• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Fantomex

I'm going with a 6 but don't know what to do with my Ghetto iphone 4. Probably put it on craigslist and maybe get $100 for it. Or just make it a video player for my daughter. Thing is so dang sluggish.

Toki767

AndroidPIT-LG-G3-iPhone-6.jpg

Same size screen, smaller phone, just get an LG G3 and thank me later folks.

Not sure why they didn't place the G3 in line with the 6 and 6+. I was definitely looking for a size comparison though. Pretty sure the G3 is a little taller and wider than the 6 but with a .8" bigger screen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I can't believe they couldn't at least make it without such visible gaps. That looks like a magnet for hand grease and grime, and a nightmare to clean.

THey did such an amazing job fitting the glass panels to the back of the iphone 5, this looks like a massive step back in fit and finish, regardless of aesthetics. Also, first iphone since 3GS with visible plastic parts, sigh :(

Curufinwe

I have never had a case on any of my iPhones, which dates back to the iPhone 3G in 2008.

I have never broken or cracked any of my phones.

I'm doing it right by not covering up the beautiful designs with ugly-ass cases.

I took the case off my 4S for the first time since I got in in Feb 2012 yesterday and it is terribly slippery without it. I'll be getting a iPhone 6 case as soon as I get the phone.

A little off topic.

If I change my brothers line to a Verizon Edge line and get a 6, can I still switch phones with him?

Both our lines are on the same account and he's eligible for the switch to Verizon Edge and he says he's fine with upgrading and giving me the 6 and him re-activating he current phone.

Cuphead

Banned
I'm not seeing an option to transfer an upgrade on Verizon without making a purchase at the same time.

Is there any way to transfer an upgrade or do I have to make this purchase as an upgrade to another phone then activate it on my number?

After cutting out the template, fixing it to cardboard, and shoving it in my pocket. I'm going with the 6+. It is actually smaller than I pictured in my head. If the screen is blurry, or the animations too choppy, I'll return it within the 30 days and get a 6. I did the same when the 5s came out and all of the compass/levels were off.

kingocfs

It would be fine if it didnt have to be in my pants pocket. I wear slim formal pants and it just wouldn't work not to mention it would look kind of ridiculous.

Yeah I'm having serious pocket anxiety with this 6+. I tend to wear slim pants and idk if I deal with a quarter of the phone sticking out.

Fantomex

How is it that one saves money by going with a new 2 year contract instead of going with ATT Next for example? Don't you end up paying the phone completely regardless of what plan? ETF's and what not.

TimFL

So when do pre-orders start in Europe (Germany to be exact)? Midnight or 9am (Which would align with midnight pacific time?).

And how to make sure that I get my iPhone on launch day, I'm no fan of credit cards and I guess the normal bank payment will nullify all chances of receiving the iPhone day 1 (since it says that the order is only processed once the money is received, bank transfers can take quite a while). Is PayPal my best guess? I hope it works tomorrow because it sure as hell likes to give out on me when I depend on it (randomly blocks transactions due to fraud detection etc... it's fully verified and I've been using it for years though).

God this is going to be annoying tomorrow if the pre-orders start 9am here... that's when I have to check in at work (and my boss doesn't like it when I go on a shopping spree there).

I printed the paper mock-up just to see how big the 6+ would look in my hands (I'm buying the smaller model).

It's the size of my hand, a bit longer even ahah.

giga

AndroidPIT-LG-G3-iPhone-6.jpg

Same size screen, smaller phone, just get an LG G3 and thank me later folks.
After reading the anandtech review, I'll pass. The display, ironically, is the worst part of the G3. It's hugely detrimental to battery life, comparatively dim in outdoor settings, over saturates colors, and extreme sharpening adds significant display artifacts.

sangreal

I really wanted the 6+ for the few extra features (OIS, 1080p, battery) but I just can't pull the trigger on that thing. 6 it is

I also decided to cut out the templates and, after doing so, the plus doesn't seem crazy big...uuuuuun-til I hold it up to my ear. Almost looks like I'm talking on my iPad mini!

Also, I really can't imagine carrying that plus around with me everywhere I go. I always have my 4 with me and find that it's pretty much indispensable like my wallet and keys. The 6 plus feels more like an accessory - it's just too big for everyday convenience - at least, for me.

So when do pre-orders start in Europe (Germany to be exact)? Midnight or 9am (Which would align with midnight pacific time?).

Not sure about Europe but if I had to guess it would be 9am your time. I know it sucks that you have to work ,but I'm going to have to stay up till 3am in order to be able to preorder. Luckily I'll be able to play Destiny until then.

Toki767

After reading the anandtech review, I'll pass. The display, ironically, is the worst part of the G3. It's hugely detrimental to battery life, comparatively dim in outdoor settings, over saturates colors, and extreme sharpening adds significant display artifacts.

I would suggest looking at a demo unit at a store because the display doesn't look nearly as bad as that review implies. Battery life is also 5-6 hours of screen on time which is great.

nikos

I am getting the 6+ and if I don't like it I will exchange for a 6 within 30 days.

We don't know what stock is going to be like this year. Last year, it took months before the 5S was readily available. Apple is said to ship 80 million units by the end of the year though, so it might not be as bad.

Still, it would suck to be stuck with a phone you don't want because the one you want isn't available for an exchange.

MCasey

AT&T has a trade-in bonus and will give me $200 for my iPhone 5.
But I guess that means it would be better for me to wait in line at AT&T next Friday.
Because if I preorder online then I wouldn't be able to put the trade-in value towards it.

I hate waiting in line.

So is there a difference in shipping time if I order from the AT&T website as opposed to the Apple one? I'm dealing with Next and I'm unsure how the Apple site will handle it, but if there is a difference in when I'll receive the phone, then I'll just go through Apple.

Toki767

But I guess that means it would be better for me to wait in line at AT&T next Friday.
Because if I preorder online then I wouldn't be able to put the trade-in value towards it.

I hate waiting in line.

Can't you get more than $200 for your iPhone 5 though?

Dosia

I hate waiting in line.

Yep. I waited in line for 6 hours last year and I am never doing that again. I will just take the $175 from Gazelle and pre order at home in 5 mins and be done with it.

TimFL

Not sure about Europe but if I had to guess it would be 9am your time. I know it sucks that you have to work ,but I'm going to have to stay up till 3am in order to be able to preorder. Luckily I'll be able to play Destiny until then.

I set an alarm for shortly after midnight just in case and then I'll check the store again once I get up at 5:50am for work. Going to f5 spam the Apple page at work then and order via iPhone hotspot / MacBook Air (don't want my company logging my banking credentials).

HBP

I hate waiting in line.

You can just trade it in later for a gift card and use it for your bill, that's what I did last year.

Dominator

Does anyone know the return policy on these phones? Didn't get a chance to hold the Note today but I still want the Plus. If I hate it can I return it?

My Calculation

so with my unlimited data and 2 devices and 700 minutes i have an average bill of 145

I pay $399 for the 6+ and $40 for the contract renewal.for $440 + 1740 = $2180 by next september

or

I pay $0 for the 6+ and $0 activation fee but $43 a month for 12 month of NEXT12 for 1740 + 516 =2256

So NEXT will cost me $100 more per year but I get a new Phone NEXT12 year.

If I go with NEXT18

2180 with contract renewal

or

$32 a month for 18 months of NEXT18 for 1740+576 = 2316 and I get a new Phone in 2 years

If you use the contract renewal for THIS purchase and NEXT purchase (2016)

It will be 2180+440 = 2600

so its almost as if, if I want a new phone every year, NEXT 12 is a better option than contract

If I get the NEXT 18 and wait 6 months I still save money by not paying for another contract renewal phone and activation fee in 2 years

What do you guys think

Eiolon

this is my situation right now (note i have unlimited data plan)

9EcgwOR.png

Final decision GAF: Contract renewal or NEXT

I was debating between contract or Next (I have unlimited data).

With contract, my current bill is $50 a month. I will then have to pay a $40 upgrade fee and $399 out of pocket. However, my monthly bill stays the same.

With Next, my bill will become $87 a month until the phone is paid off. However, I do not get to keep the phone and sell it when going to upgrade. I basically pay full price for the phone then give it back to them. My bill itself never lowers back to $50 a month because I would want to get the "next best thing" and lease another phone.

Toki767

I was debating between contract or Next (I have unlimited data).

With contract, my current bill is $50 a month. I will then have to pay a $40 upgrade fee and $399 out of pocket. However, my monthly bill stays the same.

With Next, my bill will become $87 a month until the phone is paid off. However, I do not get to keep the phone and sell it when going to upgrade. I basically pay full price for the phone then give it back to them. My bill itself never lowers back to $50 a month because I would want to get the "next best thing" and lease another phone.

You keep the phone once you completely pay it off with Next. You only trade it in if you want a new phone after 12 or 18 months depending on the plan you choose.

Top Bottom