• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

AT&T could not get their shit together on how much my 5 was worth on trade-in. On the website it's $150 but in their store it's $200 but can't be used to actually order a 6+ and yadda yadda yadda. Employees not knowing their own promotions and stuff

I wouldn't be surprised if the plus did end up having worse performance the the 6 and 5s. I remember how terrible the 3rd ipad was, the jump to retina made it perform worse than the ipad 2. The first retina 13 inch Macbook Pro wasn't so hot either.

That said? I'm still getting one. Can't wait to read books on that thing.

Dude you just blew my mind.

Holy shit now I'm even more excited.

Dominator

Always a disheartening thing to see lol

ScreenShot2014-09-13at13921AM_zps09674e77.png

DOWN

Banned
Yeah I might actually read on it. The 5S (and any iPhone before it) was just too small to read books but this might be perfect. No need for a Kindle now.

On the bright side, you can still buy the books from the Kindle store on your iOS device and that way you have them anywhere if iBooks or the prices aren't your thing.

Apath

I didn't even think this could replace my Kindle. I'll miss the backlight not being like shining a flashlight into my eyes, but it really doesn't make much sense to keep my Paper White and have a 6 Plus.

Husker86

I didn't even think this could replace my Kindle. I'll miss the backlight not being like shining a flashlight into my eyes, but it really doesn't make much sense to keep my Paper White and have a 6 Plus.

Besides being easier on the eyes?

I've read books on phones, the paperwhite is much better.

I'm really excited about the curved glass. I still have my Nexus 4, and the curved edges are such a nice addition. I miss it on my Nexus 5.

Addnan

Also the battery life. Reading a book would surely kill the batter pretty quickly, having then screen on for so long. Kindle can go on for ever.

Jtrizzy

I don't get why people want such big screens on their phone. I have a 5 and would prefer the size from the 4. I may go for the 6, just for the fingerprint recognition and I need a hard drive bigger than 16 gigs for music and apps.

Apath

Besides being easier on the eyes?

I've read books on phones, the paperwhite is much better.

I'm really excited about the curved glass. I still have my Nexus 4, and the curved edges are such a nice addition. I miss it on my Nexus 5.
Have you tried reading books on a 5.5" screen? The kindle being easier on the eyes was my biggest motivator for getting it in the first place, but I've been browsing GAF at night lately, in bed on minimal brightness + inverted and it hasn't felt too bad.

I've been trying to downsize on the number of electronics I own, which was a huge motivator for me going with the Plus in the first place. It would be nice to be able to replace my iPad and my Kindle as well.
I don't get why people want such big screens on their phone. I have a 5 and would prefer the size from the 4. I may go for the 6, just for the fingerprint recognition and I need a hard drive bigger than 16 gigs for music and apps.
People just have different preferences. If you've used an iPad, you know doing most tasks is a lot more efficient on a bigger screen; it's all about meeting the right amount of productivity for the right amount of portability. For some people, a bigger screen is worth the hit in portability while for others it is not.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey. Does anyone know whether the Music app on the 6 Plus represents the iPhone version or the iPad version more? The landscape mode on the normal iPhone right now is USELESS. Album cover grid I don't want. But on the iPad, it's more like a full iTunes and works in both landscape and portrait. Has anyone seen how it looks on the 6+?

Apath

Someone posted an interesting thread on Reddit discussing the AT&T shipping estimates in relation to what happened during the launch of the 5S.

So apparently people ordering the 5S from AT&T got a shipping estimate of 10/1-10/13 or whatever, and the phone ended up shipping on time.

This particular post was very reassuring:
Reddit--RearmintSpino said:
I know I was one of the first people to get a 6 plus from the AT&T site. My phone was probably checked out by 2:58 AM. My shipping date is 11/09 to 11/27. Do I really think that many people ordered before me, they only had about 50 phones available, and I went to the back of the line for preorders? No.
I had the same thing happen with my 5s preorder and it came right on time. So the odds are that the same thing is happening this time. I cancelled one of my two 5s preorders and I felt like a moron when it showed up on time.
EDIT: This is from the AT&T forums. This is probably the best summary/reassurance I've seen so far-
I am seeing everyone freaking out about their emails or order status saying the estimate is 14, 21 or greater days out. Don't freak out, Don't cancel your orders, otherwise you will get delayed.
Historically speaking, those days are estimates based upon the amount of phones AT&T estimates being delivered from Apple.
If you ordered your phones right at 12AM PST/3AM EST (some were even able to order 15 minutes early including myself because AT&T had it up early) you will most likely get it on launch day.
Last year with the launch of the 5s, there were so many posts in this forum with everyone complaining about the same issue. The majority of all the orders had also said the delivery date would after the launch date and they were indeed delivered on delivery date.
http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/Don-t-Freak-Out-if-Shipping-Date-Doesn-t-Say-9-19/m-p/4068838#M215795

DOWN

Banned

Get that Apple Pay yo

I want it to become standard so bad but if it stays locked to Apple who knows how it does

But maybe there is still hope for those of us with an estimated shipping date of 10/3 - 10/10 :D

Yes that is a good point. I had to cancel mine from att (i had oct 13-20)

My strategy is simply. I cancelled from Att and pre ordered from Apple.com. the date still ended up at oct 13-20

HOWEVER.

I will go to the Apple store at 6 am waiting in line where if I do get in a position where I can get a 6+ then while in line I can cancel the Apple order right there with a Apple genius and then getting the 6+ in the store.

Apath

Yes that is a good point. I had to cancel mine from att (i had oct 13-20)

My strategy is simply. I cancelled from Att and pre ordered from Apple.com. the date still ended up at oct 13-20

HOWEVER.

I will go to the Apple store at 6 am waiting in line where if I do get in a position where I can get a 6+ then while in line I can cancel the Apple order right there with a Apple genius and then getting the 6+ in the store.
That's a good plan. Or you could just get two and try to resell one of them. If supply turns out to be as bad as it seems, getting one early October could still fetch a high price.
30/9 to 3/10 here. Plus 64Gb space gray.
Damn, from AT&T? What time did you order at?

That's a good plan. Or you could just get two and try to resell one of them. If supply turns out to be as bad as it seems, getting one early October could still fetch a high price.

Damn, from AT&T? What time did you order at?

No just off-contract from the store.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plus did end up having worse performance the the 6 and 5s. I remember how terrible the 3rd ipad was, the jump to retina made it perform worse than the ipad 2. The first retina 13 inch Macbook Pro wasn't so hot either.

I find it unlikely given that the iPads are almost identical to the phones now & they're pushing way higher resolutions. The iPad version of iOS 7 was shoddily optimised for its first few months, but it's super smooth now.

sirap

I find it unlikely given that the iPads are almost identical to the phones now & they're pushing way higher resolutions. The iPad version of iOS 7 was shoddily optimised for its first few months, but it's super smooth now.

I sure hope so. The ipads do have some beefed up hardware compared to the iphones, and their big batteries make up for any battery drain from all of that power.

ZeroX03

Banned

YES. Used to read books on the go on my S3 but the 5S is it a bit too small for that. 6 Plus will be perfect for reading.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Has anyone kept their unlimited data plan with Att ?? That is the only way I will think about this 6.
My 4s works except for the broke power button. I can keep it another year or two.

chidrock

AT&T could not get their shit together on how much my 5 was worth on trade-in. On the website it's $150 but in their store it's $200 but can't be used to actually order a 6+ and yadda yadda yadda. Employees not knowing their own promotions and stuff

Just hold off on trading it in right now. There should be a link at the bottom of your order confirmation email that goes to the promotion. If you read how it works, AT&T will send you a code when/after your phone ships. You will then have to enter that code on the website when you enter your info for the trade in.

I guess AT&T figured out one thing and that was that people wouldn't be able to trade in their phone until after their new phone arrives. The only problem is that this doesn't help you pay for the new phone, but you could apply it towards your monthly wireless bills.

Smidget

Has anyone kept their unlimited data plan with Att ?? That is the only way I will think about this 6.
My 4s works except for the broke power button. I can keep it another year or two.

Yep, ordered from AT&T website and it blatantly stated throughout the process and then in the confirmation emails that I get unlimited data.

Just got a text from T-Mobile saying that my order was in backorder (space gray 6+ 64GB). The lady on the phone said that it's in backorder 'by default' because they don't know what stock they'll get though.

Just got a text from T-Mobile saying that my order was in backorder (space gray 6+ 64GB). The lady on the phone said that it's in backorder 'by default' because they don't know what stock they'll get though.

Are you a T-Mobile jump member? I didn't order my phone until 11:30pm EST last night but I already got my confirmation and my order says preparing shipment. T-Mobile is giving priority processing to Jump members so maybe if you call and sign up, they'll push you ahead. I joined jump when I placed the order cause I wanted the phone at launch.

I just got a txt from Verizon saying they cancelled my iPhone 6 order from the other night. No reasoning was given, just that I could call or go back to the site to re-order.

I guess staying up til 4:30AM trying to get an order to go through their shitty website was a waste of time after all. My order was listed on the site and I had a confirmation number. However, I was worried because I never got a confirmation email.

LCfiner

for everyone talking about the comics on the 6+. do you zoom into panels?

I had a nexus 7 (2013 model) and found the screen too narrow (portrait mode) to be easy to read comics in full screen. comic pages are wider than the screen so pages have to shrink to fit entirely onto the screen. black top and bottom borders.

ipad mini was better, since it’s wider and the comic page isn’t shrunk down as much. and, naturally, 10” ipad was best.

a 5.5” screen that’s the same aspect ratio as the nexus 7 seems kinda small to me for comics, honestly. unless, of course, you’re zooming into panels.

not saying it’s not an improvement over a 4” screen, but I’d be surprised if anyone who reads a ton of comics would consider it as good as a 4:3 tablet screen of slightly larger size

BxXkN7pCYAAnKJr.jpg

Feels so good to be French.

Need to subtract sales tax / VAT from all the non-US countries. For instance, the UK price has 20% bolted on to all models because that's the rate, whereas the U.S. price doesn't include sales tax, which varies by state.

So - 6 Plus 64GB - VAT of £116.50 = £582.50 which = $947.41.

Apple retail store are reservations only right? So there's still a likely possibility that someone has just reserved for the heck of it and I'll be able to walk in and get one?

Top Bottom