• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

If i had an ipad, i probably would have gotten a 6.

But I don't, so i am firmly fine moving into phablet territory.

I have an Ipad but want the Phablet as well. I found Iphone 4/5 too small to really be effective internet browsing when on the go.

My Ipad is my home device. its the coffee table / couch device everybody can pick up. It just sync to the other stuff. However my phone is personal and I dont like people messing with it. So I want to keep my email for personal use, message, facebook and all that on my phone, and disabled on mac and ipad. That's how I look at it.

Sometimes it gets a bit crazy if you get a message on facebook and three-four devices are simultaneously bleeping / vibrating:p

xtop

I'm not too familiar with the program, but I thought you had to trade in your phone.

Anyway, yeah, it seems you're saving two dollars and in the future an old phone, haha.

you only need to trade the phone in if it's not paid off. once you pay it off, it's yours

LordCanti

Has anyone that pre-ordered last night been able to get $200 for their iPhone 4 from AT&T? I see the page to do it now, but I've already pre-ordered and don't want to lose my spot in line. All of AT&T's chat people are busy and I can't get through.

My email this morning says expected to arrive on or around the 19th. I did it with AT&T Premier since I have a discount from work, so I don't know if that's any different.

I also did it through premiere, at 11:58, and it says October :/ Which model did you order/when?

Took an hour, but I got through on the iPad app this morning. Grabbed a 16GB 6. I thought about the 64, but I've never run out of space on my 5. I just use iTunes Match and Spotify for my music. Guess I'm calling out sick next Friday.

kaskade

And verizon still says the 6 is shipping on 9/19 at least the 64 gb. Didn't even have to stay up oh well. I guess it's part of the experience. I'm glad I switched from T-Mobile though. I would've been flipping if I stayed up and couldn't get my order in.

Servbot24

Banned
Finally got my order through with Sprint. It says they'd try to have it shipped by 9/19 but considering I was 6 hours late to order i'm expecting at least a month after that.

asdad123

I ordered the 6 64gb this morning but I just cancelled my ordered. Can justify spending $841 after tax and activation for a phone.

I'll buy a used one in a couple months.

andymcc

Banned
my dad wants to buy an iPhone 6 carrier unlocked. he has verizon. would the unlocked t-mobile phone work in this respect or would he need to order one straight from verizon? they all have the same cellular bands now, right?

muteki

Wife came around last minute and told me she was expecting a new phone as well...at 7am EST. Looks like she will be waiting until mid October.

Also, I realized that the reasonable ATT share plan prices were only reasonable if you go Next or buy the phone outright, which is pretty fucking shitty.

FinKL

my dad wants to buy an iPhone 6 carrier unlocked. he has verizon. would the unlocked t-mobile phone work in this respect or would he need to order one straight from verizon? they all have the same cellular bands now, right?

Dont quote me, but I think think Verizon is on CDMA , andTmobile is a GSM phone (Sim card) so I know they don't really play nice. LTE might be the same bands though

Any TMobile store success stories, still waiting to checkout... spinning circle checkout screen here

Animekatt

I'm an idiot. I should've just waited to order in the morning instead of trying last night.

This morning was so easy to order.

I just ordered mine about an hour ago. Was a very painless experience. I got the AT&T 64gb silver 6 regular, with it arriving to my house on the 19th. I also got AppleCare.

jetsetrez

Well, I did it. Jumped in with T-Mobile. Their rates for single plans are so much cheaper than any other carrier, it's crazy. Even paying monthly for my iPhone 6 to get it for no cost up-front, I will still be paying roughly the same as I was already paying on AT&T, but now getting unlimited talk and text (text was $20 on AT&T which was ludicrous, I was just using Google Voice + iMessage for texting). I'm going to pay off the phone quickly, and once that is gone my monthly bill will be way cheaper than it was on AT&T, plus I don't have to mess with Google Voice anymore for non-iOS texts, and I'll be contract-free. It took a lot of back and forth thinking, but this seems like a great solution for me. :)

Also, for those ordering 64/128GB models and decrying 16GB, what do you need all of that space for? My mind always boggles by that; people are always willing to pay hundreds more for more space, but I can't even think of what you could fill it all up with on a phone. If it's for music, I mean I have all of my albums in Google Play Music or iTunes, and for me 10-20 albums of current rotation is plenty, and even then I have plenty of space left. And photos/docs are all in the cloud, aside from recent library of photos on my device.

Smidget

Has anyone that pre-ordered last night been able to get $200 for their iPhone 4 from AT&T? I see the page to do it now, but I've already pre-ordered and don't want to lose my spot in line. All of AT&T's chat people are busy and I can't get through.

Where do you see that? Sorry blind.

It wont work. Has to be a Verizon phone.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to. The phone supports a lot of bands, but I think that really only means you can take the phone to other countries that are on the same type of network. Different countries use different cellular bands (even networks within the same country use different bands), so this makes it easier to use your phone everywhere. Apple has been pretty good about having a lot of bands though, so I'm not sure if much changes from more recent iPhones. That said, I don't think you can switch between GSM and CDMA networks on the same phone, though. I think only the US and Japan use CDMA (and I don't even know if Japan really uses CDMA or some type of variant). Most of the world and (ATT & Tmobile in the US) uses GSM.

BxVfRb0CcAA4iKF.jpg

So, with the in store reservation at 0, is there a point of me braving it out next week at a lineup to get it earlier (Canada, Toronto, for reference)

knitoe

Also, for those ordering 64/128GB models and decrying 16GB, what do you need all of that space for? My mind always boggles by that; people are always willing to pay hundreds more for more space, but I can't even think of what you could fill it all up with on a phone. If it's for music, I mean I have all of my albums in Google Play Music or iTunes, and for me 10-20 albums of current rotation is plenty, and even then I have plenty of space left. And photos/docs are all in the cloud, aside from recent library of photos on my device.
Guess, you don't take pics and/or video with your phone. On my IP5 64GB, currently, I have 24.3GB used just for them. Getting the 6+ 128GB will allow me to take more and keep more. And, I don't trust cloud for saving personal stuff.

Squalor

Better tell everyone with thousands of songs and photos and videos to get rid of their media because you only need 16 GB.

+Aliken+

Wait so the iPhone 6 is bigger than the 5s?

I can understand some people want a bigger model and that is the iPhone 6 plus.
But I am sure some people are fine with the 5s size, at least I am... I can't understand why they had to make the 6 bigger.

knitoe

Are these att 14-21 business days placeholder days? The arrival date still says pending
I hope so. On my 1st order at ~2:55EST, I got a confirm email at 3:01EST with 14-21 days and still say "Expected Ship Date: Pending Confirmation".

Edit: Just changed to "Expected Ship Date: 10/13/2014 To 10/22/2014" . This fucking better not be correct.

Vyer

But I am sure some people are fine with the 5s size, at least I am... I can't understand why they had to make the 6 bigger.

There's a lot of room between a 4.0 model and a 5.5 model.

For me, I'm fine with a bigger screen but didn't want a phablet. 4.7 is a much better size than 5.5 for my preferences.

Squalor

The iPhone 6 isn't that much bigger than the iPhone 5S.

The fact that it's "noticeably" thinner helps with that.

Servbot24

Banned

It's for music. I have a 16GB 4s right now and it's way too cramped, I constantly have to switch out albums. Since my iPhone is also my iPod that's really inconvenient.

After six and a half hours finally got my order through the O2 website. Sweet zombie jesus that was hard work.

Now the waiting game begins.

sangreal

the verizon one comes unlocked afaik

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to. The phone supports a lot of bands, but I think that really only means you can take the phone to other countries that are on the same type of network. Different countries use different cellular bands (even networks within the same country use different bands), so this makes it easier to use your phone everywhere. Apple has been pretty good about having a lot of bands though, so I'm not sure if much changes from more recent iPhones. That said, I don't think you can switch between GSM and CDMA networks on the same phone, though. I think only the US and Japan use CDMA (and I don't even know if Japan really uses CDMA or some type of variant). Most of the world and (ATT & Tmobile in the US) uses GSM.

the cdma model works on gsm networks (but lacks support for non-lte gsm 4g ie HSPA )

nikos

So I ordered via the Apple Store app last night right after preorders went up. Got a confirmation email immediately. Still haven't been charged though, not even a hold for $0.00 like some others are stating.

Did an AT&T 2-year upgrade for in-store pickup.

Anyone else on the same boat?

Squalor

Gents should I get a iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s.

Is there really a difference?
If you're in the market for a new phone right now, there is no reason to pick the iPhone 5S over the iPhone 6.
So I ordered last night right after preorders went up. Got a confirmation email immediately. Still haven't been charged though, not even a hold for $0.00 like some others are stating.

Did an AT&T 2-year upgrade for in-store pickup.

Anyone else on the same boat?
It's AT&T. Don't worry. They'll get their money.

As long as you have the confirmation, you'll be fine. Their servers and banks are all slammed right now.

nikos

If you're in the market for a new phone right now, there is no reason to pick the iPhone 5S over the iPhone 6.

It's AT&T. Don't worry. They'll get their money.

As long as you have the confirmation, you'll be fine. Their servers and banks are all slammed right now.

LOL, true. Ordered through Apple, forgot to mention that.

Cornbread78

Not sure if anyone posted it yet, but Wal-Mart starts their pre-order lists today when each stores Connection Center Opens up. The phones launch on the 19th at each store based on those pre-orders... I just read that at work last night as it was the first communication we received....

Oh, and it's just the standard iPhone 6, not the XL model.

AT&T is pretty terrible. Couldn't preorder my phone because they don't recognize people who have to buy their phone full price because of the family sharing plan. Said go to the store but not sure it'll worth it at this point.

LordCanti

Got off with AT&T chat. She confirmed that the October date is accurate even though I pre-ordered before midnight and that I'd be eligible for the iPhone 4 trade-in promo because I ordered before the 30th, even though the phone won't have arrived. I salvaged this phone after someone said it was "broken", so now with this and my 5 trade-in combined I'll have paid nothing for the 6+. That'll take the sting out of waiting til mid-October.

Where do you see that? Sorry blind.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/iphone-trade-in.html#fbid=UE3X9CIfYC7

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Even though the date says 3-4 weeks for the plus, I think that's a conservative estimate and it'll ship sooner. At least that's what's happened to me in the past with Apple. *prays*

jetsetrez

Guess, you don't take pics and/or video with your phone. On my IP5 64GB, currently, I have 24.3GB used just for them. Getting the 6+ 128GB will allow me to take more and keep more. And, I don't trust cloud for saving personal stuff.
I guess the difference is our acceptance of cloud storage. I love taking pics and video, but with iCloud (or Google Drive/OneDrive), I don't even think about it anymore. Once full backup of all of your photo albums to iCloud hits, I will be set.
Better tell everyone with thousands of songs and photos and videos to get rid of their media because you only need 16 GB.
No need to be a jerk, I was just asking a question. Like I said, I keep at least a dozen or more albums on my device at any one time and have the rest of my library at my fingertips in the cloud. I was just wondering what people's use cases were for wanting that much space.
It's for music. I have a 16GB 4s right now and it's way too cramped, I constantly have to switch out albums. Since my iPhone is also my iPod that's really inconvenient.
Ahh, I guess that's what I figured. I used to keep an iPod Classic for a long time so I know what you mean, I guess for me I just no longer feel the need to have my entire collection at the ready, as long as it's a quick download away.

Top Bottom