• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I was pretty much set on pre-ordering a iPhone 6 in store at T-Mobile today but I keep second guessing myself. Maybe I'll just wait until the phones come out and try them first.

Jordan

Just spoken to an internal supplier at Apple.

All models of the 6+ have sold out and the wait time has gone from 3-4 weeks, to 3-5 months.

This is in the UK, not sure about US.

Good luck to those of you wanting to stand in line.

XCOM is a native iPhone/iPad app anyway. Hopefully 2K will release an update to take advantage of the resolution change.

Totally forgot that it was on iPhone as well. On a 4S it would be basically unplayable with the screen size. That's cool though to know. I really hope it prompts a lot of the big apps.. maybe FTL? To come to 6+

LCfiner

All models of the 6+ have sold out and the wait time has gone from 3-4 weeks, to 3-5 months.

holy shit, if true. either stock is crazy limited or people have truly gone nuts over phablets - more than I had thought.

Koyuga

Well then I'm definitely getting in line early. Yikes, hope I can get my hands on a plus.

Jordan

When three.co.uk have their buy now pages up for the new iPhones on contract, will they have stock to supply them then?

I assume so, I would assume they have set limited stock available to each carrier - otherwise that's going to be a clusterfuck and a half.

DOWN

Banned
Can a mod add polls since I'm super curious?

What model?

6 Plus

What color?

Gold
Silver
Space Grey

What storage size?

16GB
My heart goes out to these people.
64GB
128GB

Nintendad

I ordered 64GB iPhone 6..well two of them. I got one for me and one for my wife. Still haven't gotten an email confirmation. It's been about an hour. How long does it usually take from apple and they're both the same in terms of specs right? Just 6+ has a better battery?

ZeroAKA

AT&T isn't letting me transfer upgrade eligibility, which means I'll probably have to wait for my contract to end in November before buying the iPhone 6. Either that, or switch over to their AT&T Next plan. :/

Am I crazy or is AT&T next a terrible deal if you don't want to upgrade your phone every year? Doing the math they're making us pay full retail for this phone.

3-5 months? That sounds like a shaky source to me.

NekoFever

Can't wait to see what these start going for on eBay if that's true.

Jordan

Am I crazy or is AT&T next a terrible deal if you don't want to upgrade your phone every year? Doing the math they're making us pay full retail for this phone.

Was someone who supplies iPhones for the company I work at - direct from apple.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Dammit! My phone bill was due yesterday, which I paid. However it hasn't been debited from my account yet so AT&T won't let me upgrade on contract due to past due balance...

DOWN

Banned

You always pay full retail over time. The only people who aren't right now are people on 2 year contracts that got it subsidized and are grandfathered into Mobile Share plans. When they renew, they'll lose their discount, or they can get Next and their discount stays but they'll pay for the phone. For a lot of people, Next is cheaper if they hadn't been grandfathered in for a Mobile Share plan yet because that plan is way cheaper than the old ones so it can save overall.

The pricing doesn't really make a massive difference. All the options end up within about $80-300 of each other out of a total of around $2200-2400 over 20-24 months. You aren't in huge trouble if you choose their current structure for Next vs. current structure for 2 year. But you will definitely pay the most if you want to upgrade yearly. And you do pay a little more for your phone by agreeing to no contract.

Whatever their position, the idea that Apple couldn't produce enough units for 3-5 months is laughable.

They don't produce them. White iPhone took a long time to hit market. Many months despite intentions to have it launch alongside black.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Why do you guys stay up so late, and go through the hassle of the store getting hammered, just to order a phone? We got three regular phones and one Plus after waking up this morning. The Plus won't come until October, but the regular models will arrive in the next week. Maybe if I'd been furiously reloading at 3 AM I might have gotten the Plus next week too, but I can wait. It's a phone.

Why do you guys stay up so late, and go through the hassle of the store getting hammered, just to order a phone? We got three regular phones and one Plus after waking up this morning. The Plus won't come until October, but the regular models will arrive in the next week. Maybe if I'd been furiously reloading at 3 AM I might have gotten the Plus next week too, but I can wait. It's a phone.

Perhaps for some people it's a bigger deal than you. Since you seem to be splashing out on 4 new iphones, I presume money isn't your biggest concern. For a lot of others it could be their first upgrade in a while, or first iphone etc. I can see why you'd want to get your hands on it asap.

jetsetrez

Would an ATT iPhone 6 work on Tmobile with LTE/wifi calling/texting? Thinking about getting one on ATT with Next, then just paying it off in a few months and switching to Tmobile.

giga

Would an ATT iPhone 6 work on Tmobile with LTE/wifi calling/texting? Thinking about getting one on ATT with Next, then just paying it off in a few months and switching to Tmobile.
It's not unlocked. Your best bet is to order the T-Mobile (unlocked) one from Apple. Apple even offers 24 month interest-free financing.

Lace

It's not unlocked. Your best bet is to order the T-Mobile (unlocked) one from Apple. Apple even offers 24 month interest-free financing.
Do the T-Mobile iPhones work on Verizon. I finally got through to phone support and that's what they told me but I'm not really feeling what they sold me.
I don't see how a GSM band would work on Verizon.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Whoo hoo, finally got AT&T to process my order! Now I wait, hopefully it arrives by the 19th, not gonna hold my breath though... Just ordered one of those sweet spigen cases from amazon and should have it before I actually get my phone.

Lyte Edge

Perhaps for some people it's a bigger deal than you. Since you seem to be splashing out on 4 new iphones, I presume money isn't your biggest concern. For a lot of others it could be their first upgrade in a while, or first iphone etc. I can see why you'd want to get your hands on it asap.

Sure money is a concern, but we're getting $200-$270 for each of the four iPhone 5s we're selling off. iPhones have good resell value.

I'm just pointing out that I ordered with no problem this morning and am getting everything in the launch window. I've been part of the hype before-- I stood in line all day to get an iPhone 4. The rest of my family ordered them online and got theirs a week later. It wasn't worth the time wasted to be "first".

noomi

AT&T just charged my account, and got the 2nd confirmation e-mail stating I will be getting in on the 19th. Expected ship date is 17th-18th .

Mmmmm soo good! Going to have to backup my phone prior. Can't wait. Hype!

Hope I won't regret not going with the 6+ though. Still need to see a demo, if anything I can return it later.

.hacked

Got my orders in around 5am last night.

1 6 plus 128gb space gray (in store pick up)
1 6 plus 128 silver (deliver 10-1-14)
1 6 128gb gold (in store pick up)

Sure money is a concern, but we're getting $200-$270 for each of the four iPhone 5s we're selling off. iPhones have good resell value.

I'm just pointing out that I ordered with no problem this morning and am getting everything in the launch window. I've been part of the hype before-- I stood in line all day to get an iPhone 4. The rest of my family ordered them online and got theirs a week later. It wasn't worth the time wasted to be "first".

Also the fact that the leap between 5S and 6 is quite minimal and that you probably do this every apple launch? I mean... that isn't how everyone operates.

Hasney

Whatever their position, the idea that Apple couldn't produce enough units for 3-5 months is laughable.

Yeah. Either they didn't realise how popular that model would be and ramped up the regular 6's, or there's a real production line issue.

Looked at the prices on EE... PAHAHAHA.

SeanR1221

We signed up for next, heres how it works out...

Right now I was paying 50.00 a month for my portion of unlimited talk, text and shared 10GB of data.

So that's 1,200.00 for two years of phone service, plus buying a subsidized phone (lets say 300.00) brings the total to 1,500 every two years.

On AT&T next, my monthly portion is now 27.50, so 660.00 for two years. Then, my 300 phone is 37/month. Now, I did the 12 month plan. If I waited 24 months, I'd be paying more, but then I wouldn't have done the 12 month plan! I would have done the 18, or 24. If I had done the 18 or 24 month, my monthly phone payments would have been lower.

So AT&T next becomes a ripoff if you sign up for say a 12 month plan and DON'T upgrade at the 12 months.

Varion

Anyone else's cards not authorized? I know we have the funds but Apple says the card was declined.
Yep, same here. "We are unable to obtain an authorisation for your order" when I've definitely got enough money in my account. I'm pretty sure I put all the card details in right, although the site is such a nightmare to use right now I don't want to poke around with it anymore and risk messing something up. Going out to the bank in a bit to see if it's anything on their end, if there's nothing they can do I'll just have to wrestle with the site a bit more and try reentering the card details.

DOWN

Banned
Wait, really? You can pay it off early? Is it just the $650 retail price?
Yes, full retail no interest. So mine is $749 for the 64GB 6. As mentioned, it is locked to AT&T. If you need unlocked, go T Mobile via their own site and they have their own alternative to Next.

So has the 6+ ram been confirmed? Does it have 2GB or 1?
Does it matter? Android people boast specs all the time and have of them still stutter in places where iPhones don't. Software tailored to the hardware is a beautifully efficient thing that Android users seem to forget when they snap back with "Snapdragon!"

TheZink

Anyone else's cards not authorized? I know we have the funds but Apple says the card was declined.
Mine did the same thing but luckily I noticed it yesterday morning before they went on sale. I tried everything to get to work and even called my bank but I ended up having to use my wife's card instead of mine.

Cavalier

Banned
Yes, full retail no interest. So mine is $749 for the 64GB 6. As mentioned, it is locked to AT&T. If you need unlocked, go T Mobile via their own site and they have their own alternative to Next.

Does it matter? Android people boast specs all the time and have of them still stutter in places where iPhones don't. Software tailored to the hardware is a beautifully efficient thing that Android users seem to forget when they snap back with "Snapdragon!"

Matters to me yes. So 6+ does have 1GB? If it does have 1GB, I'm waiting for the 6S models.

No. You'll have to wait until sites have it in their hands.

It's frustrating how Apple doesn't disclose full spec.

SonnyBoy

I'm still unsure if I want to stay with ATT or go to Verizon... I still have my unlimited plan from the original iPhone. I think I should just stay... What do you guys think?

Lyte Edge

Also the fact that the leap between 5S and 6 is quite minimal and that you probably do this every apple launch? I mean... that isn't how everyone operates.

Me? No...I'm on a a two year plan. Last time I got an iPhone 5.

You're so right. After all that bullshit I wake up and all iPhone 6 models are still available for delivery by the 19th. Never again.

Yeah, that's pretty much all I'm saying. No need to lose sleep over it.

You just answered your own question. Everyone knew the Plus would be extremely supply restricted, so half an hour of lost sleep is a fair trade to get the phone weeks (if not months) before one would by otherwise waiting until this morning.

AT&T just charged my account, and got the 2nd confirmation e-mail stating I will be getting in on the 19th. Expected ship date is 17th-18th .

Second confirmation being an additional after the initial confirmation email? Fingers crossed. I got my Plus order in before 3AM, and even got my wife's vanilla 6 order in early too, but I've only received the initial confirmation emails. One of which only arrived an hour ago.

At least now both orders who up on the order tracking page, including my grandfathered Unlimited plan being intact.

Lyte Edge

You just answered your own question. Everyone knew the Plus would be extremely supply restricted, so half an hour of lost sleep is a fair trade to get the phone weeks (if not months) before one would by otherwise waiting until this morning.

Everyone ordered the Plus?

This is too silly of a conversation for me, even for this forum.

Top Bottom