• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You just answered your own question. Everyone knew the Plus would be extremely supply restricted, so half an hour of lost sleep is a fair trade to get the phone weeks (if not months) before one would by otherwise waiting until this morning.

Why was this a known thing, that the Plus would be so limited? I wasn't keeping up.

Anyway, I preordered my plus for delivery in October. I'm still a bit skeptical of the size but we'll see.

jetsetrez

Hmm, with Tmobile's no up front cost plan where you pay the $27 extra for 24 months, can that be paid off early? Trying to find an answer on their site but maybe I'm too tired.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What a clusterfuck. Took me till 5 am to order 3 phones. Got 1 6+ 128 space grey and a 6 128 gold for instore pick up. My personal 6+ 128 sliver won't ship till the following week.

Oh well could be worse.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sure money is a concern, but we're getting $200-$270 for each of the four iPhone 5s we're selling off. iPhones have good resell value.

I'm just pointing out that I ordered with no problem this morning and am getting everything in the launch window. I've been part of the hype before-- I stood in line all day to get an iPhone 4. The rest of my family ordered them online and got theirs a week later. It wasn't worth the time wasted to be "first".

Don't be that guy.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Ended up ordering an iPhone for myself on the AT&T site and on the Apple Store (I thought the AT&T order didn't go through). Both are scheduled to arrive next Friday-- what happens if I don't cancel one of them? Ideally l would like to give one of the phones to my Dad, as we're both on the same family account. Can I just transfer one of the phone's number to my Dad's when I get the phones?

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Rootbeer

Banned
Yes, full retail no interest. So mine is $749 for the 64GB 6. As mentioned, it is locked to AT&T. If you need unlocked, go T Mobile via their own site and they have their own alternative to Next.

Does it matter? Android people boast specs all the time and have of them still stutter in places where iPhones don't. Software tailored to the hardware is a beautifully efficient thing that Android users seem to forget when they snap back with "Snapdragon!"

My Nexus 5 is pretty damn fast, I'm not even that interested in more speed anymore. I'm still pondering an iPhone 6+ purchase though because I've encountered way more bugs and crashes on android than I ever did on iPhone.

I think I may just wait for people to get them in-hand and we can start learning a lot more about the pros and cons vs other phones. I do think 1GB of ram is pretty pathetic for a flagship phone as we enter 2015.

Everyone ordered the Plus?

This is too silly of a conversation for me, even for this forum.

No.

Why was this a known thing, that the Plus would be so limited? I wasn't keeping up.

Anyway, I preordered my plus for delivery in October. I'm still a bit skeptical of the size but we'll see.

For months it has been rumored that the 5.5" iPhone 6 would arrive after the 4.7" model. Only in the last few days before the announcement did rumors break that both sizes would be available at the same day. Apparently the consolation for the 5.5" being available day 1 is that stock was very low.

NekoFever

There were persistent rumours that it was lagging behind the 4.7-inch model in production because of manufacturing issues.

Here's a story from July talking about a potential delay, and it's one of many if you look around: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/13/iphone-6-production-issues-5-5-inch-delay-2015/

Seems Apple went for a day one release but with lower availability.

Has anyone read comics on a Galaxy Note or any other sort of Phablet? What is the quality like? I am thinking about getting the 6+ but may decide to just get a Retina Mini this year instead.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I ordered an iPhone 6 128GB and extended my plan with Telekom Germany. I am curious, how do the costs of my plan compare to what you'd have to pay for a similar plan in the US?

- 2-year plan with iPhone 6 128
- Flatrate for all in-country voice calls and texts to landline and mobile
- Max speed LTE with 500MB (lol) traffic (after that 64kBit flatrate)

Costs 50€ (~$65) per month and additional 379€ (~$490) for the phone.

Telekom Germany has a reputation for being shit expensive.

Hasney

O2 have posted their pricing on a non-crashing site for anyone waiting to access them:

http://cdn.news.o2.co.uk.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/iPhone-6-Pricing-Table.jpg

That's a bit more reasonable than EE, but the lack of data on some of those plans makes it go back as well. Helluva balancing act, but at least it's more flexible than EE.

Save_Us.3

EDIT: It's amazing that I get a 30% discount with O2 and I'd still spend more with them on every other phone with Three and have unlimited data/minutes, so I remain hopeful.

Bgamer90

Banned
I ordered an iPhone 6 128GB and extended my plan with Telekom Germany. I am curious, how do the costs of my plan compare to what you'd have to pay for a similar plan in the US?

I would say that's pretty much around the average price that people pay for their phones here in the US. 500mb is crazy though.

I can't imagine using these devices with only 500mb traffic. Canada tries to shit on us with similar deals. I just ended up waiting for a deal with the 2gb plan.

jetsetrez

Damn, anyone have experience with Tmobile on launch day? Their free shipping is 2-4 days, then they have an overnight option for $12 or a Saturday delivery option for $25. Would they really not have it on day one with the free shipping? Ugh.

Hasney

I can't imagine using these devices with only 500mb traffic. Canada tries to shit on us with similar deals. I just ended up waiting for a deal with the 2gb plan.

Yeah, considering I've used 6GB so far this month on my mobile data, I can't imagine having 500mb and then being billed. I'd be scared when my bills come out.

EDIT: My bad, had the range set to only this week. Make that 10.75GB.

ElTorro

I would say that's pretty much around the average price that people pay for their phones here in the US. 500mb is crazy though.

I agree. You can add additional 1,5GB for 10€ on a monthly basis. But there is no discount for adding that extra traffic permanently to the plan.

That's a bit more reasonable than EE, but the lack of data on some of those plans makes it go back as well. Helluva balancing act, but at least it's more flexible than EE.

Save_Us.3

EDIT: It's amazing that I get a 30% discount with O2 and I'd still spend more with them on every other phone with Three and have unlimited data/minutes, so I remain hopeful.

What's EE's tariffs?Can't access the site.

SeanR1221

Speaking of using data, NeoGaf uses the most of my mobile data by far.

I want to stop that.

I turned off gifs. will disabling embedded youtube videos help? I know I can turn off avatars and pictures but then it might become a real chore to read the page :p

ElTorro

Yeah, considering I've used 6GB so far this month on my mobile data, I can't imagine having 500mb and then being billed. I'd be scared when my bills come out.

My T-Mobile plan at least falls back on a slow traffic flatrate instead of automatically adding high speed traffic to the bill. But the 64kBit fallback is ridiculously slow, much slower than actual 64kBit. You can receive text mails, but that's basically it.

Hasney

6GB just for your phone? How do you do that?

Well I stream my 4 hours of wrestling weekly, my phone is saying 3.49GB for that. Google Play Music coming in at 4.32GB, Gametrailers app 1.45GB and auto phone/video backup (which I've just noticed backed up a video I downloaded) coming in at 1.26GB

noomi

You just answered your own question. Everyone knew the Plus would be extremely supply restricted, so half an hour of lost sleep is a fair trade to get the phone weeks (if not months) before one would by otherwise waiting until this morning.

Second confirmation being an additional after the initial confirmation email? Fingers crossed. I got my Plus order in before 3AM, and even got my wife's vanilla 6 order in early too, but I've only received the initial confirmation emails. One of which only arrived an hour ago.

At least now both orders who up on the order tracking page, including my grandfathered Unlimited plan being intact.

Yes, 1st got a conf about thank you for your order, 2nd conf about recent order status with additional info about shipping date, and then my CC got charged the full ammount after a $1 hold. :)

NekoFever

I only have 500MB data on my plan. The vast majority of my time is spent in places with wi-fi and I don't do anything data-intensive like streaming media. I average about 6MB data usage per day, mainly from email, Twitter and various messaging apps.

BearPawB

Banned
Well I stream my 4 hours of wrestling weekly, my phone is saying 3.49GB for that. Google Play Music coming in at 4.32GB, Gametrailers app 1.45GB and auto phone/video backup (which I've just noticed backed up a video I downloaded) coming in at 1.26GB

where are you that you cant use wifi to stream

giga

Hmm, with Tmobile's no up front cost plan where you pay the $27 extra for 24 months, can that be paid off early? Trying to find an answer on their site but maybe I'm too tired.
Yes. Equipment installment plan.

Also, looks like every single 6plus is sold out for the next month.

LordCanti

Ordered a 16gb 6+ from AT&T at 11:58pm (two minutes before it was to have gone live), woke up to this e-mail:

"Great news! Your order is in the process of being fulfilled. The expected shipment date for your new phone(s) is in the table below. 10/13/2014 to 10/22/2014"

You've got to be shitttttinggg meeeeee

I was pretty much set on pre-ordering a iPhone 6 in store at T-Mobile today but I keep second guessing myself. Maybe I'll just wait until the phones come out and try them first.

I have been feeling the same way. I keep wanting to go down to Best Buy this morning to put an order on one. I have some store credit for it and would trade in my 5S so it's a good deal. I would just end up having to pay an early upgrade fee of $400 with Bell. I may just wait to try them though as I'm torn on which one to get.

So what case is everyone gonna get?

Waiting for tech 21 to make theirs. That was my favorite 5 case.

I've used Grove cases since the 3GS, but I dunno about for the 6+ since have started to get out of control. They used to give discounts for pre-orders, but now they aren't doing that, and want full payment up front. The 6+ case has an early 2015 arrival to boot.

Juice

T-mobile's site finally goes up with preorders but chokes on all my credit cards at the last step

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Guess I'll just rely on my phone from apple and forget this shit. Wanted to buy from them to save my ETF but it's not worth it.

I have been feeling the same way. I keep wanting to go down to Best Buy this morning to put an order on one. I have some store credit for it and would trade in my 5S so it's a good deal. I would just end up having to pay an early upgrade fee of $400 with Bell. I may just wait to try them though as I'm torn on which one to get.

I rationalize it like this, if I was buying a samsung I would buy the S5, not the Note. So why should the iPhone be any different? I guess part of it is the naming, the 6 just sounds inferior when the big version is name 6+.

I also would assume that logically the 6 should perform better overall given the smaller screen size. I'm hesitant to get into another situation like the iPad 3 which was woefully underpowered.

Anyone else's cards not authorized? I know we have the funds but Apple says the card was declined.

Fucking Amex flagged it as fraudulent for me. I'm on hold with apple. Probably forever to try and figure out if my order was cancelled or not. Anyone have the same experience?

WARP10CK

Banned
Apple has been known all these years for design then this phone happens, the camera pointing out like that ???

Did someone in the design team resign from apple ?

Top Bottom