• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Addnan

How small pockets do some people have. I just made a cardboard cut out of the 6+ and it fits perfectly into my jeans pocket. For reference these are Levis 510 32x32, so skinny and a pretty standard size.

ZeroX03

Banned
How small pockets do some people have. I just made a cardboard cut out of the 6+ and it fits perfectly into my jeans pocket. For reference these are Levis 510 32x32, so skinny and a pretty standard size.

I've tried a Galaxy Note 3 in my pocket, and while it fits it does stick out - is that a large square in your pants or are you just happy to see me? - and can be a little uncomfortable while sitting down, although I tend to take any phone & wallet out while sitting anyway.

Thus I tend to favor the suit/jacket breast pocket for larger phones.

WHY

P1010113.jpg

is this on all the colors?

Note 3 fits in pocket just fine.

It comes down to how it feels when you sit down while your phone is in your pocket, and thats where the Note series gets a little uncomfortable.

You have to ask yourself how often do you sit down with your phone in your pocket? For me? ... never. Its either on my desk at work, on my nightstand while i sleep, on the coffee table while I watch TV, or on the floor next to me while I play video games.

If you are the type of person who leaves their phone in their pocket a lot while they do things, then the size can be a problem.

I'm upgrading from my old-ass 4 that I finished a 3 year contract on this year. As someone who does normally carry and sit with their phone in their pocket, yeah, I think that 6 will be big enough. 6 plus, while nice for a phablet size, would be borderline redundant since I have an iPad mini that I normally carry in my bag.

Mononoke

Banned

DoomGyver

Any deals switching from att to verizon? The verizon reception is a lot better than the att reception where we live.

Any good cases that attach to your belt for the 6?

Raistlin

At the end of the day, though, you're doing something wrong if you're constantly staring at the back of your phone.

Apple prides itself on their aesthetics and build quality. Moreover, it's a driving factor in their advertising and mindshare. While the build quality (I assume) remains, most people feel the aesthetics have taken a hit.

That may not bother some, but being dismissive of criticism on a tent-pole attributes is pretty weak.

Squalor

Ugh, well going with the iPhone 6 then despite 6+ having stabilization for the camera :/
Did you even read the article?

The Ars Technica report stated the iPhone 6 Plus has a better-looking screen.
Apple prides itself on their aesthetics and build quality. Moreover, it's a driving factor in their advertising and mindshare. While the build quality (I assume) remains, most people feel the aesthetics have taken a hit.

That may not bother some, but being dismissive of criticism on a tent-pole attributes is pretty weak.
Some people think every iPhone looks worse than a previous one. People just need something, anything to complain about. The larger bands will increase the quality of phone reception, LTE speeds, and Wi-Fi speeds, but none of the whiners want to pay attention to that.

Toki767

For idiots, does that mean it will have a much worse screen then iPhone 6? Like noticeably worse? Or it will have the same quality screen, it's just not as good as it should be for the size of the phone? If it's the same quality, then I won't mind. But if it actually looks worse, then yeah fuck this.

The quality of the screen should be about the same (contrast is higher on the 6) but downscaling might cause slight stutters I think. Should have rendered at 1080p really.

printed Iphone 6 Plus out (disabled "fit to page" in printer). Size looks really good for me. But I am 6'5 and the Iphone 4S have always felt small. Hard to browse the web! I think 6 Plus will be a good size for me.

I have a Work related 15 rMBP and a Ipad Air.

Raistlin

Ugh, well going with the iPhone 6 then despite 6+ having stabilization for the camera :/

For idiots, does that mean it will have a much worse screen then iPhone 6? Like noticeably worse? Or it will have the same quality screen, it's just not as good as it should be for the size of the phone? If it's the same quality, then I won't mind. But if it actually looks worse, then yeah fuck this.
iPhone6 isn't at some even multiple of standard application resolutions either. So for legacy apps, they'll be scaled on their as well. Am I missing something?

Raistlin

Some people think every iPhone looks worse than a previous one. People just need something, anything to complain about. The larger bands will increase the quality of phone reception, LTE speeds, and Wi-Fi speeds, but none of the whiners want to pay attention to that.
I'm sure that's true.

But let's get real here. If you polled people that you know aren't trolling just to troll, I find it HIGHLY unlikely such respondents wouldn't say the same thing.

printed Iphone 6 Plus out (disabled "fit to page" in printer). Size looks really good for me. But I am 6'5 and the Iphone 4S have always felt small. Hard to browse the web! I think 6 Plus will be a good size for me.

I have a Work related 15 rMBP and a Ipad Air.

Sloppy cutting; Jony would not approve.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm sure that's true.

But let's get real here.
If you polled people that you know aren't trolling just to troll, I find it HIGHLY unlikely such respondents wouldn't say the same thing.

If you do not have a case on your $200 + phone then you're doing it wrong. Is this a good excuse? maybe not, but no one is going to be looking at the back.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

The level of details will probably degrade a notch below, say 13% lower. Not scientific of course. The number of pixels backing the original resolution is only 87% as much.

...but then

What about the downside? Will we have a lot of blurry artifact? And hey! They just killed pixel perfect 1 to 1 mapping from effective device pixel to physical pixel. RIP 1px line! Well, not quite yet to conclude that. Yes it introduce a compromise. Yes ideally it destroy the sense of pixel perfect. But, remember that this is at 3x scaling factor! Any remaining artifact of antialiased blurry lines will get scaled down quickly beyond recognition of naked eyes. In another way of saying, you pixel perfect monger can rest in peace and just focus on building your perfectly crafted design. Our dear loyal Apple customers will barely know anything. Magic.

Basically, the 3x scaling factor should be better at hiding the lost detail, and essentially be a non-factor in reality.

Doesn't fully remove my concern, but at least helps.

Appreciate the article.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Note 3 fits in pocket just fine.

It comes down to how it feels when you sit down while your phone is in your pocket, and thats where the Note series gets a little uncomfortable.

You have to ask yourself how often do you sit down with your phone in your pocket? For me? ... never. Its either on my desk at work, on my nightstand while i sleep, on the coffee table while I watch TV, or on the floor next to me while I play video games.

If you are the type of person who leaves their phone in their pocket a lot while they do things, then the size can be a problem.

It's a little rude to put it on the table when you're out to dinner. iPhone 6 is as big as I'm willing to go. 5.5" is right on the edge of looking like you're using a tablet to take a call.

Squalor

If you do not have a case on your $200 + phone then you're doing it wrong. Is this a good excuse? maybe not, but no one is going to be looking at the back.
I have never had a case on any of my iPhones, which dates back to the iPhone 3G in 2008.

I have never broken or cracked any of my phones.

I'm doing it right by not covering up the beautiful designs with ugly-ass cases.

Can anyone explain why this is bad?

It relates to how UI elements are rendered on screen. In previous iterations, Apple used a system where they were cleanly doubled (hence 2X mode). This meant that even if a developer didn't update their app for the new resolution, it would still be usable. At odd-numbered scaling (3X mode), instead of an even doubling, pixels aren't going to map 1:1 to the larger screen.

Most users might not notice, but some apps will have wonky bugs because their touch targets or other elements will be slightly off. As long as the 6 Plus doesn't completely bomb or an app you use hasn't been abandoned, apps will be updated in relatively short order (either at launch because developers have two weeks ahead of time to prepare or in a short window afterwards). Excepting abandoned apps, the most notably affected apps will be things like horribly supported banking apps.

Going forward, developers as a whole will plan ahead for supporting the new screen sizes and resolutions.

Edit: And for the end user, this is mostly a non-issue. It's a headache for developers.

I have never had a case on any of my iPhones, which dates back to the iPhone 3G in 2008.

I'm doing it right by not covering up the beautiful designs with ugly-ass cases.

With the exception of the 4 and 4S, I've never found the back an iPhone beautiful.

Mdot

Your iPhone 6 will be broken in 2 weeks. Confirmed jinx. LOL

Hope not though. I do the same thing. Hate covering it with a case.

Wubby

I'll be reserving a 128gb 6+ space gray tomorrow with Softbank (preorders open at 16:00).

Originally was only wanting the 4.7 but lack of OIS, better battery and resolution pulled me to the plus. Also I originally wanted a larger phone so might as well give it a go. I remember playing with a Dell Streak many years ago and wishing I had something that big (even though it had a really crappy screen). The size doesn't bother me... It'll still fit in the pocket of my size 32 skinny jeans just fine.

To be quite honest though... I think I'd rather have a Z3. But it's not available on Softbank and I'm too invested in ios at this point to give it up.

when upgrading to a 5s though Apple.com, I get the following options:

15208619255_502073f212_z.jpg

on the next page I don't have an option for unlimited :(

15185583246_df16ecb657_z.jpg

That page looks different than anything I saw. When I did it, I added the phone to my cart and I didn't have to select any options for my data plan or anything. They were all already in my cart along with my phone.

Still going to order the 6 Plus to test it out because the return option is still there, but this pic has me worried and the cardboard cutout I made slightly sticks out my jean pocket at the very tip.

BxQqY7nCcAApNSs.jpg

That's no so bad, really.

Edit: Anyone remember the original Galaxy Tab ad where a black guy was making phone calls over it? (Yes, holding it up to his face.)

Dartastic

Waaaaait wait wait wait wait. I can't keep my unlimited data plan? What's going on here. HALP. I'm on AT&T.

Edit - Nevermind, I think. I just went through the process of buying an iPhone 5s and it didn't prompt me about changing my data... and when I got to the end it even said that my data was still unlimited. Phew.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lol at the downscaling to 1080p on the 6+, and animation choppiness.. Good god, apple. Yeah, no way I'm even considering that phone anymore.

Top Bottom