• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Cuphead

Banned
The majority of my space is taken up by photos. I need to move them off the phone more often. Zero music since I stream everything from Spotify. Apps of course, but the photos/videos take up most of my storage.
I used to stream a ton of Spotify until verizon took away my unlimited. :(

So I can pre order the plus at apple.com at 2am central tonight?

Husker86

i don't understand. how would the pricing change if i have a unlimited data plan

If you do Next with your unlimited, your plan price is going to go up by the installment payment amount.

It's basically like paying full price for the phone without getting a discount on your plan; you just get to do it over 20 installments.

Silly, in my opinion, but if you regularly use well over 5GB of data, I guess it could be worth it.

I find the shared plans to actually be a decent deal with the discounted off-contract rate, especially with tethering.

Kalipsan

Neo Member
I don't see why people are obsessed with making bigger phones. I mean, I like the design of the iPhone 6 (it looks more rounded like most smartphones these days), but I don't want to have to buy new pants to have it fit in my pocket...

Dany

Banned
WHY

P1010113.jpg

NIGHT-

I don't see why people are obsessed with making bigger phones. I mean, I like the design of the iPhone 6 (it looks more rounded like most smartphones these days), but I don't want to have to buy new pants to have it fit in my pocket...

Then stick with the iphone 6 instead of the plus...

Anyone know how much a perfect condition 5s should get me?

Husker86

That's why there is a choice. Unless you mean the 4.7" won't fit in your pocket, in which case I think you may be mistaken.

Bigger screens (up to a point) are better for smartphones. 4" was too small for the majority of consumers, Apple finally realized this.

Fantomex

I'm gonna have to go into an ATT store because I just don't get it. I'm not sure what the best deal is for me. I have a grandfathered iphone 4, want to get a iphone6 which I am able to upgrade since I am out of contract. However my wife still has 1 year left and is wanting an iphone 6 as well. she has a 5s currently. But she is only able to get the ATT Next plan. Which means she pays for her phone in 24 installments. So she technically isn't getting a "deal" per say. Just financing her phone?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Text is the one thing that will always almost certainly be as clear as possible for the screen. Text is rendered by the OS, it isn't sprites at specific resolution.

That's a fair point, but then things like vector graphics (especially in Maps) come into question in terms of how they'll look.

Should be fine...?! :(

Tekniqs

Hey guys so I was gonna go naked but more and more I'm thinking about getting a thin clear case so the camera lens doesn't protrude more.

any recommendations for a thin clear case? like those tpu/silicone thingy majigs

FinKL

Can you preorder tomorrow and cancel before it ships? Does it charge you right away? I doubt some reviewer will find some huge flaw, but I always like to be on the cautious side.

Squalor

I have a 4S but want a 6. How do I do this?

Should I order through Apple or my carrier (AT&T)? How do I switch the SIM card to keep my same number? What should I do with my 4S after I upgrade?
You can trade in your 4S to AT&T when you purchase your phone. You'll receive a $200 credit.

Of course, you will have to do that in store.

kaskade

I think I'm going with the 6. Looking at the paper cutouts I feel like the 6+ is going to be too big. I typically put a thin case on my phone and I feel like it's just going to make it a little unwieldy. I can't even imagine what those things will look like with those crazy otter box cases. Anyway if I play the the 6+ in store and feel like it's not too bad I can always exchange it. I'll just have to suck up and pay the restocking fee.

Here's to hoping Verizon's site doesn't implode tonight.

RubxQub

Can you preorder tomorrow and cancel before it ships? Does it charge you right away? I doubt some reviewer will find some huge flaw, but I always like to be on the cautious side.

If it's the same as last year, than yes you can.

I ordered an iPhone through Apple's site and another through Verizon's since I didn't get a confirmation from Apple...turned out both went through, cancelled the Apple one...no problem. No charge.

I believe Apple charges once the device ships vs. at point of sale.

You can trade in your 4S to AT&T when you purchase your phone. You'll receive a $200 credit.

Of course, you will have to do that in store.

How do I make sure none of my personal data is left on the 4S? Do they transfer everything in-store at the time of purchase?

Squalor

It's in your best interest to cancel it 48 hours before the phone's release.

If you wait any later, you're going to be out of luck.

Minsc

Gold Member
That's a fair point, but then things like vector graphics (especially in Maps) come into question in terms of how they'll look.

Should be fine...?! :(

Ultimately you can return/exchange within 30 days right? Seems crazy to worry about though, now.

Earliest I would worry is after anandtech's review. Their 23-page review of the iPhone 5 is probably the level of detail to expect for their 6 review, probably even longer now that there are two very distinct models. If there is even the slightest visual blurriness of the Plus to the regular 6 or even 5/5S, I'm sure they'll mention it, and show extremely close-up pics illustrating it for anyone to see. They usually compare the screen in detail to prior phones, and I expect them to say it's an all-around improvement.

Number45

It's ridiculous how no one has revealed tariff prices yet (UK). I guess they're all waiting to see who makes the first move?
Glad this will be my first off contract phone. I'm sticking with my £15/month unlimited data (with tethering) plan until they prise it from my cold dead hands.

YOU HEAR ME THREE? I DON'T CARE ABOUT 0800 NUMBERS!

Mdot

Okay thanks, I'm in no rush to get it at launch. When I got my 4S I ordered it from Apple and programmed the new number in without having to physically switch a SIM card, but with 4S-->6 it sounds like I actually have to go somewhere in person for assistance to switch the SIM data, right?

I'm not positive but I hope the sim cards from the 4S fit with the 6. I'm in the same boat.

Also though with the iCloud, your contacts and stuff should be saved so when you log in with the 6, it should sync.

Anybody can confirm this?

I just went through the process of adding a 5s to my cart on the Apple website using my upgrade and it acknowledged that I would have been keeping unlimited data had I decided to purchase it.

when upgrading to a 5s though Apple.com, I get the following options:

15208619255_502073f212_z.jpg

on the next page I don't have an option for unlimited :(

15185583246_df16ecb657_z.jpg

Squalor

How do I make sure none of my personal data is left on the 4S? Do they transfer everything in-store at the time of purchase?
I don't know.

All of my data is in iCloud. It's the easiest way to do things.

They probably tell you to completely wipe the phone before you trade it in.

If you do Next with your unlimited, your plan price is going to go up by the installment payment amount.

It's basically like paying full price for the phone without getting a discount on your plan; you just get to do it over 20 installments.

Silly, in my opinion, but if you regularly use well over 5GB of data, I guess it could be worth it.

I find the shared plans to actually be a decent deal with the discounted off-contract rate, especially with tethering.

I use 15-20 gb a month.

andycapps

What I'm curious about with the 6+ is how much slower it will be since it's rendering at a higher resolution, but with the same processor. And I'm also curious about upgrading from a 5 to a 6+ how much bigger it's going to be in my pocket.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I'm still going back and forth between the Note 4 vs 6+.

I own a MBP and iPad so it makes sense to go with the 6+ but the Note 4 specs just seem ridiculously good in comparison. I know specs don't matter that much, etc, but I can't help it.

I'm upgrading from a Nexus 4 lol so either phone would be a monstrous upgrade.

Dany

Banned
What I'm curious about with the 6+ is how much slower it will be since it's rendering at a higher resolution, but with the same processor. And I'm also curious about upgrading from a 5 to a 6+ how much bigger it's going to be in my pocket.

I would believe that the 6+ will be similar to the 6. They will increase the speeds internally or whatnot. Its like how ipads have an A8x chips to compensate for the larger screen and etc.

nikos

Have to admit, that doesn't look too good. Could be the lighting though, as the silver looks darker than it should.

I really don't want black/space grey again as I've had black iPhones for the last two years, but I have a feeling it might look a bit better on the iPhone 6.

EDIT: Assuming that's white. Pretty sure the lighting is making it look bad.

RubxQub

Ultimately you can return/exchange within 30 days right? Seems crazy to worry about though, now.

Earliest I would worry is after anandtech's review. Their 23-page review of the iPhone 5 is probably the level of detail to expect for their 6 review, probably even longer now that there are two very distinct models. If there is even the slightest visual blurriness of the Plus to the regular 6 or even 5/5S, I'm sure they'll mention it, and show extremely close-up pics illustrating it for anyone to see. They usually compare the screen in detail to prior phones, and I expect them to say it's an all-around improvement.
Yeah, Anandtech's reviews are stellar.

I just worry about everything when it comes to this stuff. This year's decision making process is much more complicated than it's been in the past.

robotrock

Banned
You have 30 days to decide if you like it.

If you don't, take it back and get the 4.7" and a refund on the price difference.

You know, I totally think I'll do this actually. Will buy 5.5 inch on day one, if I can't get into it, will exchange for 4.7 inch. Fair plan!

Cuphead

Banned
You know, I totally think I'll do this actually. Will buy 5.5 inch on day one, if I can't get into it, will exchange for 4.7 inch. Fair plan!
It's what I'm doing.
I think the bigger size will feel nice after squishing my hands together so much on this 5s.

NIGHT-

Well in your case then, I revoke my "silly" comment :)

I thought it was throttled after 5GB, though. Are they not too aggressive with how much they reduce the speed?

Mine feels throttled most of the time. Seems impossible to watch a YouTube video without wifi. :/

andycapps

I would believe that the 6+ will be similar to the 6. They will increase the speeds internally or whatnot. Its like how ipads have an A8x chips to compensate for the larger screen and etc.

Ah okay, so it'll probably have a higher clock speed. I was wondering if that would be the case. That assuages that worry.

Print out this handy PDF

Make sure fit to page isn't selected otherwise it'll be smaller than it should be.

Dear God the 6+ is a huge phone. I'm really torn because I'd love the new features that are only on the +, and it would be nice to not really have to carry around a Nexus 7 anymore, but yeah.. That's a big phone.

This a concern which might lead me to go back from 6+ to 6

Qqoe5DK.png

and

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...-and-6-plus-apples-first-crack-at-big-phones/

The 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus looks and feels much bigger, and it's harder to hold one-handed. It has a 1080p display, though sleuthing from developer Steve Troughton-Smith has already discovered that these images are actually being rendered at 2208×1242 and downscaled to 1080p. The phone uses a new “3x” graphics mode that calls for assets three times the resolution they would have been on a standard iPhone. Apple used the same method to avoid scaling problems when moving from standard displays to “Retina” displays (2x mode).

We didn’t see any visible blurriness as a result of this scaling, though some UI animations and transitions seemed to be a little choppier than they are on the iPhone 6 or our iPhone 5S
—we’ll need to wait for our full review to see just how the A8 chip handles the resolution change. On-screen buttons and other elements on the 6 Plus are a little larger than they are on the 6.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm still going back and forth between the Note 4 vs 6+.

I own a MBP and iPad so it makes sense to go with the 6+ but the Note 4 specs just seem ridiculously good in comparison. I know specs don't matter that much, etc, but I can't help it.

OS X Yosemite is going to have a lot of integration with iPhones. You're no longer restricted to iMessage, you're able to send txts and make phone calls on your MBP when your phone is range. Not sure if that is important to you, but it is an advantage if you're already in the Apple ecosystem.

And again, the specs aren't going to mean shit. If you're actually worried, wait until the benchmarks comes out, the 6+ will do fine. There's no reason to think you won't get a perfectly smooth experience on the phone (TouchWiz on the other hand).

SonnyBoy

I've been using AT&T since the original iPhone. I'm considering switching over to Verizon but haven't made a final decision yet. Can I pre-order the phone and then choose which carrier I want to utilize?

Top Bottom