• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Your plan has been upgraded from 25 GB of total storage at $40.00 a year to 25 GB at just $11.99 a year. You will receive a prorated refund of $1.61, which is based on the price reduction and the remaining months on your subscription. On September 30, 2014 this 25 GB plan will automatically renew and you will be charged $11.99.

Looks like the legacy iCloud plans are all getting tweaked.

McHuj

Does anyone know if with these plans like NEXT/EDGE you can pay off the phone early if I want to in a year or so?

jrock

been debating and Im passing. Got the 3G>4>5(current phone) and this will be my first pass.
Made a cardboard cutout of the 6+. It does not fit well in my pants pocket. I know most of the users here wear dad jeans, but I prefer a slimmer more modern fit. This thing pushes into me too much when I tried sitting. I'm afraid it would bust the inside pocket from pushing so hard on the bottom.

Will check out the regular 6 after its released at an apple store. Good luck to everyone that wants to pre-order tonight!

BearPawB

Banned
Fully set on a 6+ at this point.

Battery life is king for me. Especially that audio playback, which is how i use my phone 99% of the time.

Toki767

Does anyone know if with these plans like NEXT/EDGE you can pay off the phone early if I want to in a year or so?

Yes, you can pay it off early if you want.

Whoa. Sprint updated their shared data plan to 20GB for $100? I hope AT&T does that. Probably not since Verizon won't budge though. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Looks like the legacy iCloud plans are all getting tweaked.

Yeah, these prices on the phone all look new to me.

20 GB 0.99 per month
200 GB 3.99 per month
500 GB 9.99 per month
1 TB 19.99 per month

I've been needing to upgrade.
20 GB is enough for my two devices. Sweet.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Dammit AT&T.

I purchased a 5S on launch, which means my early upgrade is on September 21st.

Two days after the launch :-/

I've called three times now, and they haven't budged. It's on the same billing cycle regardless; what difference does it make? This will be my SIXTH version of the iPhone since the original, and this has never been a problem - they've ALWAYS bumped it up to the 1st of the month to avoid this. Ugh.

I know, I know, I signed the contract. I get it. But if it makes no difference to them, why do they care? It's **** like this that drives me nuts.

Eh, it's just a phone, I suppose. But I would really like to pre-order it tonight.

Was set on the 6+ 64GB.

Honestly, I may just preorder the full priced one tonight. Get it. Play with it. And return it after the 21st when my update is ready.

Lo-Volt

As a Sprint customer, no, I don't know that it's worth it. I have an iPhone 5S and I should be getting LTE service far more than I actually do, and I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I get that the price might look good but the service has been lacking at Sprint for a good long while.

Yes you can pay early. Got an iPad Air with next and am going to just pay the rest next month. You can do this in store or call. (Don't know the number off hand)

kaskade

Yeah, these prices on the phone all look new to me.

20 GB 0.99 per month
200 GB 3.99 per month
500 GB 9.99 per month
1 TB 19.99 per month

I've been needing to upgrade.
20 GB is enough for my two devices. Sweet.

I just upgraded to the 20 gb. It'll be enough for all my photos and stuff and some random files in iCloud Drive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't know why they didn't just use plastic for those antenna gaps that matched the color of the metal better. Or maybe it does but the lighting never lets it not show up. The 6S and 6S+ will probably have better colors with more invisible lines.

-griffy-

Banned
Man, I don't know what to do. On a mobile share plan with AT&T, two iPhone 5's eligible for upgrade, the 10GB plan at $130 ($15 device fee per phone). I'm fairly certain if I upgrade my line to the iPhone 6 with a 2 year contract, the device fee would go up to $40, increasing my bill by $25 per month. If I go with AT&T Next, my base bill would stay the same, but I'd have to pay the Next installment plan of something like $37/mo until it's paid off. So either way my monthly bill increases by getting the new phone. Seems like some bullshit.

Shopping around for plans on different carriers is bullshit. There's so many tiers and fees and prices they don't display. It's all horribly anti-consumer and overly complicated. It's all bullshit!

SuperPac

this is my situation right now (note i have unlimited data plan)

9EcgwOR.png

Final decision GAF: Contract renewal or NEXT

Hmmmmm, if you don't mind me asking where did you find this? I'd like to try and calculate my situation too. :D

LordCanti

I've got big man hands; Bring on that 6+.

Now I just have to decide between Gold and Silver. If only they had a...white on white option :/

BearPawB

Banned
Dammit AT&T.

Early upgrade? I guess they don't bump the date for that up.

My contract was up in like october, but they automatically moved my date up for the release of the iphone

sfedai0

Banned
Man, I don't know what to do. On a mobile share plan with AT&T, two iPhone 5's eligible for upgrade, the 10GB plan at $130 ($15 device fee per phone). I'm fairly certain if I upgrade my line to the iPhone 6 with a 2 year contract, the device fee would go up to $40, increasing my bill by $25 per month. If I go with AT&T Next, my base bill would stay the same, but I'd have to pay the Next installment plan of something like $37/mo until it's paid off. So either way my monthly bill increases by getting the new phone. Seems like some bullshit.

Shopping around for plans on different carriers is bullshit. There's so many tiers and fees and prices they don't display. It's all horribly anti-consumer and overly complicated. It's all bullshit!

Its why you bite the bullet and go unlocked, and get a no contract plan. And fortunately, Apple resale value is extremely good.

nynt9

Dammit AT&T.

I've called three times now, and they haven't budged. It's on the same billing cycle regardless; what difference does it make? This will be my SIXTH version of the iPhone since the original, and this has never been a problem - they've ALWAYS bumped it up to the 1st of the month to avoid this. Ugh.

I know, I know, I signed the contract. I get it. But if it makes no difference to them, why do they care? It's **** like this that drives me nuts.

Eh, it's just a phone, I suppose. But I would really like to pre-order it tonight.

Was set on the 6+ 64GB.

Honestly, I may just preorder the full priced one tonight. Get it. Play with it. And return it after the 21st when my update is ready.

How do you find out when your upgrade elibility starts?

Nori Chan

When I log into ATT it says I am able to upgrade, but on the apple website, it says I have to wait to oct 14 to get the contract prices. Am I going to get screwed tonight? :(

As a Sprint customer, no, I don't know that it's worth it. I have an iPhone 5S and I should be getting LTE service far more than I actually do, and I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I get that the price might look good but the service has been lacking at Sprint for a good long while.

it's weird cause i live in nyc and i've never had problems with sprint. i guess i'm one of the lucky few

Servbot24

Banned
I think I may stick with Sprint. Their coverage isn't great, but I'm currently paying $90 with them, and for no money down I can move to iPhone 6 for $75 per month. Can't really complain about that too much.

Lo-Volt

it's weird cause i live in nyc and i've never had problems with sprint. i guess i'm one of the lucky few

I'm also in New York City. In Midtown I do OK on LTE, but I fall between 3G and LTE in my part of Queens. When I do get LTE, my down speed is actually fine, but it's fussier than I'd like it to be.

...But hey, if the price is right...

It really varies based on your lifestyle. Type of apartment building, how and where you commute, it can be so different for people.

that's true it varies from person to person its a crapshoot pretty much lol

I'm also in New York City. In Midtown I do OK on LTE, but I fall between 3G and LTE in my part of Queens. When I do get LTE, my down speed is actually fine, but it's fussier than I'd like it to be.

...But hey, if the price is right...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19251-1342793809-6.gif

Squalor

With AT&T, I have grandfathered unlimited data and messaging and pay $70 a month, so there's no way I'm changing my plan.

muteki

I see...hmm. It wasn't that way for me for the 5 and 5s.

I know AT&T had their orders up last year before midnight pacific. I think it was about 20 minutes early or so.
I see now that the ATT site at least is quoting 12:01 PST, so that settles it. I've pretty much decided on a 6+ black, and for the first time I'll be moving to a shared plan, something I never thought I would do. Good look with preorders everyone.

SeanR1221

Awwwwww yiss.

My brothers company has a bunch on reserve and he can get me one.

Enjoy waking up in the middle of the night, suckers! Woooo!!

So all you no contract warriors on att, how do we preorder for a full price phone tonight?

The App Store options are limited to Next or 2 year contract options.

I think I may stick with Sprint. Their coverage isn't great, but I'm currently paying $90 with them, and for no money down I can move to iPhone 6 for $75 per month. Can't really complain about that too much.

that's what i'm paying too, but my mother and sister i guess got tired of the crappy service from virgin mobile so now they want with my line to make a family plan. Luckily sprint will buy out their contract and stuff. i've been due for upgrade for months im just paying month to month as we speak contract been up awhile lol

Sprint's 20 GB shared plan is very very enticing. Gonna make an appointment to see what they mean by "down payment" on phones.

a question for the uninitiated and slightly ignorant lol so lets say you go over the 20 gb that's provided for the month, do they stop or it keeps running and you got several overcharges?

Interfectum

Anyone who is getting an iPhone 6 Plus and is a runner / walker who takes their phone with them.... how are you planning to deal with that? Big arm strap?

andycapps

I still don't know if I can do the 6+ even though I'd rather have it spec wise. Someone posted a picture on Twitter of the 6+ cutout next to the Vita, and it was almost the same size (slightly shorter). Can't imagine putting that in my pocket, though obviously how thin the iPhone is would help.

muteki

Oh, that works lol. I have no experience of att and their online store. Will I be able to get it day 1, the 19th and when do they charge?
I've preordered with ATT before through their website and got the phone delivered on launch day.

Honestly though at 12am it won't be a matter of what site can you get launch delivery with, it will be what site you are able to get an order in, as most will be hammered to the point of not being usable. To get my 5 I had to go through the apple store app on my phone.

Toki767

a question for the uninitiated and slightly ignorant lol so lets say you go over the 20 gb that's provided for the month, do they stop or it keeps running and you got several overcharges?

If it's like other data plans, they typically charge you like $10 per 1GB you go over.

ijm72

Yes your bill would go up but you are also getting a new phone which you would have to pay for either way. I am in the same plan as you except I get a corporate discount so I think I am going to end up doing the ATT&T next plan and make the monthly payment. If I go with the 2 year contract I will end up paying $25 more a month for 2 years ($600) plus the up front cost ( $300 or $400 depending on which version I chose) plus the $40 "activation" fee which means I will end up paying $940 or $1040. If I go with the Next plan then I will just pay the cost of the phone ($750 or $850) over 20 months. Now I just need to decide between the 6 or the 6 Plus.

Oh, that works lol. I have no experience of att and their online store. Will I be able to get it day 1, the 19th and when do they charge?

Yeah you should get it on the 19th if you preorder the first batch. When I got the 5 I got it delivered to my house the day the phone came out. If I remember correctly they charge you when the phone ships.

-griffy-

Banned
Yes your bill would go up but you are also getting a new phone which you would have to pay for either way. I am in the same plan as you except I get a corporate discount so I think I am going to end up doing the ATT&T next plan and make the monthly payment. If I go with the 2 year contract I will end up paying $25 more a month for 2 years ($600) plus the up front cost ( $300 or $400 depending on which version I chose) plus the $40 "activation" fee which means I will end up paying $940 or $1040. If I go with the Next plan then I will just pay the cost of the phone ($750 or $850) over 20 months. Now I just need to decide between the 6 or the 6 Plus.
Hmm, yeah I might do that and trade my 5 in to AT&T to help out with costs. It was unclear to me if I had to pay anything up front with the Next thing. It's a nightmare trying to navigate the AT&T site and find proper pricing for things. Oddly enough I could find more concrete info on Apple's website instead of AT&T's own. I think I'm gonna stop in to the AT&T store after work to talk it over with them.

Top Bottom