• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

kaskade

It does seem like a lot of people are going 6+. Might be better for me since there will be more 6 stock then. I do wonder what the hardest models to find will be.

11 hours left until preorder time.

Stig94

Neo Member
UK Buyers

Preorders open on the Apple site at 8am tomorrow, Friday 12th September. Preorders placed with Apple tomorrow should get you launch day delivery.

I'll personally be at work but will try my best to preorder using the iOS Apple Store app.

Slate Grey 6, 128GB, £699.

Thanks man, some were saying 7am, I'll wake up at 6:30 in any case lol

Squalor

It's changed since the 4S launched? I did it through Apple then when the plan was already long and gone but I was still able to keep it.

I'll just try both: Apple store App on my phone, AT&T site on my iPad

Is there an AT&T app you can order it from or website only?
See this:
I spoke to ATT regarding the unlimited data plan; you have to log in to your att account and upgrade through there.. rather than upgrading from the front of ATT.com or apple.com

It won't be. You will have to pre-order through AT&T's website.

Sign into your account, then go to the dedicated pre-order page, and do it from there.

Oh, okay. That doesn't apply to me, then. That's good.

I plan to be able to know whether I want it in 20 days.

I went through the process of adding a 5s to my cart and it automatically added my AT&T unlimited plan along with it so it should do the same with the 6.

Edit: I should clarify that I meant it automatically recognized my unlimited plan on the Apple website

Minsc

Gold Member
For anyone concerned/curious about screen PPI in the new iPhones, this is the most clear graphic i could find:
http://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified

This is a nice find thanks. With all the posts about the resizing taking place on the Plus, I was starting to question it myself. Even with the slight detail loss from re-sizing down to 1080p, the detail is still much clearer than the native 1:1 display on the regular 6 (in theory, as illustrated by that link).

Now all that remains is the degree / frequency of choppiness (if it's even there). I didn't notice any UI choppiness in the videos I've seen of people using the Plus, but good ol' Anandtech to the rescue in another week or so. I feel a little better about not pre-ordering, if there's is some sort of horrible choppiness to the UI on the Plus (which honestly, sounds extremely un-iPhone like), it's going to be picked up on in the reviews for sure.

nikos

Quick question some of you might know the answer to.

I've got three lines on my AT&T family plan. My iPhone and two dumb/basic phones that family members use. I use their upgrades every year to upgrade my iPhone.

Has anything changed with AT&T or will I still be able to use one of their upgrades, then remove the data plan from it immediately?

EDIT: Seems like it's still possible.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out with this.

If I change my brothers line to a Verizon Edge line and get an iPhone 6, can I still switch phones with him?

Both our lines are on the same account and he's eligible for the switch to Verizon Edge and he says he's fine with upgrading and giving me the 6 and him re-activating he current phone.

The only reason why I'm not sure it'd be okay is because with the Edge program, they let you trade in your phone early if you want to.

NotBacon

Dammit AT&T.

I purchased a 5S on launch, which means my early upgrade is on September 21st.

Two days after the launch :-/

I've called three times now, and they haven't budged. It's on the same billing cycle regardless; what difference does it make? This will be my SIXTH version of the iPhone since the original, and this has never been a problem - they've ALWAYS bumped it up to the 1st of the month to avoid this. Ugh.

I know, I know, I signed the contract. I get it. But if it makes no difference to them, why do they care? It's **** like this that drives me nuts.

Eh, it's just a phone, I suppose. But I would really like to pre-order it tonight.

Was set on the 6+ 64GB.

Honestly, I may just preorder the full priced one tonight. Get it. Play with it. And return it after the 21st when my update is ready.

Dude....

Lum1n3s

Are there any pictures out there with someone holding Plus to their ear?
Go to a store and put a Note next to your face, problem solved. Or just look it up online, I think the Note 3 has similar dimensions to it if I'm not mistaken.

Also, for pre-orders can you do it through the Next program for AT&T? Or do you have to buy the phone? I've never pre-ordered a phone before.

Mononoke

Banned
Does anyone have any idea when I should start F5 spamming Fido's website reservation system? Late tonight? Early tomorrow?

(same answer for Rogers, I'd bet).

Should be 12 midnight PST 2 AM Central and 3am East Coast.

I guess one should start checking around 10pm/11pm PST just to make sure it doesn't go up early. Apple isn't the only site doing pre-order, some carrier sites are also going to be opening up pre-orders at midnight.

Also, a tip that other's on here gave, was that accessing iTunes store using the app on your iPhone or iPad is usually more reliable/quick (so if the site crashes), try using that instead.

I'm currently with AT&T on an iPhone 5. How can I go about pre-ordering the 6 while changing carriers? I see a lot of ads suggesting the competition is offering better deals than AT&T.

Can I just pre-order the new phone and then go to a store to change over my carrier there? Also, does anyone know who has the best deal going for two lines right now?

Really hard to decide between 6 and 6+. I want to take advantage of the new sprint plan but man I just cannot decide which phone I want. Coming from a galaxy s3, so the 6 would be what I am used to. But a bigger battery, nicer screen and OIS on the 6+ is super tempting. Decisions decisions....

Mononoke

Banned
I'm currently with AT&T on an iPhone 5. How can I go about pre-ordering the 6 while changing carriers? I see a lot of ads suggesting the competition is offering better deals than AT&T.

Can I just pre-order the new phone and then go to a store to change over my carrier there? Also, does anyone know who has the best deal going for two lines right now?

You can start a new contract with a new carrier while checking out at the pre-order. I don't think you can buy a phone and switch a carrier later -- unless you buy it unlocked. But that is off contract and super expensive.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I made my own mockup...

BxR5SqRCMAANCNn.jpg
I'm going to carry it with me tomorrow at work and see how my workflow would have to change. Two-handed use will be a must I can say that right now. The Home button is super out of the way if you don't.

Vyer

Anyone know how we'd go about getting off contract for AT&T? I only see a Verizon off contract available on the Apple site.

Squalor

I made my own mockup...

I'm going to carry it with me tomorrow at work and see how my workflow would have to change. Two-handed use will be a must I can say that right now. The Home button is super out of the way if you don't.
Don't forget to draw an actual homescreen on it.

nikos

Anyone going to choose in-store pickup rather than having it shipped to them? Think I'm going to do this, as I won't have to wait for the UPS/FedEx guy and hope nothing goes wrong in the process. More peace of mind picking it up. Plus, being at the Apple store when they open those doors on launch day is fun!

I'd also be able to make it to work,
though I probably won't.

Popnbake

It does seem like a lot of people are going 6+. Might be better for me since there will be more 6 stock then. I do wonder what the hardest models to find will be.

11 hours left until preorder time.

Should be 6+ gold followed by the other colors and then 6 gold.

Raistlin

Really hard to decide between 6 and 6+. I want to take advantage of the new sprint plan but man I just cannot decide which phone I want. Coming from a galaxy s3, so the 6 would be what I am used to. But a bigger battery, nicer screen and OIS on the 6+ is super tempting. Decisions decisions....

For people that want to get it at launch, the decision regarding OIS is especially troubling.

Until there is field testing with it, we can only speculate on the performance versus the digital version. Really can't know ahead of time if the 6 is 'good enough'.

Print out this handy PDF

Make sure fit to page isn't selected otherwise it'll be smaller than it should be.

Thanks for this. 6+ definitely doesn't work for my needs. Seems like if your clothes fit at all, this thing has to live in a coat pocket or bag. Further, it doesn't seem very realistic for exercising with. Given the design and dependency of the Apple Watch on the iPhone, it seems to me that a reasonably portable and pocketable device is necessary. That is to say, 6+ seems a bit too large to go jogging or to the gym with unless i'm going to take and wear a small bag of some kind.

Eeeeeeh. I think that makes it too large for my usages. I'll give it some sleep, but definitely leaning hard towards the i6.

Raistlin

Was reading that earlier and immediately thought "we know what one of the new features of the 6S will be..."

Yup. Add that along with RAM, and they can pretty much call it a day.

Though I'm really hoping they come up with some type of co-processor like the Moto X has so Siri can be used hands-free without the battery hit. If those 3 things are addressed, will be a damn near perfect phone feature-wise.

chris121580

It's incredibly frustrating that my contract is up on 10/5/14 and they still want to charge me full price for the phone if I try to pre-order before then. Guess I'll be waiting til then

Top Bottom