answered, so I apologize ahead of time, but what time do the preorders actually go live? I was on the Store app yesterday getting ready for tomorrow, but any idea the actual time it begins? Thanks homies

Smidget

This most likely has been answered, so I apologize ahead of time, but what time do the preorders actually go live? I was on the Store app yesterday getting ready for tomorrow, but any idea the actual time it begins? Thanks homies

Midnight tonight Pacific time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Midnight pacific time tonight.

So 2AM here in Iowa for me (central time).

For those of you with a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan (such as myself), I found this from an AT&T employee on the AT&T community forums:

"You should be able to keep the unlimited data plan when you upgrade, same as when you upgraded to your last iPhone. As long as you don't make any changes to your data plan you'll be able to keep it. Hope this helps!"

http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Grandfathering-my-unlimited-data-plan/m-p/4066078

Thanks, i started through the upgrade process the other week from a 5 to a 5s and it didn't give me an option to keep my current data plan. Little concerned i won't be able to pre-order without it forcing me into mobile data nonsense.

FML. 3:00 AM alarm set for ET.

Thanks.

I would adjust that alarm to 2:55 AM......

For those of you with a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan (such as myself), I found this from an AT&T employee on the AT&T community forums:

"You should be able to keep the unlimited data plan when you upgrade, same as when you upgraded to your last iPhone. As long as you don't make any changes to your data plan you'll be able to keep it. Hope this helps!"

http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Grandfathering-my-unlimited-data-plan/m-p/4066078

Shame I need to change my plan to a family plan now.

That's why all the cool kids are case-free, haha.

case free was how i was rolling from 3g->4->5 until my 5 took a tumble at angle. i just bought a kit to replace the screen and i kinda don't want to have to do it again, for what would be a bigger and more costly screen to replace : /

I guess the market for real thin and effective 6+ cases is going to be pretty lucrative.

Psykoboy2

Thanks, i started through the upgrade process the other week from a 5 to a 5s and it didn't give me an option to keep my current data plan. Little concerned i won't be able to pre-order without it forcing me into mobile data nonsense.

That's odd, because I just did the same myself (got all the way to "checkout" and then removed the item from the cart) and it showed me as still having an unlimited data plan just before checkout.

Mdot

I would adjust that alarm to 2:55 AM......

Actually set it for 2:50 lol.

I'm grandfathered in to my original plan for AT&T as well, but I have a feeling there are going to be issues when pre-ordering through Apple's site. That guys reassurance sounds good, but I doubt it'll be that easy.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm buying mine unlocked, hopefully that should cut down on the hassle. I was planning on getting two, one for myself and one for my girlfriend, but I guess the way the Apple store is set up we'll have to do them separately.

Any suggestions on whether it's better to use the app than the website or vice versa?

I just went through the process of adding a 5s to my cart on the Apple website using my upgrade and it acknowledged that I would have been keeping unlimited data had I decided to purchase it.

Will and Norm from Tested did a pocket test with some 3D printed mockups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Y8HMCz7p4

Servbot24

Banned
You should check with Sprint for new plans. They just announced an Unlimited Everything plan for $50. I believe my girlfriend is switching to that when she gets her iPhone 6.

I've been looking into this. Is it the same for all models? I can't find any specifications about that, everywhere just states the same $20/mo nmd figure. I find it hard to believe it's all the same. Edit: I found it, $5 increase per model

grkazan12

Still going to order the 6 Plus to test it out because the return option is still there, but this pic has me worried and the cardboard cutout I made slightly sticks out my jean pocket at the very tip.

BxQqY7nCcAApNSs.jpg

Mdot

Not screwing myself with only 16gb this time.

What's the best option for a solo plan?
I'd like at least two gigs a month.

I was planning on the 32GB before they were announced, but with 64GB as the next up option, I'm going with that.

Pretty ridiculous how 16GB is still the base model with no expandable memory, but that's probably been discussed ad nauseam already.

Anno

So according to this calculator for AT&T Next it seems like if you have a normal shared plan then it will almost always be cheaper to go with the Next pricing because you lose a $25 monthly credit currently in place on accounts with contracts before February of this year. Basically you pay 60% of the cost of the phone if you want to trade it in every 12 months towards the new one. At time of purchase you only pay tax. Obviously what you get in "trade in" isn't as much as you can sell it for, but you keep the $25 monthly credit on your account. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Servbot24

Banned
I was planning on the 32GB before they were announced, but with 64GB as the next up option, I'm going with that.

Pretty ridiculous how 16GB is still the base model with no expandable memory, but that's probably been discussed ad nauseam already.

It really sucks but it got you to spend an extra $100 :p

Cuphead

Banned

I'm disappointed, was expecting a bump to 32.

Makes sense considering there will be plenty of 16gb owners that will barely download anything to their device.

I have a 4S but want a 6. How do I do this?

Should I order through Apple or my carrier (AT&T)? How do I switch the SIM card to keep my same number? What should I do with my 4S after I upgrade?

Husker86

I've bought the 4 and the 5 at launch, and don't remember it being midnight exactly, more like 2am. Did something change with the 5S or is my memory incorrect?

Do you live on the West Coast?

It has always been on or around midnight pacific when I order/preorder (2am my time, maybe closer to 2:05am).

The 5s didn't have preorders, but still a midnight launch.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Oh thanks... I missed that, but at the DPI where you can't discern pixels, the difference should be extremely small, if not entirely negligible. I'm sorta surprised they do it that way (instead of just having the UI render at the native display resolution), but I'm not worried, though now a little curious as well. I'm sure reviews will mention it though, so keep an eye out when they start to come out.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at, apologies.

I can't help but think that Schiller intentionally mentioned that they have some kind of "desktop class" scaling going on in the new phones so things look nice no matter, but in my mind the whole point of "Retina" was that I wasn't going to be able to discern visual imperfections in things like text. Text actually seems like the most obvious area of concern if you're downscaling to look potentially funny.

May end up having to take a leap of faith and just hope Apple knows what their doing.

The whole thing smells of compromise to me, though.

Very Not-Jobsian.
That just happened.

Mdot

I'm disappointed, was expecting a bump to 32.

Makes sense considering there will be plenty of 16gb owners that will barely download anything to their device.

The majority of my space is taken up by photos. I need to move them off the phone more often. Zero music since I stream everything from Spotify. Apps of course, but the photos/videos take up most of my storage.

Husker86

Yeah, this is what I was getting at, apologies.

I can't help but think that Schiller intentionally mentioned that they have some kind of "desktop class" scaling going on in the new phones so things look nice no matter, but in my mind the whole point of "Retina" was that I wasn't going to be able to discern visual imperfections in things like text. Text actually seems like the most obvious area of concern if you're downscaling to look potentially funny.

May end up having to take a leap of faith and just hope Apple knows what their doing.

The whole thing smells of compromise to me, though.

Very Not-Jobsian.
That just happened.

Text is the one thing that will always almost certainly be as clear as possible for the screen. Text is rendered by the OS, it isn't sprites at specific resolution.

No, East Coast, which means the stores started being available around 5am here.

I see...hmm. It wasn't that way for me for the 5 and 5s.

I know AT&T had their orders up last year before midnight pacific. I think it was about 20 minutes early or so.

Psykoboy2

I have a 4S but want a 6. How do I do this?

Should I order through Apple or my carrier (AT&T)? How do I switch the SIM card to keep my same number? What should I do with my 4S after I upgrade?

Your choice, really. Apple.com starts at midnight pacific while brick and mortar starts at whatever time they open tomorrow.

SIM card is an easy switch, just get it from your old phone and put it in the new one. I think. I can't remember what size SIM the 4s has but I remember there being a slight difference in one of the models (can't remember which one). It went from a SIM to an mini-SIM or something.

Sell it? Trade it in at GameStop for store credit? Use it as an iPod? Your choice.

So according to this calculator for AT&T Next it seems like if you have a normal shared plan then it will almost always be cheaper to go with the Next pricing because you lose a $25 monthly credit currently in place on accounts with contracts before February of this year. Basically you pay 60% of the cost of the phone if you want to trade it in every 12 months towards the new one. At time of purchase you only pay tax. Obviously what you get in "trade in" isn't as much as you can sell it for, but you keep the $25 monthly credit on your account. Am I reading this incorrectly?

i don't understand. how would the pricing change if i have a unlimited data plan

Your choice, really. Apple.com starts at midnight pacific while brick and mortar starts at whatever time they open tomorrow.

SIM card is an easy switch, just get it from your old phone and put it in the new one. I think. I can't remember what size SIM the 4s has but I remember there being a slight difference in one of the models (can't remember which one). It went from a SIM to an mini-SIM or something.

Sell it? Trade it in at GameStop for store credit? Use it as an iPod? Your choice.

Okay thanks, I'm in no rush to get it at launch. When I got my 4S I ordered it from Apple and programmed the new number in without having to physically switch a SIM card, but with 4S-->6 it sounds like I actually have to go somewhere in person for assistance to switch the SIM data, right?

Top Bottom