• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

cakefoo

No, I'm not. Apple says they eventually want to replace your wallet, and I cited reasons why that is not possible. Until they cover those bases, they cannot replace your wallet.

I am not saying NFC is pointless, stupid, a waste, whatever. I'm just extremely skeptical of Apple's stated goal.
Reasons it's not possible today, sure. But just adding a small backup battery to phones, or adding redundant functionality to a future version of the watch could make it a reality.

OlympicTechno

Neo Member
Part of me really wants the Plus but I don't know if it's too big for me. I currently have the 4s which is really small in comparison but I'll feel like I am getting an inferior phone if I just get the 6. Is it really worth it to get the Plus over the 6? The price isn't too much of an issue as some of the deals are really affordable over here in the UK.

Thinking back to Gruber’s screen res predictions, he got the iphone 6 resolution right and got the rendered pixels on the 6+ right, as well. pretty good for educated guessing. But Apple didn’t put in a screen with those pixels on the 6+ so they’re downsampling.

I wonder if any aliasing will be visible on the 6+ due to the non pixel perfect screen and rendering resolutions. I’ll have to see them in a store later this month, I guess. Or maybe some macro shots of the screen in reviews.

Can you explain this more? Your post has me worried due to the non-pixel perfect reference.

Durask

AT&T gives me 10/21 - 11/11 ship window, but charged my credit card already.

Isn't it good manners to charge the card when you actually ship the goods, not f-n two months in advance?

For those who cancelled your AT&T order, have they charged your card already when you cancelled it?

Isn't it good manners to charge the card when you actually ship the goods, not f-n two months in advance?

For those who cancelled your AT&T order, have they charged your card already when you cancelled it?

Just cancelled mine and I wasn't charged anything.

Sobriquet

Yeah, my card was already charged. It hasn't been removed yet, but it's only been a couple of hours.

edit: I'm assuming Apple won't charge me until it ships, like a normal company.

Corgi

Banned
Really curious if there will be any stock of 6+ at Apple stores.

How would that work though if you use an upgrade for AT&T preorder? Don't have any extra lines ready for upgrade.

DOWN

Banned
not in this case

CqnIwIW.png

http://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified

How the hell does that represent normal viewing distances?

This again seems to ignore the point of the Retina branding. Does more density make a difference? Yes. When you aren't looking for the difference? Almost never. Retina is not a botched idea that 6+ is correcting folks. It is successful on all Retina displays.

LCfiner

Can you explain this more? Your post has me worried due to the non-pixel perfect reference.

this was the page that Maninthemirror excerpted. it explains it better than i could in words, i think. (scroll down the page)

the 6+ display is 1080p but it’s rendering a larger screen size and downsampling. retina display macbook pros do this if you pick a scaled resolution that’s not exactly 2X the native resolution.

on the MBP, this downsampling adds a bit of fuzziness to text (only compared to the pixel perfect 2X retina resolution) but those screens are around 220 ppi, not 400 ppi as on the 6+. the downsampling might not produce any noticeable fuzziness.

this was the page that Maninthemirror excerpted. it explains it better than i could in words, i think. (scroll down the page)

the 6+ display is 1080p but it’s rendering a larger screen size and downsampling. retina display macbook pros do this if you pick a scaled resolution that’s not exactly 2X the native resolution.

on the MBP, this downsampling adds a bit of fuzziness to text (only compared to the pixel perfect 2X retina resolution) but those screens are around 220 ppi, not 400 ppi as on the 6+. the downsampling might not produce any noticeable fuzziness.

Hmm thanks. Almost makes me want to cancel and go for the 4.7. I read a ton of books on my kindle app on my phone. I would think PPI would not make much of a difference. You'd just see that 23/20 ratio more clearly as a result :p

LCfiner

Hmm thanks. Almost makes me want to cancel and go for the 4.7. I read a ton of books on my kindle app on my phone.

Yeah, that’s what I’m curious to see. first time Apple hasn’t gone pixel perfect on a display. always a little risk of artifacts when that’s done.

but keep in mind impressions form journalists at the hands on area didn’t mention anything about text fuzziness. So i think the high PPI may make any fuzziness on a scale so small that text still looks as good (or better) than the other, pixel perfect 326 ppi iPhones.

@effingvic. i think they usually come out a few days before the phones go on sale. so wednesday. give or take a day.

javie3d

anyone else on verizon not get charged yet?
i got my email confirmation and order #. just no chrage yet.

Should i be worried? :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Hmm thanks. Almost makes me want to cancel and go for the 4.7. I read a ton of books on my kindle app on my phone. I would think PPI would not make much of a difference. You'd just see that 23/20 ratio more clearly as a result :p

But the text is clearer on the Plus, due to the higher DPI. Right? I mean the A looks best in the image on the right. I'm looking forward to some reviews. Any more updates on the choppiness mentioned earlier with the Plus?

But the text is clearer on the Plus, due to the higher DPI. Right? I mean the A looks best in the image on the right. I'm looking forward to some reviews. Any more updates on the choppiness mentioned earlier with the Plus?

Yah that's fair. I don't think I gave full appreciation to the fact that it's rendering at 3x instead of 2x on the regular 6. The "a" does look better in the 6+ column.

MCasey

For $100 you get the Iphone 6+:

1. .8" bigger screen.
2. Optical Stabilization
3. Better battery
4. 1080P screen
5. Phablet (Phone/Tablet Mini)

The only real downside is the size but other than that totally worth the extra $100!

The OIS and Battery almost got me to go with the 6+, but the past few days I kept track how often I use my phone with one hand. A lot! Laying in bed, at work, etc. And I am 6'3" with decent sized hands. Still couldn't do it.
But for some the 5.5" will be great so enjoy. The battery on the 6+ makes me a bit jealous.

RC

Banned
We get so screwed up north. Tried to get another contract, but the new minimum monthly rate for an iPhone is now $70 a month. It's essentially the same plan I have now except $20 more. It'd be cheaper in the long run for me to get a 6 off contract and use one of those pay as you go plans. Ridiculous.

MCasey

Really curious if there will be any stock of 6+ at Apple stores.

How would that work though if you use an upgrade for AT&T preorder? Don't have any extra lines ready for upgrade.

There is always stock for those waiting in line in my experience. Also, for those that need to swap phones due to a defect, etc.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just called AT&T and they said my order never went through... Oh well, guess I get to wait and see how they actually look/feel in person next Friday when all my co-workers get them and I can make a better judgement call.

I canceled my 6 order that was going to be delivered on Friday, and went ahead and ordered a 6 Plus that is 3-4 weeks out. Go big or go home, right?

And my Verizon bill is actually going down by $10/month by getting rid of my unlimited data (sucks losing it, but I tracked my usage and it's only like .6GB/mo since I'm always around wifi).

Erebus

Wait, has any site reported about choppiness on the Plus? First time I'm hearing about this.

The OIS and Battery almost got me to go with the 6+, but the past few days I kept track how often I use my phone with one hand. A lot! Laying in bed, at work, etc. And I am 6'3" with decent sized hands. Still couldn't do it.
But for some the 5.5" will be great so enjoy. The battery on the 6+ makes me a bit jealous.

This. I rarely use my phone with two hands. Once the new and sexy wears off, it's still just a phone. I don't want it to be a hassle later on.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I finally ordered 2 iPhone 6s through a Verizon store. My husband's Silver is coming next Friday, my Space Gray isn't coming until 10/7 though:( I'm thinking about switching to the 128GB model to get it sooner, I see those are still available. I'm doing their Edge program so it would only be an extra $5/month.

I'm so impatient...

that's insane.
Same, though my wait was 3 hours.

Any of my "carrier system failure" / reservation bros get a launch batch 6 Plus? I'm 10/1 - 10/6...

Three hours of refreshing on four browsers, two computers, and an iPhone for nothing. Work was tough to get through on 90 minutes of sleep.

Corgi

Banned
iphone.PNG

not as bad as some of yall, but this is still bullshit for ordering at midnight.

Is the only way to get 6+ at launch date is through the first few mins the apple store was up?

Top Bottom