• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Daria

Finaaaaally have they bumped the storage up. I would've been ok with a 32GB entry model but I'll take a 64GB 6 next month though.

I rationalize it like this, if I was buying a samsung I would buy the S5, not the Note. So why should the iPhone be any different? I guess part of it is the naming, the regular 6 just sounds inferior.

Yeah, and generally I'd lean towards the same thing. Then I keep thinking I could be a one device guy and eliminate the iPad Mini from my rotation with a 6+. I'm not sure that would be any good for comics though.

In the end I'm probably better waiting a year and going with a 6S and keeping the rotation of my devices on two years.

I just need to get myself around the giant sphere of hype that is out there right now.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Me and three other pals ordered the iPhone today. Out of the four of us, three went with the 6 and one went with the 6 Plus.

Was that because of the size or because of the availability? Just curious. I am having second thoughts on the Plus because of its size, but want the better battery.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah, and generally I'd lean towards the same thing. Then I keep thinking I could be a one device guy and eliminate the iPad Mini from my rotation with a 6+. I'm not sure that would be any good for comics though.

Comics (and reading in general) are a big reason why I went with the Plus. Hoping that everything will look great when held vertically, but if not I have no problem reading comics on my 5 screen, horizontally. Scrolling pages doesn't bother me and I wind up pretty much just reading stuff on the phone instead of on my tablet.

Mafro

So what case is everyone gonna get?

Waiting for tech 21 to make theirs. That was my favorite 5 case.
Preordered an official black silicone case but might change that to a black leather one. If there's an iPhone 6 Power Support Air Jacket then I'm definitely gonna get one of those, I've got a black one for my iPhone 5 and it's great.

In the end I'm probably better waiting a year and going with a 6S and keeping the rotation of my devices on two years.

I just need to get myself around the giant sphere of hype that is out there right now.

One device would be nice but the wife is getting an iPad next time they are refreshed, so in the end a 6+ would just be redundant.

That's it, ordering a 6. If I change my mind I can return it.

Anyone interested or curious in cheap iPhone 6 cases (regular 4.7" inch screen only) check out Monoprice.

I ordered a bumper-styled version and a thin shatter-proof case to try out...at about $6-7 each I figured they're cheap enough to see if it's worth a try (or not).

Edit: anyone able to check their order status on apple.com? I was able to order a gold 128GB regular 6 at 1AM PST, got a confirmation e-mail for 9/19 delivery, but now can't check my order on the the Apple website. I'm wondering if my order is still valid...

Hasney

lol. Went on Three's site and it put me in a queue because they were busy (which is a lot better than crashes at the other providers), so I assumed the 6's were up. Still nothing.

Guessing it should be soon though if they've just implemented that. 2pm maybe?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone manage to order from T-Mobile? Keep getting an error message at checkout.

Vyer

When you 'pay off a phone early' with AT&T Next is it an inflated final price or just the actual cost of the phone?

Ninja Dom

Anyone else's cards not authorized? I know we have the funds but Apple says the card was declined.

Had exactly that.

I called the card company and they said the transaction was refused because they thought it could be fraudulent. They asked me to confirm that it was me that actually ordered the iPhone. They said cool, wait 5 minutes and try again. After that it was fine.

nynt9

Man what a clusterfuck this was. Tried to order a silver 6+, ATTs website changed it to a 6 at the last moment but I was too tired to notice. Accidentally ordered it, and they allow no cancellations, there goes my upgrade. Then used my SO's upgrade to get the 6+. She wanted a gold 6, so I added a new line to get the gold contract less, and then I will either return (they allow returns but no cancellations) or scalp the silver 6 and cancel the new line as soon as possible. All this time their website kept dying on me so this took an hour. And I was super sleepy so my thought process was messed up.

The 6s arrive next Friday, the 6+ arrives in October :(

Ninja Dom

Was that because of the size or because of the availability? Just curious. I am having second thoughts on the Plus because of its size, but want the better battery.

My pal that went with the Plus runs two phones. Currently he has an iPhone 5 & Galaxy Note 2. He specifically likes the large screen, eyes not so great. He hates Android and has a vested interest in the Apple ecosystem. The 6 Plus will allow him to sell/move on his Note 2 and go back to running one phone.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got the confirmation email from Verizon. Apple had to go and make it impossible to order directly from their app, so I had to go through Verizon. Arrival date is next Friday! $460 total though, oof.

Interfectum

This morning was a complete cluster.

It really was. There was no "for sure" way to order it and people were getting lucky finding ways to get it early so by the time everyone got their shit together the phones were backordered. Sucks but what can you do.

Same, any chance that's a placeholder? I ordered it at 3:01am though I realize people get get it earlier.

Yeah I got in before 3:01AM, so I can't imagine that not being a placeholder unless stock was incredibly limited. The status is "Preparing to Ship" however, and just an hour ago they hit my CC for the full amount, which would be crazy if it's a month out.

KorrZ

Nice - got my reservation in for a 16GB 6+ at Rogers and am in position 151. My other friend from work here just reserved it less than an hour later and is position 1250.

FinKL

So for TMobile US people, it's cheaper to get JUMP! ($10) than regular insurance ($12) even though JUMP is regular insurance + the ability trade in phone at 1 year mark, weird.

2x iPhone 6 (and 6+) w/128GB get. $1819 up-front, why not?

So for TMobile US people, it's cheaper to get JUMP! ($10) than regular insurance ($12) even though JUMP is regular insurance + the ability trade in phone at 1 year mark, weird.

Don't you own the phone? Or do you mean trade-it-in if you are paying it off monthly?

Smidget

What's the safest but not horribly giant case around? I know OtterBox is known for "safety", but it does seem like it's gigantic, even the "Commuter" series. I just made some cracks in my 4S and really screwed over my trade in this year/resellability :/

Squalor

They'll make way more money from reselling your used phone than they're losing with JUMP!
I'm an idiot. I should've just waited to order in the morning instead of trying last night.

This morning was so easy to order.
What is your expected delivery date?

Ambient80

Just got to AT&T and there's a line of about 15 people. I started joking with people, asking if it was the line for the new BlackBerry. I love joking with strangers. :)

noomi

Preordered an official black silicone case but might change that to a black leather one. If there's an iPhone 6 Power Support Air Jacket then I'm definitely gonna get one of those, I've got a black one for my iPhone 5 and it's great.

I opted for Spigen Neo Hybrid Metal and Regular, I hate having the apple logo cutout like that. I'll end up returning one of them.

FinKL

They'll make way more money from reselling your used phone than they're losing with JUMP!

What is your expected delivery date?
I'm at the slow ass checkout screen from My Tmo >_<

What if you don't use JUMP and just use it for the insurance? Win for us as we save $2

Don't you own the phone? Or do you mean trade-it-in if you are paying it off monthly?
No, I'm just comparing insurance plans. Tmobile offers JUMP which is $10 per a month which includes insurance AND the ability to trade in your phone for a new one OR just premium handset protection for $12. I was just wondering why anyone would choose the $12 insurance when you can get the $10 one which is cheaper and allows you to get a new handset. You don't have to trade in your phone if you're on jump

kaskade

Ok, my verizon confirmation email came around an hour after the order. I feel relieved. Besides not having the plan I wanted online their order process was pretty smooth.

With the crazy level of fitness app in IOS8, and the GoPro slow mo capabillities of the video camera, I am wondering what type of case(s) I really need to protect the Iphone 6 Plus.

I had a wrist band for my 4s which was located on my bicep but I never found it useful. Biking, running, lifting weights, shadow boxing. None of these activties are very intuitive to use a control the phone.

The best I have found is simply to have a pair of ear plugs with controls in them. The best ones have dedicated volume, pre and forward and mute/pause buttons, but these are rare. With a 6 Plus you will really want to have a protective case. I can see it falling out of pockets in your shorts when training and such.

I've been using this for the last 3 since 4S came out;

BookBook-4.jpg

It's been really good to me, also dabbling as a wallet.

The seam went up after 2 years, and I am now on my second one and this one is going up as well. It's a nice thing to have all your cards and phone and cash in one. Coins are in the pocket. The only thing I missed was more room for more plastic cards / social security / drivers licens / rebate /coupon cards and so on.

It's a really nice product for my Ipad and Macbook Pro as well. BookBook is the shit.

But I am just thinking that with 6S I might need something else. Something with good grip as I can try to 1-hand it on the go.

Life is more simple with a BookBook. I can leave the house with just this little book (people think its a bible) and my keys, and nothing else. It's really nice to be able to eliminate the wallet by combining phone and wallet into one. Another reason why Apple Pay sounds cool.

Squalor

What if you don't use JUMP and just use it for the insurance? Win for us as we save $2
I'm not too familiar with the program, but I thought you had to trade in your phone.

Anyway, yeah, it seems you're saving two dollars and in the future an old phone, haha.

Mdot

So I got my confirmation email from AT&T after pre-ordering a few hours ago... my iPhone 6 Plus will ship within 21 to 28 days :(

My email this morning says expected to arrive on or around the 19th. I did it with AT&T Premier since I have a discount from work, so I don't know if that's any different.

Interfectum

But I am just thinking that with 6S I might need something else. Something with good grip as I can try to 1-hand it on the go.

Life is more simple with a BookBook. I can leave the house with just this little book (people think its a bible) and my keys, and nothing else. It's really nice to be able to eliminate the wallet by combining phone and wallet into one. Another reason why Apple Pay sounds cool.

I also use my phone for fitness and as a wallet. I've been using this case for my iphone 5 (i get compliments and questions about where to get it pretty much anytime I pull it out to use a CC):
http://www.incipio.com/cases/iphone...-5-stashback-credit-card-hard-shell-case.html

I will be using this case for my iphone 6 plus (preordered on amazon):
http://www.incipio.com/cases/iphone...case-with-integrated-stand-iphone-6-plus.html

Top Bottom