• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait, has any site reported about choppiness on the Plus? First time I'm hearing about this.

Earlier in the thread people posted that someone said the animations on the Plus looked choppier than on the 6, right around when the discussion of the was the Plus renders at 3x and downsamples to 1080p came up, while the 6 only renders at 2x. I don't think there was anything concrete though.

Ah, here we go:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...-and-6-plus-apples-first-crack-at-big-phones/

The 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus looks and feels much bigger, and it's harder to hold one-handed. It has a 1080p display, though sleuthing from developer Steve Troughton-Smith has already discovered that these images are actually being rendered at 2208×1242 and downscaled to 1080p. The phone uses a new “3x” graphics mode that calls for assets three times the resolution they would have been on a standard iPhone. Apple used the same method to avoid scaling problems when moving from standard displays to “Retina” displays (2x mode).

We didn’t see any visible blurriness as a result of this scaling, though some UI animations and transitions seemed to be a little choppier than they are on the iPhone 6 or our iPhone 5S
—we’ll need to wait for our full review to see just how the A8 chip handles the resolution change. On-screen buttons and other elements on the 6 Plus are a little larger than they are on the 6.

I'd still wait for more confirmations, it's the first I ever saw choppiness of the phone being mentioned, and sounds like something that wouldn't get past QA testing to me.

Corgi

Banned
I guess you can always go to an apple store next friday and try.

But yeah i can't imagine it going through QA, especially after people getting motion sickness from ios7 stuff, they would be extra picky to get the animations just right.

though that does remind me, ios8 GM does feel a tad bit more sluggish on my iphone 5 than ios 7.1

ido

C Spire isn't doing preorders but is getting the phones on the 19th.

Looks like I will be going there a few hours before they open.

Sometimes it's great being on a smaller carrier, in a relatively smaller town.

6 plus for me, 6 for the wife!

hopefully!

Marow

Thinking of buying iPhone 6 and I'm curious if you guys know any good case for it so far. I know it hasn't been released yet, but I've seen tons of cases popping up already. Anything you know you can recommend right off the bat?

Corgi

Banned
Thinking of buying iPhone 6 and I'm curious if you guys know any good case for it so far. I know it hasn't been released yet, but I've seen tons of cases popping up already. Anything you know you can recommend right off the bat?
spigen are great cases. and they are quite cheap atm on amazon.

I still don't get how people here can go nude for a phone that you are paying the price of a decent laptop for.

i carry the phone nude at home, but when out and about. no matter how careful you are, you still are human. might as well be safe.

Anyone find any glass protectors yet?

Mobius 1

Earlier in the thread people posted that someone said the animations on the Plus looked choppier than on the 6, right around when the discussion of the was the Plus renders at 3x and downsamples to 1080p came up, while the 6 only renders at 2x. I don't think there was anything concrete though.

Ah, here we go:

I'd still wait for more confirmations, it's the first I ever saw choppiness of the phone being mentioned, and sounds like something that wouldn't get past QA testing to me.

The retina MacBook pro suffered from animation slowdowns during the first few months in a similar scenario. It was eventually patched, but I think Apple would be willing to accept a level of performance hit to get this out of the door.

Erebus

Ah, here we go:

I see.

The reviews should be interesting next week.

Nori Chan

Anybody else not in their eligible update window? Is there anything I can do to get eligible with att? I'm literally one month away in october 14th...

Clipse

Anyone else just going to a carrier store early in the morning and hoping for the best? Worked out fine for me when the iPhone 5 was first released and from what I remember, the 5 was supposed to be in "limited supply" as well.

Erebus

....I really hope there isn't an issue :(
I'm willing to bet there won't be any. Except for the hands-on article quoted above, no other media outlet has mentioned anything about slugginess on the Plus if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not pretending to be an expert but I wouldn't be surprised if the A8 chip is higher clocked on the Plus than on the regular 6.

lexi

Banned
I'm not concerned. The A7 that was in the 5S is the same chip that powered the iPad Air and iPad mini at a much higher resolution -- and the A8 is 20nm with a billion more transistors. It is beyond capable.

Terrell

I guess you can always go to an apple store next friday and try.

But yeah i can't imagine it going through QA, especially after people getting motion sickness from ios7 stuff, they would be extra picky to get the animations just right.

though that does remind me, ios8 GM does feel a tad bit more sluggish on my iphone 5 than ios 7.1
I still think their solution was an over-reaction. Parallax and the zooming app opening animation was the problem, not stuff like animated weather representations.

KevinG

What an adventure last night.

64GB - Space Gray - 6 Plus (was the only one available, was oringailly going with the 16GB)
64GB - Silver - 6
16GB - Gold - 6

All three through the Apple Store app
Delivery on Sept. 19th

The 6 Plus was 3:05 EST, seems I got really lucky with that one. Had two orders through AT&Ts site, but canceled both. One was made by mistake and the other one in favor of the Silver 6 64GB through the app after hearing about AT&T screwing people over.

Anyone else just going to a carrier store early in the morning and hoping for the best? Worked out fine for me when the iPhone 5 was first released and from what I remember, the 5 was supposed to be in "limited supply" as well.

Yep, theres one 12 min walking distance from my dorm. Planning on getting there at store opening (10 AM, though I need to check if they open earlier for this), handing them my 4S for 200 off the regular 64 gig.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone successfully ordered through T-Mobile had their order status go past the "Being Processed" stage?

I pre-ordered in store (but it will still be shipped to my home), and I gave them my card information, but they haven't charged it yet. I was apparently the first person to pre-order with them after their systems came back online. Getting worried this won't be a launch day shipment and I'm going to have to cancel.

I want either a 6 or a 6+ because they have the most up to date specs. However, I think both phones are a uglier than the 5s. I know ascetics isnt everything, but it matters to me. I'll still get one if I have the opportunity though. Its just a bummer

Jomjom

Banned
If I'm going to try my luck with going in to a store on launch day what's a better choice, Apple store or local T-Mobile store?

Have a preorder at T-Mobile but I don't trust them to ship on time and my apple store preorder is Oct 13-20.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's probably not a big deal, which is why you won't find hands on people commenting on it too much. It wouldn't be the first time frame drops exist during UI transitions on iOS devices, and it's not something QA would be concerned about. Keep in mind, 5S and 6 have practically rock solid 60FPS UI.

kaskade

My Verizon order status page has like a weird number under the tracking number. As in not a normal tracking number. I was getting a little worried because I had to verify the charge. I was hoping it didn't mess anything up.

StoopKid

If I'm going to try my luck with going in to a store on launch day what's a better choice, Apple store or local T-Mobile store?

Have a preorder at T-Mobile but I don't trust them to ship on time and my apple store preorder is Oct 13-20.

I would say apple.

I've never seen a apple store run out of phones.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
And I was mad about getting an Oct 1st-7th date at 12:40PST on a 128 GB ATT Space Gray 6 Plus from Apple.

This is the exact model i'm getting with the same carrier, the same est. time too, and I ordered as soon as they let me! I want it on launch :(

I'm in the exact same boat with At&t business premier

15033793799_eecf23b86d_o.jpg
Same here....two months? Fuck that man. If it doesn't improve! I'm just going to cancel and try a walk in. F this crap

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The OIS and Battery almost got me to go with the 6+, but the past few days I kept track how often I use my phone with one hand. A lot! Laying in bed, at work, etc. And I am 6'3" with decent sized hands. Still couldn't do it.
But for some the 5.5" will be great so enjoy. The battery on the 6+ makes me a bit jealous.

I use my 5.5" phone one handed like 90% of the time. Easily.

kneePat

Same here....two months? Fuck that man. If it doesn't improve! I'm just going to cancel and try a walk in. F this crap

It really is quite ridiculous this time. They really have, embarrassingly so, underestimated demand and mismatched production. Maybe they just can't supply them but, it's going to be funny this holiday season seeing people walking into Apple Stores, asking for 6+'s, being denied, then told there are plenty of 6s!, and then walking out.

It really is quite ridiculous this time. They really have, embarrassingly so, underestimated demand and mismatched production. Maybe they just can't supply them but, it's going to be funny this holiday season seeing people walking into Apple Stores, asking for 6+'s, being denied, then told there are plenty of 6s!, and then walking out.

I'd walk out. I want that optical stabilization badly. I should have ordered through apple but it always has an issue with my at premier account with upgrades. Nov is too long.

yami4ct

[IG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15581662/iphone.PNG[/IMG]

not as bad as some of yall, but this is still bullshit for ordering at midnight.

Is the only way to get 6+ at launch date is through the first few mins the apple store was up?

Ordered 2 Space Grey 64 +s and 1 Gold 16 6 last night on verizon with no issues. Got my confirmation email that confirms delivery for launch. Granted, they went up a bit before midnight and I got in on it then, but they were definitely available at launch for a good 15 minutes or more. Not a long time, but definitely lasted longer than some of the bullshit I've seen with online ordering.

Really glad I didn't have to go through AT&T or Apple as both those experiences seem like they were hell.

wihio

I ordered 64gb Space Grey 6 from Verizon, got on like 6min early, went through the process and got hung up on the shipping address. Verizon simply would not accept any physical address in my town. Had to ship it to a friends place hours away. whatever. My order confirmation page states "deliver by 9/19/2014". Checked order status earlier today and it said "ship by 9/19" Later today I checked again and Verizon revamped the order status page. It has a different layout, but this time it simply states "Order processing, check back tomorrow."

Checked my credit card and the charge is pending.

Motherfuckers better deliver!

PS Motherfuckers better learn about my town, too. Customer service rep says "we use google maps to validate." Who the fuck do I contact to get my town on the list?

ciD_Vain

I ordered 64gb Space Grey 6 from Verizon, got on like 6min early, went through the process and got hung up on the shipping address. Verizon simply would not accept any physical address in my town. Had to ship it to a friends place hours away. whatever. My order confirmation page states "deliver by 9/19/2014". Checked order status earlier today and it said "ship by 9/19" Later today I checked again and Verizon revamped the order status page. It has a different layout, but this time it simply states "Order processing, check back tomorrow."

Checked my credit card and the charge is pending.

Motherfuckers better deliver!

PS Motherfuckers better learn about my town, too. Customer service rep says "we use google maps to validate." Who the fuck do I contact to get my town on the list?
What number did you call? I haven't had any sort pending charge on my card and I placed my order at 12am :/

Kemal86

Ordered mine.

I've owned the original 2007 iPhone, the 4, and the 5.

The 5 is by far my least favorite. My sleep/wake button crapped out after less than a year of use, the battery sucks ass, and I've had it get stuck thinking headphones were plugged in even when they wern't for hours at a time. Hope the 6 doesn't let me down. I LOVED my 4.

Iacobellis

Ordered mine.

The 5 is by far my least favorite. My sleep/wake button crapped out after less than a year of use, the battery sucks ass, and I've had it get stuck thinking headphones were plugged in even when they wern't for hours at a time. Hope the 6 doesn't let me down. I LOVED my 4.

Yep, the 5 had a slew of problems that never existed on any other iPhone I've owned, which would be the 3G, 4, and 4S.

The battery has gone to shit, my Sleep/Wake button also needed replacing, and my phone no longer connects to LTE towers or allows tethering and FaceTime over Cellular, although that may be an issue on AT&T's end.

And don't even get me started on the chamfered edges. They look great, but don't hold up well at all.

sirap

I wouldn't be surprised if the plus did end up having worse performance the the 6 and 5s. I remember how terrible the 3rd ipad was, the jump to retina made it perform worse than the ipad 2. The first retina 13 inch Macbook Pro wasn't so hot either.

That said? I'm still getting one. Can't wait to read books on that thing.

yami4ct

Ordered mine.

3G was probably the worst iPhone I've owned. I went through 3 of them (1 of them was legitimacy my fault as I cracked the screen, though). Shitty plastic back that cracked with the least bit of pressure around the ports, ports that were very sensitive to the least bit of dampness requiring you to blow them out with canned air to get them to operate properly again, home button that collected dust underneath and quit working and finally the worst ring mute rocker I've ever seen on a phone. I had 2 phones where the ring switch literally fell off of it. Garbage.

5 has its own set of problems with the glass sections on the back that crack like crazy, a screen that seemed even more susceptible to shattering than the 4 or 3G, and the chamfered edges that scratch like crazy. Usability wise, it's still my favorite phone I've ever owned.

Dominator

I wouldn't be surprised if the plus did end up having worse performance the the 6 and 5s. I remember how terrible the 3rd ipad was, the jump to retina made it perform worse than the ipad 2. The first retina 13 inch Macbook Pro wasn't so hot either.

That said? I'm still getting one. Can't wait to read books on that thing.
Yeah I might actually read on it. The 5S (and any iPhone before it) was just too small to read books but this might be perfect. No need for a Kindle now.

rude

Banned
Ordered mine.

I've owned the original, 3G and 4S. 3G is DEFINITELY the worst iteration.

Top Bottom